PDA

View Full Version : Hair purchase regrets?

mktmgt
January 10th, 2012, 02:45 PM
Hey ladies and gents, I was just thinking to myself that I have ordered a lot of hair products on a whim that I didn't really like all that much. Have you ladies ever bought anything for your hair and now regret it? If so, what was it and why do you regret it?

Diamond.Eyes
January 10th, 2012, 02:47 PM
I kind of regret purchasing Nightblooming Panacea. I didn’t actually purchase it myself, my fiancé bought it for me, but I feel like some of the blends I make myself are a lot more beneficial…and less expensive :D. The Panacea was great when I had short hair about two years ago because I hardly had to use any of it to make an impact, but now that my hair is longer and requires me to apply more product, I can’t keep having to buy a large tub for 50$. :shrug: Oh well, making my own stuff is a lot more fun anyway :p.

P.S. I do love a lot of Nightblooming’s other products :flower:

BrightEyes
January 10th, 2012, 02:55 PM
Oh yes!! I have so many products that I bought when I was heat styling daily that promised to protect hair from heat or give amazing volume. I was also able to buy products cheap with my stylist's license, so I wanted to try every new thing. Now I have a huge product grave yard in my bathroom. And I have curl enhancing cremes and gels that didn't do a thing for my wimpy waves. Thankfully my sister, who has curly hair, has been able to use some of them. And my neice has been able to use some of the other stuff.

My biggest regret was a very expensive flat iron I bought right before deciding to quit heat styling. I do iron my bangs, but I have a couple mini flat irons that would be sufficient. Every time I look at that iron I shake my head at myself. It's really nice and because it cost so much I'm not willing to give it away. I guess I'll save it for when I need to iron my shirt collars or the hem of my skirts.:rolleyes:

Amber_Maiden
January 10th, 2012, 02:56 PM
Argan oil. It didn't work with my hair. Also stocking up on conditioners that later I became allergic to (like Oneka and Live Clean).

Long_hair_bear
January 10th, 2012, 02:57 PM
I regret buying Sebastian's products. I liked them at the time, but once I found out that Sls and cones are no nos.....

mktmgt
January 10th, 2012, 03:08 PM
I'm really debating on getting some Nightblooming Panacea, it does have great reviews but I have also heard from some long haired folk on here that it really doesn't come with enough for their long hair and it gives the same effect as many other oils and butters :hmm:. Maybe since my hair is short now, I'll try it. Wish I could make my own stuff like you Diamond.Eyes. *swoon* :)

And Amber_Maiden, I agree with you on the Argan Oil. I bought some without reading the ingredients on the back, and come to find out it's full of nasties. I took it back. Don't want that expensive junk in my hair...

battles
January 10th, 2012, 03:10 PM
Jamila henna. I love henna and the benefits to my hair, for sure.. but I don't like the color that Jamila ends up with, and that it started fading so quickly both times.

I regret the coconut oil as a hair purchase, but at least I can use it for other things.

And all of the conditioners I bought with rosemary before I found out I can't use rosemary. :rolleyes:

raveness13
January 10th, 2012, 03:13 PM
Several products for heat styling and hold (hairspray). I bought them just before joining LHC, and found out that they were bad for my hair. Sigh. At least they weren't very expensive. :shrug:

white.chocolate
January 10th, 2012, 03:14 PM
Yes!! I regret everything but my amish pins I bought until now! In the past I used to care about having an assortment of hair accessories/toys, so they're more of repetitions of the same hair toy just in different colors and designs, whatever. Now, I save money, and I make my own hair toys when I can, and they're hair toys that I really need.

candycandace
January 10th, 2012, 03:16 PM
- Nightbloong Panacea: expensive, made my hair feel the same as when I put mango butter on it. The ingredients are great and I love that it's natural, but it generally felt the same as other butters and oils I used. I liked the smell though.

- Indigo: Didn't stay in my hair very long, expensive. I don't think it was right for me.

- Rajasthani Henna: WAY too much lawsome content for me. It made my hair very dark. I guess that's my own fault though for not researching about lawsome contents.

white.chocolate
January 10th, 2012, 03:16 PM
Sorry, I misread the title of this thread. I hope that was slightly on-topic. As for hair products, not really. Because I buy what I need.

spidermom
January 10th, 2012, 03:17 PM
I bought 2 metal and jeweled, elongated claw clips, thinking they'd be perfect and pretty to use to hold braids wrapped around my head (one on each side), but they're too heavy for that.

aisha.christine
January 10th, 2012, 03:18 PM
Aloe Vera Gel. I live in a dry climate, so humectants were a bad idea. Ugh, what was I thinking on that one? :rolleyes:
Coconut oil, only because I really don't use it for hair anymore and I have a huge jar of it. I use it in cooking and on my skin, but I wish I didn't have so much of it.
All my other purchases so far seem to be well-founded, though. I just have to put my thinking cap on when I shop for things. :p

arcane
January 10th, 2012, 03:23 PM
Aussie 3MM, it left my hair no more moisturized than my regular conditioner. Luckily it only cost me $4, but I'm cheap and probably could have used that towards something else.

