PDA

View Full Version : To cone or not to cone?

CSallaround
January 11th, 2012, 01:54 PM
I have been considering for a while now, to go cone- and sulfate-free. I am just confused by what I find here on LHC about the results of not using cones. It seems it doesn't work for everyone (but then again I guess nothing does), but I would like to hear some more opinions and experiences before I jump into it.

So do you use silicons or not and how does it work for you?

EDIT: I've been on and off cones since I started this thread. After the first 2 weeks my hair felt really dry and i started to miss my coney morrocan oil, so I began using it again once in a while. I don't use it much now though. I use mostly sweet almond oil (just a few drops) when my hair starts to look dry, and I do more oiltreatments and deep conditioning. I think that helped with the dryness, but I notice more splitends than before - might be because I notice them more now though, but it's not been too long since I last trimmed the ends. Maybe I'm still too rough when combing and brushing.
Other than that I use a cone and sulphate free shampoo when I only go few days without washing, and a coco sulphate shampoo (organic one) when I need to clarify. I don't know though, if the coco sulphate is enough to thoroughly clarify, and I'm considering buying a shampoo with ALS to use for clarifying instead.
I've also tried putting coconutoil in my shampoo twice now, but I need to experiment more. I seems my hair gets greasy faster, but I like how shiny and soft it is :P

novemberfoxtrot
January 11th, 2012, 02:04 PM
I am just switching to sulfate and cone free. So far I am noticing how dry my hair was before. This may also be due to the switch to CO washing. I never thought my hair was dry. In fact, I used to tell people how sensitive my hair was and that it got over conditioned easily. Used to use a clarifying shampoo EVERY wash. yikes.

Anyway, I'm still experimenting but I figured I'd never know until I tried. I think you should try it for a month and see what happens!

Kizuna
January 11th, 2012, 02:08 PM
I do not use silicones and it works just fine for me. :) I use conditioner only when I wash my hair and my scalp and my hair really likes it. When I used schampoo (cone and SLS) my hair was a mess because I didn't use conditioner for a long time (which left it all dry and static) and switching to conditioner only has really improved my hair (it's super smooth and shiny). I no longer even like the feeling schampoo leaves in your hair (dry and rough). The times I've used schapoo I had to thrown lots of conditioner afterwards. I really recommend CO if you want to try something new. :)

Zesty
January 11th, 2012, 02:11 PM
I use cone-free conditioner, but I believe my shampoo has dimethicone in it (it's a Head&Shoulders knockoff). I only use that on my scalp, though. But the biggest difference I noticed when switching from coney conditioners to non-cone is that my hair is wavier, doesn't feel dry or coated as easily, and my scalp doesn't get as oily as quickly. I also tangled more without cones, until I found Triple Nutrition, which makes it much better.

Occasionally I use a coney conditioner, but I find that using it more than a few times in a row leaves my hair feeling weird and dry on the ends. The first use makes it super slippery and soft, but it's not worth it to me to have to clarify more.

Long_hair_bear
January 11th, 2012, 02:12 PM
I stopped using cones and Sls and my hair is a lot less dry than it was. If you want natural poos and condishes, I highly recommend toadstool soaps on etsy. She hand makes all her hair stuff and has around 100 scents to choose from. :D

caiti42
January 11th, 2012, 02:15 PM
I find that cone free shampoo and conditioner and a coney leave in works best for me :)

aster66
January 11th, 2012, 02:23 PM
I'm now officialy cone and SLS free for a month and my dry hair has improved significantly! It's much softer and has waves and curls now :)

spidermom
January 11th, 2012, 02:23 PM
I find that cone free shampoo and conditioner and a coney leave in works best for me :)

Me too, and I only use the coney leave-in about once per week to every couple of weeks. It helps to detangle, and the effect lasts through the next shampoo or two.

MungoMania
January 11th, 2012, 02:29 PM
Unlike everyone who's replied so far, I need cones. My hair is much better with them. In my conditioner, at least.

SpinDance
January 11th, 2012, 02:49 PM
I'm still in the experimentation phase, so I'm not sure whether I'll go back to cones or not, but currently I've been cone-free for about a year and a half I guess. Haven't done experiments with shampoos much yet, other than to go cone-free.

I found that cone free and use of oils, particularly a tiny bit applied to hair right out of the towel gave much nicer results than using cones. I apply the oil after dripping into a smooth towel for long enough to write whatever I just did in my hair journal, so a couple minutes. Once in a while I'll do a heavier overnight or longer oiling on the ends and mid-lengths, the part that is in a bun.

Tried CO for most of this last year and ended up recently deciding to go back to CWC with very diluted shampoo, at least part of the time. I've diluted shampoo for years, long before I ever found LHC. I usually wash 2 times per week but will CO if I want to wet my hair more times than usual during the week. I'm currently using either Suave Naturals or Neutrogena Anti-residue shampoo. I've made both into oil shampoo and so far had better results with the latter.

At some point the experimentation I will include other sorts of shampoo, including an SLS/no-SLS type test, but I use such a tiny amount it will probably be years before I finish the current 2 bottles (one each)!

ElusiveMuse
January 11th, 2012, 02:51 PM
I used to *need* cones. My hair looked like frizzy straw without it. I'm not sure what changed in the past couple of years, or if it just depends on the cone-free product you use, but I found a cone free shampoo and conditioner that work really well for me. So now I mostly use cone free but cones work fine as well.

The best way to find out what works for you is to experiment, but don't try too may different things at once and give things a few chances before deciding.

HintOfMint
January 11th, 2012, 02:52 PM
Something strange I've noticed only recently with a brief foray back into cones. My hair detangles very swiftly in the shower with a coney conditioner, but when my hair is dry, it tangles much more than it does with a conefree conditioner. When I use a conefree conditioner, it is more of a chore to detangle carefully in the shower, but my hair dries without nearly as many tangles. Also, with a conefree routine with a bit of olive oil, I have much more shine than I had with a coney routine.

ladyshep
January 11th, 2012, 02:55 PM
If you do, just don't overdo it. For myself, I used to be a hairdresser and hairdressers love cones. So I overdid it all of these years and am reaping the consequenses. My hair has gone from medium texture to mostly fine; the cones thinned it out. Now I deal with static if I use any type of cone or oil. I don't use cones now; I do recommend them to people that seriously need them.

So, my advice is don't overdo it or use an oil.

caiti42
January 11th, 2012, 02:57 PM
Oh and I also use extra coney products if I'm straightening or curling my hair.

jeanniet
January 11th, 2012, 03:04 PM
My hair hates cones, but to be honest I wish I could use them at least sometimes. My hair tangles so easily, and it would be nice to use something that would help prevent that (in theory, anyway). About once a year I try cones again and my hair screams at me. If you can use them without trouble, keep using them if you want to.

luxepiggy
January 11th, 2012, 08:49 PM
Die-hard cone junkie here! Can't live without 'em. I'm particularly fond of amino-functionalized silicones like amodimethicone, which targets conditioning towards damaged areas of the hair and resists buildup. Cones keep my hair soft, shiny, and tangle-free (^(oo)^)v

PraiseCheeses
January 11th, 2012, 09:27 PM
I was cone free for more than a year, and I just started using them again a couple washes ago. With the air being very cold and dry, the oils just weren't keeping the moisture in. I'm very happy with the addition of a coney serum (Biosilk) as part of a winter routine. The washing and conditioning will stay cone-free - I don't want cones on my scalp.

So, in the warmer months, I wash with baking soda, condition with AO Honeysuckle Rose (also used as a deep treatment/SMT), rinse with white vinegar, and apply coconut oil to the ends. In the winter, I do exactly the same - except no added glycerin, honey, or aloe to the conditioner, and I put the Biosilk over the coconut oil on wet hair. The baking soda opens the cuticle, the conditioner has enough humectants to moisturize, the coconut oil nourishes and protects, and the cones keep everything in. My hair detangles much more easily and doesn't dry out as much between washes.

TheMechaGinger
January 11th, 2012, 09:40 PM
Well I went cone and sulfate free for over a year. I did co-washing with a cone free conditioner for a month and then switched to burt's bees and aubrey organics type shampoo's and conditioners because my hair is a little too oily for regular cowashing. It worked okay for a while but my hair was dry dry all the time. So I would dampen it and put coconut oil on it and then it would build up so I had to wash again in only a couple days and thus a vicious cycle is born.

I went back to cones and sulfates for a couple reasons, mainly because they are cheaper (I use suave professionals which are about two bucks a bottle) and because they keep my hair shiny and very moisturized. I do have to clarify about once every two weeks to keep build-up at bay (also use suave for this) but I follow up with a deep conditioner to combat the potential dryness from the harsh clarifying shampoo and also do a deep oiling before each regular shampoo. My hair feels so much better with the cones than it did without, that's just my personal experience

dulce
January 11th, 2012, 09:43 PM
I have used cony shampoo and conditioner for years,it works best for my hair,if I try conefree I always have to go back as my hair doesn't do as well.It helps keep my curly hair tangle free and shiny.Try it,you'll know soon enough by how your hair looks and feels if it works for you.I also never clarify.

CSallaround
January 12th, 2012, 06:52 AM
Thank you for the answers. It seems to me after some research that a lot of people on LHC use coney products to seal and protect the hair. Right now my hair feels very dry. Today it's been about 5 days since my last wash and currently I'm using a sls and cone shampoo, and a coney conditioner and deep treatment, even my favorite leave in I just discovered had cones in it. I will definitely try to skip sulfate and cones.
CAn anyone recommend some certain cone and sulfate free products or brands? I live in Denmark so preferably products that I am able to purchase is you know?

CSallaround
January 12th, 2012, 06:58 AM
*if you know

ANd by the way, how often do you wash with shampoo and how often with condish, for those who do both?

lajsa
January 12th, 2012, 10:29 AM
I use a cone-free conditioner for my CO washes, and I like it way better than the coney stuff my mother buys. :p I don't know if I'm just imagining it, but my hair feels a lot lighter and less stringy (provided I rinse properly, of course) when I don't use cones. Then again, I've got rather fine hair so it might be a bit sensitive for the extra "weight" or whatever. :)

holothuroidea
January 12th, 2012, 01:18 PM
*if you know

ANd by the way, how often do you wash with shampoo and how often with condish, for those who do both?

I CWC daily. My scalp needs shampoo every day or I get acne. :(

OP you could use oil instead of cones. They do pretty much the same thing without the synthetic chemicals or the build up. The downside to using oil is that it takes a lot of trial and error, and some time to develop good technique.

CSallaround
January 13th, 2012, 06:34 AM
I bought a noncone conditioner today and a noncone shampoo with less harsh sulfate in it. Am going no cone from my next hairwash :-) will have to order a sulfatefree shampoo online. I didn't find one in my local stores..

I have a question that's completely off topic, but nontheless how many centimeters are there on an inch?

hellokrilly
January 13th, 2012, 07:33 AM
I bought a noncone conditioner today and a noncone shampoo with less harsh sulfate in it. Am going no cone from my next hairwash :-) will have to order a sulfatefree shampoo online. I didn't find one in my local stores..

I have a question that's completely off topic, but nontheless how many centimeters are there on an inch?

It's about 2.50 centimetres for an inch!:)

Loviatar
January 13th, 2012, 07:41 AM
I am sulphate and silicone free most of the time. I wash every day with shampoo bars, and condition with conefree conditioner. I use the conditioner to avoid waxy hair before my acid rinse.

I use an ammonium laureth sulphate shampoo once a month for clarifying (Lush Cynthia Sylvia Stout).
I use a coney leave-in maybe once a fortnight because it smells nice.

Silicone wise, my hair doesn't mind amodimethicone, but gets very staticky and flat with dimethicone or cyclopentasiloxane.

Isadora
January 13th, 2012, 08:04 AM
Iīm cone free since august last year, i donīt regret. My hair feels softer than before. I like it ;)

UP Lisa
January 13th, 2012, 08:25 AM
I don't shampoo with cones, because I don't want to put them on my scalp. However, when it comes to conditioner, I use whatever helps with tangles. Some of my favorite conditioners have cones, and some do not. I just started using a serum for further help with tangles. It is filled with cones, of course.

habioku
January 13th, 2012, 10:48 AM
I stop using cones 3 years ago and I never regret it! I have super straight hair and cones made them heavy, flat and greasy. With cone free shampoo and conditioner my hair looks way better :)

Delila
January 13th, 2012, 08:29 PM
I'm not huge on reading labels and such things, but if I remember rightly, the products I'm using now are mostly cone free, but the line does have a serum that gives my hair some extra slip. Cones? I'd guess so, but for me, only in moderation, to minimize tangles.

My hair does not respond well to cones-in-everything type routines.

Long_hair_bear
January 13th, 2012, 08:34 PM
I don't use cones, but use whatever works for you! My hair can do without them, thankfully. :)

LoversLullaby
January 13th, 2012, 09:33 PM
I don't use cones or sulfates. Sulfates dry my hair out really badly, and cones without sulfates is just a bad idea. I suppose I could use water soluble ones, but I don't want to deal with all that mess, so I just use cone free and sulfate free products. Definitely if your hair likes cones and sulfates continue to use them. Nothing wrong with them at all, everyone's hair is different.

CSallaround
January 15th, 2012, 03:17 AM
I am going cone-free from today and will post updates on the change on my blog a few times a week, to keep track of what I do and how my hair reacts, and if I can help just a few who are also considering going cone-free it's just great. If anyone is interested in following my experiment here's the link: http://csallaround.blogspot.com/

jojo
January 15th, 2012, 04:55 AM
I was on non-cone products not for any reason they are just cheaper here in the UK and recently got a conditioner that had cones. I love what cones do to my hair and have never had a problem with them but this time round I have scalp issues; burning (like when you have bleached your hair) scabs and generally a very tender scalp. The only thing ive changed is the cones, so I am off them now which is a shame as I really do love how cones make my hair.

MissEarlGrey
January 15th, 2012, 06:05 AM
I use no-cone S&C, but a coney leave-in once a week.