PDA

View Full Version : Deep Conditioner for bone DRY climate?

sweet&sourkiwi
January 11th, 2012, 09:03 PM
So...every lush and luxurious conditioner seems to be loaded with humectants...and in our dry climate, that just transfers the moisture right out of my hair!

Any other dry-weather finies have ideas? SMTs were a sad story. And I don't think oils were enough to hold moisture in. I've tried Biolage Balm in the shower (for humidity) and then sealed it up with cones...but it's just not the huge moisture infusion that I want. How does one infuse moisture into the hair when there's none in the air??

(I am setting up a humidifier now, btw...)

aisha.christine
January 11th, 2012, 09:05 PM
Have you tried Fox's Shea Butter Conditioning Cream? I live in a really dry desert and this leaves my ends thoroughly quenched.

Diamond.Eyes
January 11th, 2012, 09:14 PM
Here is a deep conditioner recipe of mine that I have been using this winter, and my hair has never felt this moisturized, ever. Some of the ingredients may be unobtainable, so you can just leave those out (I wouldn't reccomend leaving the conditioner, shea butter, or olive oil out though). You can skip the humectants if you want, but I find that humectants help keep moisture in if you have a shower cap on while letting the conditioner soak. This recipe doesn't have to be exact, but I've found that mixing butters, oils, and nourishing conditioners to create a deep condish, has been very beneficial for my hair.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/blog.php?u=43321

I also live in a very dry place, and use a humidifier. It really does help.

sweet&sourkiwi
January 11th, 2012, 09:17 PM
These are pretty similar so there must be something to shea butter, oils, and condish! I will most definitely give these a try...thank you! Do you apply when hair is wet or dry?

And in true LHC fashion...I have all of those esoteric ingredients on hand save one! :)

kjirstiben
January 11th, 2012, 09:18 PM
I'm interested in hearing responses, as well... I've lived in several desert climates and the only solution that has worked for me is a combination of CO and WO washing (switching between them every other time), slathering oils on the ends when it's wet, and damp-bunning afterwards.

I will say that I have had considerably more success with the simpler, cheaper (cone-free) conditioners; all the "moisture treatment" conditioners seem to manage is leaving my hair sticky enough to attract all the desert DUST into my hair like a magnet!

Diamond.Eyes
January 11th, 2012, 09:20 PM
These are pretty similar so there must be something to shea butter, oils, and condish! I will most definitely give these a try...thank you! Do you apply when hair is wet or dry?

And in true LHC fashion...I have all of those esoteric ingredients on hand save one! :)
That's great to hear you have all the ingredients :). And shea butter is my favorite natural product ever, it's very moisturizing :D. I would advise applying it on dry hair until it feels completely saturated/wet :). I definitely recommend wearing a shower cap over it though to seal in the moisture inside :D. And any time :flower:.

Diamond.Eyes
January 11th, 2012, 09:25 PM
I'm interested in hearing responses, as well... I've lived in several desert climates and the only solution that has worked for me is a combination of CO and WO washing (switching between them every other time), slathering oils on the ends when it's wet, and damp-bunning afterwards.

I will say that I have had considerably more success with the simpler, cheaper (cone-free) conditioners; all the "moisture treatment" conditioners seem to manage is leaving my hair sticky enough to attract all the desert DUST into my hair like a magnet!
I've also found that CO helps to keep my hair from drying out. I live in Arizona and I totally know what you mean. It sucks. :rolleyes: Applying oils every morning and night and damp-bunning with shea butter really helps me out. I can't think of anything else one could do :hmm:. I really would like to know as well though...

candycandace
January 11th, 2012, 09:27 PM
When I was in Arizona for a week, I just kept my hair damp-bunned and soaked in coconut oil. There was no way I was letting it down in that climate. It really must be very inconvenient for hair growth living there...

aisha.christine
January 11th, 2012, 09:29 PM
When I was in Arizona for a week, I just kept my hair damp-bunned and soaked in coconut oil. There was no way I was letting it down in that climate. It really must be very inconvenient for hair growth living there...

It is very dry, but on the plus side, I almost never get frizz from the humidity :D

Renbirde
January 11th, 2012, 09:33 PM
OHMYGOSH. Thank you for posting this! I grew up in a rainforest and then ran off to a college in a desert, and I STILL hadn't figured out how to deal with it a year later. Thank you thank you thank you!

kjirstiben
January 11th, 2012, 09:47 PM
Applying oils every morning and night and damp-bunning with shea butter really helps me out. I can't think of anything else one could do :hmm:. I really would like to know as well though...

