PDA

View Full Version : How to use Coconut oil?

SopphireGem
January 12th, 2012, 03:47 PM
I bought some coconut oil today, but how do I use it in my hair?

Zefyra
January 12th, 2012, 03:52 PM
There are few ways. If you want to use it as an everyday leave in, scoop a bit out, rub it in your hands to warm it up and then rub it through the mid lengths to ends, focusing on damaged areas. If you want to deep condition, slather all of your hair in the oil until it feels like you havent washed your hair in a week. Then leave it for as long as you can stand. (better effects if you can keep your head wrapped in a plastic bag and towel.
Ive also heard its good to use before you dye/bleach your hair, as it protects the hair from damage.
HTH

kdaniels8811
January 12th, 2012, 03:55 PM
For daily use, scoop out about half a pea amount. Any more will make your hair greasy. A tiny bit goes a long way. Rub it on your palms and smooth on your hair from the ears down.

spidermom
January 12th, 2012, 03:56 PM
Did you do a search? This exact question seems to come up about once a month or more.

I like to rub coconut oil between my hands and then stroke my hands down my hair the night before I plan to wash it.

Madora
January 12th, 2012, 03:58 PM
Here's an excellent article by Heidi W:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=71

vatikagirl
January 12th, 2012, 04:53 PM
I use liquid form of coconut oil. During winters it tends to solidify so I warm it up a lill bit by placing the jar in warm to hot water, turning it into liquid, then I use almost a tablespoon of coconut oil for heavy oiling my waist long iii hair.

For light oiling, I divide my hair in 4 equal sections, take 3 drops of oil and rub it between my palms and apply to one section starting at midlength and then finish it with top to bottom slide. Repeat same for other 3 sections, so in total around 12 drops of oil is used for light oiling.

I also do kind of medium oiling. When I'm not sure whether I want to wash my hair next day or not, I apply almost 20-25 drops of oil to my length.

Few or I'd say many fellow members in our LHC apply coconut oil daily but I personally can't make myself do that. My personal theory is that once you apply oil to your hair no matter what the amount or quantity, its an oil, it will attract some dirt and grime during the next 20-24 hours till the time of next application. Now adding more oil at this stage means like adding concrete on top of oil + dirt. So I personally don't do it. I have to wash my hair and have a clean start.

But you can experiment and find the best way which suits you.

Oh, forgot to mention I also use liquid coconut oil mixed with castor oil for scalp massages. I do them along with oiling my length with plain liquid coconut oil. Twice a Week.