PDA

View Full Version : HORRIBLE dye/bleach results need to vent...

GoldberryHair
January 9th, 2012, 08:55 PM
Ok, so first off if you have rude comments, hidesight, or I-told-you-so's please don't comment because I've had my fill of then already..

to anyone that hasn't read my other posts, I wanted to bleach/dye my hair Gwen Stefani blonde... I bought 3 boxes of platinum blonde hair dye from Target (shoulda known better), turned my hair Orange...went to Sallys, got a toner/bleach kit, and it is now cartoon character yellow blonde...I'm so depressed I wanted the platinum not this and now that I have it I miss my natural hair so much...I don't know what I was thinking...my natural color was beautiful (not to toot my own horn lol) I regret it 100% :( I would do anything to take it back because I can't afford to go to a salon to fix it (that's why I tried to do it myself in the first place and in the end I ended up spending about 50$ which Idk bout everyone else but that's SOOO much to me) so that makes me even more mad that I wasted so much money and I hate it...tonight I picked up Shimmer Lights purple shampoo by the suggestion of the Sally girl to try to tone it down...I would give anything to get my natural color back, :( I know it's my own fault...my hair was so healthy, (it still is pretty much, its pretty resilient against damange) and I miss my color...I feel so dumb.

Sorry for all the whining but I needed a vent so bad. :'(

I WANT MY OLD HAIR BACK UGH!

below is a picture of the horrible results in case someone has a suggestion [suggestions welcome]

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=8435&pictureid=123277

cheetahfast
January 9th, 2012, 09:06 PM
No suggestions!

I've been there, I know it sucks.

On the bright side...sorta...cats cannot tell shades apart too well, so your babies will have no idea!

Maktub
January 9th, 2012, 09:08 PM
ouch :(

My suggestion is : do a deep treatment, get that hair up in some updo and take time to relax and get over the emotion.

After this is done, keep babying it, be gratefull that it is still not too damaged, and put money aside slowly until you can aford to go to the salon (find someone you trust) and ask them to match your natural color. I have this feeling that anything else will lead to more problems, more damage, more frustration...

:grouphug:

Ravenwind
January 9th, 2012, 09:09 PM
Honestly, I think the color looks very pretty! It's so shiny and looks really soft and healthy. But I know how you feel about wanting a color so bad and working hard for it, then once you get it and it's not what you expected, you regret it :( just take it day by day and try lightening the color gradually if that's what you want to keep on doing.

btw, I think a clarifying shampoo can tone down the orange/brassiness.

GoldberryHair
January 9th, 2012, 09:12 PM
Honestly, I think the color looks very pretty! It's so shiny and looks really soft and healthy. But I know how you feel about wanting a color so bad and working hard for it, then once you get it and it's not what you expected, you regret it :( just take it day by day and try lightening the color gradually if that's what you want to keep on doing.

Yeah, I'm thinking with the purple shampoo (and I'll try a clarifying, is Suave ok?) plus hopefully it'll start to fade with time and just kinda blend into my natural color somewhat...ughh just what a waste of money!

Thank you :)

akilina
January 9th, 2012, 09:12 PM
Idk... i would trust the beauty college i went to school at....but you could possibly locate a school and simply have them tone your hair. its ALWAYS cheaper and they should have skilled instructors there to help pickout exactly what you need to tone it with correctly with no damage. your hair is fixable. it wont be white but its totally tonable. ive had awful bad hair and toned it to a perfect color.
PLEASEEEE dont do anything drastic at the moment! your hair needs a break. especially if you used a box dye. they usually contain a developer WAY higher than you even need.

GoldberryHair
January 9th, 2012, 09:13 PM
Idk... i would trust the beauty college i went to school at....but you could possibly locate a school and simply have them tone your hair. its ALWAYS cheaper and they should have skilled instructors there to help pickout exactly what you need to tone it with correctly with no damage. your hair is fixable. it wont be white but its totally tonable. ive had awful bad hair and toned it to a perfect color.
PLEASEEEE dont do anything drastic at the moment! your hair needs a break. especially if you used a box dye. they usually contain a developer WAY higher than you even need.

The girl at Sally's said toner wouldn't help at all :(

Darkhorse1
January 9th, 2012, 09:14 PM
Awe! I'm so sorry this happened. I think everyone here has had a situation in which we did something and we regretted it.

