PDA

View Full Version : Any one else tried shea butter in there hair?

Zoulvisia
January 10th, 2012, 12:07 PM
I know that most long haired beauties out there recommend using oil like jojoba and coconut but I've being reading allot of good things about the properties of Shea butter. So I made a mixture of Shea butter, coconut oil, olive oil, lavender oil and a bit of cornstarch and whipped it together to make a very nice sort of 'hair balm'. I've been using it about everyday and it soaks into my hair really well and my ends look healthy as ever! I was wondering if anyone else has tried this and whys its not more popular because I've found the results to be more pleasing than just oils alone (which seems to make the bottom of my hair go stringy and oil)

Amber_Maiden
January 10th, 2012, 12:09 PM
I've tried it- alone and mixed with oils and my hair hated it! :(

Nannanej
January 10th, 2012, 12:14 PM
I use shea butter too! It makes my hair really soft. I don't think my results are very different than with oiling though, and I guess it seems like more of a mess/bother to people since it's so sticky and has to be worked with a bit or even warmed up. Maybe that could be why it's not more popular? I know there was/is some pretty popular shea butter treatment recipe thing by a user here, don't remember the name though.
Also, there's shea butter in the nightblooming panacea salve.
My guess is that used alone, people probably find it too sticky/hard to work with.

HintOfMint
January 10th, 2012, 12:17 PM
I've tried it both alone and whipped with oils (Panacea) and my hair loves it. It feels more like product, but it really calms the frizzies and gives a really nice weight to my hair. My hair just looks more "done" with shea butter.

Maktub
January 10th, 2012, 12:25 PM
I like it lots ! BUT :

applied a little on wet hair
in my hair, shea butter doesn't like to be sitting "above" things, or have things "over it" : works on clean hair that doesn't have residue, and messes up if, the next day, I try adding oil, more shea, or anything over it.

EtherealDoll
January 10th, 2012, 12:28 PM
I started using Shea butter on my hair after my last dye job(December 2011) and now it looks much healthier, almost as if it wasn't dyed so many times before :)
I haven't tried to mix it with other oils.

SpinDance
January 10th, 2012, 12:38 PM
I'm not currently using it in my hair except as it is in Panacea. However, I do melt and blend together a number of oils to use as skin balm. I have used and am using various blends of Shea Butter, coconut oil, jojoba oil (because it penetrates the skin), mango butter, sweet almond oil and cocoa butter. I use as much of the solid at room temp stuff as I need to make the various liquid oils hold in a solid that melts basically on contact with my skin. I use it nightly and sometimes during the day to help protect and heal my dry hands. I also use in on my feet to keep the callus from getting hard and cracking, applying it before bed then putting on loose socks. Works a treat.

Sushi144
January 10th, 2012, 12:42 PM
I use shea butter daily on my ends - and even a little bit higher actually ^^ - and it makes my hair great !
I couldn't find any other proper oil for hair in my city, so I've tried this. In only a few days, it made my hair really shinier and soft ! As it's solid, I just take a little piece of it in my palm, melt it, and just apply it !

It's quickly absorbed by my hair, doesn't make it oily at all. Maybe because my hair is very, very dry !

battles
January 10th, 2012, 12:49 PM
I just ordered some of this to try. :) I've never used any shea butter, though.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/84694630/whipped-shea-butter-mango-shea-bulgarian

Lala3488
January 10th, 2012, 01:19 PM
I use shea butter whipped up with coconut oil, jojoba, sweet almond, grapeseed oil. It is a bit heavy, so i usually just use it on my ends when im about to put my hair up in a bun.

PrairieRose
January 10th, 2012, 01:25 PM
I love Shea butter, but I have only used it alone. I may have to try mixing it:D

holothuroidea
January 10th, 2012, 01:30 PM
I'm a fan of shea. I use it on my hands and face and if there's some extra on my hands it ends up in my hair.

I haven't noticed a difference, and I don't really pay attention because I don't purposefully put it in my hair. It makes my skin happy, though.

Resham Carden
January 10th, 2012, 01:45 PM
I just tried shea butter on my hair about a week ago. I initially purchased it for my skin and lips because of the winter weather. I wondered if it would work on hair since it was a multi-purpose item. I read that it could work, so far I like it but haven't noticed much difference. (I use both jojoba and coconut oil almost everyday in my ends.). I think I will try your recipe because I already have lavender oil on hand. (I make a lavender water that I spritz on every so often for fragrance in my hair.) Hopefully I my hair benefits from this! Thanks for the idea.

ellen732
January 10th, 2012, 02:25 PM
I love Fox's Shea Butter Conditioning Cream, I use it before I bun my hair. I also have a mixture of mostly Shea butter with some coconut oil that I whipped together that I use on my lips, but also on my ends.

Diamond.Eyes
January 10th, 2012, 02:32 PM
I have tried both refined and unrefined shea butter, and honestly the only difference I noticed was the smell. The unrefined blend smelt ashen; kind of like burnt wood. I prefer the refined shea butter because it isn't so stinky. I find that shea butter is quite easy to work with on it's own and haven't experienced any difficulties applying it so my hair :shrug:. But, I usually mix it with some coconut oil and a few drops of whatever bpal perfume I feel like putting in my hair that day. It's even easier to work with it that way. :) It smoothes down frizz, makes my hair soft and is a great carrier for my hair perfumes. :)

aisha.christine
January 10th, 2012, 02:33 PM
My hair loves shea butter.
I use Fox's Shea Butter Conditioning Cream and Nightblooming's Panacea and my hair adores both. It absorbs really well and makes my ends super soft. :D

Long_hair_bear
January 10th, 2012, 02:41 PM
My deep condish's first ingredient is shea butter and my hair likes it. However, I rinse it out. :D

Juanita
January 10th, 2012, 03:11 PM
A other Shea butter fan here. For both skin and hair.

longcurlygirl<3
January 10th, 2012, 03:27 PM
I <3 Shea butter it is really moisturizing and great for your skin as well :)

CurlyCap
January 10th, 2012, 04:08 PM
I love shea butter. It really increases flexibility and makes my hair soft. It's just a pain to work in.

Thing is, it melts really well and mixes well with other oils. Once mixed, it tends not to separate out. It's in a lot of my home brews.

Elenna
January 10th, 2012, 04:15 PM
Count me in! I mix up a small amount of melted shea butter with almond oil, ojon and essential oils. Just a little bit of it works out well. I have fine hair, so a light touch is better. It seems to be a magic ingredient!

cuties
January 10th, 2012, 04:30 PM
I tried it today and I had such a hard time washing it off. I had to wash 4 times to get rid of it and a lot of hair fall in the process. My skin loves it though.

slz
January 10th, 2012, 04:59 PM
I've used it for ages for my skin an hair as well, pure.
Nowadays I use it in my butter mix (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/blog.php?b=92272). Even better.

Angel_099
January 11th, 2012, 12:15 AM
I use Chagrin Valley's whipped shea butter in my hair sometimes. I think there is grapeseed and jojoba oils mixed in too. I only need a tiny bit, and I don't find it hard to work with. I get super soft shiny hair every time! It's also good to use before clarifying because it protects the hair (or so I've read :) ).