PDA

View Full Version : The "guy with very unwieldy hair" thread

edwardh
January 12th, 2012, 09:06 AM
According to the advice by Arctic, I figured I would open this thread here.

Everything started here: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=85728

And I'll just continue what I would have posted there:

Have to say I'm unsure about how great sleeping with braided hair is. While I was twisting those two strands, I thought to myself "Well... that could get interesting tomorrow morning when I have to detangle that". I've never had to detangle my hair and was wondering why so many here talk about it. I guess now I know why. And my elastic got tied into 20-30 single strands so I had no other choice but rip it out... :/ (Then again - that may be because my current elastics are fairly thin...)
It did come out a little poofy than usual though. Will try the multi-elastic thing tonight.

@ Maktub

Comparing ingredients is a bit difficult... after all, when it comes to how healthy a product is, it doesn't come down to whether e.g. avocado is in it or not but whether or not e.g. benzyl alcohol. And since there are lots of ingredients, they vary a lot from product to product (and you really just need ONE very questionable ingredient to be different), I don't know all their properties and don't know all their translated names, I'm afraid that won't work...
At least not for your average products. Oils and stuff where it's just 2-3 natural ingredients... sure. Like that aloe vera.

@ justgreen

I see, you bend that cuff... thought the hair was supposed to hold it. Still I wonder... I don't know what kind of metal that is but usually, when you bend metal, it becomes soft and will break after a while?

@ Alex Lou

Unfortunately, it instead became more curly.
As for the whole plastics and flat irons thing - As I understood, the plates are made out of ceramic?
And I don't see how anything from plastic would enter your body unless you grind it up and swallow it, or - more realistically - burn it and sniff the fumes or are exposed to plastic that was just softened and is still giving off fumes because of that process (most famously new cars).

@ katsrevenge

Put it on my head to keep the hair out of the water so I can let the conditioner do it's magic :) (also see here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=18)

@ RitaPG

I would second your comment about the bravery... if she would actually do it all year round :)

@ StormVixen

Honey on toast? How is that going to help my hair? ;)
(Or was that supposed to be hair on toast? Of course that wouldn't change the question ;) )
And thanks for the wishes :)

@ xoxophelia

Ah, why? ;)
Seriously though - it's hair discussion... gender shouldn't matter, should it? :)

@ lunalocks

I've only just started to switch products... and am not yet CO. But I'll start that tomorrow. Then will be a better time for photos. :)

@ -j-

Thank you very much for the compliments :)

don´t brush wet hair

That's interesting... because so far, people have told me the opposite... ONLY comb my hair when it is wet.

didrash
January 12th, 2012, 09:07 AM
I don't get the point of this thread. If there is an old one why start a new one?

spidermom
January 12th, 2012, 09:40 AM
Combing and brushing are 2 different things. It is perfectly o.k. to use a comb on wet hair (carefully!), but not a brush.

Alibran
January 12th, 2012, 09:50 AM
I've read your first thread, and it sounds like you're having similar troubles to what I had when I started out. I couldn't braid either, and my hair was so poofy that, even once I'd managed to split it into 3 roughly even sections, I could barely get my hands round them, never mind get them to go where I wanted. I got there in the end, but the most technical I could manage was a french braid.

When I get up in the morning, my hair often looks like I've stuck my finger in an electric plug socket. My solution is conditioner. I use the same conditioner as I use for washing, and just dollop it in my hair and spread it through until it looks acceptable. Once I've got it looking OK, it tends to stay like that all day and doesn't poof up again. My hair looks better wet too, so I know where you're coming from. I think the conditioner gives it a bit of that look.

Tabitha
January 12th, 2012, 10:19 AM
I don't get the point of this thread. If there is an old one why start a new one?
The first thread was in the New section, which many LHCers don't read. Putting a thread in the Mane forum will get more views and therefore more advice, and will also help the OP with his post count.

Arctic
January 12th, 2012, 11:00 AM
Now you will get 25+ posts in no time, Edward!

Random smoothing tip I almost never read here on the forums: I often have to take my dog out when my hair is still wet/damp, and since it's winter here I put on a knitted cap. When I come back in, my hair is very smooth and frizz-free! Ofcourse this wouldn't have same effect on the lengths of hair, but it works on the hair against the scalp (mine is short at the moment).
((going out with dog is optional!))

Arctic
January 12th, 2012, 11:02 AM

Tabitha already said the reason. :flower:

MonaLisa
January 12th, 2012, 11:07 AM
You have beautiful eyes and long hair really suits you! Great hair color too! :)

Regarding hair care - always use a conditioner, detangle and comb gently and try to air-dry for start :)
I'm sure you will find awesome advice here!

Oh and welcome!

Rybe
January 12th, 2012, 12:01 PM
My husband has curly long hair, and for years his mother would give him "advice" on how to tame it and when we started dating would nag me and nag me and nag me for my secret to straight hair :rolleyes: I eventually got it through her head that it was GENETICS. Not my magical straitening routine. Anyway, his hair was gorgeous, but could be considered a "frizzy explosive mess" by some (clearly I still liked it :p)

ANYWAY I wouldn't say his hair's perfect, but since I've been coming here I've been looking at the curly tips and giving him advice. Now he's conditioning with a heavy moisturizing conditioner, shampooing only his scalp, then conditioning again. It has done wonders. He has more...defined curls I suppose. It's still curly, but it's not a poofy mess. He also just brushes it when wet (yes, he should be combing, but I can't find a non-crappy comb to save my life, and I know he's not willing to spend that much on his hair :rolleyes: It's a wide toothed brush!) He's a very laid back dude, and I think his curls suit him great. But I might be biased :D he's super Celtic looking with his lovely red curls! Except he's mostly Swedish. Mystery...

I know the advice I spewed is mostly advice others have spewed. But I felt like sharing anyway, since it's about a laid back dude who I'm sure would have been VERY HAPPY to have straight hair instead of his natural curls... But we worked it out 90% with very little effort. It wasn't an overnight switch, but it did work! (Oh, the stuff he's using is coincidentally SLS and cone free...but I'm not a SLS/cone-aphobe... Just seems to be what worked out)

jeanniet
January 12th, 2012, 12:43 PM
I agree with everyone who's said that you will find hair care much easier if you learn to live with your hair instead of fighting it all the time. Your hair isn't straight and trying to make it be what it's not is going to drive you crazy and give you damaged hair. I know you said you don't want curly hair, but from what I can see, you already do have curly hair. Don't wish for what you don't have. A lot of us here have been down that road, and have found that we're much happier having embraced the hair we have. Healthy, curly hair is very attractive.

Maktub
January 12th, 2012, 01:34 PM
Have to say I'm unsure about how great sleeping with braided hair is. While I was twisting those two strands, I thought to myself "Well... that could get interesting tomorrow morning when I have to detangle that". I've never had to detangle my hair and was wondering why so many here talk about it. I guess now I know why. And my elastic got tied into 20-30 single strands so I had no other choice but rip it out... :/ (Then again - that may be because my current elastics are fairly thin...)
It did come out a little poofy than usual though. Will try the multi-elastic thing tonight.

