PDA

View Full Version : Controlling layers when braiding

PennyLaneDream
January 10th, 2012, 02:13 PM
I have quite a few layers in my hair, which I like when I wear my hair down (my hair is very boring without them), but when I try to braid my hair the layers splay out at random spots and make it look very disheveled. Does anyone have suggestions for controlling the layers when I'm wearing braids?

EtherealDoll
January 10th, 2012, 02:19 PM
You can try braiding your hair from a high ponytail, then the layers won't stick out from the braid that much.

Vanille_
January 10th, 2012, 02:21 PM
I've adjusted where I tie my braid off. I tie it off right above where my highest layer sticks out. Sorry, I know it's not that helpful. But that's just what I do.

Anje
January 10th, 2012, 02:25 PM
It probably doesn't help for every day, but if you feel like soaking your hair in oil for a deep treatment anyway, braids on oily hair don't splay out nearly as much as braids on dry hair.

French braids definitely are neater for short layers than dutch braids.

Arashi
January 10th, 2012, 02:26 PM
I notice my layers poke out less with a french braid, and also with a tiny bit of oil added to the length before braiding.

arantxarivas
January 10th, 2012, 02:35 PM
We are in the same place! I actually hate my layers!
But when im going to braid my hair i just spray my hair with a mist
That really works for me!. Maybe because my mister bottle have oils in it
I don't know but yes it works for me.

littleizz
January 10th, 2012, 02:43 PM
Really glad you asked that, because I have the same love/hate relationship with layers.
I feel like my hair looks frumpy and blunt if I don't have them, but they make updos SO
much more difficult.

I'll second etherealdoll, though. If you put your hair in a high pony it will all be closer to
the same length. Because of my layers, high sock buns are much easier than low sock
buns because everything gets rolled up all together :)

young&reckless
January 10th, 2012, 03:19 PM
I twist my hair a little when I braid. Just a little half spin as I pull one section over another and that seams to help keep my braids a little neater.

Also I try to sprits it with something, even just water, when its dry.

Madora
January 10th, 2012, 03:27 PM
This method may not work for all layered hair, but here's what worked for me (my hair is not layered, per se, but some of it is way shorter than the rest of it):

1) make sure your hair if thoroughly detangled

2) Try and surround the shorter hairs with longer hairs. In effect, you are "trapping" the shorter hairs by surrounding them with longer hairs.

3) braid down the braid.

4) You might find that "borrowing" from thicker strands to add into skimpier strands might enable you to extend the braiding down a little bit more.

Admittedly, this method works a lot better if you can see what you're doing..and if your hair is longer than bsl..but I thought I'd mention it anyway.

PennyLaneDream
January 10th, 2012, 05:45 PM
Thanks for all the replies, anything is more helpful than what I'm currently doing (which consists of staring at my braids in frustration and fiddling with them until they look worse than they did at the beginning). For the people who said to use water/oil would it be better to use this on the hair before braiding or smooth it over the braid afterwards?

JuliaDancer
January 10th, 2012, 05:49 PM
use the water/oil before braiding and it'll help it "stick".

Lilhypsy
January 10th, 2012, 06:12 PM
I braid my hair wet. Smooth it with a little oil and it is easier to keep together and keeps the layered hairs in. When I see them poke out its also easier to see immediately and tuck them under the longer hair.

PennyLaneDream
January 10th, 2012, 11:12 PM
Thanks so much! I've tried braiding my hair wet before but never with oil, my hair's fairly cooperative so I think the added oil will be just the thing I was looking for

faellen
January 11th, 2012, 04:37 PM
I've had some long layers put in, which I love when my hair is down, but oh my god, my plaits are just awful now with wispy bits sticking out! I'm going to try the oil suggestion!