I'll have to try shea butter... I've been experimenting with various oils (currently my go-to mix is jojoba oil, argan oil, and grapeseed oil). I will probably try your moisture treatment once I have a chance to gather the rest of the ingredients for it from the health food store!

Actually, since I'd destroy my hair by wearing it down all the time in this climate, I've found that I get a LOT more growth during the times I've lived in the desert! You end up having it damp-bunned 98% of the time and before you know it, you've grown 6 inches that you only vaguely noticed because you had to change your updo to accommodate the extra length. The climate kind of forces you into the "benign neglect" that people here in the LHC advocate!

Cocoa_Crema
January 11th, 2012, 10:03 PM
I use more oils in winter because it gets dry here in Arizona. I also make sure that I don't strip my hair excessively with strong shampoos. Staying away from SLS( sodium laureth sulfates and friends) has really helped my hair retain moisture.

Diamond.Eyes
January 11th, 2012, 10:17 PM
I'll have to try shea butter... I've been experimenting with various oils (currently my go-to mix is jojoba oil, argan oil, and grapeseed oil). I will probably try your moisture treatment once I have a chance to gather the rest of the ingredients for it from the health food store!
I hope you do try shea butter and love it! I would love to know your results if you try out the recipe. Good luck with your oil experiments :flower:!

Lissandria
January 12th, 2012, 03:49 AM
Here is a deep conditioner recipe of mine that I have been using this winter, and my hair has never felt this moisturized, ever. Some of the ingredients may be unobtainable, so you can just leave those out (I wouldn't reccomend leaving the conditioner, shea butter, or olive oil out though). You can skip the humectants if you want, but I find that humectants help keep moisture in if you have a shower cap on while letting the conditioner soak. This recipe doesn't have to be exact, but I've found that mixing butters, oils, and nourishing conditioners to create a deep condish, has been very beneficial for my hair.

Another of your wonderful recipes to try, even though I happen to live in a warm, rather humid climate. ;) Thankyou for sharing! :flower:

Charybdis
January 12th, 2012, 03:58 AM
I actually like the effect of super-dry air on my hair -- makes it much sleeker and more manageable. Unfortunately, my skin and sinuses don't like it so well, though!

Diamond.Eyes
January 12th, 2012, 11:16 AM
Another of your wonderful recipes to try, even though I happen to live in a warm, rather humid climate. ;) Thankyou for sharing! :flower:
I hope it works out for you, and of course! :flower:

jacqueline101
January 12th, 2012, 11:32 AM
I'd try the shea butter and some cocoa nut oil. I like oils myself.

Long_hair_bear
January 12th, 2012, 11:40 AM
Toadstool on etsy has a great deep conditioner that's handmade. It comes in lots of different fragrances and has Shea butter as a first ingredient. This is more of a leave in, but mineral oil, as ktani says, does wonders for dry ends. :D

Safira
January 12th, 2012, 12:45 PM
Lustrasilk Shea Butter and Olive Oil Cholesterol, saves my hair at summers.

sweet&sourkiwi
January 12th, 2012, 04:23 PM
I just looked at our dew point. It's 5. FIVE!! I might smother my hair in conditionerish goodness tonight! :)

ktani
January 12th, 2012, 04:28 PM
I just looked at our dew point. It's 5. FIVE!! I might smother my hair in conditionerish goodness tonight! :)

That may make your hair drier as well as build-up. The idea of drops of mineral oil is that it helps hold moisture in, used on damp hair, especially in conditions of low humidity. http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=225

sweet&sourkiwi
January 12th, 2012, 08:19 PM
That may make your hair drier as well as build-up. The idea of drops of mineral oil is that it helps hold moisture in, used on damp hair, especially in conditions of low humidity. http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=225

Okay, thanks for the intervention! Turns out I couldn't find straight up mineral oil at Safeway, and the smell of baby oil grosses me out. So...holding out on any treatment fun tonight! Where do you get un-baby smelling mineral oil? Thank you!

sweet&sourkiwi
January 12th, 2012, 09:30 PM
well...just misted my hair damp (with distilled water) and globbed on about a half-tablespoon of my first batch of fox's conditioning cream made with a no/low-humectant conditioner...the plan is to leave it on overnight and see how it goes in the morning! I've also got a pot bubbling on the stove as a poor man's humidifier...again, distilled water.