This should not happen ...

1) First, you need some safe elastics. No metal pieces. Not in plastic. like these should work :

http://images.cdnp1.beautylish.com/11/12/29/sc_74b8fa33fb836cde00a9935064063902/goody-ouchless-hair-elastics.jpg

http://www.momtrends.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/goody-Ouchless-Ball-300x300.jpg

2) You need to comb your hair first. gently. Ideally, with a wood comb (more gentle on hair), or at least a wide tooth comb. Like this :

http://www.thebodyshop-usa.com/img/packshot/products/detangling-comb_l.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_zp8Fn_8Lico/SA9o_Mw32zI/AAAAAAAACgw/XF4vGJHaKXw/s400/sephora_wide_tooth_comb.jpg

3) You should NEVER have to struggle with combing your hair. This is the 1st important tip : COMB BOTTOM-UP. Like this (what she does at 3:17)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2SF2FhVSw4&feature=related

4) Once hair is combed, then you can try either to put 3-4 elastics down a low ponytail. Learn to braid, or, twist your hair in 2 strands like this. Haven't watched it, but she seems to show the twist starting at 1:13 :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRfCnIHwlHo

Watch how she then ties it safely (without ripping any hair) at 3:17.

The IDEA behing this is that your hair doesn't tangle while you sleep. It can't, since it's held in place... hope that makes sense now ?

5) There is no reason for you to have knots in the morning if you do this correctly. If it's the case, then something went wrong somehow ;) It should be very easy to comb in the morning and not poofy / at a 90 degree angle...

edwardh
January 12th, 2012, 03:29 PM
@ Alibran

Glad I'm not the only one... What you describe fits my situation very well.
French braid... I've just watched an instruction... well.. here is what roughly my thoughts were: "... what? Hold what where how? Oh man... well... good thing I'm not interested in braiding my hair like that anyway" ; )

@ Arctic

Haha we'll see... maybe I'll just say "ah, screw it" a couple of posts from now ; )
The tip with the dog sounds intriguing though - and it's good that the actual dog is optional because getting one for this technique would seem like a bit of overkill to me ;)

@ MonaLisa

Well thank you very much :)
I wish I could return such compliments but it seems that precisely those users who give them tend to only have their hair in their signature/avatar :)
BUT... I do think the hair in your signature looks very lovely :)

@ Rybe

Maybe there are more non-swedish ancestors in his family than he knows of? :)
And still thanks for sharing :)

@ Maktub

I actually got the exact elastics from the first picture!! What are the chances... There is also only one store around here that sells them.
But I guess the hair got caught where that... mold? weld? is. You know, where it sticks together :)

Combing like her seems a bit counterproductive to my anti-poofyness-battle though? Nothing has changed in my attitude in the last 48 hours ;)

Also - I did not rip my hair while tying... how can you even do that? ;)
That's a nice video though, thanks : )
Was also good for a laugh because I always find it funny whenever I see people who obviously care a lot about their appearance but have no issue with sniffling loudly (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRfCnIHwlHo&t=3m12s) instead of using a tissue ;)

Maktub
January 12th, 2012, 03:44 PM
Combing like her seems a bit counterproductive to my anti-poofyness-battle though? Nothing has changed in my attitude in the last 48 hours ;)

ouf, I have SUCH a hard time being understood ! Maybe I don't write well...

combing your hair BEFORE getting it in place for the night : THAT, is to ensure that you don't have tangles in there and therefore, that is is tangle free in the morning. If you have tangles, it can't be sleek : how could it be ?

getting the hair secured in place (twist, braid, bun, whatever rocks your boat) : THAT is what will get the hair less pooffy - and keep it tangle free - in the morning (not the combing ! that's for the tangles).

If you've read above, you can get your hair a little damp also, while combing, before the securing... (or spray it with a good mixture of your choice...), before getting in in place. Before bed. THAT will reduce the poof even further (you will see the result when you wake up and it dried in place). Once you get your hair out of the twist / bun / braid (whatever) in the morning : that is when you will see the difference. You'll have nice waves in there, not poof.

That video was choosen specifically to show HOW TO comb. Bottom-up. That's all ;) You don't have the same hair texture than she does. Nor the one is the second video. I chose them only for visuals of what I was talking about. That's why I took the time to mention the exact seconds of the video I was talking about.

There are other ways. But seeing how hard it is to be understood, i'll stick with this explanation that really seems the easiest in my mind ! LOL :D

Maktub
January 12th, 2012, 03:47 PM
Also - I did not rip my hair while tying... how can you even do that? ;)

Well if you don't get all the hair laying down properly in the elastic, getting some crushed half in there... if you, for some reason, couldn't just gently slide it out, then it's because it wasn't tied right ;)

It shouldn't stick to the elastic...

edwardh
January 12th, 2012, 04:29 PM
ouf, I have SUCH a hard time being understood ! Maybe I don't write well...

Nah, you write fine... I think you may just assume that I know more about hair than I do. With me, there is very, very little that can be assumed in terms of hair knowledge ;)
Thanks for explaining... I'll try it out tonight :)

xoxophelia
January 12th, 2012, 04:34 PM
One thing that helps me depoof my hair when it is "naughty" is to damp bun it. This is extremely simple and fast which is why I do it.. ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsT5NXtA2XE

When your hair is still slightly damp, just twist it like that and then loop it around like in the video. I used to always keep mine up with a pencil or a paintbrush but you can also use hairsticks, hair ties if your hair is light enough, claw clips..

For a pencil, I would just stick the pencil under some of the hair beside the bun, weave it through the bun, and then stick it under some hair on the other side.

It takes about 30 seconds put your hair up this way and results in straighter hair (unless your hair is really thin). Worth a try.

Oh yeah, you take it out after an hour or so.

kaned_ferret
January 12th, 2012, 04:46 PM
Oh My God, you are my hair twin! I know exactly what you mean, and I can tell you, CO washing, and the use of coconut oil has transformed my hair absolutely!

xoxophelia
January 12th, 2012, 04:51 PM
^where are all of these 2a/M/C/ii/iii hair twins coming from o.o

photos or it didn't happen :P/does not exist.

katsrevenge
January 12th, 2012, 05:02 PM
What Maktub said. All of it. But.. I use this kind of hair tye: http://beauty3sixty5.com/2007/02/28/soft-light-no-damage-elastics-by-scunci/

I have finer hair and it hates the seam on the other kind. I got them in a dollar store a buck for 20. If you can't find them in Europe.. buy a pair of stockings and cut them into inch wide stripes. Same thing.

And... Most of us here enjoy well kept long hair on men. I know I do which is why I spoke up here.. and thus I'm glad when my guy grows his out. But I also help him shave when he doesn't want to do more then wash it any more. (In his defense he has 4a ish hair so it is more work.) If you don't think you will be able to keep it looking happy by all means trim it to where you are comfortable doing so.

Right now I have hair down to my waist. It takes me five minutes most days to do. For most of my life I had spike short punky cuts and medium length hair. I did no hair care other then brushing and throwing glop in to make it stand up or lay down. That's it. I had long hair as a teen... but I just balled it up in a claw clip. In pics it is rather sad looking.

