PDA

View Full Version : And so the Monistat challenge begins...

MagicalMystery
January 12th, 2012, 01:37 AM
Hey gang,

Since my year in hair for 2011 consisted of cutting off damaged/bleached hair, I decided to focus 2012 on growth... perhaps even speedy growth. I've been reading a lot about Monistat and hair growth, and so tonight, I decided to begin an attempt at it. I diluted it with water and applied it to my scalp (which now feels like I applied toothpaste to it haha... feels tingly) and I guess it's a matter of waiting for possible results. How many of you have had success from Monistat and how did you apply it? Did you simply do as I did, or did you add anything else to the mix? If I see progress, I'll post photos. Right now, my longest layer is 5 inches... I'm crossing my fingers!

aster66
January 12th, 2012, 02:26 AM
Interesting thread! I´ve never used monistat before but I might in the future. So I will be keeping an eye on this thread :).

MagicalMystery
January 12th, 2012, 02:44 AM
Well at this point, I have nothing to lose! My hair grows pretty slowly, and to top it all off, it's curly so the growth is even less obvious. I'm really hoping this works! I just dyed my growth a level 8 medium blonde, so whatever new growth appears will be a level darker. I will keep you posted! :)

anastacia
January 12th, 2012, 02:58 AM
Hi I'm using Daktarin - the UK version. I've only been using for 2 weeks so can't comment in the growth yet. I apply every other day after I wash my hair, while it is still wet. I squeeze out a couple of ml's, rub my fingers together and massage my roots, doing a section at a time. E.g. Sides, then front, top, back, nape - squeezing more out for each section. Then I dry my hair as normal.

tolly
January 12th, 2012, 03:10 AM
monistat gives me appreciable growth. I normally grow 0.3inch per month and get 0.5inches with MN. I use daktarin, I just apply straight no ixing and rub into my scalp, parting hair in small segments, I apply a small amount and rub in till it disappears.
I notice I have to wash more frequently, every two days [compared to my normal once or twice a week] because my hair gets quite greasy at th root, due to the mineral oil in daktarin. I gets tiresome after a while so I end up using it for a month then taking a break. try it to see if you get any extra growth

MagicalMystery
January 12th, 2012, 02:21 PM
Nice. :) I'm very excited to see results!

jacqueline101
January 12th, 2012, 02:39 PM
I have used it for 6 months and I apply mine daily. I use the straight out of the tube method I tried to mix it with mane n tail condish but I think the straight applied method works for me. I did the water method and I got creative done the mixed with doo gro.

Long_hair_bear
January 12th, 2012, 03:15 PM
I'm starting with it tomorrow. Very excited!

MagicalMystery
January 13th, 2012, 05:05 PM
Awesome! Keep me posted with results! :)

PixxieStix
January 13th, 2012, 07:46 PM
I've never tried it, and don't think I will, I just currently do 10-15 minutes a day of scalp massaging, but I wanted to wish you luck! I hope you get the results you want. :)

Tizzles
January 13th, 2012, 10:56 PM
I apply Monistat straight to my scalp. I used to dilute it with warm water but I didn't feel like it was doing much for me. I have had one bad reaction thus far, a headache.. but it wasn't horrible and some excedrin took care of it quickly. I'm in a really awkward growing stage where I have a lot of layers on the top of my head and it's longer in the front, shorter in the back. It's growing, but it was growing slower than I wanted. The biggest piece of advice I can give you with the Monistat is to make sure you use it regularly and do not skip once you get your schedule set. I noticed an increase in my growth even on the longer pieces of hair in just 3 weeks when I first started. I slacked around the holidays and I'm back on again now for about a week. It works for most people, just stick with it!

Good luck :)

Long_hair_bear
January 15th, 2012, 03:09 PM
I'm actually starting it tonight. I wanted to start sooner, but finances got in the way. I'll let everyone know how it went in a few months. :D

pierrotlunaire
January 15th, 2012, 03:27 PM
I am thinking of starting it too, so I will post my results in a month.

