PDA

View Full Version : What WOULD make you dye your hair (if you don't already)?

Nedertane
January 10th, 2012, 07:39 PM
For as much as we may love (or at least try to love ;)) our natural colors, it's always fun to fantasize! So, what's something that might make you choose your fantasy color(s), if you could (no damage, no stains, no nothin')?

For me personally, I'd choose either one of two extremes. Either a lustrous, warm-ish black, since I have very fair skin and rather red lips to get a Snow White look. OR, a bright, platinum blonde to look like an ice queen with my whitest-of-white-people skin (hehe, or to look like Anne Hathaway as the White Queen).

How 'bout y'all? :grin:

Long_hair_bear
January 10th, 2012, 07:44 PM
For as much as we may love (or at least try to love ;)) our natural colors, it's always fun to fantasize! So, what's something that might make you choose your fantasy color(s), if you could (no damage, no stains, no nothin')?

For me personally, I'd choose either one of two extremes. Either a lustrous, warm-ish black, since I have very fair skin and rather red lips to get a Snow White look. OR, a bright, platinum blonde to look like an ice queen with my whitest-of-white-people skin (hehe, or to look like Anne Hathaway as the White Queen).

How 'bout y'all? :grin:

If bleach were not harmful, I'd go back to having dark purple hair. I miss it, but I kept having to damage new growth with bleach to keep it all purple. :rolleyes:

vanillabones
January 10th, 2012, 07:48 PM
I'm the same, conflicting between black black and white white

Freckled.Thing
January 10th, 2012, 07:49 PM
I would LOVE to get some crazy neon colors. If I could get away with bleaching it I would, but I have very delicate hair. It's super disappointing. Even so I was considering dying my partially grown-out bangs neon blue for a while, but I eventually decided it would be too much work. That's another thing--I would be much more likely to dye my hair if there wasn't so much upkeep, what with colors fading and roots coming in.

battles
January 10th, 2012, 07:50 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-LPySjL5vyto/TnYq0755_YI/AAAAAAAAAeY/Z3j9no-Kuxc/s640/bright-red-hair.jpg

Either that or this. http://itsbeeatriz.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/white-hair-13.jpg

Mommyof4
January 10th, 2012, 07:56 PM
If I found a color that I just had to have that I would keep longterm. I would wait until my hair was at my waist goal before though..

Nedertane
January 10th, 2012, 07:56 PM
I would LOVE to get some crazy neon colors. If I could get away with bleaching it I would, but I have very delicate hair. It's super disappointing. Even so I was considering dying my partially grown-out bangs neon blue for a while, but I eventually decided it would be too much work. That's another thing--I would be much more likely to dye my hair if there wasn't so much upkeep, what with colors fading and roots coming in.

Yeah, the upkeep in that can be a little ridiculous. Not to mention, it could get expensive! Well, on my budget anyway. Heh.

Long_hair_bear
January 10th, 2012, 08:01 PM
Yeah, the upkeep in that can be a little ridiculous. Not to mention, it could get expensive! Well, on my budget anyway. Heh.

Damn straight it is! When my hair was purple, I dyed it every few weeks to keep it vibrant! Takes money. :(

Nedertane
January 10th, 2012, 08:07 PM
Damn straight it is! When my hair was purple, I dyed it every few weeks to keep it vibrant! Takes money. :(

Kudos to you for sticking with it, though!

Quixii
January 10th, 2012, 08:12 PM
If there was no damage, I would go ala wisely-chosen (http://www.flickr.com/photos/wisely-chosen/5661838907/in/set-72157625502305556). The only thing stopping me is that I don't want to permanently change my hair, and even with my hair as light as it is I would still have to bleach it to get it that vibrant.
However, I'm still planning on doing it pretty rainbow as soon as I get all the dye I need. :D It just won't be quite as vibrant.

Nedertane
January 10th, 2012, 08:19 PM
If there was no damage, I would go ala wisely-chosen (http://www.flickr.com/photos/wisely-chosen/5661838907/in/set-72157625502305556). The only thing stopping me is that I don't want to permanently change my hair, and even with my hair as light as it is I would still have to bleach it to get it that vibrant.
However, I'm still planning on doing it pretty rainbow as soon as I get all the dye I need. :D It just won't be quite as vibrant.

