PDA

View Full Version : Organix Coconut Milk Shampoo

Carissamarie08
January 10th, 2012, 04:29 PM
Anyone else who has tried it what did you think? My old roommate left a huge bottle of this in my apartment when she moved, so I decided to take over it for the last month. I love the smell but that is about it. To me this entire line just seems very drying to my hair. (I've also tried the Pomegranate kind) Is it because its sulfate free? I honestly do not even know what sulfates are. Or maybe it is because of this crazy Alaskan weather we have been getting lately. I dont know, but I dont think I will be using this anymore.

ellen732
January 10th, 2012, 04:37 PM
I bought it once and hated it. You're right about it being drying, it made my hair frizzy too. I gave it to my mom and I think she liked it, go figure.

Amber_Maiden
January 10th, 2012, 04:39 PM
I bought it once and hated it as well... It stripped my hair, or at least felt like it did.

Mina17
January 10th, 2012, 04:39 PM
I thought Organix was terrible too, very drying.

Kelikea
January 10th, 2012, 04:46 PM
I loved the smell but it made my scalp feel yucky, like all flaky and build-up-y.

GoldberryHair
January 10th, 2012, 04:52 PM
I haven't used the shampooo but the Organix Coconut products, split-end, serum, leave-in conditioner were really nice for me...

Florida Mom
January 10th, 2012, 04:53 PM
I actually started using it and love it. The conditioners are wonderful too. This is the first sulfate- free, etc, poo and conditioners that my hair likes. I just wish it wasn't so expensive!

GoldberryHair
January 10th, 2012, 04:54 PM
I actually started using it and love it. The conditioners are wonderful too. This is the first sulfate- free, etc, poo and conditioners that my hair likes. I just wish it wasn't so expensive!

Oh my goodness me too :( even at Walmart it's expensive lol

Mairéad
January 10th, 2012, 05:00 PM
I've used the pomegranate and green tea ones and my rather tolerant hair became a bail of hay.

Btw OP, sulfates are the surfactants that make shampoo bubble. They're detergent based and for many scalps are way, way, way overkill as something much milder (even as mild as the surfactants in conditioner) could clean the scalp efficiently. Shampoos with sulfates are very alkaline and disturb the pH balance of the scalp causing over production of sebum in many (thus requiring extra washing) and for some skin/scalp irritations.

I imagine Alaskan winters are dry? If so that could cause general dryness with your hair. Of course it can be exacerbated by products. I believe the coconut kind contains a fair amount of protein as well, which means you may be using too much protein in your hair.

Carissamarie08
January 10th, 2012, 05:03 PM
Yeah this shampoo made my hair into sand paper lol. That is probably why my roommate left it here instead of taking it when she moved hah.

sbhonda
January 10th, 2012, 05:14 PM
I read reviews of it that were very mixed, but I got it cheap and tried it figuring even if I didn't like it, it can't be that bad." Wrong! It was that bad. It made my hair feel horribly crunchy. I couldn't understand how this shampoo even got on the shelves, since $1 vo5 shampoo would work better.

Some peoples' reviews said they liked it, but I find it hard to believe it could work for anyone after what it made my hair feel like. I can only imagine no very little testing was done on this shampoo before they put it on the shelves.

LadyLongLocks
January 11th, 2012, 08:16 AM
I use Organix Coconut milk Shampoo and I like it.
Since it does not foam as much as brands containing sulfates, maybe users are using too much and experience dryness. It does create a nice lather for me with the second shampoo. ( I always shampoo twice)
We are so trained to make lots of foam or feel like we must have the lather but using too much shampoo can be drying.
One thing to try is mixing it with water in an empty shampoo bottle and shake.
Just make enough to last for a week or two.
This helped me use less, although I never had a noticeable problem with dryness using this shampoo.
I am just trying to use less shampoo in general.

I got this idea of mixing with water from Karen Marie of Stressless Tresses.

Jeno86
January 11th, 2012, 09:36 AM
I've been using this shampoo and conditioner for a few years now and my hair loves it. It makes my hair super soft and shiny. If I try to use something else, my hair freaks out.

HintOfMint
January 11th, 2012, 09:58 AM
From what I've seen on the ingredients lists of Organix Coconut anything, its' protein heavy and that can be drying for many people's hair, mine included

Jean Stuart
January 11th, 2012, 10:10 AM
I like it. It smells great. I also use the Organix cherry blossom ginseng witch smells fabulous too.