Long_hair_bear
January 15th, 2012, 04:08 PM
I apply Monistat straight to my scalp. I used to dilute it with warm water but I didn't feel like it was doing much for me. I have had one bad reaction thus far, a headache.. but it wasn't horrible and some excedrin took care of it quickly. I'm in a really awkward growing stage where I have a lot of layers on the top of my head and it's longer in the front, shorter in the back. It's growing, but it was growing slower than I wanted. The biggest piece of advice I can give you with the Monistat is to make sure you use it regularly and do not skip once you get your schedule set. I noticed an increase in my growth even on the longer pieces of hair in just 3 weeks when I first started. I slacked around the holidays and I'm back on again now for about a week. It works for most people, just stick with it!

Good luck :)

I'm diluting mine in an effort to save money and hopefully, a potential headache. I put it on 15 minutes ago and no headache yet, so we will see. :pray:

SopphireGem
January 16th, 2012, 03:36 PM
What is Monistat? How does it work?

Long_hair_bear
January 16th, 2012, 03:50 PM
What is Monistat? How does it work?

It's a cream you can get at the drugstore. It's supposed to make your hair grow faster in theory. I mix mine with alittle water then put it in an applicator bottle and massage it into my scalp. Look here:

http://suicidesevemonistat.blogspot.com/

Everything you need to know.

Longing4Long
January 25th, 2012, 02:01 PM
Ok I jumped on the Monistat bandwagon exactly a week ago. I'm diluting a dime size amount into 1 oz of warm water and applying it to with a nozzle bottle like you do when coloring hair. I'm concentrating on the front part of my hair as I want my bangs to grow faster so that I can have even length with the rest of my hair. My hair tends to be shorter/thinner at the front sides (thanks to my daddy's reseding hairline gene -similar to Jude Law's). In addition I have a couple of small circular scars in the front of my head from when I had chicken-pox some 20 years ago.

Anyway, here is my first update:

Initially I had some kind of discomfort not exactly a headache but just felt a bit weird and had a bitter taste in my mouth. I guess from touching my head and then touching my mouth/face. I don't have discomfort anymore after 7 days. I color my hair almost every month to cover gray so I would know exactly how much growth I get. The last time I colored my hair was before New Years day. There was approx half a cm of growth prior to starting the Monistat. So far I have not noticed too much growth but then again it has only been 7 days and maybe 4 applications so it is too soon to tell. I will say thought, the chicken-pox scars have tiny baby hairs growing AND I have not shed as much as I normally do.. so I think it's working! :cheese: I'll give another update after a month of use.

Longing4Long
January 25th, 2012, 02:09 PM
oh and by the way when I bought the cream the cashier could not look at me in the eyes:shake:
Also my bf saw the cream in the bathroom and asked "What is a tube of Monistat doing in my toiletry bag?".. I replied "No, I don't have a yeast infection I'm using it on my face" I could not tell him it was for my hair because he has already given me long speeches when I put honey, olive oil, eggs on my hair and has asked me not to do that.. LOL.. he says I should use hair products and not food.. LOL..

FrenchTwist
January 25th, 2012, 04:00 PM
It has been helpful to read this thread.. as I bought Monistat last week but was not sure how to use. I will give it a try..

bunzfan
January 26th, 2012, 04:52 AM
Just wanted to chime in and say last time i tried it back in October for 8 weeks i got over 2 inches of growth in that time, i applied daily with a diluted solution of water and Daktarin . As my growth seems to have slowed down again i'm doing it again applying daily, i know they say it stays active for 3 days but i got the best results! applying daily and a tube lasted me about 2 weeks.

Mesmerise
January 26th, 2012, 05:10 AM
I find it funny that Monistat has a different prescribed "use" than Daktarin (which is marketed for Athlete's foot). Hehe.