Another one would be castor oil, not because it didn't work, but because I'm to lazy to actually use it regularily.

I'm sure I could think of a few others given time.

XcaliburGirl
January 10th, 2012, 03:23 PM
I'll second the curl-enhancing products as a wavy. Garnier Fructic curl mousse, Herbal Essences scrunching gel, and SunSilk curl cream, to name a few.

Also, when my hair was still very short, I bought some really cheap styling putty. It too dry and it showed up tan against my dark hair. Yuck!

I've tried some other things that didn't work for me but that I don't regret trying. Like Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat shampoo, for example. However, I'm glad I didn't buy it in bulk or something like that.

Diamond.Eyes
January 10th, 2012, 03:26 PM
I'm really debating on getting some Nightblooming Panacea, it does have great reviews but I have also heard from some long haired folk on here that it really doesn't come with enough for their long hair and it gives the same effect as many other oils and butters :hmm:. Maybe since my hair is short now, I'll try it. Wish I could make my own stuff like you Diamond.Eyes. *swoon* :)
I would agree with that statement. After using it for two years, my hair condition wasn't any different from when I had been using just coconut oil before. I don't want to offend anyone here, especially Nightshade, but it just wasn't for me. Like candycandace, I received similar if not identical results with other, cheaper things. I really hope I haven't discouraged you from buying it though, a lot of people seem to love it. :)

And thank you so much :p! I really enjoy researching and making my own hair products.

Long_hair_bear
January 10th, 2012, 03:28 PM
I would agree with that statement. After using it for two years, my hair condition wasn't any different from when I had been using just coconut oil before. I don't want to offend anyone here, especially Nightshade, but it just wasn't for me. Like candycandace, I received similar results with other, cheaper things. I really hope I haven't discouraged you from buying it though, a lot of people seem to love it. :)

And thank you so much :p! I really enjoy researching and making my own hair products.

Diamond's hair is so beyond lovely! I'm so envious!:toast:

Madora
January 10th, 2012, 03:32 PM
Boy, talk about buyer's remorse!

Years ago, I purchased a top of the line pure boar bristle brush made by Kent of London. $80.00. It was beautiful..but absolutely useless on my thick, long hair. The bristles were too thick and long and stiff.

I should have known better..but Kent of London was (and still is) a widely respected bbb manufacturer. I bought it - sight unseen - on the recommendation of a friend..which was utterly stupid on my part. You should always buy a bbb in person..so you can see..and feel the bristles with your fingers. Lesson learned.

longcurlygirl<3
January 10th, 2012, 03:32 PM
Pantene Mousse :( it kep my hair and curls down but it has ingredients like car defreezers? So I can't put that in my hair

Diamond.Eyes
January 10th, 2012, 03:35 PM
Diamond's hair is so beyond lovely! I'm so envious!:toast:
Aww, thank you so much! That's really sweet :flower: You have some very lovely hair yourself! :p

sbhonda
January 10th, 2012, 03:36 PM
Hair One: the Sally Beauty version of Wen. It was just no good for me, and it was before I knew about co-washing with plain 'ol conditioner

vo5 moisture milks strawberries and cream conditioner: it didn't agree with my hair, and I can only assume it was because of the protein

GHD flat iron: don't get me wrong, this flat iron is awesome. I got it for my birthday because I asked for it, but, even with my sister getting a deal through the salon she worked at, it was so expensive I feel kind of guilty about only using it once every month or two. I don't need that temptation to straighten.

Macadamia Natural Oil Deep Repair Masque: It was a good conditioner, but that's it. I get better results now with oil shampoo using a $1 shampoo and followed with $.69 conditioner than I did with the deep repair masque, which cost $30 for I believe 8 oz.

Any coney serum I've purchased: Mostly the brand name Moroccan Oil my sister got me that isn't actually argan oil -- argan oil is way down on the ingredient list. Coconut oil works much much better for me.

mktmgt
January 10th, 2012, 03:37 PM
I would agree with that statement. After using it for two years, my hair condition wasn't any different from when I had been using just coconut oil before. I don't want to offend anyone here, especially Nightshade, but it just wasn't for me. Like candycandace, I received similar if not identical results with other, cheaper things. I really hope I haven't discouraged you from buying it though, a lot of people seem to love it. :)

Maybe I will just reconsider the size I buy lol! And i totally understand what you mean, I just feel so enabled by everyone here that I just have to buy some for myself haha!

Littlewing13
January 10th, 2012, 03:40 PM
Brazilian Keratin straightening DIY kit. Ends are fried. I get that Keratin might be good for your hair, however the amount of times you need to straighten your hair, & the high temperatures you need to do it at just fry your hair.