Blond On Blond
January 11th, 2012, 01:04 PM
I always loved the conditioner, the shampoo not so much, in fact after using it a few times to dismal effects, I stashed it under the sink and forgot about it (until my hubby found it and decided it's the best shampoo he ever encountered, lol). I use shikakai and amla almost exclusively now, but a few days ago I did use shampoo to wash my hair before applying henna. Organix Coconut Milk was the only shampoo hanging around in my bathroom, so I used it. Remembering that it can be drying, I diluted it - a lot. I must say I was very pleased with the results, although it wouldn't be my product of choice if I ever decided to go back to poo.

BTW my husband had shoulder length hair, with lots of grays, very strong and coarse. He adores the stuff. He does not dilute it.

sfgirl
January 11th, 2012, 01:17 PM
I tried the cherry ginseng conditioner and found it didn't help with tangles or conditioning. I did however go about 3 weeks of (secretly, I was going through a broke stage) using my room mate's shampoo and conditioner. She used the avocado one and my hair LOVED it. Of course that stuff is way expensive here in the city, so I don't usually actually buy it myself.

akilina
January 11th, 2012, 02:04 PM
Hate it!!!!! Ive used several different kinds of that brand and they all suck. they made me feel dry and whispy and frizzzy.

Asahinasan
January 11th, 2012, 02:22 PM
I've used a few of this brand's shampoo's and conditioners, and they have all made my hair feel dry, and makes it tangle like CRAZY!!!

LaDollyvita33
January 11th, 2012, 02:34 PM
Haven't tried the shampoo or conditioner, but I LOVE the leave in serum and the split end mender. Smells great too, and unlike other things I've used, the smell doesn't fade! It last all day for me!

Velvet Dreamer
January 11th, 2012, 03:47 PM
I've used the conditioner, and it worked for a while for me, then it started to make my hair feel kind of dry. I think I may have started doing something differently, though; it may have not been the conditioner.
I also have the split-end mender, but that's only because I like the way it smells, haha.

dementedkitten
January 11th, 2012, 04:14 PM
I used this for a few months last year and loved it.. Can't say it made my hair dry, though after a while it didn't seem to give me as much shine as my other shampoos, so I switched to a different shampoo but carried on using the conditioner which I really love, it smells great and when I used it for CO it left my hair really nice and soft.

MagicalMystery
January 12th, 2012, 01:44 AM
I too love the smell, but they also tend to dry out my hair. The serum however, work wonders on my locks. I love the argan one and the coconut milk serum. Not a huge fan of the shampoos and conditioners.

Carissamarie08
January 12th, 2012, 02:03 AM
I feel like this stuff ruined my hair. It's crunchy!

ArienEllariel
January 12th, 2012, 02:11 AM
it's... not that wonderful honestly. My aunt left me some, both the shampoo and conditioner (which has cones from what I remember) after she came down to visit. Smells alright but I could say that about Herbal Essance. Doesn't do didly squat for my hair though so I stick with burts bees for shampoo (when I use shampoo... lol) and Suave coconut conditioner. I never want to be without mah Suave again. Wonderful stuff. :D

Carissamarie08
January 12th, 2012, 02:12 AM
I just need to stick with my trusty garnier

luciferia
January 12th, 2012, 02:24 AM
I liked it for the first couple washes, but after that my hair became a disgusting, super-dry, mess. I wouldn't use it again, though it did smell delicious.

MagicalMystery
January 12th, 2012, 02:45 AM
I quite like my Tre Semme Naturals! I have to use tons of conditioner in my hair, so I'm glad I found a cheaper alternative to Giovanni. A bottle of Giovanni conditioner would never last me longer than a week, and $10 a bottle was costing my a fortune. Tre Semme Naturals are HUGE bottles!

growfro
January 30th, 2012, 07:47 AM
This is my second morning using it. Yesterday I used a small amount and lathered it in my hands really well, and just washed my roots. Then followed up with my usual Tresemme soft and silky conditioner. I air dry my hair everyday and usually I have to finger comb to keep it from poofing, but I rarely had to touch it. My opinion might change as I use it more, but for now my hair is loving it. :)

Mike5150
January 30th, 2012, 08:14 AM
I've used it before and it tends to make my hair look dry and frizzy.

I just need to stick with my trusty garnier

What kind do you use?

Foxy_Booker
January 30th, 2012, 12:16 PM
Wow I tried this a few months ago and its my favourite shampoo and condish set I've ever tried and I've tried a lot too. I did notice that the shampoo made it feel a little funny but the conditioner on afterwards made it tangle free instantly and I've always had a lot of tangles prior to using these products.

My hair loves proteins so maybe thats why it works so well for me. Its really made my hair the most managable its been in a long time.

