PDA

View Full Version : What's up with my scalp?

molly_grue
January 10th, 2012, 08:28 AM
I'm not sure if the issues I'm having with my scalp are dandruff, build up, or something else.
I've always thought I had dandruff but more recently I read that it's typically large yellow scales, whereas I'd describe what I have more as small white flakes.

For the last 2 or 3 weeks I have been washing my scalp and then conditioning the length. I tried COing with my scalp but my head was SOOOO itchy the next day.

Thinking what I have is build up I used an AO clarifying shampoo. The next day I had patches of scalp that were scabby (perhaps too vigourous with my message?) and I still had the flakes.

Should I try a vinegar rinse? I have regular but not ACV. What is a good ratio for that?

My length is loving the CO, I'd be thrilled if I could make my scalp happy too.
:confused:

ladyshep
January 10th, 2012, 08:31 AM
It kind of sound like cradle cap to me. Did you have cradle cap as a baby or child? If this is what you have, don't know I'm not a doctor, you could try Neutrogena anti-residue clarifying shampoo on your scalp. That's what I use on my son (doctor and pharmacist recommended) and it works great! Hope that helps.

luvnaz
January 10th, 2012, 09:22 AM
I tried Nizoral shampoo. The active ingredient takes care of the yeast/ fungus that is the cause of dandruff. It helped me a little. But what helped me the most is Nature's Plus beauty bar with Allantoin & vitamin E. Balanced the pH & stopped the itch! I love this beauty bar! Feel really clean, but no residue or tight dry scalp or itch! I can stretch washing a lot longer too! Smells great too! Love it!!!!

I also am not drinking diet soda anymore and that has really helped. I think I am allergic to the artificial sweetener Aspartame or something in diet soda. I noticed a lot less itching & flaking since I stopped drinking diet soda!

HintOfMint
January 10th, 2012, 09:27 AM
If it's small white flakes like snow, then I think your scalp is just dry and perhaps the clarifying shampoo aggravated it. Maybe a scalp friendly oil that you put in right before washing might protect your scalp from overdrying but still allow your scalp to be clean.

dRummie
January 10th, 2012, 09:43 PM
I've been getting this recently, and I put it down to dry weather. CO makes it worse for me, and though my hair loves it, I prefer having a comfortable scalp.

Vinegar rinses help me a lot with the itchies, maybe give that a try? I use it as a final rinse on the scalp, followed by a thorough rinse of the length only (my hair doesn't like vinegar).

akilina
January 10th, 2012, 10:12 PM
do you put your hair up right away when it is wet and do you have thick heavy hair?

adiapalic
January 10th, 2012, 10:32 PM
This is something I battle every winter--for me it's a dry scalp issue. ACV rinses have helped my scalp, as does a mixture of honey, lemon, tea tree oil (for antiseptic properties) and EVOO I sometimes use this time of year. I have a blog detailing how much of each of those I use for applications and my experience with it.

I've considered doing what ^ HintOfMint has suggested and applying a really fine thin oil to my scalp before showers. It would be less involved than the honey/lemon/EVOO/tea tree oil. Rose Hip Seed Oil is one I've considered for this--it's very fine and satiny, I use it on my face regularly after I wash it.

My routine also involves shampooing scalp/conditioning length, which I think contributes to the dryness of my scalp in the winter. I can't condition my scalp because it itches tons after only a day and gets oily much quicker if I do so. :)

molly_grue
January 15th, 2012, 06:18 AM
do you put your hair up right away when it is wet and do you have thick heavy hair?
I do often do this.

jacqueline101
January 15th, 2012, 07:03 AM
I'd do a scalp scrub to loosen up all of the flakes.

kaned_ferret
January 15th, 2012, 07:29 AM
I too have suffered the same problem for years, but it only affects parts of my scalp, usually around the front. SOOO annoying when you have fresh clean hair, only to look at the scalp and see the white patches ready to lift away from your skin - and sure enough, with very little fiddling, I get it to all come up and make me look like someone had a snowstorm grrr!

I have used nizoral in the past for this, it does work well but has never cured it. I have seen a large improvement since going sulphate free and COing, but it does still occur from time to time. After using henna, I have a totally clear scalp for several weeks! But it still comes back from time to time. It is definitely a dry skin thing for me, which is related to being stressed i'm sure. I had an attack of it yesterday, but instead of washing it again to get rid of the bits, I just made sure they had all been loosened off my scalp, tried to shake as much as possible out so I didn't look too gross, then carried on as normal. Today it's all looking nice, no itchies or flakies! It is a vicious cycle like dry skin anywhere else - if you just keep scrubbing it away and not replacing moisture, the new skin will be tender and more susceptible to drying out and continuing the flakes :(

I have found that oil also helps, but I'm one of the lucky ones that can use a ton and never look oily (ha, hence constant dry skin lmao!)

Amber_Maiden
January 15th, 2012, 08:17 AM
To get rid of dandruff I pour pure undiluted ACV on my scalp and let it sit a few minutes, sometimes as much as 10. This really helps me. Maybe you could try it for what you have?

holothuroidea
January 15th, 2012, 11:05 AM
It kind of sound like cradle cap to me. Did you have cradle cap as a baby or child? If this is what you have, don't know I'm not a doctor, you could try Neutrogena anti-residue clarifying shampoo on your scalp. That's what I use on my son (doctor and pharmacist recommended) and it works great! Hope that helps.

Cradle cap is caused by 2 things, the infant's sebaceous glands producing sebum and the infant's scalp inability to absorb/shed the sebum. This is not a problem that is possible for someone to have over the age of about 7 when the scalp chemistry changes and can accommodate sebum production.

OP- It does sound like dryness. Have you been using a shampoo with sulfates? This sort of flaky itchy dryness is a common reaction to SLS.