With a few months of practice I can do three different kinds of braids (mostly just to sleep in), a few buns and I finally have hair that looks good long, is not poofy or dry looking. So not all of us have been doing this forever. I've only been doing this since I started here really... and when you have the posts you may go check my progress album to see the difference these little tricks can have.

MonaLisa
January 12th, 2012, 05:06 PM
Just start slowly...simple....1 thing at a time.
I lurked first...just kind of raised awareness gradually...my own.

More gentle handling.
After that - gave up heat...
Made some efforts to find proper products.
Experimented with some oils now and then...

Don't get overloaded with info... It's easy to add more stuff to your routine and make it optimal, in time...

And don't think that proper hair care means more time spent on hair...
You might get it to state where it's just wash and dry and occasional oil treatment, and no need to worry about all the problems you once had :)

You will see everyone's pictures once you become member, and you can add your own album, I'm sure many will be eager to see ;)

kaned_ferret
January 12th, 2012, 05:13 PM
^where are all of these 2a/M/C/ii/iii hair twins coming from o.o

photos or it didn't happen :P/does not exist.

Gah if only my bestie hadn't disappeared from facebook, there'd be plenty of old and embarrassing pics to prove it!

I think it's a normal hair type for natural redheads (but not the silky kind)

ETA: I also didn't look at his typing in his info box - just took one look at the hair and recognised it!

xoxophelia
January 12th, 2012, 05:25 PM
Gah if only my bestie hadn't disappeared from facebook, there'd be plenty of old and embarrassing pics to prove it!

I think it's a normal hair type for natural redheads (but not the silky kind)

ETA: I also didn't look at his typing in his info box - just took one look at the hair and recognised it!

Interesting.. I am not a red though. So I guess we are not 100% triplets..

edward: my hair used to look like I just got out of an electrocution chamber. Actually, I used to even blush at my own self looking in the mirror because of the state of it... :bigeyes:

Not brushing it and a little oil and aloe vera gel gives me:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4575&pictureid=116421

And the bunning method I described:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4575&pictureid=123293

(ps-my hair isn't red that was just really strange lighting/flash)

Sorry my hair looks sort of crappy in the second but it was after running with my hair in a bun..

If you can't see the photos let me know and I will just host them on photobucket or something..

Maktub
January 12th, 2012, 05:32 PM
xoxophelia, I think that first hair pic is so stunning ! Is that air dried down with oil & aloe ?

MonaLisa
January 12th, 2012, 05:34 PM
I also prefer how your hair looks in the first picture! :)
But you're just sooo gorgeous in the second one!

xoxophelia
January 12th, 2012, 05:41 PM
Maktub- yeah, for me that was air drying. What I did was mix about a pea sized amount of jojoba oil into about a quarter size of aloe vera gel and gently "scrunch" it into my hair. I have to be careful not to brush it also so I just finger comb it into place.

And thank you MonaLisa.. ^^.. I think it is because as much as I love black I actually look best in pastels. The irony...

edwardh
January 13th, 2012, 04:02 PM
@ xoxophelia

Thanks for that bun video, I'm gonna try that tonight :)
LOL @ blushing at looking in the mirror. Sounds interesting. If I would be able to get my hair to look anywhere near yours that would be awesome! But I'm afraid it just may not be that smooth...
And you're absolutely right, I can't see those photos. :/
But I still want to comment on black vs. pastel already. Because you do have photos wearing black and pastel in your blog too. And I gotta say I prefer the black. Especially because of your fairly pale skin tone. But then again I'm a sucker for what I would call "goth light" (harsh contrast but still mostly natural, no black lipstick, 100 piercings and such) ;) (all that thinking/talking about it just made me remember and want to share this stunning photo (http://fc09.deviantart.net/images/i/8/d/c/Towards_the_Sea.jpg) )

@ kaned_ferret

I think my hair might actually be curlier... I'll let the people judge soon :)
Gotta say by the way - your nickname caused some disturbing images to appear in my mind... weird mutant ferret-men getting their asses whacked... o_O ;)

@ katsrevenge

Oh I've seen those type of elastics around. Just don't know whether they have them in black. Will check :) (And actually possible look for even wider ones)

@ MonaLisa

Occasional oil? I was actually planning on doing it every second day, in between washs - Overkill? :) (Figured it may help especially since the hair is a bit poofy the morning after washing, the oil calms it a bit and on the second morning, it doesn't poof up that much any more anyway)

edwardh
January 13th, 2012, 04:09 PM
I by the way accidentally left my camera on the other week, so I'm waiting for the battery to be charged but since so many here want to see more photos of my hair, I figured I'd upload some taken with my cell in the meantime. So please excuse the ****ty quality :)

Here goes:
http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/7282/82877277.jpg

I guess the caption for this would be something like: My face will NOT be associated with THAT hair ;)

edwardh
January 13th, 2012, 04:11 PM
Haha one can't even write "****" here? Ah, wacky Americans ;)
But at least it gets censored automatically, saves me the trouble of wondering which words I can or can't use :)

Maktub
January 13th, 2012, 04:16 PM
I think you're a 2c/3a. Of course, you don't have to believe me :D
And your hair could be as smooth as anyone here. It's all a question of appropriate care. But again, no obligation to trust any of what I say. I've seen it happen on my own head - and in my own amazement though... :p

edwardh
January 13th, 2012, 04:37 PM
I think you're a 2c/3a. Of course, you don't have to believe me :D

I'll wait for some more votes and average the results ;)

And your hair could be as smooth as anyone here. It's all a question of appropriate care. But again, no obligation to trust any of what I say. I've seen it happen on my own head - and in my own amazement though... :p

If yours is so smooth now, why do you still have 2c/3a in your info? ;)
And as xoxophelia said the other day: "picture or it didn't happen" ;)
But I guess you have an album here anyway and I'll see it soon...

ladonna
January 13th, 2012, 04:40 PM
Oh you are going to have some awesome hair once LHC is done with you!!
I suggest only using conditioner, then apply some coconut oil, then finger comb, and then DO NOT touch your hair until it's dry. I also think you a 2c/3a or curlier.

Maktub
January 13th, 2012, 04:42 PM
If yours is so smooth now, why do you still have 2c/3a in your info? ;)

This I can answer !

type of hair has nothing to do with smoothness, frizz, etc. It's hair typing according to genetics. Some have completely strait hair, some have very very tight curls, and people are all in between.

My natural hair type is 2c/3a. That's my natural - genetic - "curl pattern".

Now, if I don't take care of my hair, it can be a frizzy mess going 360 degrees and completely uncontrolable.

If my hair is healthy, I get beautiful well formed curls that are shiny, soft, and obedient.

In each case, my natural genetics is a 2c/3a. I'll never be (naturally) a 1a completely strait hair girl.

Does that seem comprehensible ?