Is there any way your family could help you go to a hair dresser and fix it? I wouldn't recommend any more self attempts--a good colorist can fix this. My hair dresser told me that blond hair is the absence of a certain color, but I can't remember what color.

I think it looks nice, but I know how you feel (((hugs)))

Ravenwind
January 9th, 2012, 09:16 PM
Suave should be fine :) I have used it (not for bleached hair though) just to clarify, but I have seen a video on youtube about a girl that used Suave to tone down her bleached hair.

akilina
January 9th, 2012, 09:17 PM
thats a lie. dont believe some **#($#()@#***** who works at sallys and isnt a licensed cosmetologist who has been trained in how all that junk works. it totally would help. you just need someone who knows their stuff to pick one out for you. hehe id help you if i could.

Achtland
January 9th, 2012, 09:20 PM

I agree, the color is not absolutely terrible by any means. And indeed, the condition of your hair looks very good despite!

One word: purple shampoo. Use it on a weekly basis along with a lot of TLC (sometimes bleached hair doesn't show damage till months later - I know from experience)

And also, wait about a month if you can. If you still really despise it may I suggest getting ash lowlights to tone it down further - if your hair takes alright to ash colors! Always make sure the salon does a strand test first.

Good Luck :)

Piyo
:( I'd think your hair color would have lifted more than that, closer to the color you wanted instead of orange.

It usually takes people a few dye attempts on their own to get to that platinum color, but your hair will be pretty fried...

I think at this point if I were you I'd just try to match your original color as best you can.

Kyla
Your hair still looks very healthy though!

Aeris
January 9th, 2012, 09:23 PM
Oh, sweetie, I'm sorry you're not happy with your results. :grouphug:

Your experience reminds me of something that happened to me last January. My hair is naturally very dark brown, plus some henna. My (now ex) boyfriend at the time convinced me that I should try and lighten it to make me look "warmer", so we decided to try some at-home highlights. They didn't show up on my hair at all, so we went back to the store and got some simple light chestnut brown dye. This also didn't do anything to my hair. So, we went back to the store, and returned with two boxes of super-light honey blonde dye, thinking that it would lighten it just a touch, since the light brown hadn't done a thing.

After ten minutes of the bleach on my head, my scalp started burning horribly, and I ran to go rinse it out. The top two inches of my hair were PLATINUM. When I glanced in the mirror as I was rinsing it, I started having a panic attack, because it seriously looked like I was going bald. I was crying so hard and regretting it so much, while my bf just kept laughing hysterically. :mad:

After 2 boxes of dark brown dye (in hopes of fixing my new halo), the blonde darkened, but you could still tell there was some serious color issues with my hair. I finally decided to hold off until the next day, and get it fixed professionally (which ended up requiring several hours of dye and then some lightening, to get it looking as close to my natural color as possible). I am STILL growing out the damage from those 2 days. I guess I am lucky that my previous henna didn't react with any of the dye; green hair definitely would have made this worse.

But after it was all fixed, I felt much better. I got a ton of color-experimenting out of my system, and I definitely know now that I don't want to mess with chemical dyes ever again.

Bottom line: you aren't dumb at all! It just happens sometimes that at-home hair color goes horrible, plenty of people have been in the same boat, or had worse. And you probably won't have much damage, your hair looks like it is still in great condition.

My advice would be to get it professionally corrected, if you can. It'll save a lot of potential anguish from trying to fix it at home. And you do have such a gorgeous natural color! It'll be back to that in no time. In the meantime, it really doesn't look awful - it's much better than having the top 2 inches of your hair being about 5 shades lighter! I had to go to work like that too :(

I wish you the best of luck! :)

hendricks82
January 9th, 2012, 09:27 PM
I know NOTHING about color or dying/bleaching hair... but out of curiosity on another thread I googled Manic Panic. I read on their website about the "Snow White" dye. Apparently it is to get the yellow and ruddy tones out of bleached hair to give it a true white. I thought this might be something you would like to look into.

