PDA

View Full Version : How do I use jojoba oil in my hair?

SopphireGem
January 11th, 2012, 02:27 PM
I bought some jojoba oil but I don't know how to use it in my hair! I don't want to make my hair greasy, so how should I use it?

xoerincolleen
January 11th, 2012, 02:29 PM
I use it on the bottom half of my damp hair to lock in moisture.

LaDollyvita33
January 11th, 2012, 02:29 PM
I'm totally not sure if this is the way you're SUPPOSED to, but I'll saturate my hair with it, tie it a loose bun and sleep over night with it in. In the morning I'll rinse it out with cool water. Seems to help and leaves my hair feeling SO soft!

It's a little too heavy for my fine hair, so if I wear it during the day its only on my ends.

Long_hair_bear
January 11th, 2012, 02:32 PM
I bought some jojoba oil but I don't know how to use it in my hair! I don't want to make my hair greasy, so how should I use it?

Oh oh! Me me! :joy:

Lol

I've used jojoba now for 6 months. I put a pea sized amount on my hands, rub them together, then rub it on my damp ends, only from the ears down. I leave it in too.

SopphireGem
January 11th, 2012, 02:48 PM
Thanks for all your replies! :D Would it also work if I mixed it with my shampoo? I find shampoo is quite harsh on my hair on its own and I was wondering if mixing it with oil would keep my hair softer?

SpinDance
January 11th, 2012, 02:57 PM
The only way for each of us to know how our hair will react to some specific thing is to try it over time. Jojoba is not a hair penetrating oil, so can cause build up over time. It does penetrate the skin. I don't know if jojoba would make a good oil shampoo, most seem to use coconut or a similar oil for that. Coconut will penetrate the shaft of the hair particularly when in an oil shampoo. Finding the right recipe/ratio is key to success.

Just as a suggestion for the harshness of shampoo, is to simply dilute the shampoo with water. A very tiny bit of shampoo on the scalp only will clean that area. Protect the ends and lengths of the hair with conditioner before applying the shampoo, rinse it all off, then condition as needed. This CWC is quite popular with some (including myself at this point) and does quite a nice job protecting the hair from the shampoo but letting you cleanse your scalp without drying everything out too much. Some dilute in the hand, some in a bottle, with or without a nozzle type top to control getting it to the scalp.

Experimenting with oils can be great fun, although you're likely to end up with an oil slick at least a few times. If so, just do a CO wash, conditioner gets oil out much better than shampoo for me, and by reports for most others as well.

Anisaa
January 11th, 2012, 03:18 PM
I use it as a leave in treatment, usually the day after I wash my hair I put about a peas size amount on my ends.

Amber_Maiden
January 11th, 2012, 03:19 PM
Oh oh! Me me! :joy:

Lol

I've used jojoba now for 6 months. I put a pea sized amount on my hands, rub them together, then rub it on my damp ends, only from the ears down. I leave it in too.

Exactly what I was going to say!:D

Long_hair_bear
January 11th, 2012, 04:02 PM
Exactly what I was going to say!:D

:D. Also, some people, like ktani, swear by mineral oil, so you could try that too. :)