Maktub
January 13th, 2012, 04:46 PM
This is not me BUT simply to illustrate :

My 2c/3a hair can both be like this, if I don't take care and brush it dry, and damage it lots :

http://www.homeremediesbook.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/pic_of_frizzy_hair1.jpg

Or, like this, when it's healthy (but that's more like a 3b-3c hair...) but anyways, you'll get the point I hope :
http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/attachments/celebs-hair/11787d1292726540-your-celeb-hair-twin-halle-berry-7.jpg
Her curls are smooth, shiny, soft and not frizzy : they look healthy and well taken care of.

Any damaged or dry hair will not look it's best and - most often - will be a pain to live with. For us people who naturally curl (like me, like you), we easily get lots of "frizz". And I know it an drive us nuts and wanting some 1a strait hair. Yeah. Truth is, that's not our genetics, not how we were "genetically made". It's our choice to embrace it, or fight it. But it's a battle we'll never win (as being 1a and wanting some 3 or 4 curls...).

In both cases, this can be naturally "3-something hair" nothing to do with it's frizz factor ;)

edwardh
January 13th, 2012, 05:34 PM
Now finally a decent picture (although I gotta say I'm impressed and find it weird that my cell handled the colors better...):

http://img860.imageshack.us/img860/9329/igp2215.jpg (do people here prefer to link images instead of having them show up right in the post? Because it seems to me they do...)

@ ladonna:

We'll see ;)
Actually, what you see on the photo IS after CO, putting in leave-in conditioner afterwards and letting it air-dry. Nothing else. But... it's been only the second time I've done that and during the first time I still used some shampoo.

@ Maktub:

My 2c/3a hair can both be like this, if I don't take care and brush it dry, and damage it lots :

http://www.homeremediesbook.net/wp-c...izzy_hair1.jpg

Oh my... ... there is hair in that picture? ;)

Her curls are smooth, shiny, soft and not frizzy : they look healthy and well taken care of.

True. But I think on the lady above, I would still prefer her frizzy hair. Reminds me of the pictures I believe RitaPG posted in the other thread... Those funny before/after pictures. Where I actually still was gonna say something like "it's always laughable when they takes those photos under circumstances that will make the after always look better than the before, no matter what". And with that one it was the case as well. I actually preferred her poofy hair and I think if they would've taken that picture with decent lighting/camera, she wouldn't have looked goofy and put on the same make up as in the "after"-shot, she probably would've looked better.

edwardh
January 13th, 2012, 05:35 PM
Oh yeah...

Does that seem comprehensible ?

Yes it does :)

Maktub
January 13th, 2012, 05:40 PM
What "before" picture are you talking about ??

you like this : http://www.homeremediesbook.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/pic_of_frizzy_hair1.jpg

better than this : http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/attachments/celebs-hair/11787d1292726540-your-celeb-hair-twin-halle-berry-7.jpg

????

If that's what your aiming for, that's going to need other things than good care ;)

By the way, I though it was very easy to see that those are not the same people it's not a before / after shot (?!) ... Or do you think that 1st girl would look better with frizzy hair no matter what ? Anyways, it was, again, ONLY to illustrate specifically what I was saying about the hair "typing system" of 1-4 hair types....

In some cases, I agree after pictures look worst. But that's not usually the case (at least in my opinion and of what I saw with LHC members), and if THEY think it looks better, than that's all that counts. Right ?

edwardh
January 13th, 2012, 06:02 PM
What "before" picture are you talking about ??

Well, I'll show you both. I mean these here:
http://www.tightlycurly.com/images/content/BA_Chi_BeforeCR.jpg
http://www.tightlycurly.com/images/content/BA_Chi_After.jpg

you like this : http://www.homeremediesbook.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/pic_of_frizzy_hair1.jpg

better than this : http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/attachments/celebs-hair/11787d1292726540-your-celeb-hair-twin-halle-berry-7.jpg

????

Not in general, no. I'm just saying that I don't think those tight curls wuld look good on that first woman. But I also think the frizzy hair wouldn't look good on the second one. I think in these pictures, both have hair styles suitable for them.

If that's what your aiming for, that's going to need other things than good care ;)

Hell no I'm not aiming for that! Just because I like it on somebody else doesn't mean I want it for me :P

(by the way, I though it was very easy to see that those are not the same people it's not a before / after shot (?!) ... it was, again, ONLY to illustrate specifically what I was saying about the hair "typing system" of 1-4 hair types. But I'll stop trying to explain now, I have the feeling that it's never quite understood - the point I'm trying to make... lol).

No I got that. But you also talked about damaged vs. healthy. Implying healthy is better. But in this case, if that redhaired woman's healthy hair WOULD look like that of the second woman, she should leave it damaged ;)

In some cases, I agree after pictures look worst.

Hm... but my point was the opposite ;)

But that's not usually the case (at least in my opinion and of what I saw with LHC members),

I wasn't speaking about LHC but about tacky before/after photos from ads like that one on top.

Good luck with your hair and welcome to LHC once again ! :)

Thank you very much :)

spidermom
January 13th, 2012, 06:04 PM
My vote for your hair: 3A but needing moisture.

EdG
January 13th, 2012, 06:10 PM
Oh you are going to have some awesome hair once LHC is done with you!!You'll also learn the LHC technical jargon: new acronyms (BSL, TBL), new words (thudpile :thudpile:), and new definitions of existing words (cheese :cheese:).

Welcome from another Ed! :waving:
Ed

Kelikea
January 13th, 2012, 06:16 PM
I by the way accidentally left my camera on the other week, so I'm waiting for the battery to be charged but since so many here want to see more photos of my hair, I figured I'd upload some taken with my cell in the meantime. So please excuse the ****ty quality :)

Here goes:
http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/7282/82877277.jpg

I guess the caption for this would be something like: My face will NOT be associated with THAT hair ;)

This looks like at least 3a hair. Curlier and poofier than my 2b/2c. Maybe you should try the (sorry the name is a bit sexist) curlygirl method? There is a wurly and curly thread you might be interested in as well-devoted to the care of wavy and curly hair here: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=369

Maktub
January 13th, 2012, 06:20 PM
But in this case, if that redhaired woman's healthy hair WOULD look like that of the second woman, she should leave it damaged

Not saying she'd have the exact same curls the other one has.... if her hair was healthy, if wouldn't be poofy this way all the time : it would shine and be soft... etc. (not saying it is, I don't know her. But you seemd to say you have this poof problem of yours)

If she has 3a-b-c curls, naturally, genetically, and took care of her hair but did not like it, she could also learn to dry it in ways such as buns, braids, twists (etc.) to enable her to have (healthy) soft waves of the "2" range if she wanted to wear that instead of tight curls ... and it would still be soft, shiny, not frizzy. That's why "healthy" is "best" (to me) in the sense that it is also easier to work with. Because it won't "just be an incontrolable frizz ball"

If someday she did want to wear her major frizz 'do :rolleyes:, she could dry it upside down with a diffuser and then brush it out, and she could rock the puff just the same. It would just shine more and look more soft and moisturized ... it doesn't mean she's doomed to wearing 3a curls all the days of her life.

Being a "natural 3" only means that's what nature gave us to work with ;)

In some cases, I agree after pictures look worst.

Hm... but my point was the opposite ;)

So your point is... ? they always look best ?

Let's pretend I said : "In some cases, I've seen "after" pictures that look in worst condition, but rarely here."