akilina
January 9th, 2012, 09:30 PM
I know NOTHING about color or dying/bleaching hair... but out of curiosity on another thread I googled Manic Panic. I read on their website about the "Snow White" dye. Apparently it is to get the yellow and ruddy tones out of bleached hair to give it a true white. I thought this might be something you would like to look into.
i tried it. it was fun while it lasted but i was already super light blond and it didnt do as much as i would have liked it to. this stuff would probably do nothing for her hair although a fun experiment.
sometimes when i had no toner i would mix the tiniest blob of purple hair dye with a ton of conditioner and tone my hair with that. it did a really good job

GoldberryHair
January 9th, 2012, 09:30 PM
Thats what I thought thats why I actually attempted it myself and yes forget platinum I just want my
natural color now...

akilina
January 9th, 2012, 09:40 PM
heh not trying to lurk your thread a bunch...wait maybe a week or so and baby your hair then find a demi dye in a color you like close to your natural color and color over it. :] dont use a box dye go to sallys and pick a color you like and get 10vol developer. this will be so much less damaging. its possible though that over time it will fade out since your hair is porous since bleaching.
goodluck with all of this! i hope you can come to something that you are happy with :)

Piyo
January 9th, 2012, 09:41 PM
If it's at all possible, I think you should try to get some help at a salon. They might be able to work some magic for you. :)

I once tried dyeing my hair platinum a few years ago and had similar results as you did. What I ended up doing was buying the ashiest color of dye I could find and used that to tone it down. It ended up fading into a decent neutral color. I'm not saying this is what you should do, just letting you know I've been there.

justgreen
January 9th, 2012, 09:42 PM
Ok, as a professional bleach head (I let a pro do it), I would suggest SMT treatments for a couple of weeks, then go to a pro and get some light brown ash lowlights added, to help tone down the yellow. Also have a few foils woven in with some bleach to get a few platinum glints. You should be able to get good lowlights at a beauty school for less than $40 and ask for their BEST foiler.

ETA: PLEASE do not dump a box of dye on your head of any color. Also do not let anyone put a TONER on your head, it creates brassies later on. Use diluted shampoo, purple or blue if you want, and lots of moisturizing conditioners.

jojo
January 9th, 2012, 09:47 PM
Oh dear been that and done that myself, you could always put a semi like loving care in ash, this will get rid of the peachy tones and make it look a bit better. i wouldnt get a permanent dye or try blonding further or you are going to have major damage, even the strongest hair will break with bleach . Like I said ive been there and done that, but eventually your going to seesome damage id recommend coconut oil to keep any damage with may (and your hair looks in pretty good nick) show up in a few months time. But yeah id say get a ash semi or temp dye.
Good luck and dont applogise for being upset, thats what were here for to help and give advice, it desnt look as bad as you think!

insomniac-uk
January 9th, 2012, 09:47 PM
You should try Special Effects toner, you can get it from Amazon. My friend uses this for her platinum blonde, her hair is a lot lighter so you might not get platinum but it should tone down the yellow. It doesn't damage the hair but follow the instructions exactly sometimes if left on too long it colours the hair light violet.

GoldberryHair
January 9th, 2012, 09:50 PM
heh not trying to lurk your thread a bunch...wait maybe a week or so and baby your hair then find a demi dye in a color you like close to your natural color and color over it. :] dont use a box dye go to sallys and pick a color you like and get 10vol developer. this will be so much less damaging. its possible though that over time it will fade out since your hair is porous since bleaching.
goodluck with all of this! i hope you can come to something that you are happy with :)
Oohh thats sounds good (and lol lurk away) maybe I'll that and hope it fades too

GoldberryHair
January 9th, 2012, 09:53 PM
Oh dear been that and done that myself, you could always put a semi like loving care in ash, this will get rid of the peachy tones and make it look a bit better. i wouldnt get a permanent dye or try blonding further or you are going to have major damage, even the strongest hair will break with bleach . Like I said ive been there and done that, but eventually your going to seesome damage id recommend coconut oil to keep any damage with may (and your hair looks in pretty good nick) show up in a few months time. But yeah id say get a ash semi or temp dye.
Good luck and dont applogise for being upset, thats what were here for to help and give advice, it desnt look as bad as you think!
Yes temps seem to be a good idea..hopefully not expensive..this mess already cost me a lot..and thanks its situations like this Im glad I have LHC and you ladies to turn to :)

lw8666
January 9th, 2012, 10:29 PM
i had a similar situation years ago. purple shampoo and coconut oil is all i can recommend. it helped my yellow hair become a nicer ashier color.