Anyways, I bought some Daktarin a while ago, and haven't used it regularly. I have decided that next time I henna my hair, I'll start using it again, and do so regularly for a month to see what sort of growth I get.

I probably won't henna for another 1.5 weeks (first Monday after kids go back to school) so I'll start the Daktarin then, and see what I get in a month!!

If I notice an appreciable improvement in my growth rate I'll keep going. I really want my hair to grow faster as I'm growing out damage, and really can't focus on LENGTH until the damage is gone!

Long_hair_bear
January 26th, 2012, 06:09 AM
Just wanted to chime in and say last time i tried it back in October for 8 weeks i got over 2 inches of growth in that time, i applied daily with a diluted solution of water and Daktarin . As my growth seems to have slowed down again i'm doing it again applying daily, i know they say it stays active for 3 days but i got the best results! applying daily and a tube lasted me about 2 weeks.

I apply every other day. :D we'll see how it goes!

hellucy
January 26th, 2012, 06:21 AM
I had no idea that daktarin would speed up hair growth - if I had I'd have tried it ages ago!
I think I might have a part tube in the medicine box so I can start straight away, Yay:)!

MamaCimino
January 26th, 2012, 03:46 PM
I'm going to start doing this again too. I started at the end of the summer last year but I never did it long enough to tell the difference! I am determined to get my hair growing again!

TropicalBreeze
January 26th, 2012, 03:50 PM
I'm anxious to do this again. I did try it this past fall with Monistat and had great results. Now my question is I found an anti-fungal foot spray with miconazole nitrate in it call Micatin and it's cheaper than Monistat. Would this be okay to use?

MaryMarx
January 27th, 2012, 03:31 AM
I want to try this too...
So, other than the headache, does it have any other side effect? Anything when you stop using it, besides the growth goes back to normal? Like, shedding or something?

Hm, I also wonder, since I live a nordic country and it might be expensive to order from UK or US, do you think I can try to find a similar cream here? If I check the ingredient list and try to come as close as possible to the Monistat och Daktarin ingredients? :)

luciferia
January 27th, 2012, 03:40 AM
I tried Monistat for 2 days and couldn't do it any longer as it gave me terrible headaches. As in, I was throwing up because it hurt so bad.

I'm still curious to try diluting it with oil before using... but I'm scared.

Buffy
January 27th, 2012, 04:25 AM
Wait, may i ask something? Why would this cause headaches? Isn't this a bit odd? It gets absorbed by the skin, i can see no reason why this could have any liaison with nerv pains.....

B-L
January 27th, 2012, 04:40 AM
Wait, may i ask something? Why would this cause headaches? Isn't this a bit odd? It gets absorbed by the skin, i can see no reason why this could have any liaison with nerv pains.....

Now I'm just guessing but maybe the cream it self didn't cause headache but if the scalp reacts to the cream maybe you'll get headache because it's so sensetive? I know many people who can't wear headbands and such cuz they get headache from it.. :confused::headache:

littlemissevil
January 27th, 2012, 05:08 AM
MaryMarx you can find similar products at the pharmacies in Scandinavia, I found it in Sweden and now in Turkey as well so it is a worldwide thing :)) I did this a few years ago and it grew a lot. Im starting again as well. :)

MaryMarx
January 27th, 2012, 05:27 AM
MaryMarx you can find similar products at the pharmacies in Scandinavia, I found it in Sweden and now in Turkey as well so it is a worldwide thing :)) I did this a few years ago and it grew a lot. Im starting again as well. :)

Great! I was thinking maybe the abroad stuff is stronger or something... well them, off to the pharmacist! :p

Long_hair_bear
January 27th, 2012, 08:17 AM
I never got headaches but I dilute mine. 3 tbsp water to 1 inch strip of mn.

bunzfan
January 27th, 2012, 08:19 AM
I use Daktarin and i started using it neat yesterday instead of my usual diluted solution, no headaches just a mild tingling and i'm prone to bad sinus headaches.

beachgirlla
January 27th, 2012, 09:09 AM
Monistat is not good to be used everyday, it was designed to be used for few days for yeast infection in that area, I have heard some good rumors that monistat or whatever equivalent to it may cause liver damage or liver problem, be careful, is your hair worth much more than your life?, your hair will eventually will grow, at least 0.5/inch/month, do you think an extra 0.5 inch per month worth risking your health/life?