Maktub
January 13th, 2012, 06:47 PM
Well, I'll show you both. I mean these here:
http://www.tightlycurly.com/images/content/BA_Chi_BeforeCR.jpg
http://www.tightlycurly.com/images/content/BA_Chi_After.jpg

That difference is very much a question of styling and styling products and doesn't show only the difference in the hair's health. She could still rock the 1st do with healthier hair (presuming that's what she now got, as it's an before / after picture). She'd simply have more defined curls, again, softer to the touch, etc.

Like this girl, who has very healthy gorgeous type '4' hair but styled it this way. With lots of gel / curl defining products, she could most probably have some glossy curl definition that would look somewhat like the "after" picture above ... That's very much a question of how you style your hair. Healthy hair is easier to style.

http://www.dayza.com/v2/photo_4f10db4768bbbcurls.jpg (http://www.dayza.com/)

ref : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fk_5Lqyj4qQ&feature=related

Both these girls are "type 4", as their curl pattern is more dense. guessing 1st one might be a 4b / 4c and the 2nd might be a 3c /4a (??) since her curl seems less tight. But to compare their natural curl pattern, they'd have to be "air dried" and "not touch" in their all natural fashion, not "styled".

isshevital
January 13th, 2012, 07:59 PM
Now finally a decent picture (although I gotta say I'm impressed and find it weird that my cell handled the colors better...):

http://img860.imageshack.us/img860/9329/igp2215.jpg (do people here prefer to link images instead of having them show up right in the post? Because it seems to me they do...)

Have to say, I'm a huge fan of the curls already! I used to have a total complex about my natural texture, and it was only after several compliments from strangers, friends, and co-workers (almost always something along the lines of "I love your curly hair! You are so lucky, I wish mine was curly like that!") that I started to accept that my hair's natural state might suit me best! I straightened it for several years before giving up the blowdryer and the flat-iron, and when I began allowing it to air dry and do its own thing, it looked very much like yours does in this picture! It's almost like your curls have to learn how to be curly again after being tortured for so long :)

My hair started to really become manageable and presentable when I began applying leave-in conditioner! It relaxes my curl a little and gives it a little bit of weight so that it isn't as poofy. I am unsure of what country you are in, but here in the states I use cheap Suave or Vo5 that is free of 'cones, protein, and humectants (actually a humectant is ok as long as it is very low on the list). They are intended as rinse-out conditioners but I just thin them out with a little water and apply them to my wet hair after getting out of the shower. I can also use it on dry hair to re-tame hair that has been slept on to get it back to looking presentable. Perhaps someone in your country can give you recommendations for a cheap, readily available conditioner that meets these requirements!

Also, I wonder if you might have to clarify your hair after using hair spray on it for an extended period of time. It will initially make your hair more dry, but then subsequently allow moisturizing products to do their job more effectively without a layer of build-up in the way.

I hope we are not overwhelming you with too much info at once :o

Edited to add: As far as what to do with your hair when sleeping, I sleep on a satin pillowcase and put my hair in a high, loose ponytail that is secured with a scrunchy. I wish that I had a camera to illustrate! But scrunchies, being covered in loose fabric, are very gentle to your hair and shouldn't get tangled in it or pull it out. Although if that is just a little too emasculating for you to put a scrunchy in your hair, by all means I understand :laugh:

holothuroidea
January 13th, 2012, 09:31 PM
Dude, your hair is curly. Get over it.

I call 3a/3b once the ridiculous lack of care for it is fixed.

pgw
January 14th, 2012, 06:51 AM
I think the real question is, what type of curls are you trying to achieve? Short of flat ironing, you’re going to have curly hair. Are you happy with the way your hair is now? Do you want more curl definition?

I’m sorry, but I don’t agree with your assessment of the two women in the photos posted by Maktub. I don’t care for the style on the red head. IMO her hair looks dry and damaged and I don’t think it would look GOOD on anyone.

Perhaps you should do a search and find a photo of the type/look of curly hair you are going for and then members can step in to advise you on the best way of achieving the look you want.

Presto
January 14th, 2012, 08:07 AM
No one has suggested doing a proper hairtyping yet?

We're all just guessing based on pictures of brushed hair? :lol:

justgreen
January 14th, 2012, 08:12 AM
No one has suggested doing a proper hairtyping yet?

We're all just guessing based on pictures of brushed hair? :lol:

I don't think he's too interested in a proper hair typing (doing all the work it entails). He's purely enjoying all the female attention though.:p

StormVixen
January 14th, 2012, 08:19 AM
I think this (http://www.boots.com/en/Umberto-Giannini-Scrunching-Curl-Friends-Jelly-200ml_50951/) would work wonders... :)

xoxophelia
January 14th, 2012, 12:57 PM
I would put those photos up on photobucket (they are also in my album) but I don't know if they would really be of much help to you. Your hair is definitely way curlier than mine *_*

The damp bunning thing still might give you a straighter look if that is what you are after.

The first thing I think you should do is get some conditioner. If you scalp isn't oily, don't bother shampooing your hair. Condition, let it sit for 5 minutes, and rinse it out. Do a bad job of rinsing it out though so a little is left behind. Don't brush your hair. That alone should help and is really very simple. Good starting point.

I am also somewhat opposed to being described as gothic light. I think I am just opposed to being described as anything :P
cheers

lapushka
January 14th, 2012, 02:01 PM
Dude, your hair is curly. Get over it.

I call 3a/3b once the ridiculous lack of care for it is fixed.

This. ^^ Very much so!

Loviatar
January 14th, 2012, 08:03 PM
Hi Edward,

I have read all the replies on this thread, and here is my advice, as your hair is very similar to my best friend's hair. She also brushes her curls, which I would advise stopping. ( haven't managed to get her to stop!)

For hairtyping, to establish your curls pattern, wash your hair with shampoo, I would use a clarifying shampoo. Check the ingredients. I use one which contains ammonium laureth or ammonium lauryl sulphate. It is a detergent which will strip residues and build-up from your hair (such as from the hairspray, which I would also stop using). Then condition with a moisturising conditioner, I have good results with Tresemme Naturals Moisture but you might have others that you like. Fingercomb your hair through, then let it air dry. Don't touch it while it's drying. Then take a photo and post it on here. Although I reckon you'll be a 3b at least.
You might be able to get away with doing this JUST with conditioner, as CurlyCap suggests below, but I would want to get any build-up or residue off so I could put the maximum moisture in. You may find, as my best friend did, that your hair starts to straighten naturally as your moisture levels improve.

Your hair looks like it needs a lot of moisture, again my best friend has had this problem. She has switched to the CO (Conditioner Only) way of washing and this has helped her frizz turn into spiral curls. She uses VO5 conditioners without silicones. I also CO sometimes, and I do not use a bag. I cover my wet hair in conditioner, then have my regular shower, then get out of the shower with my hair still all condition-y, put on my towel robe and take the shower head off the wall. Mine is removable which is really handy. I then turn the water heat down, add a little water to my hair, massage the conditioner through, or sometimes comb it through when my hair is longer (it's currently very short so I don't bother at the moment). I use a wide toothed 'seamless' comb, which means it has no lines on the teeth of the comb itself. Mine is made by Kent and cost £3 from a chemist. I then rinse out the conditioner. If my hair feels dry, again this was when my hair was longer, I used a small blob as a leave-in. I just work it up in my hands and run it through my hair.