lolot
January 9th, 2012, 10:30 PM
i actually like it and your hair looks very soft and shiny, i think you are shocked because of the change but maybe you end loving it, but its nice, you have a glowing presence now and it wiil fade, i say you leave it like that for a couple of weeks and if you still dont like it by then find a dye similar to your colour and match it

sfgirl
January 9th, 2012, 10:41 PM
I used Wella T18 White Lady. You can get it at Sally's. If your hair is resilient to damage use a 30 toner instead of ten. You will get Gwen Stefani Blonde. As for my bleach I always used Clairol Kalidacolors Blue, with way too strong of developer, and that would get it light enough by itself, the toner was for actual snow colored hair. I'm sorry about your problem. :( hope it gets better.
Also if you don't want further damage, try Clairol Shimmer Lights, it will tone down the orange. I promise.

Mesmerise
January 9th, 2012, 10:44 PM
Ahh been there done that myself! Fortunately for me, my hair was short!! I kept bleaching away trying to get rid of the orangish look, and in the end my roots were white but the orangish remained (probably because I was trying to bleach out BLACK... I kid you not). LOL. I ended up getting my mum to take me to the pharmacy so she could run in and buy a dye (I refused to be seen in public :p).

My hair was pretty ruined after this, but it took awhile for the real damage to show. As in, it was probably 12+ months later that I noticed how many splits and white dots I had in my hair, which I'd been trying to grow longer again (and which I'd stupidly dyed black again).

Really, I don't think your hair looks THAT bad, but if I were in your position I'd probably not be happy with it either. And by that I mean, I tend to be harder on myself than I am on others, and I can think something looks fine on someone else, but is intolerable on me!

akilina
January 9th, 2012, 10:48 PM
if you do tone if there is no reason to use a 30 volume developer. at all. toning it basically consists of "Deposit only" in that case you would only use a 10. you are toning.not lifting. i sometimes only use a 6 vol developer and that really works just fine.

pierrotlunaire
January 9th, 2012, 10:52 PM
I have had so much bad luck when I decided to dye my golden blonde hair. I wanted to have lighter ash color, but alas, my hair turned extremely brassy and then, after a few tries to fix the brassiness, yellow. I finally decided to dye it darker blonde to fix the color. It helped and the darker color eventually evened out. my hair does not look so fake anymore, thank god. I would suggest waiting until your color washes out and then deciding what to do. color does fade : )

justgreen
January 9th, 2012, 10:57 PM
I have had so much bad luck when I decided to dye my golden blonde hair. I wanted to have lighter ash color, but alas, my hair turned extremely brassy and then, after a few tries to fix the brassiness, yellow. I finally decided to dye it darker blonde to fix the color. It helped and the darker color eventually evened out. my hair does not look so fake anymore, thank god. I would suggest waiting until your color washes out and then deciding what to do. color does fade : )

I respectfully disagree with this. Bleach does not fade.:o

tiny_teesha
January 9th, 2012, 11:58 PM
Firstly, it's nto so bad. Secondly, yes, a purple toner should work it turning it more a ...ashy hue....or grey, but grey is in and it will fade back to the yellow continually.

I suggest that you dye your hair back to your natural shade. That way you get ur colour back, Perhaps use henna?

It was bleach. Bleach doesn't fade as it removes the colour in your hair. It can't magiacally come back, it has to grow out.

You may want to consider a rinse. Rinces are not damaging, and they are also known for staining light blonde hair...so you may indeed get the dye factor without useing peroxide or ammonia which are harmful to hair. You could try using herbs too, like rosemary and sage tea. With time this spray in will turn your hair a darker shade, it works on greys.

Just greens answer was an expensive one though i bet that would work great. But i also agree with her, bleach does not fade.

I've bleached before...put box highlights in, turns orange, FRIED my hair. Like, bad. Since then i kept dying and decided in the end to GROW IT OUT....you know, after dying my hair PITCH black, i'm so pale i had to rock the goth look for years, and it wouldn't fade because my hair was so porous it really took up the dye.

ETA - this (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=2) like will be helpful as a herbal hair dye guide. - blue berries, cherry, indigo- be careful for that green look. STRAND TEST!!!