Also Ive just gone vegan since after xmas & I now regret all of the synthetic, chemical laden products I have bought over the years & would love to replace them asap with organic vegan products but as a student I cant afford it so ill just have to use them up & replace one at a time.

Carolyn
January 10th, 2012, 03:52 PM
There are quite a few for me. But how are you going to know until you try? So I don't consider it a big deal. I regret the Morrocco Method products and Aubrey Organics. Both were awful for my hair. I bought some stupid Goody bun thing. It looks like a bracelet. Total POS. Chargrin Valley shampoo bars were another thing I got suckered in to. I spend quite a bit of money on MM, AO, and CV bars. I could have spent it on some nice forks or sticks.

Vanille_
January 10th, 2012, 04:12 PM
I spent $100 on the Ovation Cell Therapy set. What a waste of money. Although, after that failed it brought me here. And I'd say that's worth $100.

kidari
January 10th, 2012, 04:30 PM
an argan oil serum that doesn't really do anything amazing for my hair but mostly because I don't like the scent of it... at least I purchased a travel size but I agree with Carolyn that a lot of learning about your hair and what works is trial and error so I feel it was all worth it in the end

Mina17
January 10th, 2012, 04:34 PM
Tresemme Naturals conditioner: made my hair feel coated
Nature's Gate Hemp S&C: too heavy and greasy, made hair frizzier
Faccare from Scunci? I think: didn't hold up hair
Pure argan oil: didn't do a thing for my hair
Good Hair Days Magic hairpins: didn't stay in

blondie9912
January 10th, 2012, 04:38 PM
I usually end up regretting all products that I buy at drugstores. They're so enticing with their discounts and big promises that I often cannot resist!

Shebelina
January 10th, 2012, 05:26 PM
Most of the serums I've bought, I've regretted. All except my Herbal Essenses Beautiful Ends serum, I know it's coney but my hair loves it!

My most recent regret is the coconut oil I bought at christmas, it does nothingfor my hair. I can't decide if it's the oil itself, or the perfume listed as an ingredient that's the problem. I don't want to buy any more unrefined, pure oil in case it's the former :(

long&blonde
January 10th, 2012, 06:18 PM
A pair of Long Locks hair sticks. I can't recall now if they were 74 or higher eve. Think they were called Black Lotus. The fancy top decoration is so easy to bend(probably snap off,thankfully not that yet) but I'll be wearing one,glance in mirror, top on crooked. They don't look have as good as the plain wood chopsticks I got at a craft store 12 for 4 dollars. If the sticks were all hand carved solid wood, I'd be more charmed. After getting & checking out the beaded decoration attached;don't feel they are awesome enough for the price.

jacqueline101
January 10th, 2012, 06:37 PM
My heated appliances and hair spray. I don't use them so it was a waste of money.

swearnsue
January 10th, 2012, 06:40 PM
I regret buying camillia oil. I used it on my face as a moisturizer but made me break out. I haven't tried it on my hair yet.

Juneii
January 10th, 2012, 06:41 PM
henna, soap nuts, some hair toys..

einna
January 10th, 2012, 06:57 PM
The Rainforest Moisture Conditioner from Body Shop. Coated my hair terribly. I actually threw it away in the end, I almost never do that.

vanity_acefake
January 10th, 2012, 07:02 PM
As a bit of a hoarder I have to say no!
I will eventually use/ use up everything I have and my daughter can inherit the rest.
:)

holothuroidea
January 10th, 2012, 07:09 PM
There are very few purchases I do not regret. :rolleyes:

But I agree, you have to try before you know.

Dorothy
January 10th, 2012, 07:44 PM
swearnsue, try putting 3 drops of the camillia oil into your hand, rubbing it all over your hands, and putting it on your wet ends - or dry ends - instead of coconut oil sometime. For me, it makes a better, swingy-er, hair down experience. But I use Coconut for buns and overnight braids. In a hair down situation, it reduces the silkiness of my very straight hair.

Oh, and I regret a very large Cygnus from Baerris, I should probably sell/trade it on the swap board. It's larger scale than the one I broke, and just plain too big for my hair. I keep it because I dream someday my hair will be big enough - but even if it got to my ankles - it's waist now - I don't think I could justify this comb. There are many here who could, though. I regret that Goody hair torture "fork" as well. That's about it - henna, coconut oil, camillia oil, seamless comb, Cocoa butter, ACV, sticks, combs, Kanzashi, OCM castor oil, Cassia, SMT, Aloe Vera hair gel for flyaways, sock sacreficed for sock bun - all good. (running hands smugly through mediocre but mine hair...)

pepperminttea
January 10th, 2012, 07:58 PM
Years ago, I purchased a top of the line pure boar bristle brush made by Kent of London. $80.00. It was beautiful..but absolutely useless on my thick, long hair. The bristles were too thick and long and stiff.