You might also like to try some coconut oil mixed with aloe vera gel on the curls to separate them and give them more definition. Or if you prefer a ready made product from a store, Kinky Curly has some good butters and leave-in products. Boots Pink Curl Creme is meant to be good too if you can get it.

http://www.naturallycurly.com/ is a great place to start as well.

Good luck :)

Edit:
I've just read your original thread, and noticed that you don't want to have curly hair! No wonder you're asking a lot of questions. OK, there are ways to straighten your hair without flat irons and straightening product.

WRAPPING
Rini, a member here, has a straightening method which can be done without hair dryer or irons. I will try to find the thread for you. It is called the Wrapping Method I think.

BLOWDRYING
You could blow-dry your hair straight if you don't mind using a dryer; I would use a very low heat though. I blow dry my hair on cool at the moment, because trying to get my short choppy pixie cut (think Alice from the Twilight films) into shape without a dryer and a round brush is hell.

SALON TREATMENTS
If you don't mind going to a salon, the Brazilian keratin straightening system or Yuko system would permanently relax your curls, but it is very expensive. And you would have to keep going to have it redone as your hair grew, because it would of course grow in curly at the roots.

'STRAIGHT' RANGES
One of my friends has had good results with the John Frieda Frizz-Ease straightening shampoos, conditioners and leave-in products. You might want to try those if you can get them where you live (where is that BTW if you don't mind me asking?)

HENNA / CASSIA
Henna relaxes the curl for a lot of people, but it will make your hair redder. The colour is a permanent dye, be aware of this, and it darkens if you put more layers of henna on. If you stick to only hennaing the roots as they grow in, it should not darken. You already have a great colour as I've seen in your pictures, so I probably wouldn't go down this route. Also, using henna means you'd have to put henna mix, which is like mud in texture, on your hair for an hour or more. You might not fancy that!
Cassia MAY relax your curls as well, cassia is a plant similar to henna but giving no colour. Again it is mixed up into a mud-like consistency with water and left on the hair for an hour or so.

And for those who've told you to 'get over it', I see no reason why you should 'get over it'. If a person has straight hair and wants curly hair, he\she can have a perm or use rollers or curling irons. If you have curly hair and want straight hair, there is nothing wrong with that either and you can try different things to change it. You don't HAVE to embrace your natural texture if you don't want to. I'm a natural straight-haired brunette, and it's taken me from age 13 until now to stop dyeing my hair red or black, either with chemicals or with natural dyes like henna. My hair won't hold a curl to save its life, but I've tried and tried to make it do so. I look like a mousy brunette; I feel like a wild Celtic/Nordic redhead. I totally understand not wanting to keep your curls if they don't feel like 'you', Edward. Everyone's hair is their own to do with as they please. :flower:

I hope I have helped.

CurlyCap
January 14th, 2012, 08:22 PM
Take it from a curly girl, you're a 3a (big sidewalk chalk spirals) or 3b (sharpie sized spirals), but I can't tell because your hair is so neglected it makes me sad.

Thing is, curly hair responds well to simple changes in routine so it could look amazingly different if you were just willing to change your routine. Totally healthy hair comes with time.

I had your hair in middle and high school because no one told me how to care for it. You're on a board full of people (try the Wurly and Curly or Kinky 4 threads) who actually know what they are talking about. If you want to improve your hair, take the advice, try some new things out, and don't look like a neglected frizz head.

Women love curls. Hell, people love curls. As long as they are well cared for.

Feel free to look at my albums. You can see all the frizz in my Hair Typing album because I didn't put anything in my hair to control the frizz. That was air dried with no brushing. You have all the frizz plus the chaos of breaking your curl pattern with a brush or by running your hands through it. Easy to fix.

You can also look around and see how much a single head of hair can vary from day to day or from style to style. I'm not some model or someone trying to sell a product. I'm a woman who lived with your cell phone picture for YEARS. Curly hair IS slightly disobedient. It's also full of volume, amazingly flexible when styling, and, believe it or not, pretty rare to see on the streets. It's beautiful.

My best bet: Wash your hair with condition. Get out of the shower, quickly wrap a towel and just squeeze out the dripping water from your hair. Take a small amount of conditioner (maybe 2tbs) and run it over your hair. Don't finger comb. Let your hair just dry while you continue your day. Don't touch it until it's dry (to see the full effect). Then post pics. You'll be surprised.

Or don't. Hate your hair. It's your head.

ETA: I'd also like to chime in and support the poster who said that straightened curly hair never looks like naturally straight hair. EVER. Even the best blow out and flat iron just takes the volume out of our hair. Curly hair strands don't lie rod straight like a person born with straight hair. It will never have the movement. And, this is the most important, if you keep killing your hair trying to go for that look, you'll eventually ruin your hair. And if you don't like the public impression curly hair makes, I can promise you that Fried Hair + Balding is universally held in more contempt.

xoxophelia
January 14th, 2012, 08:29 PM
^there is nothing wrong with wanting straighter hair.. it doesn't mean you don't accept your natural hair or that you hate it.

It can be a simple stylistic choice. I used to color my hair black.. I don't hate my natural, I just enjoyed the change.

If you do go for straight hair permanently.. I can suggest Thermal Reconditioning. I had it last time I was in Japan and my hair was fantastic. It may be pretty pricey where you are though.

Loviatar
January 14th, 2012, 08:38 PM
I know I posted the Comment That Ate Tokyo above, but I just want to add, if you do go down the blow drying on cool route, don't do it with a round brush. A round brush will only give you more volume and/or curl. For straightening, a paddle brush or a cushion brush is best. They're the big flat oval or rectangular ones. Denman do a great oval paddle with plain metal pins. I swear by (rather than at) mine when my hair is long. But I am sure you could probably get one in a regular chemist or on the Swaps board here. Heck I've probably got a spare unused one I could send you (I have a hair brush-and-comb buying addiction... oh the shame, haha)

lacefrost
January 14th, 2012, 09:44 PM
Quick and Easy Tips to Have Non Frizzy Hair:

DON'T

1. Don't touch it while it's dry.

2. Don't shampoo it often (once or twice a week is nice)

3. Don't fight your hair (your hair will always win. always. always. always.)

DO

1. Do condition the HECK out of it. Dry hair is frizzy hair.

2. Do detangle it while it is wet and with conditioner. Tangly hair is frizzy hair. Tangly hair is dull hair. Tangly hair is poofy hair.

3. Do braid it at night. Braided hair prevents tangly hair. And as we know, tangly hair is poofy hair

4. Do figure out what your hair wants to be. Not what you want it to be, but what it wants to be. Once you've figured that out and your hair isn't frizzy any more then you can get all fancy.

No matter what you read about curly hair or frizzy hair, it all breaks down to what I've listed above.

