PDA

View Full Version : Finding Middle Ground

Amiblue
January 10th, 2012, 07:47 PM
When I use cone free and more natural products, my hair start to curl in lovely big curls again from the tips on up but is a dry, frizzy halo mess too. I used coconut, EVOO, and Jojoba oils which helped some. My hair would feel wonderful and look crazy and poofed out (without brushing at all! and no oils or light oil) or feel yucky and look yucky (oily from too much oil) but would curl still and not have frizz.

When I use cones, my hair is soft and shinny and sleek. The flip side it weights out my curls and makes my hair feel and look thinner. I actually thought I had grown out of curls until I switched to no cones and they came back.

So, I want soft, shinny, happy curly hair (like in the side pic though more would be nice :D) without the crazy poofy frizz that my hair becomes in less than 5 minutes of being down. And don't even talk about going out side with it loose! Jeesh! :D

Thanks and Happy New Years since I hadn't said it yet! :toast:

jojo
January 10th, 2012, 08:33 PM
Have you tried aloe vera gel? Ive used this to help calm fly aways and also its great for wavy/curly hair.

darklyndsea
January 10th, 2012, 08:55 PM
Have you tried CWCing with no cones? I find that it cuts down on frizz a lot, assuming I use a light conditioner for the first C and a heavy one for the second (for some reason, it doesn't work the same if I use either only light conditioner or only heavy conditioner; YMMV).

manderly
January 10th, 2012, 09:11 PM
It sounds like you need a gel for hold and no touching until completely dry. My hair really wants to be curly, but it can't hold onto the curl for very long unless I am gelled.

Scrunch in gel when your hair is still wet, and scrunch your hair again with a nap-free towel. DO NOT TOUCH UNTIL DRY. Scrunch again to remove the crunchies and free up your curls, I also like to stick my fingers in the root and wiggle with my head upside down to fluff the roots.

I lose my curl almost completely when I use cones :) HTH

Kristin
January 10th, 2012, 09:18 PM
It doesn't have to be all or nothing. You can just use a coney leave-in and cone-free shampoo and condish. That's what I do in the winter. You could also experiment with lighter silicones.

spidermom
January 10th, 2012, 09:27 PM
I use product, gel or some kind of styling cream. Some work better than others. Oils don't help at all; they give me oily frizz.

Amiblue
January 11th, 2012, 06:52 PM
I haven't tried aloe yet so maybe. I keep thinking I will turn into a sticky mess with it for some reason. :shrug: CW at all wasn't working with the cone/sulfate free conditioner I was using. It seems like the only time my hair likes CW or CWC is when there are cones in it which I thought was a bad thing due to build up. My scalp also went crazy the longer I went without cones and sulfates. Even using the shampoo and not just CWing, (TMI warning) I got super itchy and my scalp grew seriously nasty stuff that flaked in huge chunks. YUCK! Never have flakes normally and I would wash once a week. Had to do it more often with no cones/sulfates. I had to use head and shoulders mixed in with a pantene shampoo this last wash and will the next one to get control over whatever took off. Serious Yuck! Though, maybe it was the no sulfates and not the cone free part since my length likes the no cones except for the frizz. Hmmm...

So, I guess I should get control of my scalp, switch to a different cone free with sulfates to try that out, keep my oils, CW or CWC and try aloe?

Whoever thought figuring out your hair and scalps wants and desires would be such a pain in the rear when trying to be more natural and healthy!?!?!? :D

Maktub
January 11th, 2012, 06:55 PM
I haven't tried either, but lots of curlies have success with aloe. I had seen a special recipe of aloe vera and flax seed, applied on wet / damp hair .... somewhere... that was exactly to solve your problem if my memory is good : bring soft curls out, without any frizz, keep a good moisture... ...

I'll try to find it.

Have you tried plopping ? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iEUvUzO0q0

Maktub
January 11th, 2012, 07:00 PM
Found this :

*Flaxseed Gel
Ingredients:
1 cup water
2 tbsp flax seeds
(optional) coconut oil

Directions:
Bring water and flax seeds to a boil and cook for about 10 minutes. Strain and keep it in the fridge for up to a week. Some people add other things, EO, Aloe, etc. But I just use the above recipe. Add a pinch of citric acid as a preservative

This will de-frizz, provide hold, shine, and definition.

____

*Curl Defining Leave-In
Ingredients:
8oz Light conditioner
5oz Distilled water
3oz Aloe vera juice
1-2 oz Coconut oil

Directions:
Combine all ingredients in a bottle, shake, and apply to damp hair. This mix provides moisture, definition, and shine.

Source : http://www.curlynikki.com/2010/09/homemade-product-recipes.html

Zefyra
January 11th, 2012, 10:28 PM
Oh.. Hmm. Ive been having a very similar scalp problem as you for the last month or so. I switched to a sulfate free shampoo and have been mostly no cones. I hadnt at all considered this too be a possible cause... So for derail but if anyone knows anything about this, or has any ideas of how to help it besides switching again feel free to PM me etc.
More on topic, Ive noticed that I get very frizzy flyaway hair lately too. I had thought though that it was due to the winter weather (its not dry where I live at all though so its strange). I like the suggestion to use a coney leave in and a no cone regular conditioner. I do something similar on occasion. (Opposite order, however) And it helps with frizzies. I cant really comment on the curls besides to say that my usual 1b hair has been decidedly 1a lately.
Im sure that wasnt helpful to you at all, but that post has me thinking some things through here. :)

Zefyra
January 11th, 2012, 10:28 PM
Oh.. Hmm. Ive been having a very similar scalp problem as you for the last month or so. I switched to a sulfate free shampoo and have been mostly no cones. I hadnt at all considered this too be a possible cause... So for derail but if anyone knows anything about this, or has any ideas of how to help it besides switching again feel free to PM me etc.
More on topic, Ive noticed that I get very frizzy flyaway hair lately too. I had thought though that it was due to the winter weather (its not dry where I live at all though so its strange). I like the suggestion to use a coney leave in and a no cone regular conditioner. I do something similar on occasion. (Opposite order, however) And it helps with frizzies. I cant really comment on the curls besides to say that my usual 1b hair has been decidedly 1a lately.
Im sure that wasnt helpful to you at all, but that post has me thinking some things through here. :)