This stuff smells good! I couldn't resist rubbing the rest on my face...hope that doesn't make me break out!

curlsgalore
January 12th, 2012, 10:08 PM
I live in a dry climate myself. I have been alternating between co washing and shampoo bars for a few years now and my hair is in the best shape it's ever been. I find I rarely ever do a deep treatment since I've been co washing. I use mostly natural products and that has made a huge difference. :)

ktani
January 13th, 2012, 06:02 AM
Okay, thanks for the intervention! Turns out I couldn't find straight up mineral oil at Safeway, and the smell of baby oil grosses me out. So...holding out on any treatment fun tonight! Where do you get un-baby smelling mineral oil? Thank you!

Most drugstores should have it. Ask at the pharmacy counter if you cannot find it. And you are very welcome.

shikara
January 13th, 2012, 02:04 PM
I agree with ktani about the mineral oil. It works very well for me. Also, at night my braid is damp, and the four inch tassle is damp too which gets out in a large roller. However, I just switched to doing CWC and it has made a world of difference, in many ways, including the dry air (I am in central Canada). If other things dont work, perhaps do try slathering conditioner - if it doesnt work, at least you know, if it does then that would be a great hair discovery for you. My shampoo/condish does not have cones.

http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb328/lmarie29/th_44053aa6.jpg (http://s1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb328/lmarie29/?action=view&current=44053aa6.jpg)

Long_hair_bear
January 13th, 2012, 02:30 PM
I agree with ktani about the mineral oil. It works very well for me. Also, at night my braid is damp, and the four inch tassle is damp too which gets out in a large roller. However, I just switched to doing CWC and it has made a world of difference, in many ways, including the dry air (I am in central Canada). If other things dont work, perhaps do try slathering conditioner - if it doesnt work, at least you know, if it does then that would be a great hair discovery for you. My shampoo/condish does not have cones.

http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb328/lmarie29/th_44053aa6.jpg (http://s1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb328/lmarie29/?action=view&current=44053aa6.jpg)

I just switched to cwc and mineral oil too. I like both. I used to use jojoba, and still like it, but I'm doing a 6 month test of all the oils, and now I'm on mineral. :D

sweet&sourkiwi
January 13th, 2012, 05:09 PM
I am on board with mineral oil! Just gotta find some that doesn't smell like i rubbed a baby all over my head. :)

I tried Fox's as a deep treat last night over damp hair and I am impressed! There aren't too many things that have made a big difference but this stuff has. I resisted testing it's prowess as a leave in, just cuz I don't want to try too much too soon but that's next. :)

kjirstiben
January 18th, 2012, 11:04 PM
I hope you do try shea butter and love it! I would love to know your results if you try out the recipe. Good luck with your oil experiments :flower:!

An update... I finally got all the ingredients gathered together and tried out your recipe (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/blog.php?b=96827#comments) with a couple minor alterations including a different (cheap and non-coney Suave) conditioner since most of the stores I frequent aren't selling the VO5 brand at the moment, and a few drops of essential oils for scent.

(I needed this because I've been experimenting with using Color Oops to see if it'll remove some of the henna that I'm growing out, and my hair had been so dried out that it was tangling impossibly. Oh, and it stinks like rotten eggs. Fun times! Funny side note: the essential oils -- I used a spice mix -- definitely scented my hair, but only in combination with the eggy smell, so now my hair leaves me with the distinct impression of some sort of exotic Asian food... :D I guess it's an improvement from sulfurous eggyness?!?)

But I deep-conditioned overnight using your recipe (a triple batch of it!) and carefully CO'd it out this morning, then damp-bunned it back.

Tonight... OH MY GOODNESS! My hair feels DRENCHED, which I haven't felt for... years! I'll admit I might have needed to shampoo in my wash, since there are parts of it that look like they're going to be stringy and not dry completely, but since I have to wear my hair up all week long anyway (have to for work), I'm just going to let it continue to enjoy being saturated for once!

And the most amazing thing is the ends of my hair, which now feel silken, moist, and are completely changed from the crunchy, hay-like state they were in before I deep-conditioned.