*This is what's going on with your hair: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=7003&highlight=curlies+boom

*This is also useful:
http://tightlycurly.com/technique/therules/
http://tightlycurly.com/technique/curlyprimer/

Please also notice that when those curlies are being nice to their hair, it lays in pretty ringlets. Please also note that your hair wants to lay in pretty waves and pretty ringlets.

holothuroidea
January 14th, 2012, 09:44 PM
Alright alright. I never said he needed to embrace his hair as curly and never change it. I just think he needs to acknowledge that it exists. I've never seen so much blatant hair-denial. Well that's not true. My DH was always telling me his hair was straight when we were dating (he's 3a/3b). I swear if I rolled my eyes anymore they'd fall right out of my head.

The fact of the matter is that you will never have naturally straight hair. It seems really deluded to me to keep harping on the fact that you don't "feel" like you have curly hair when you clearly do! That's what I meant by "get over it."

Look if you want to make your hair straight because that's the look you want, that's great. Firstly, though, you need to care for your hair in it's natural state otherwise you're not going to get anywhere except a sad frizzy mess, which apparently you don't like because you're here.

And I do mean care for. It's tedious to keep something in good condition if you don't like it, if you do like it keeping it in good condition will come naturally.

pgw
January 15th, 2012, 06:33 AM
I agree with some of the others, the only way you’re going to get ‘straight’ hair is with thermal reconditioning. With curly hair, you can blow it out and flat iron it all you want but as soon as a little humidity hits it, it’s going to curl/frizz. Ask me how I know this.:rolleyes:

It appears the OP has left the building. lol

Loviatar
January 15th, 2012, 07:45 AM
[...] I just think he needs to acknowledge that it exists. I've never seen so much blatant hair-denial.
[...]
It seems really deluded to me to keep harping on the fact that you don't "feel" like you have curly hair when you clearly do! That's what I meant by "get over it."

1: He does acknowledge that it exists. He states that he has curls and wants to straighten them. I see nothing wrong in this.

2: It is not that he does not feel like he has curls, but that he does not feel like he should have curls. For years I did not feel like I should have brown hair. I have therefore coloured it red. Once, again, I see nothing wrong in this. I bleached and dyed my hair for years (I've been here since 2005) and nobody's given me a hard time about it, even when I've complained about my self-inflicted damage.

I honestly cannot get over your rudeness to a new member who is starting over on a basic level of haircare.

pgw
January 15th, 2012, 11:13 AM
I honestly cannot get over your rudeness to a new member who is starting over on a basic level of haircare.

^^ This. Not to mention this coming from another new member. :shrug:

holothuroidea
January 15th, 2012, 11:18 AM
1: He does acknowledge that it exists. He states that he has curls and wants to straighten them. I see nothing wrong in this.

2: It is not that he does not feel like he has curls, but that he does not feel like he should have curls. For years I did not feel like I should have brown hair. I have therefore coloured it red. Once, again, I see nothing wrong in this. I bleached and dyed my hair for years (I've been here since 2005) and nobody's given me a hard time about it, even when I've complained about my self-inflicted damage.

Well I'm sorry that you interpret my bluntness as rude and I hope that you don't really feel bad about it. I am but one small opinion in a sea of voices.

Sometimes I just calls em how I sees em. :shrug: Like I said, my DH did this whole "I don't want curly hair" thing.

Eboshi
January 15th, 2012, 11:39 AM
I find it incredible how some people hide behind the excuse of "honesty" to justify being blatantly rude and insensitive. :rolleyes:

If one cannot offer helpful advice to the poster it is perhaps best if they avoid certain threads altogether. No one is interested in reading "diarrhea of the fingers."

<Ploink> The sound of a re-addition to the "Ignore" list.

EdwardH good luck to you on your growing journey and managing the "wild" hair. Welcome to TLHC :flowers:

justgreen
January 15th, 2012, 01:28 PM
Ayyyiee the dreaded <ploink>

Well the thread is not dead yet, but it seems the OP might have fled . I think I probably would have too if people had told me to get over it and quit bleaching my hair.....

edwardh
January 15th, 2012, 05:48 PM
Some perceptive people here :)
(except for justgreen :P
"enjoying all the female attention"... yeah, because men are known to love the attention of dozens of women who keep referring to their boyfriends/husbands :P - This of course does not mean that I feel negatively about it. I'm neutral. And I have mentioned before that I don't see how gender even matters... you might as well all be male for all I care :P )

But... the fact that at least some people feel the need to try to convince me of something I don't want was only one of the reasons I haven't posted in a whopping 48 hours or so ;)
Although it may have been more of a reason than even I myself thought it was. Because I caught myself contemplating Yuko straightening after reading about that in another thread at roughly the same time, thinking "so many people who may even guide me into the wrong direction without me knowing it - Yuko will at least provide me with what I want fairly reliably and easily, even if it is expensive".
But then either yesterday or today, I remembered that the whole point of why I have long hair today is because I wanted to stop infusing my scalp with chemicals (I used to bleach them when they were short) and to me, the only good-looking red hair is long red hair.
Yeah, it takes the fun out of showing progress to people when the discussion is not about the change so far and what I could do or try next but what I "should really do".

I don't know... maybe I'll participate in other threads to get my regular membership status and be able to use the ignore list. Or I'll use that status to talk to people whose advice I've considered especially helpful privately. Of course the latter option would lack the ability of comparing various opinions and going with the one that seems to be predominant or most reasonable to me.
:shrug:

I just realized you have my favorite smiley here!!
Here it comes: :crazyq:
And it fits the current topic so well... :D

@ edg:

Thanks! And may I say - if your avatar is a good indicator, you sure look young, dude! It's really small but I thought that you'd be around 30...

EdwardH good luck to you on your growing journey and managing the "wild" hair. Welcome to TLHC :flowers:

@ Loviatar

Chemists sell combs? o_O

Maktub
January 15th, 2012, 05:58 PM
Hi !
Just FYI, I didn't mention chemical straitening, because you had said that you did not want chemicals ;)

Secondly, and I wonder if you got that point or not... the whole idea of treating your hair according to it's natural needs (moisture etc etc.) and to it's natural texture is exactly what will also HELP YOU be able to adopt a styling way of having it LESS curly, MORE strait and LESS frizzy hair you were asking for...

Not sure you understood that "embracing curls / getting hair healthy" is what will let you have sleek loose bun waves (for example) that won't frizz up or style it in straiter ways with it looking good (the kind of "good" YOU like) ... But you need healthy hair for that to work out.... I think many of us (maybe not all) were only trying to explain that :shrug:

& That's why so many of us mentionned that - 1st step - you need to understand your hair texture (hair type)

edwardh
January 15th, 2012, 05:59 PM
Some perceptive people here :)
(except for justgreen :P
"enjoying all the female attention"... yeah, because men are known to love the attention of dozens of women who keep referring to their boyfriends/husbands :P - This of course does not mean that I feel negatively about it. I'm neutral. And I have mentioned before that I don't see how gender even matters... you might as well all be male for all I care :P )

But... the fact that at least some people feel the need to try to convince me of something I don't want was only one of the reasons I haven't posted in a whopping 48 hours or so ;)
Although it may have been more of a reason than even I myself thought it was. Because I caught myself contemplating Yuko straightening after reading about that in another thread at roughly the same time, thinking "so many people who may even guide me into the wrong direction without me knowing it - Yuko will at least provide me with what I want fairly reliably and easily, even if it is expensive".
But then either yesterday or today, I remembered that the whole point of why I have long hair today is because I wanted to stop infusing my scalp with chemicals (I used to bleach them when they were short) and to me, the only good-looking red hair is long red hair.
Yeah, it takes the fun out of showing progress to people when the discussion is not about the change so far and what I could do or try next but what I "should really do".