I've considered doing a bleach-less dye with colors like that (a deep blue or purple, most likely). It's hard to find information/reviews from people who have done it that way, and it seems like they're rather unsuccessful. :neutral:

Eboshi
January 10th, 2012, 08:19 PM
There is a member here at TLHC who would color the bottom 2" of her hair red. I remember thinking how beautiful it looked when contrasted with the rest of her hair (blonde).

That is something that I would like to do. In my case though, I'd like to color the last few inches black. It would give the hairstylist something concrete to use when I go in for trims as well. :)

Long_hair_bear
January 10th, 2012, 08:24 PM
There is a member here at TLHC who would color the bottom 2" of her hair red. I remember thinking how beautiful it looked when contrasted with the rest of her hair (blonde).

That is something that I would like to do. In my case though, I'd like to color the last few inches black. It would give the hairstylist something concrete to use when I go in for trims as well. :)

I'd love to do that with purple, but as my ends are my problem area and I'd have to bleach them to make the purple show, it'd be counterproductive as far as growing my hair is concerned. :D

Nedertane
January 10th, 2012, 08:27 PM
Tips would be a little easier on the growing process, though, since they don't tackle that precious stuff at the root, and if need be, you can just cut them off.

sun-kissed
January 10th, 2012, 08:30 PM
If I was forced to dye my hair, I would either dye it a slightly lighter blonde (http://www.besthaircolor.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/best-hair-color25433.jpg), or a strawberry blonde/brown much like this (http://www.talentone.net/KATIE%20KARAMBELAS%202.jpg).

Oh my, that would be simply stunning on your curls, Quixii!

spike316
January 10th, 2012, 08:35 PM
I've considered doing a bleach-less dye with colors like that (a deep blue or purple, most likely). It's hard to find information/reviews from people who have done it that way, and it seems like they're rather unsuccessful. :neutral:

I don't use bleach on my hair (or at least I haven't for a bit over a year) and I use deposit only dyes successfully! Feel free to check out my albums for photoshoots and stuff. ^_^

On topic, if I wouldn't have to worry about upkeep/people not taking me seriously I would have rainbow hair.

Zhennni(:
January 10th, 2012, 08:36 PM
I would dye my hair an ashy brown :)

Cocoa_Crema
January 10th, 2012, 09:25 PM

Her hair is amazing and it surprisingly looks healthy....The colors really inspire me.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wisely-chosen/5365125474/

Zesty
January 10th, 2012, 09:34 PM
I would love to have a vibrant but natural shade of red. But really I'm not into hair dye, too much upkeep and damage for not enough gain, at least for me.

Quixii
January 10th, 2012, 09:39 PM
I have a couple pictures in my albums from past times I've dyed my hair. :)

adiapalic
January 10th, 2012, 09:45 PM
If I had blue or green eyes, I would try a vibrant henna red.

Lostsoule77
January 10th, 2012, 09:50 PM
If I could dye with no damage or anything I'd love a strawberry blonde or burgundy. I'd love to do black again. There are shades of purple, blue, & green that I'd love to try too.

I've only ever used semi-permanant dyes that wash out so damage & upkeep weren't a big deal. That is until I used black (instead of my usual red) in 2009. I still have some of that in my hair so don't plan on dying again anytime soon (except perhaps some fun color on my underlayer.)

Nedertane
January 10th, 2012, 09:53 PM
I've only ever used semi-permanant dyes that wash out so damage & upkeep weren't a big deal. That is until I used black (instead of my usual red) in 2009. I still have some of that in my hair so don't plan on dying again anytime soon (except perhaps some fun color on my underlayer.)

What brand(s) did you use?

racrane
January 10th, 2012, 09:58 PM
For me, it's because I'm asked do do so for a show. I'm a theater major so have done it before, but I like my natural blonde hair. :)

same_as
January 10th, 2012, 10:40 PM
I'd die the tips of my hair some sort of viberant colour, if it were long enough.

CurlyCap
January 10th, 2012, 11:18 PM
1. If I could die my hair without bleaching it and have the color show up.
2. If the dye was non-damaging to my hair.

Most things that fulfill 2 don't meet criterion 1.

