PDA

View Full Version : Happy sweaty hair

Alibran
January 10th, 2012, 01:16 PM
I have very dry hair that actually gets drier rather than greasy if I don't wash frequently and add moisture to it.

Since I live in a hot country (well, not so hot at the moment, but gets very hot in summer), I find my head sweats a lot when I exercise. It's especially noticeable when I cycle in the summer and my hair, which is only about chin length at the moment, gets soaked with sweat under my helmet. If I can bear to not wash it, and just spread the sweat through it with my hands, scrunch it back into shape, and leave it to dry, it's much more soft and silky and looks "healthier" once it's dried.

What is it about sweat that my hair likes so much?

Amber_Maiden
January 10th, 2012, 01:18 PM
Have no idea... Maybe your scalp produces sebum as well and that's what your hair likes?

ElusiveMuse
January 10th, 2012, 01:31 PM
I have no answer to your question but I am jealous that you live in Spain! I love that country so much. I vacationed there two summers ago (during World Cup! Although not on purpose) and it was so incredibly beautiful and culturally rich. And I think I never ate so well in my life! The food in Spain is probably my favorite in Europe (sorry, France and Italy!).

littleizz
January 10th, 2012, 01:36 PM
I have the same thing! I think it has something to do with the salt from sweat. Have you ever gone swimming in the ocean and loved the way your hair naturally dried afterwards? Salt is used in water softeners, too, and a lot of people like the way their hair behaves in soft water. Might not be the correct answer, but that's my .02 :)

Sushi144
January 10th, 2012, 01:43 PM
Well... Sweat mixed with sebum is greasy, I guess. So if your hair are dry, they can only like it ! It's cool if it helps you to stretch washes.

ElusiveMuse : Don't worry, we forgive you. :D

Alibran
January 10th, 2012, 02:04 PM
I did wonder if the sweat was combining with the small amount of thick sebum that my scalp seems to produce and distributing it through the hair.

I'd also wondered about salt, and now you mention it, littleiz, I seem to remember someone experimenting with salt water washes on this forum years ago. We live in a very hard water area, so there could be something in that.