PDA

View Full Version : Encouraging growth after...

marymonster
January 12th, 2012, 07:05 PM
Menopause? My mom is 50 now and her hair growth has slowed down quite a bit, like it probably grows a centimeter or less a month. Any help is great!!!! I know it's been bothering her. :hmm:

Sushi144
January 12th, 2012, 07:12 PM
I'd like to know about that too. My mom had terrible sheds at the beginning of her menopause, it just stopped a few months ago and just started to grow again.

Amber_Maiden
January 12th, 2012, 07:20 PM
Hormones are a very tricky thing...

Madora
January 12th, 2012, 08:18 PM
Menopause? My mom is 50 now and her hair growth has slowed down quite a bit, like it probably grows a centimeter or less a month. Any help is great!!!! I know it's been bothering her. :hmm:

I haven't a clue, marymonster. It could be a variety of issues.

How is her diet? What kind of products does she use on her hair?

Does she use heat on her hair?

Has she tried scalp massages?

Folks here have mentioned castor oil helping with hair growth.

Perhaps she might like to schedule an appointment with her physician and have a complete blood panel worked up (check for anemia, especially) not to mention having her thyroid checked.

spidermom
January 12th, 2012, 08:19 PM
I don't know about that. I can't see that menopause has done anything to my hair (except give me more white/silver ones).

Allychan
January 13th, 2012, 11:39 PM
My research has found that "The female hormone, estrogen (oestrogen), generally encourages hair to grow on the head, whereas high levels of the male hormone, testosterone can slow hair growth and lead to hair that sheds.

For some women (because we are all different), menopause affects hormone levels most often by lowering estrogen levels (less hair creation) and increasing testosterone (more hair fall) which can cause hair to thin and fall out."

I'd see a health provider to find natural ways to increase my estrogen and decrease testosterone.

Mommyof4
January 14th, 2012, 12:27 AM
My grandmother started taking MSM after menopause and she noticed it made her hair super thick, shiny, and healthy. It also helped her arthritis :) I've heard great things about Fo Ti Root helping with menopause in a variety of ways, including hair growth/loss.. Changing her diet a little might help with hormone imbalances, too. *It's so sweet that you're thinking of your mom! I hope my daughter loves me that much when she's grown up* :D