I should have known better..but Kent of London was (and still is) a widely respected bbb manufacturer. I bought it - sight unseen - on the recommendation of a friend..which was utterly stupid on my part. You should always buy a bbb in person..so you can see..and feel the bristles with your fingers. Lesson learned.

This makes me wonder if that was the problem with my BBB shredding my hair. It wasn't as expensive, but it was a Kent, and the bristles were very thick and stiff. :hmm:

PixxieStix
January 10th, 2012, 08:18 PM
Cheap curling irons from drug stores, mostly because they did not work well. I can't say I regret buying a lot of Suave conditioner for my hair when I was trying the CO method, because my fiance is now using it and will eventually use it all up. So far my hair has liked all the oils I have put in it, plus I am putting them in my home made whipped shea butter for my skin and it has never been happier. :)

HintOfMint
January 11th, 2012, 12:06 AM
Some Phyto 9 leave-in conditioner. It was overpriced and did virtually nothing for my hair. I feel terrible blowing money like that. It didn't even have a scent that I could justify my purchase with. It wasn't even indulgent, it was just useless. Ugh.

the.fee.fairy
January 11th, 2012, 12:42 AM
A few years ago i was at a boot sale (i don't know what they call it in the US - it's when you fill your car with unwanted stuff and go somewhere with other people with cars full of unwanted stuff and sell it).

A woman had two giant bottles of Herbal Essences conditioner for £1 each. I bought them both.

I used it twice. It was so thick that it didn't rinse out properly and left my hair feeling stringy and sticky. The first time i thought i hadn't rinsed it out enough, so i tried it again and the same thing happened, even though i spent ages rinsing.

I tried using it in the washing machine instead of fabric conditioner (don't like to waste stuff), and it didn't even break down in the water there, it just left a pile of conditioner in the drawer.

I had to throw it out in the end. I couldn't even use it for shaving, it was too thick and horrible.

jeanniet
January 11th, 2012, 12:52 AM

And Amber_Maiden, I agree with you on the Argan Oil. I bought some without reading the ingredients on the back, and come to find out it's full of nasties. I took it back. Don't want that expensive junk in my hair...
I just wanted to clarify (lol) that if you bought "argan" oil with any ingredients other than argan oil, it wasn't really argan oil at all. Argan oil should be 100% pure, and is great stuff, although like any oil may not work for everyone.

I always end up giving away cheap conditioners, especially if they have cones. They just don't seem to agree with our water and end up building up really fast.

ktani
January 11th, 2012, 06:17 AM
Before I was able to perfect my catnip routine, I had a cupboard full of conditioner rejects. I tried colour enhancing conditioners and shampoos, deep conditioners, light conditioners, you name it. All brands, all prices.

I gave some away and threw out others that were long past the expiry dates.

I was a complete hair product junkie, lol.

I now prefer simple but effective products. And oddly enough, my shampoo, Sunsilk Lively Blonde and Hagen Catit catnip and mineral oil/white baby oil just happen to be very cost effective and inexpensive.

wicked kisses
January 11th, 2012, 06:25 AM
I think that the lesson here is simply one of learning. We have to try new things to find out what works. Everyone is different.
My SO's cousin *swears* by Herbal Essence 'Twisted' for her very curly red hair... It fries mine. I used to use mega amounts of Aussie Moist S&C but now I never use it. Just the Garnier... Still not sure it's the right thing tho.
Might not get around to using it up.

auburntressed
January 11th, 2012, 06:30 AM
Henna Gold - worse shampoo and condish I ever bought. It made my hair feel like it was coated with plastic and very VERY fragile. I used it once, never again. Still have the unused bottles in my closet.

QMacrocarpa
January 11th, 2012, 07:48 AM
For some reason, it seems like I've gotten a number of different shampoos over the years that I didn't like and had to use up as body washes. Most recently the Whole Foods 365 lavender. Smelled nice though!

3" wire hairpins. I got these because I thought they might work well with sock buns, but they just didn't stay put for me, so wearing them meant constantly shoving them back in place. I'll stick with Good Hair Days pins and spin pins.

Goody comb clamp ("Kimberly claw clip"). Not as useful as I'd hoped, and then it broke.

Baby
January 11th, 2012, 07:56 AM
I have some amla in the freezer that i do not know what to do with, and i have several brushes I never use, I just use a comb and my tangle teezer.

lolabird
January 11th, 2012, 08:11 AM
I bought a scunci bobby-stick (it's like a skinny U-shaped hair stick). It's very slippery and absolutely useless for holding my hair. I should have known better, it was cheap and plastic.

Theobroma
January 11th, 2012, 08:14 AM
The ten-plus bottles of Triple Nutrition I squirrelled away by getting a few every time the stuff was on sale (and sometimes when it wasn't), only to find that they've changed the formula and the scent is now so unpleasant and overpowering that I can't use it any more!