Its a bit worrisome that its been working so horribly for everyone else...

Andraste
January 30th, 2012, 06:14 PM
I use Organix Coconut milk Shampoo and I like it.
Since it does not foam as much as brands containing sulfates, maybe users are using too much and experience dryness. We are so trained to make lots of foam or feel like we must have the lather but using too much shampoo can be drying.

I'm going to have to back LLL (or JJJ ;)) up on this one. And not just because she's my hair idol, but also because Organix is my brand of choice. :inlove:

I used this product even before being concious about my hair health and joining TLHC. I must admit, when I shampooed every time (every other day) and used more of it than I should, the shampoo definitely dried out my hair. Now that I do it less and use smaller amounts, it doesn't. The conditioner has always worked wonders for me though, especially the Brazillian Keratin Therapy.

Hollyfire3
January 30th, 2012, 06:20 PM
I feel like this stuff ruined my hair. It's crunchy!

To much protein maybe? This has happened to me on multiple occasions.

MagicAndMayhem
February 3rd, 2012, 07:20 AM
I just bought a bottle since apparently it's being discontinued at Giant Eagle and was on sale. I know you all say it's drying, but I have very oily roots, I think I'll give it a try.

mz_butterfly
February 3rd, 2012, 07:45 AM
I tried that brand and it didn't have very good cleansing power. I normally wash my hair 3 times a week and sometimes I have to wash it twice if it's really greasy or dirty. I had to wash my hair 3 times with the Organix. It wasn't cheap either, I won't buy it again because it wasn't a good deal.

MoreWhenNuh
February 3rd, 2012, 08:02 AM
I only wash my roots which can get very oily and this shampoo works just fine. I always CWC. I've never had any drying issues. I was having a lot of itching for some reason. Not sure exactly what was causing it. I may have been trying too many different things and my scalp didn't like the oils, conditioners, or less washings. But since using this shampoo almost exclusively, except when clarifying, no more itchies at all! I just realized this a few days ago. It dawned on me suddenly "I haven't been scratching my head at all for a long time, YAY!"

door72067
February 3rd, 2012, 08:17 AM
loved the scent, but my hair HATED it

ludwig20
February 3rd, 2012, 08:29 AM
loved the scent, but my hair HATED it

Same. It just dried out my hair. :(

Zapookie
February 13th, 2012, 05:34 AM
I used the shampoo + condish a couple of years ago. It made my hair ridiculously dry and I started to see clumps of hair fall into my hands. It was terrible. I had never lost so much hair in my life and it didn't click in my head until I was halfway through the bottles!

palaeoqueen
June 19th, 2012, 11:22 AM
I hope it's ok to bounce old threads (?) I just wanted to add my opinion on this. I love the smell of the Organix Coconut shampoo and conditioner but unfortunately after a few weeks I ended up with protein overload and only only noticed when a lot of my bleached ends pretty much exploded in a mass of splits and white dots, oops! :lol: To be fair though those parts are already massively damaged and over-porous so it's not entirely the shampoo's fault. I've since been using thir Argan Oil shampoo/condiitoner and it's brilliant for my hair. I might try using the coconut one just occasionally as I love the smell so much. So if your hair loves protein I would still recommend trying these. If not then steer clear!

letibear
June 19th, 2012, 11:26 AM
I have had luck with the Argan Oil and Macadamia shampoos/conditioners, but I haven't tried the coconut milk.

akilina
June 19th, 2012, 11:28 AM
I have tried, probably 6 different times, to like any Organix products and I REALLY wish that my hair would like it but it simply does not and obviously never will.
I have tried so many different ones and they smell great which is such a bummer. :(
My favorite was the one in the light blue bottle with the argan oil in it but it still just didn't work out.
I guess Organix now has a whole body care line too. I saw it at Bed Bath and Beyond.
I was at Walgreens a while ago and found the same Argan oil stuff in the blue bottle but it was lotion. I got it for myself and I love it on my skin and it has the same smell :]
So I guess for anyone who doesn't like the hair care line there is always the body care line that smells good :) They have a whole "coconut milk" line in the body products too if you like that one specifically.

Carissamarie08
June 19th, 2012, 07:37 PM
Oh I might have to get the stuff for the body!

akilina
June 19th, 2012, 11:04 PM
Oh I might have to get the stuff for the body!
It is super runny but I like how it made my skin feel and I liked the staying scent mostly. :]

palaeoqueen
June 20th, 2012, 06:08 AM
I can't find a UK supplier for the body stuff so I might use the shampoo as shower gel, my husband has been using it but he won't object. I just love the smell of this stuff :)