Kira94
January 10th, 2012, 11:55 PM
If my skin tone was lighter, I'd love to go a bright fiery red. Or I wouldn't mind super dark almost black hair. Not sure what skin tone would work best for that. . . :)

My love for red hair I think was caused by A Fine Frenzy. You should google it, she has since dyed her hair blonde, but I still love the red best. :)

LissaJane
January 11th, 2012, 12:44 AM
I would probably go crazy with dyes if it weren't harmful. The first thing I'd do is go white-blonde. I'd probably play with bright colors (pink, purple, blue.. probably bright red at some point), but I think I'd love to be a long-term white blonde if I could.

morrigan*
January 11th, 2012, 01:05 AM
If i could get i will love to have orangish hair (i did have it, but damaged :( ), very natural shade.
Also if bleach wasn't harmful, and if it be revesable easy, then i'll emerald green. i already get that i look like forest fairy :D

NaiadOreiad
January 11th, 2012, 01:05 AM
I had atomic pink hair for an entire year and I would love to go back to it but the damage... UGH!

I think i will do my ends purple after i try some colorb4 to get rid of the henna. My ends will be pretty light then, and some purple veggie dye would make it feel nice.

Sushi144
January 11th, 2012, 03:55 PM
I'd love to get darker hair ! Like a deep chocolate shade or a really black - but shiny ^^ - one.

Long_hair_bear
January 11th, 2012, 03:57 PM
Kudos to you for sticking with it, though!

Ya it's tough cause I loved my hair purple, but the bleaching damage, maintence, and money were starting to get to me. :(

Shypii90
January 11th, 2012, 04:01 PM
Hmm, I'd dye my hair definitely if:
1. Bleach and dyes weren't harmful
2. Henna wasn't permanent
3. I could wash out all the dye in my hair to my natural colour regardless of what colour I dyed it for when I grow out of that phase :)

faellen
January 11th, 2012, 04:10 PM
Well, I DO dye my hair already, but I can only dye it "natural" colours now because of my job. I'd love to go back to dyeing it blue, purple and pink like I used to :(

ravenreed
January 11th, 2012, 04:13 PM
I already dye my hair burgundy with demi-permanent because it causes less damage. If I could bleach without destroying my hair, I would go a much brighter burgundy or wine color, probably with a bit of purple in it.

Avital88
January 11th, 2012, 04:15 PM
Blue black for sure!

Amber_Maiden
January 11th, 2012, 04:19 PM
If it wasn't damaging and it worked with my skin tone.

Lostsoule77
January 12th, 2012, 09:09 PM
What brand(s) did you use?

I used Clairol Natural Instincts. It's all natural colors. I found out the hard way though that you have to use a shade close to your natural one otherwise it won't come out. Plus I think they changed the formula since I last used it and the new formulation is getting a lot of bad reviews.

teela1978
January 12th, 2012, 09:35 PM
If I didn't have to maintain it... no stripe of natural color when it started to grow out I'd be all for it. And if it didn't smell all nasty and force me to keep my hair covered in goopy gunk for hours.

Schrei777
January 12th, 2012, 10:27 PM
I have icy blue eyes and really pale skin, so I would love to have white blonde hair as well for a wintery kind of look. I tried to get white blonde hair about 3 years ago but I had to bleach my hair a ton to get the bright red out and it literally turned to mush :(. I have died my hair tons of colors, but have yet to try blue, which I really want to, but I already decided last month that I am finally growing my natural hair out.

growingpains
January 12th, 2012, 11:53 PM
I like dark, somewhat warm colors, but from past experience the color never lasts and it tends to pull red over time, thus ensues a perpetual dye cycle.

ArienEllariel
January 13th, 2012, 01:09 AM
If dye was completely nondamaging (and bleach), I'd dye my hair a golden blonde. But sadly, I don't think it's possible for me to be a real blonde without bleaching.

Lilli
January 13th, 2012, 06:54 AM
The obvious answer is, if it didn't fade or damage my hair and could be changed right back, then any dye would be fun! I think of the scene in Total Recall where the secretary is painting her nails with an electronic tool, and all she has to do is touch it to her nails and they change color. I wish we could do that with hair!!!