I don't know... maybe I'll participate in other threads to get my regular membership status and be able to use the ignore list. Or I'll use that status to talk to people whose advice I've considered especially helpful privately (should they still wish to help me considering nobody else will be able to benefit). Of course the latter option would lack the ability of comparing various opinions and going with the one that seems to be predominant or most reasonable to me.
:shrug:

I just realized you have my favorite smiley here!!
Here it comes: :crazyq:
And it fits the current topic so well... :D

@ edg:

Thanks! And may I say - if your avatar is a good indicator, you sure look young, dude! It's really small but I thought that you'd be around 30...

@ Loviatar

Chemists sell combs? o_O

edwardh
January 15th, 2012, 05:59 PM
Whoops... so my first post that ended in a "Server unavailable" DID get posted after all... sorry about that.

edwardh
January 15th, 2012, 06:05 PM
I have a feeling people should really go back and see what I wrote. At no point did I write I'm hell-bent on straight hair. Yeah I'd really love it but I believe I also wrote multiple times that all I want right now is less frizz, however that may look. I just don't appreciate guides on how to get my curls better defined.

Maktub
January 15th, 2012, 06:09 PM
I have a feeling people should really go back and see what I wrote. At no point did I write I'm hell-bent on straight hair. Yeah I'd really love it but I believe I also wrote multiple times that all I want right now is less frizz, however that may look. I just don't appreciate guides on how to get my curls better defined.

I get that, and I know you mentionned soft waves were ok. But as I just mentionned between your 2 posts above, your hair needs care and lots of moisture inside of it (inside it's cutile) not to frizz in general. Because it's the lack of it that causes the frizz.

Then, the look you get each particular day, will all depends how you decide to style it.

Does that make sense ?

xoxophelia
January 15th, 2012, 07:25 PM
Well I hope at least some of what I said you feel applied to you.

For only less frizz, conditioner and less shampoo is a good start. That made a big difference for my hair right away.

kaned_ferret
January 16th, 2012, 11:54 AM
I almost feel as though I shouldn't post again, but ah well! Just wanted to say, after seeing the second round of pics you posted OP, I don't think you are my hair twin after all - like others have probably already said, I see a much tighter curl pattern... but all that said, the same still stands as to how I would go about treating the frizz - conditioner only washes, adding some form of oil (I'm loving the coconut personally) both when your hair is dry and when it's still wet after a wash. just blot the main wetness out of your hair then leave to air dry until it's done, no touching! And definitely no brushing or combing! I have finger combed my hair only when it has conditioner in, and when I'm having a fiddle with my hair once it it fully dry for over a year now, and I've got some nice hair coming on! I can also get it to go straighter if I like now that it's smoother, which is a bonus as I get bored easily, and like to keep a straight fringe :)

ETA: I just saw your post about my user name lol! when I created the moniker, it was indeed because Kane was a favourite wrestler of mine - the ferret part was in honour of my pet Loki (guess what he was! :D)

lacefrost
January 16th, 2012, 06:09 PM

Hm, here's an addendum to what I said: a lot of curlies (after doing what I listed in my previous post) will put their hair in a bun while it's still damp. When it's dry, they let it loose and get really pretty waves. Since I don't know how much of a curly you hair, I don't know how wavy it would be. Some folks can get it straight on top and only a little wavy at the ends.

Also, per the bolded, the reason many of us (including myself) have spoken on how to get curls better defined is because frizz is the result of an undefined curl or wave. The simplest thing to do is to keep your curls defined. But there are other waves to fight frizz without ending up in ringlets. They just take more time. Damp bunning, which I suggested, is the easiest and often the longest lasting. But you can also flatiron and blowdry. Rollersets can produce much looser curls/waves. Detangling your hair while wet and putting it in a braid would make it more wavy and less curly.

I really hope I didn't offend you. I was just trying to succinctly show you the quickest and easiest and most surefire way to get frizz-free hair. Everything else is very "ymmv" and when I was first starting to figure out my hair, I was very frustrated. I wish someone had just been like, "lacefrost, your hair is curly. You need conditioner, to detangle it and let it be." My hair would've skipped a full year of being awkward. But if you'll check my album you'll see I wear my hair in a variety of ways. My siggie pic is how my hair naturally is: 4a curls (curls the size of coffee stirrers) and loving to afro. I do also wear my hair in braids, updos, straight, wavy, loose curls, etc. etc. But I was only able to do that after I figured out that my hair is curly and that I needed to do what I listed in my previous guide.

I guess I'm just saying that I'm sorry if it felt like an attack. :flower:

Loviatar
January 16th, 2012, 06:51 PM

I'm sorry, Edward, for pushing the 'straight hair agenda' :) on you. I did not realise that what you wanted was just less frizz. When I read your original thread, when you said:
I should throw in that I do not want to have curly hair! I want it as straight and non-poofy as possible!
I assumed you wanted to get straight hair and not curly. Sorry I misread your needs.

If you are trying to minimise frizz, I would start a regimen of Conditioner Only washes, probably silicone free*, and possibly using a moisturising product such as a natural oil (coconut or jojoba seems to work well for a lot of people) as a leave-in on the wet/damp length and ends once you've washed. Do not brush your hair. Switch to a wide toothed comb. And try braiding your hair when it is wet/damp. That should help keep moisture in and minimise frizz.

*If you have used silicones for a long time prior to joining LHC, I would clarify before starting your CO regimen.

And yes, some chemists sell combs :) But I live in London and my favourite chemist sells a lot of organic products and fancy hair tools. You may want to look online, Kent do a good range of seamless combs, as do Mason Pearson although they are more expensive. Horn combs can be nice too and help distribute natural oils. My shower comb is plastic and made by Goody if that's any help. If you want to use a wooden comb, the Body Shop does good ones, but do not use them on wet or damp hair as the wood will swell, crack and eventually damage your hair.

Hpe that helps - and a belated welcome to the forum :flower:

edwardh
January 16th, 2012, 07:17 PM
Guys just stop. Please. This obviously simply doesn't work and until I figure out how to change that, I really don't want you to waste your time with this... nobody should feel like they've said something wrong, especially because it's usually the wrong people who feel bad. Besides... almost nobody should really feel bad because... I just expected this to work differently, is all. Plus some misunderstandings and threads moving so fast that people couldn't catch up... it's alright.

Loviatar
January 16th, 2012, 07:42 PM
No worries. I hope you figure out how to tame the mane. Your colour is fab, just the colour I tried to get with henna :)