Isadora
January 11th, 2012, 08:50 AM
Usually I used shampoo and conditioner which contained silicone :(
After reading here I threw all that products away and I regret believing in commercial.

cooklaezo13
January 11th, 2012, 10:25 AM
I regret buying a bbb from Sally's that had mostly plastic bristles, before I knew better.
I regret buying a satin night cap from Sally's because it has rough elastic on the edges. I never wear it because it is too uncomfortable and it is damaging to my hair line.
I regret buying a cheap horn comb from ebay that broke before I even got it out of the package. My nice spellstone comb has been dropped a few times and still in perfect condition.

Kaelee
January 11th, 2012, 10:34 AM
I kind of regret purchasing Nightblooming Panacea. I didn’t actually purchase it myself, my fiancé bought it for me, but I feel like some of the blends I make myself are a lot more beneficial…and less expensive :D. The Panacea was great when I had short hair about two years ago because I hardly had to use any of it to make an impact, but now that my hair is longer and requires me to apply more product, I can’t keep having to buy a large tub for 50$. :shrug: Oh well, making my own stuff is a lot more fun anyway :p.

P.S. I do love a lot of Nightblooming’s other products :flower:

Hey Diamondeyes, what kind of blends do you make yourself? I'm a coconut oil fan, but i love playing in the kitchen and would love to mix it up a little. :flower:

Neneka
January 11th, 2012, 11:35 AM
I have lot of oils that I don't need. I also have bought a lot of things that I planned to turn into hair sticks and it didn't work and then I chopped my hair.

dementedkitten
January 11th, 2012, 12:23 PM
TIGI Born to Rock Leave-in Detangler is my most recent regret (I sold it on, via Ebay) it smelled great like most TIGI products but it did the opposite to what it is supposed to do - my hair had NEVER been so tangled, ever!! It was totally rubbish!

Also this "Ancient Formulae Castor Herbal Indian Hair Oil" .. because I really don't like the smell - and neither does my OH so sleeping with it in my hair wasn't nice for either of us.. :/

littleizz
January 11th, 2012, 12:55 PM
A lot, unfortunately. I had a Sally beauty card for a few years and pretty much "sampled" everything that was running a sale. I've thrown away so many products bef

littleizz
January 11th, 2012, 12:56 PM
Eep!

*before coming to the realization that caring for my hair did not have to be that complicated!!! I've gone very minimalist with my hair routine and love love love it. And I think my hair does too :)

Gingerbear
January 11th, 2012, 04:40 PM
This happens to me all the time! And, although I love my sisters on the LHC, I have splurged more than I normally do on hair products and toys since I joined. Mostly I have spent a bunch of money on different oils for my hair. I get so excited and inspired when I read about someone else's great results. The one good thing with oils is that at least if it doesn't work on my hair, I can always find some other use for it (i.e. cooking, moisturizing my legs, etc). I also bought a small fortune in Monistat. heehee. I haven't noticed any difference in my growth rate, but I do like what it does to my hair for styling flyaways. :)

Diamond.Eyes
January 11th, 2012, 04:51 PM
Hey Diamondeyes, what kind of blends do you make yourself? I'm a coconut oil fan, but i love playing in the kitchen and would love to mix it up a little. :flower:
I make my own deep conditioners and leave in conditioners :). I make small batches at a time though because they don't have preservatives in them so I can't really afford to have any left over. My leave-in contains shea butter, coconut oil infused with rooibos, jojoba oil, aloe vera juice, evening primrose oil, vitamin B5, and some BPAL snake oil. :)

Clytemnestra
January 11th, 2012, 05:04 PM
Mahabhringraj oil, eh, it smelled so bad I threw it away without using any of it. I bought some castor oil, but it was really thick and sticky so I just used it in my SMT's, but won't buy any more because I like to get double use out of my oils, for instance I use my emu/coconut/almond on my skin too, so now I just stick with them. A couple of velvet scrunchies for sleep which were soft and pretty but so heavy they made my hair pull on my scalp, threw them away too.

same_as
January 11th, 2012, 05:05 PM
Herbal Essences 'None of Your Frizznes' conditioner. It's okay but not nearly as good as the last conditioner I bought. I actually caved the other day and got my Tresseme Naturals 'With aloe vera and avocado' again. It's silicone free and the best conditioner I've ever used in my hair. I don't know what to do with the other one though :confused:

mktmgt
January 11th, 2012, 05:08 PM
I make my own deep conditioners and leave in conditioners :). I make small batches at a time though because they don't have preservatives in them so I can't really afford to have any left over. My leave-in contains shea butter, coconut oil infused with rooibos, jojoba oil, aloe vera juice, evening primrose oil, vitamin B5, and some BPAL snake oil. :)
I wish you could come make my hair stuff for me baha! How did you learn to make that stuff? Mmm, I've heard so many good things about the bpal snake oil since you reccomended it. Everyone says it has a "sexy" smell to it. So want to try it haha!