QMacrocarpa
January 13th, 2012, 07:20 AM
For me it would take a personality transplant before I was interested in doing it.

hellokrilly
January 13th, 2012, 07:40 AM
I used to dye it black (i'm dark brown) years ago but don't want to do it again: way too much hassle when done at home and too pricey at the salon.It's too damaging for the hair even if I like the thick texture and shine it gives.So for me to dye it again it would take the insurance of my hair not being damaged or smelly and not turning my water black when I wash my hair haha!Even though sometimes when seeing girls with beautiful dyed hair I feel like falling for it again...but I'm strong!(and heading towards hendigo)

Vanille_
January 13th, 2012, 08:18 AM
I like unnatural red colors. I am using Manic Panic Vampire Red and I love it .. but if I lived in a world where bleach didn't damage, I would bleach my hair and then do the Vampire Red :)

jacqueline101
January 13th, 2012, 08:25 AM
I like the pink hair dyes I'm a pink girl. I'm lucky my hair is light I never bleached and I use temporary dye. What would make me do it again nothing my work place frowns on that. They frown on my bling string.

holothuroidea
January 13th, 2012, 08:31 AM
Rainbow colors on either black or white hair depending on the color. My current faves are black with turquoise highlights and platinum with a pink to orange ombre starting below the ears.

What would make me do it? It's just my favorite thing. I have no idea why. I would do it if there was no damage and if DH wasn't completely embarrassed by my antics.

Maverick494
January 13th, 2012, 09:36 AM
Very light ash blonde, basically like this: http://youtu.be/5-Ro7DNV9GU

But the upkeep would be horrible with my natural haircolour (=light brown). I would have to dye it every 3 weeks to keep the roots at bay.

Another colour I like would be natural looking auburn. And ofcourse pitch black. But again, I am just too lazy for the upkeep, even if dye didn't damage my hair

snowfaery
January 13th, 2012, 09:41 AM
My ultimate fun coloring would be a black with sections of white/grey accenting panels of peacock blue and emerald green. Natural looking coloring would be a dark vibrant red after pulling all of the old dyes out to a light brown red tone that I'm told would be my natural virgin color.

Mirsha
January 13th, 2012, 11:42 AM
I'd go for white if I never had to do roots.

Grrr, roots! Hair, why can't you grow from the tip? :rolleyes:

cooklaezo13
January 13th, 2012, 11:48 AM
After spending nearly two years growing out henna, nothing could make me dye my hair again!

dwell_in_safety
January 13th, 2012, 01:18 PM
A deep purple. I basically already tried to do that by using purple dye on brown hair, but because I had previously dyed my hair twice in the same color that was not purple, it ended up just mixing with the previous color. I'm growing it out now. :p

papera
January 13th, 2012, 04:16 PM
If I could dye it without damage it would be either a nice bright or red-blond, but also a nice chocolate brown ... and if i could change it after one or two days I would also consider a nice dark red or even pink, just for the fun of it! :p

cobden 28
January 23rd, 2012, 05:51 PM
I always wanted to be a redhead instead of plain boring mid-brown. I can never go completely ginger though as I have dark brown eyebrows/eyelashes so as a compromise I tried ginger streaks. Unfortunately I had short hair at the time and had a tight curly perm done at the same time as the ginger streaks (this was the 1980's when 'big hair' was the fashion!) which made me look like Worzel Gummidge on a bad day. Took a good couple of years to grow all the damage out properly.

Am currently considering a temporary colour mousse to hide the grey hair that's come with age. The grey doesn't show normally, but if I wear my hair with any sort of a parting the amount of grey adds YEARS to my age and looks awful.

pepperminttea
January 23rd, 2012, 06:20 PM
Rainbow! :D

Nedertane
January 23rd, 2012, 06:37 PM
I always wanted to be a redhead instead of plain boring mid-brown. I can never go completely ginger though as I have dark brown eyebrows/eyelashes so as a compromise I tried ginger streaks. Unfortunately I had short hair at the time and had a tight curly perm done at the same time as the ginger streaks (this was the 1980's when 'big hair' was the fashion!) which made me look like Worzel Gummidge on a bad day. Took a good couple of years to grow all the damage out properly.

Although I am QUITE sorry that happened... I do love you for making a Worzel Gummidge reference.

Deborah
January 23rd, 2012, 08:54 PM
Nothing would ever make me want to dye my hair.