PDA

View Full Version : Does adding moisture after oil work?

AprilElf
July 15th, 2008, 04:57 AM
This question might be something I just need to experiment with for myself, but I'd appreciate any comments or experience you have to share.

Background ...
Between weekly washes (with no set order or regularity) I: mist with water, or water/aloe, or water/conditioner; apply conditioner to wet ends; lightly oil with coconut oil.

My question ...
Is there any point in misting hair, or applying conditioner to wet ends, if you've previously lightly oiled your hair and not washed the oil out in between? Will the oil repel the moisturising properties of the misting or conditioner?

I use a conditioner with cones. Will that have any bearing on the effect of oil applied later?

Faepirate
July 15th, 2008, 05:40 AM
I don't know about the cones, but I would have thought that unless your hair is a complete oil slick the moisture can still penetrate the hair shaft. I don't know that for a fact. I'm just guessing. Because a light oiling with a good quality, natural oil isn't that different from having natural sebum coating your hair is it...? :confused:

Well, for my hair, moisturising seems to work best just after a light oiling (not the other way around, for some reason...)

I'm not too hot on how these things actually work. Shall now be quiet and wait for the experts. ;)

jel
July 15th, 2008, 06:59 AM
I *think* that it will still work, as coconut oil (like olive, and a third one I cannot remember at the moment) actually penetrates the hair shaft and doesn't just sit on top. So the next day you can mist and reapply coconut oil, the goodness will be absorbed, and so on until you wash and start the cycle again.

Different oils or even a very large quantity of coconut/olive oil will probably be a barrier to subsequent moisture.

The cones in your conditioner will build up with prolonged (weeks/months) use, unless you (occasionally) shampoo the length.

justgreen
July 15th, 2008, 07:13 AM
Mine works best if I apply a drop or two of oil on wet/damp hair, sealing the moisture in, much like silicone does. Only oils are easily removable, unlike the silicone.

mommy2one05
July 15th, 2008, 07:15 AM
I am gonna take the contrary view...sorry.
But for me even with a light oiling my hair does not soak all the coconut oil in so it leaves a coating of the oil....so I think I would have to wash my hair before any moisture would penetrate the hair....but that's just my opinion, I may be wrong.

Hypnotica
July 15th, 2008, 07:29 AM
I use oils over cones, and that seems to be fine for my hair.

tiny_teesha
July 15th, 2008, 08:05 AM
i find that even after useing cones, ( i use EVOO, AVO and COCONUT oils which are prooven to penetrate hair) when i wet them after oiling, they are still softer and more moisturised- that and i never shampo my ends (2x a year) and i went a few months only washing with herbs.
So i guess it works- my hair is porous from damage though, i'm sure it plays a part in that!

darl_in1
July 15th, 2008, 08:25 AM
I *think* that it will still work, as coconut oil (like olive, and a third one I cannot remember at the moment) actually penetrates the hair shaft and doesn't just sit on top. So the next day you can mist and reapply coconut oil, the goodness will be absorbed, and so on until you wash and start the cycle again.

Different oils or even a very large quantity of coconut/olive oil will probably be a barrier to subsequent moisture.

The cones in your conditioner will build up with prolonged (weeks/months) use, unless you (occasionally) shampoo the length.

The third one is Avocado oil, btw !

AprilElf
July 16th, 2008, 02:02 AM
Thank you for the replies. I didn't know about some oils penetrating the hair shaft. Very helpful! :)