PDA

View Full Version : Sebum build up?

pathetic_hair
January 9th, 2012, 10:01 PM
Hello everyone!

Well, I have a question regarding my scalp. I had never paid much attention to my hair and scalp, ever (I know, I know!! But it's never too late to start, lol). As a matter of fact, my hair is now reaching tailbone length only because I haven't gone for a haircut (not even a trim) in over 2 years. I like having long hair, despite having really thin/fine hair. But I've decided I'll have to get a haircut because my hair is so damaged... anyway... back on topic.

I've always had dandruff problems. Always. I never minded dandruff that much. But lately, I've noticed that I have A LOT of sebum on my scalp. It kinda has a waxy texture, I can scratch it off my scalp with my nails, even when I wash my hair (and I wash often). Sometimes it even forms small clumps around some hairs and (to my dismay!) sometimes these tiny, hard clumps of sebum come out with hairs attached to them... I wonder if it has to do with too much washing or not washing too often (I practically always wash every other day). It doesn't itch so I doubt it's something I should consult with a dermatologist, but maybe I should?

One thing I was thinking about the other day, is that I haven't been brushing my hair in a long while. I only comb it with a wide toothed comb, from the tips up to ear length to detangle, because my hair only really tangles from ear length down. So maybe the fact that I don't brush my roots is causing this?

I hope it's not hormonal, or indicative of hair loss, because I've only noticed this "sebum" on my hairline, top of the scalp and crown. Sides and back of my head are unaffected. I'm afraid of losing the little hair I have

So yeah, any ideas of what may be causing this? Should I visit the dermatologist anyway?

Amazinggrace
January 9th, 2012, 10:14 PM
I think you may want to try a real boar bristle brush, you can get inexpensive ones at walmart/Target/etc....

The BBB will help distribute the oild all the way down the hair.

almond
January 9th, 2012, 10:53 PM
This reminds me of the 'greasy dandruff' I had years ago on my scalp, I had exactly what you explained. This kind of 'dandruff' doesn't fall on your shoulders, and a bit yellowish. It made me shed, unfortunately.
I suggest you should go and see a dermatologist (though it might be something else than I had). I did and got a cream that I had to use on my scalp.
I read that tea tree oil is good, that time I didn't hear about it so I didn't try, but it works for many people.

jojo
January 10th, 2012, 12:40 AM
Sounds like sebum, ive never noticed it in mine but have read some do a practice called "scritching" maybe put the term in search, its basically i think using a combs teeth to move it from the scalp. I am sure somebody with more knowledge will be around and explain it better.

You may also want to try a ACV rinse, it may help.

Gypsygirl
January 10th, 2012, 01:06 AM
It doesn't itch so I doubt it's something I should consult with a dermatologist, but maybe I should?

I would just to be sure it's not something hormonal- and who knows, he/she might have a great idea or two to help you get rid of this problem.

It could be diet-related, too, by the way. Any changes lately? I think I'd try to eat very healthy for a while and see if that does anything for your scalp. What else...let's think. Winter air, maybe? (Dry inside, cold outside?) Not enough air as in wearing tight hats all the time? Are you maybe using too hot water during the colder months? An "aggressive" new brush or comb? All of that could contribute to your problem.

Hope that helps... Hope it clears up soon! :flower: