PDA

View Full Version : Will bobby pins cause damage on wet hair ?

yvsa
January 11th, 2012, 02:38 AM
Hi all:toast:. I have a question that involves wet hair and bobby pins. My hair is now jaw length on the sides and a tiny bit longer at the back. Because my hair is wavy my sides look like wings, really bad:confused:. Last night I washed my hair and pinned the sides back with bobby pins and left it to air dry this way. And behold: the wings layed down nicely:cheese:. Now I want to try this every time I wash or wet my hair, to see if I can get passed this annoying hairstage this way. But my question is; will using bobby pins on wet hair be damaging. I think the sides of my hair are a little bit more fragile then the rest of my hair.

yvsa
January 11th, 2012, 03:34 AM
I forgot to mention that after my hair is airdried I take the bobby pins out and then the wings are better tamed:p.

morrigan*
January 11th, 2012, 04:25 AM
I would like to know that too, because i love to do topknot after i wash my hair.

Celtic Morla
January 11th, 2012, 06:39 AM
I think as long as you are careful when placing them and waqtch for rust you should be fine. My Nana was raised int he early 20 century at a time when the waved against the skull)I dont know the hairstyle just how to describe it) and she told us once that they used a type of clamp to achieve it and it made sleeping difficult at first! But it looked lovely! And her hair was gorgeous in those pics(alas I do not have a copy)

uptosomeone
January 11th, 2012, 03:21 PM
I think as long as you are careful when placing them and waqtch for rust you should be fine. My Nana was raised int he early 20 century at a time when the waved against the skull)I dont know the hairstyle just how to describe it) and she told us once that they used a type of clamp to achieve it and it made sleeping difficult at first! But it looked lovely! And her hair was gorgeous in those pics(alas I do not have a copy)

That would be fingerwaves, I believe :)

Ishje
January 11th, 2012, 03:24 PM
to be honest, bobby pins damage my hair no matter what, maybe it is just me, but I never manage to get them out without breaking hairs.

Torrin Paige
January 11th, 2012, 03:25 PM
To tame his insane curls, my hubby pulls his wet hair back in a pony to let it dry. He has no discernible damage from a hair tie (in fact his hair is way softer, more silky, and prettier than mine, ha!). I don't believe a bobby pin will do much in the way of damage. Be sure to watch out for rust though, like Morla said, and make sure they stay smooth. Sometimes my bobs get rough and I have to toss them.

Kiwiwi
January 11th, 2012, 03:43 PM
to be honest, bobby pins damage my hair no matter what, maybe it is just me, but I never manage to get them out without breaking hairs.

I feel the same way.

jacqueline101
January 11th, 2012, 04:28 PM
I use bobby pens. I don't think they're damaging if they've got the rubber tips.

yvsa
January 12th, 2012, 04:27 AM
Thanks for the replies:blossom:.
So the main thing is to be very carefull putting them in and taking them out. And look out for rust.
Maybe I can also use tiny claw clips.

luxepiggy
January 13th, 2012, 01:49 AM
I find bobby pins pretty damaging - all that rubbing against the hair as you slide them on and off! Why not use a couple of those duckbill-style clips they have at salons? You know the ones that open & close on a spring hinge at one end?

katsrevenge
January 13th, 2012, 01:57 AM
I used bobbies a lot years ago. I always had hairs that were all messed up looking from the things.

jojo
January 13th, 2012, 02:31 AM
The only bobby pins i use are the long goody ones but I only use them to clip my outgrown fringe out but to be honest I find them damaging regardless of hair being wet or dry. I prefer the bendy ones like these http://www.glitz4girlz.com/bendies/red-bendies.html and I find them none harmful to my hair.

Of the Fae
January 13th, 2012, 05:04 AM
Just be careful pulling them out, that the hair does not snag.

I'm mystified by the following question: Does making pin curls with wet hair and bobby pins cause the hair to dry out? It seems very much so :s

Syrena
January 13th, 2012, 07:39 AM
Bobby pins damage my hair, I just managed to tangle my hair around them in a bun somehow:confused: and when I tried to take them out, they just ripped out my hair...I stopped to use them long time ago...

Deborah
January 13th, 2012, 10:01 AM
I think that bobby pins cause damage on dry or wet hair. They are just damaging and useless. There are many better options. (Can you tell that I hate them? :p)