Buffy
January 27th, 2012, 09:17 AM
Monistat is not good to be used everyday, it was designed to be used for few days for yeast infection in that area, I have heard some good rumors that monistat or whatever equivalent to it may cause liver damage or liver problem, be careful, is your hair worth much more than your life?, your hair will eventually will grow, at least 0.5/inch/month, do you think an extra 0.5 inch per month worth risking your health/life?

I kind of agree! Not totally, cause i don't think something applied on the skin could cause that huge damage on your inner organs, but still, i won't risk it! This headache thing sounds odd to me.

Long_hair_bear
January 27th, 2012, 09:20 AM

Well, if you look at it that way, no one should ever drink alcohol or take pain pills either. A lot of things damage your liver, but in moderation, your liver can handle them. Plus, I've never heard of mn causing liver damage. It certainly doesn't say that on the box, and if it were true, they would legally have to put it on the box.

bunzfan
January 27th, 2012, 09:30 AM
Well, if you look at it that way, no one should ever drink alcohol or take pain pills either. A lot of things damage your liver, but in moderation, your liver can handle them. Plus, I've never heard of mn causing liver damage. It certainly doesn't say that on the box, and if it were true, they would legally have to put it on the box.

I was worried about this so i just did a bit of research to see if there any reports of it damaging your liver, so far i found the cream meant for vaginal infections it used to regularly apparently can cause cancer this has really scared me off nothing is worth that! this is what i looked at
http://www.virginiahopkinshealthwatch.com/2011/10/adsides-monistat-review/

Long_hair_bear
January 27th, 2012, 10:13 AM
I was worried about this so i just did a bit of research to see if there any reports of it damaging your liver, so far i found the cream meant for vaginal infections it used to regularly apparently can cause cancer this has really scared me off nothing is worth that! this is what i looked at

Anything can cause cancer nowadays. My mom got lung cancer and she's a non smoker. I think using it diluted also pry helps with the danger.

bunzfan
January 27th, 2012, 11:38 AM
Anything can cause cancer nowadays. My mom got lung cancer and she's a non smoker. I think using it diluted also pry helps with the danger.

I had the same thought maybe its safer applying just a couple times a week diluted.

Long_hair_bear
January 27th, 2012, 11:48 AM
I had the same thought maybe its safer applying just a couple times a week diluted.

Ya I use mine three times a week diluted. Cell phones, food preservatives, gas fumes, even household fumes can cause cancer.

luciferia
January 27th, 2012, 10:53 PM
I just put diluted MN on my head and almost immediately developed a very minor (so far) headache. As for why it happens, I do not know, but I have heard that it happens to a lot of people and it may or may not lessen over time. I honestly do not think I will be trying it again, which kinda makes me a bit sad as there is a spot near the front of my hairline/part that has become rather thin due to hormonal problems. It was my one hope, but the terrible headaches aren't worth it to me. ;_;

Sadness.

MamaCimino
January 27th, 2012, 11:05 PM
I just put diluted MN on my head and almost immediately developed a very minor (so far) headache. As for why it happens, I do not know, but I have heard that it happens to a lot of people and it may or may not lessen over time. I honestly do not think I will be trying it again, which kinda makes me a bit sad as there is a spot near the front of my hairline/part that has become rather thin due to hormonal problems. It was my one hope, but the terrible headaches aren't worth it to me. ;_;

Sadness.
If you are worried about thinning hair then you should read up on the castor oil threads. Monistat is used to make hair grow faster, but people have used castor oil and claim it grows more hairs. To make hair thicker or help thinner or balding areas grow more hairs.

angelshair
January 28th, 2012, 07:48 AM
You guys pushed me off the wagon again. Just bought a few Daktarin tubes. I hope it will end my winter stall. Think I'll apply every day or every other day. Better start measuring. *crosses fingers*.