Diamond.Eyes
January 11th, 2012, 05:15 PM
I wish you could come make my hair stuff for me baha! How did you learn to make that stuff? Mmm, I've heard so many good things about the bpal snake oil since you reccomended it. Everyone says it has a "sexy" smell to it. So want to try it haha!
Hahaha! Thanks, I learned a lot of things about herbal and natural hair-care from my grandmother, and I had to do my own fair share of research as well. And 'snake oil' is definitely sexy; that and 'O'. My DF loves those scents on me. I'm beginning to think they contain pheromones :laugh:. Let me know if you give bpal a try :).

Mopolop
January 11th, 2012, 05:20 PM
I regret buying bulk buying pantene conditioner before finding out about cones. Whoops.

princessp
January 11th, 2012, 05:38 PM
There are quite a few for me. But how are you going to know until you try?

I agree! What works for one person may not work for another. I definitely have regrets, but I'm glad I tried the products/hair toys whatever because now I am more informed about what my hair (and I) like.

hanne jensen
January 12th, 2012, 02:01 AM
I have 4 very expensive bottles of poo that I use to clean the toilet. I'm so disappointed in them that I don't even look at the bottles, just grab them for toilet washing. Irony of ironies, I found a cheap poo in a discount store that my hair loves. I mean cheap-about 2 dollars for a whole liter of the stuff!

Lissandria
January 12th, 2012, 03:43 AM
Hmm I have a huge bottle of Sweet Almond Oil. My hair doesn't like it as a leave in- way too heavy. I guess I can use it as a pre-wash deep treatment but it wasn't cheap. I'd probably say this is my biggest hair-purchase regret. Also I was thinking of buying some LongLocks hairsticks awhile back, but I'm glad I didn't cos I would definitely regretted spending that much on Hairsticks, no matter how pretty they are.

Lilhypsy
January 12th, 2012, 10:59 AM
So I hopped on the LUSH bandwagon and just got the bar shampoo Godiva 2 days ago, and looking through the ingredients in the paper they sent I realized it has sulfate in it :(
and of course I threw out the form for return...ughhhhhhhh.

Zesty
January 12th, 2012, 11:27 AM
I kind of wish I hadn't bought my Ficcare. :shrug: It's not half as effective, comfortable, or pretty as my sticks and forks, and I have to worry about getting hair caught in the hinges. I wear it very rarely. I don't use my flexi-8s very often either, but I think that especially the XS and S are good for special occasions. But the XL I got for updos tends to snag my hair some. Most of all I wish I hadn't bought the M, because it's meant for ponytails and my hair is slippery so it just sort of sliiiiides down. :p Hair toy remorse can be pretty bad because I always think: I could have used that money for another GTS fork! They're my favorites.

As far as hair products go, I have various products that I don't use very often. Aubrey Organics JAY shampoo, V05 Kiwi Lime conditioner (I bought it to see if it would be better for CO than Suave, but OH HOW I HATE IT; it never seems to wash out!!! so I don't know what to do with it now), a coney Suave professionals conditioner that I won't use... But I don't feel too bad about those because it's just part of the learning process, and I can always give them to people, or if not most of them can be gradually used up in some fashion.

auburntressed
January 12th, 2012, 11:39 AM
Hmm I have a huge bottle of Sweet Almond Oil. My hair doesn't like it as a leave in- way too heavy. I guess I can use it as a pre-wash deep treatment but it wasn't cheap. I'd probably say this is my biggest hair-purchase regret. Also I was thinking of buying some LongLocks hairsticks awhile back, but I'm glad I didn't cos I would definitely regretted spending that much on Hairsticks, no matter how pretty they are.
I use SAO to moisturize my skin after my showers. If it doesn't work in your hair, you might try using it for that - just so that it doesn't go to waste for you. Just remember to use a tiny amount. It absorbs well for me, but skin, like hair, is different for everyone.

battles
January 12th, 2012, 11:41 AM
I kind of wish I hadn't bought my Ficcare. :shrug: It's not half as effective, comfortable, or pretty as my sticks and forks, and I have to worry about getting hair caught in the hinges. I wear it very rarely. I don't use my flexi-8s very often either, but I think that especially the XS and S are good for special occasions. But the XL I got for updos tends to snag my hair some. Most of all I wish I hadn't bought the M, because it's meant for ponytails and my hair is slippery so it just sort of sliiiiides down. :p Hair toy remorse can be pretty bad because I always think: I could have used that money for another GTS fork! They're my favorites.

As far as hair products go, I have various products that I don't use very often. Aubrey Organics JAY shampoo, V05 Kiwi Lime conditioner (I bought it to see if it would be better for CO than Suave, but OH HOW I HATE IT; it never seems to wash out!!! so I don't know what to do with it now), a coney Suave professionals conditioner that I won't use... But I don't feel too bad about those because it's just part of the learning process, and I can always give them to people, or if not most of them can be gradually used up in some fashion.