Thank you for the recipe, Diamond.Eyes!

sfgirl
January 19th, 2012, 12:57 AM
Why didn't I know about this all when I still lived in AZ? ugh. :(

sweet&sourkiwi
January 19th, 2012, 04:03 PM
I haven't tried DiamondEyes recipe yet, but thank you to all who suggest Fox's Leave In! It's been amazing so far, both as a deep overnight treatment and a leave in! Really, I only use like half a drop as leave in and it makes a pretty huge difference. Thank you thank you!

After a week or two, I'm going to try DiamondEyes' idea next!

blondyhead
January 19th, 2012, 04:38 PM
Hi,

I have thick hair, but myself and thin haired gals have found great joy in the Phillip Kingsley Elastizier. It works wonders on all hair types especially in hot climates try it, it really works!! Hope this helped!!

Lady Evelyn of Shrieking Metal, Enchantress of Faerie, In The Order Of The Long Haired Knights :blossom:

pepita
June 15th, 2018, 10:10 AM

hi,i dont have permissions for reading your recipe,i dont know why :(

Dark40
June 15th, 2018, 03:52 PM
I've also found that CO helps to keep my hair from drying out. I live in Arizona and I totally know what you mean. It sucks. :rolleyes: Applying oils every morning and night and damp-bunning with shea butter really helps me out. I can't think of anything else one could do :hmm:. I really would like to know as well though...

I also agree. I also love CO washing my hair as well! I also live in a dry climate where the humidity is always low all year round, and CO washing helps my hair to not get dried out. It is very moisturizing!

I also congratulate you on almost reaching towards knee length! :) I also love your red hair as well! :D

Dark40
June 15th, 2018, 03:55 PM
Have you tried Queen Helene Cholesterol Hair Conditioning Cream? That product really moisturizes my hair in a dry climate. I live in a city where the humidity is low all year round, and my hair always seems to appear like it's dry. Especially, on the ends. I usually CO wash, and that helps me out a lot. I also use oils as well, and it helps me out too.

nycelle
June 15th, 2018, 04:25 PM
I also agree. I also love CO washing my hair as well! I also live in a dry climate where the humidity is always low all year round, and CO washing helps my hair to not get dried out. It is very moisturizing!

I also congratulate you on almost reaching towards knee length! :) I also love your red hair as well! :D

LOL.. You must of moved out of Georgia...LOL..

Dark40
June 15th, 2018, 04:31 PM
LOL.. You must of moved out of Georgia...LOL..

LOL...No, I'm still in Georgia...LOL....I've always considered Georgia to be a drier climate than Louisiana. The humidity is 100% or close to it all year round, and in Georgia it is always between 35%-80%...

lapushka
June 15th, 2018, 04:50 PM
hi,i dont have permissions for reading your recipe,i dont know why :(

Try reading this, it's in the newbie section. ;)
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=68520

pepita
August 17th, 2018, 07:25 AM
Try reading this, it's in the newbie section. ;)
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=68520

ah,i see.thank you.

pepita
August 17th, 2018, 07:47 AM
An update... I finally got all the ingredients gathered together and tried out your recipe (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/blog.php?b=96827#comments) with a couple minor alterations including a different (cheap and non-coney Suave) conditioner since most of the stores I frequent aren't selling the VO5 brand at the moment, and a few drops of essential oils for scent.

(I needed this because I've been experimenting with using Color Oops to see if it'll remove some of the henna that I'm growing out, and my hair had been so dried out that it was tangling impossibly. Oh, and it stinks like rotten eggs. Fun times! Funny side note: the essential oils -- I used a spice mix -- definitely scented my hair, but only in combination with the eggy smell, so now my hair leaves me with the distinct impression of some sort of exotic Asian food... :D I guess it's an improvement from sulfurous eggyness?!?)

But I deep-conditioned overnight using your recipe (a triple batch of it!) and carefully CO'd it out this morning, then damp-bunned it back.

Tonight... OH MY GOODNESS! My hair feels DRENCHED, which I haven't felt for... years! I'll admit I might have needed to shampoo in my wash, since there are parts of it that look like they're going to be stringy and not dry completely, but since I have to wear my hair up all week long anyway (have to for work), I'm just going to let it continue to enjoy being saturated for once!

And the most amazing thing is the ends of my hair, which now feel silken, moist, and are completely changed from the crunchy, hay-like state they were in before I deep-conditioned.

Thank you for the recipe, Diamond.Eyes!

have you tried this recipe without aloe or any humectanct? is better or worse than original recipe?