Ligeia_13
January 28th, 2012, 11:36 AM

:shake: That is quite worrying. I did some poking about and found this http://www.3fatchicks.com/food-additives-to-avoid-bha/

If you scroll down to the bottom, it says the recommended daily allowance is 0.5 mg per each kilo you weigh. I weigh about 58 kilos so that's a total of 29 mgs . Considering a tube of Daktarin is 30gr (at least the one in my house is) that makes for...30.000 mgs of product. Say that makes for 5 applications - and that's a stretch. That's 6.000 mgs of product per application. I don't know how much BHA would be in that but it sounds way too much.

Of course, I'm no expert and most studies do speak of actually ingesting BHA so I could be way off.

Long_hair_bear
January 28th, 2012, 11:39 AM
:shake: That is quite worrying. I did some poking about and found this http://www.3fatchicks.com/food-additives-to-avoid-bha/

If you scroll down to the bottom, it says the recommended daily allowance is 0.5 mg per each kilo you weigh. I weigh about 58 kilos so that's a total of 29 mgs . Considering a tube of Daktarin is 30gr (at least the one in my house is) that makes for...30.000 mgs of product. Say that makes for 5 applications - and that's a stretch. That's 6.000 mgs of product per application. I don't know how much BHA would be in that but it sounds way too much.

Of course, I'm no expert and most studies do speak of actually ingesting BHA so I could be way off.

I've used it 5 times and have yet to make a real dent in the tube.

Long_hair_bear
January 28th, 2012, 11:44 AM

I've used it 5 times and have yet to make a real dent in the tube.

Gingerbear
January 28th, 2012, 12:28 PM
I have been using brand name Monistat 2-3 times a week (4% diluted in water) for several months and do not think I have had any appreciabe difference in my rate of growth. It sounds like the straight application might work better, but I get too much in my hair! lol

Longing4Long
February 14th, 2012, 02:26 PM
UPDATE #2: It has been a full month of using the Monistat twice a week diluted and I can say that it did not make my hair grow any faster.:(
My hair grew approx 1/2 inch in January. In the past I've gotten 3/4 inch growth in 1 month (summer months). Though I think it did make my roots stronger because I have not shed as much. Also it gave me lots of new baby hairs, I have a few small scars and I see baby hairs growing there now. I will continue to apply it to my scars only to see if it can completely cover them with new growth. Will update you on the scars in 1 month.

bunzfan
February 15th, 2012, 12:11 AM
I have a question do any of you that use mn do co washes? i was concerned it might not be getting cleansed properly by co washing and could be blocking my hair at the roots from growing? so i went back to shampoo and my hair has gone so much straighter i miss my bouncy waves .

hanne jensen
February 15th, 2012, 05:18 AM
Bunzfan, I have successfully gotten Mn out of my hair back in the day when I CO'd. I used a light conditioner instead of a heavier one for washing. Sometimes when I had 2 of 3 applications of Mn in my hair I would do a COW, which is just a few drops of poo mixed in with the conditioner. The Mn I used was paraffin based.

bunzfan
February 15th, 2012, 05:59 AM
Bunzfan, I have successfully gotten Mn out of my hair back in the day when I CO'd. I used a light conditioner instead of a heavier one for washing. Sometimes when I had 2 of 3 applications of Mn in my hair I would do a COW, which is just a few drops of poo mixed in with the conditioner. The Mn I used was paraffin based.

Ooh thanks for that maybe i can get some more of my waves back:D