I use cheap conditioners that I didn't like for shaving. :agree: Good way to use em up.

Calaelen
January 12th, 2012, 11:53 AM
Oh gee, the $85 worth of Manic Panic I bought, the other day, in my attempt to get purple hair...That would have to go here. I ended up lightening my hair to a wonderful coppery henna only to immediately turn it back to exactly what I had before by putting the manic panic on it..:S

Malibu Barbie
January 12th, 2012, 11:59 AM
Bumpits and these hair combs that have a beaded design, they were supposed to hold a bun but my hair was to heavy. Tons of claw things but again my hair was too thick and they won't hold they're too small. I should bundle them all up and stick them on the swap boards. Heathlysexyhair, I used to love this stuff but they changed their formula, since then it does nothing for my hair but I had stocked up before I found out. Several leave in condish. I had a habit of buying a different one everytime stepped into a beauty supply shop. I always liked to try new things. About four cans of hairspray and dry shampoos. I keep telling myself I might need it all if I run out of my normal stuff.
This never happens. I have about 30 headbands I bought and they're too tight on my head so I stick them in baggies. I have about 5 full right now. I keep thinking I might need them if my others fall apart. I need to get rid of those as well.

I do have a bottle that I dump all the remains of my different conditioners into. Doesn't matter the brands I mix then all together.. It works better then all of my other single conditions alone.

rock007junkie
January 12th, 2012, 12:15 PM
Oh so many:-A ridiculous amount of oils when I first started experimenting with them.
-Indigo powder: My hair was still pretty dark with henna so there was no need to use it.
-A flat iron: I think I've used it once.
-Phyto 7: Even though it is pretty moisturizing it is way overpriced.
-Also bought way too many flexi-8s

schweedie
January 12th, 2012, 12:26 PM
I bought a few different shampoos from Urtekram and Sante - they were quite expensive, but they sounded so great... And it turned out they were all absolutely horrible for my scalp, way too harsh. Sometimes I think they may have been the cause of my now recurring scalp issues, because I can't remember ever having these problems before those shampoos.

I also bought a lot of hairtoys when I started out that I've ended up basically never wearing.

Safira
January 12th, 2012, 01:59 PM
I regret Lanza products, Redken products, Joico products and much much more. If only I knew back then, it was waste of money. Well, now I know better, but I have much shampoos and conditioners I don´t use. Such, such waste of money.

Deborah
January 12th, 2012, 06:44 PM
I have purchased MANY hairtoys that I don't like or use. They were not a waste though, as I gave them away to friends who love them, so all is well. Same with oils and such. I can usually use them for something else. When that is not feasible, I give them away. It's all good to me. :)

irishlady
January 12th, 2012, 06:47 PM
Spin Pins. I got them to work once and they have never worked again!!

owlathena
January 12th, 2012, 07:04 PM
I spent $40 at one of those stands at the mall with the shiny clips and whatnot. I got a fork/comb and an alligator clip, both with pretty shiny jewels on them. Many of the jewels fell out before I even wore them, and the clip had metal teeth on the inside that caught and ripped my hair

akilina
January 12th, 2012, 07:56 PM
I have many. I like to try a LOT of products out and I'll admit in the past I've been a sucker for things aimed towards "hair growth" which didnt do squat.
I think alot of things are hit and miss. I usually give all the things I don't like to my room mate and she loves them! :) So it works out alright...atleast someones using the stuff I spent money on so its not a total waste. There are a few though that I have just straight up thrown OUT.

jojo
January 12th, 2012, 11:56 PM
I bought 2 lovely hair toys, really antique looking but they are way too heavy, which is a shame as they are so pretty.

Bazinga
January 13th, 2012, 12:03 AM
I ordered a bottle of mane'n'tail shampoo because I've read somewhere that it helps promote hair growth. When it finally arrived I read in the ingredients list that it has cones in it. I didn't see that coming, somehow missed that detail in the description.:(

C.H.
January 13th, 2012, 12:46 AM
My $200 top of the line flat iron. Got it as a gift about 6 months before finding LHC and deciding that I needed to avoid heat, so now it just sits on the shelf (same goes for the heat protectant I stocked up on). It's a shame for such an expensive item to go unused, but at the same time, I wouldn't give it back--I do still want the option of straightening my hair, even if it's rare. Also, a very expensive coney salon-brand deep conditioner, which I used just once before learning some things on LHC and deciding to go conefree. I slightly regret the two hair swords I bought as they were more than I usually spend for hair toys and the dimensions are just not optimal for many of my updos. I also regretted bulk buying some Suave before deciding that I wanted to experiment with some other options, but I'm working my way through it quickly so that turned out not to be such a big deal.

squirrel83
January 13th, 2012, 01:07 AM
I regret buying lots of shampoo, conditioner, and deep conditioner for black hair. They used to be my favorite hair care products, and the line was discontinued.
Guess what, two months after I stocked up on that stuff I stopped dying my hair black and switched to brown... What a waste of money.

cheetahfast
January 13th, 2012, 07:56 AM
Carol's Daughter products---I had massive protein overload and didn't know it!
I did use them until I ran out. :shrug:

It was still a waste considering I had ugly hair for a semester.

Loviatar
January 13th, 2012, 08:21 AM
Indigo powder. I aimed for chocolate brown, wound up with black, and then tried to bleach it out. Green hair!

I also regret buying some of the coney shampoo and conditioners I got in the past, but it was all trial and error, I had to try everything :)

UP Lisa
January 13th, 2012, 08:45 AM
I have regretted many of my purchases. When my hair was shorter, and I first discovered I had waves, I bought a dryer, a diffuser, and various products to try to enhance the waves. As my hair got longer, I quit drying it, and had to keep it up all the time, so nobody sees the waves anyway.

Also regret certain clips and hair elastics that didn't work for my hair. I have a lot of scrunchies that I don't wear since I really can't have my hair in a ponytail. I have hair toys that I like, but I don't use.

And then there are all the products that turned out to be not that great.....

Lapin
January 13th, 2012, 09:34 AM
Every single shampoo and conditioner I have ever bought.
Seriously. I can't find my HG :(

Right now I use an Aveeno shampoo & body wash for babies, but only because I am not allergic to it. And my stupid conditioner is -cone laden, which I didn't realize because I bought it at Target in November on a Saturday when the store was packed with holiday maniacs and I was urgently trying to get the heck outta there.

Thinking I might spring for some Toadstool shampoo and conditioner next, although the scents may just leave me with some more regret-list fodder. BPAL scents seem fine with me though, so maybe not. Way to make sense, allergies.

islandboo
January 13th, 2012, 05:50 PM
Thinking I might spring for some Toadstool shampoo and conditioner next, although the scents may just leave me with some more regret-list fodder. BPAL scents seem fine with me though, so maybe not. Way to make sense, allergies.

Remember, she does have unscented versions :)

amberpotamus
January 13th, 2012, 06:33 PM

That sounds lovely! What kind of B5 do you use? (I mean to say, is it just like capsules broken open?)

ktani
January 29th, 2012, 06:05 AM
I bought a hair toy last week that was to heavy for my hair. I gave it to a friend instead.

Fairlight63
January 29th, 2012, 06:21 AM
I have a LOT of regrets!
Most of the shampoo's & cond. don't seem to work with my hair. Have not found the perfect one yet.
Spin pins: I cound not get them to work in my fine, thin hair. So back to using bobby pins, or my ficcares.
Flex-8's: get tangled in my hair & don't hold very good for buns. The small ones work good for half-up's, if small enough, or they slip out of my hair.
Hair forks, hair sticks: can't get them to stay in either.

LittleOrca
January 29th, 2012, 07:56 PM
I regret a lot of purchases because they just did not work for my hair, no matter how much I wanted them to.

Dove Moisture Shampoo
Dove Moisture Conditioner
Aubrey Organics Shampoo
Aubrey Organics Conditioner
Rainforest Conditioner from Body Shop
Garnier Moisture Works Conditioner
Anything Pantene
Garnier Flat Iron Protectant (Bought it so I could do one hair style without killing my hair... Not done that style since)
Hair Zings / Similar Products (Come right out of my hair)
Wooden Combs (Bought tons... Will soon be art projects I'm sure.)
Tres Flores Mineral Oil (Cannot get it to work for me)

planetqueenie
January 29th, 2012, 08:54 PM
I love this question! I have tried so many things over the years, some I liked some I didn't, but I would say my absolute REGRETS would be:
*Terresentials hair wash,I bought this stuff like three times before I finally said, ok I don't like it!
*these hair pins, not bobby pins, but the open hair pins like little hair forks. Did not stay at all, they are just sitting there in my basket now.
*evolution hair ties(basically like a silicone rubber band)
*pillow rollers(not good for hair like past shoulder area)I actually bought these twice:o
*a sleep bonnet, uncomfortable, kinda silly, I used it a couple of days and then tossed in the drawer!

So, now I use morrocco method hair care products,really gentle hair scrunchies and clips, things that actually stay, I can't wait to try ficcare and I want to get some silk scrunchies!! I also use sponge rollers because they hold as much hair as I want, and I sleep on a pillowcap! I like the pillowcap but I really want a silk pillowcase someday.

Aethernaught
January 29th, 2012, 09:02 PM
Any time I caved in and bought a "frizz serum" of any type that contained cones, then tried it and had a horrible look, and realized that I simply had to change something else or do ANYTHING besides use that dang frizz serum. =( It's like I had to spend $8 to $14 once a year to remind myself "this stuff doesn't work but neither is your current routine, change it up!"