Also, i found my hair showed bleach damage after many months in just my fringe, so i bet yours will too. You are probably going to have to baby your hair a lot...and trust me when i say you really have to deep treat weekly, or per wash, buy a really thick good conditioner and pre oil before every shower. You'll thank yourself in the end. If you start getting stiff ends you know why.

missdelarocha
January 10th, 2012, 12:07 AM
I know you miss your natural but, you just put your hair through all that just to dye it back again?
I think it would be cool to at least attempt making it work, you may like it.

I have completed my hairdressers qualification, I love colour I just do not like the industry at all but I continue to use my knowledge at home and for friends and family.
Anyway with that said I will try to help out.

All hair sits on a level from 1 - 10, regardless of whether you're a redhead, ashy or just warm.
1-10 is a greyscale or purely underlying pigment measure of how light/dark somebody's hair is.
When you lighten hair you reveal the underlying pigments, if you lighten and do not tone (counteract the colours you dislike) you are left with the underlying pigment only.
They are listed as this.

Levels 1 - 5: Red ........Counteracting = Green
Level 6: Red Orange ...Counteracting = Blue Green
7: Orange ..................Counteracting = Blue
8: Orange Yellow ........Counteracting = Blue Violet
9: Yellow ....................Counteracting = Violet
10: Pale Yellow ...........Counteracting = Violet but a less intense formula (e.g MP Virgin Snow)
I'm having a hard time lining this up more clearly, apologies.

Your counteracting colour is opposite to the colour you dislike on the colour wheel.
Here is a picture to show you:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=8933&pictureid=123287

Now that we have that sorted, your colour is certainly a strong yellow, it does not look particularly orange so I will say it is a level 9.
Now I don't know about you but I think that's pretty good!!
Congrats!

I think you will be happy of the result if you use a level 8 or 9 semi permanent colour with, you guessed it, blue violet to violet tones (or ash).

Purple shampoo will help if your colour is light enough, level 9 - 10.
It may help somewhat but mostly for the palest tones, it is usually used for blonde upkeep and not complete toning.

Unfortunately colours can vary and some colour companies definition of Ash can range from Green to Violet as these are all cool colours.

If you'd like any more help I'm happy to chat to anybody about this.

Most of all, good luck, most colour situations can always be solved! :D

missdelarocha
January 10th, 2012, 12:09 AM
I used Wella T18 White Lady. You can get it at Sally's. If your hair is resilient to damage use a 30 toner instead of ten. You will get Gwen Stefani Blonde. As for my bleach I always used Clairol Kalidacolors Blue, with way too strong of developer, and that would get it light enough by itself, the toner was for actual snow colored hair. I'm sorry about your problem. :( hope it gets better.
Also if you don't want further damage, try Clairol Shimmer Lights, it will tone down the orange. I promise.

Just so the OP knows, 30 vol would be further lightening your hair, meaning more damage, 10 vol or even lower is ideal as this is depositing colour only, it's not strong enough for lift and that's what you generally use with a toner.

Aimskylove
January 10th, 2012, 12:37 AM
I agree the color does not look bad and for bleaching your hair looks healthy! I'd say condition and treat it and then in a week or two try again with toner or dye. But give it time to rest.

jojo
January 10th, 2012, 12:46 AM
Yes temps seem to be a good idea..hopefully not expensive..this mess already cost me a lot..and thanks its situations like this Im glad I have LHC and you ladies to turn to :)

theres always a solution, maybe honey will get rid of the peachy colour?? you could send Ktani a message, shes the honey queen but i do think an ash colour not a golden blonde as this will make it more warm, it needs a cool colour to neutralise the peach, ive had worse and mine looked like straw and it worked for mine, yours in in good condition. Keep us posted what you do and dont get upset, its fixable ok xx

Alex Lou
January 10th, 2012, 01:06 AM
Aww. I really don't think this was your fault. Plenty of people bleach at home and since your natural color was a light color already, I'd think that you would have gotten it lighter. I've bleached my own hair at home which is darker than yours and got it white-blond, but when I paid someone to do it and sat forever with the bleach in at the salon they couldn't get it as right.

Don't make any drastic changes in the next week and don't use any permanent dye. You may feel differently once you get over the emotional shock. You can use temporary dye, but go easy on it. Temporary dye takes better and lasts longer in bleached hair.

theres always a solution, maybe honey will get rid of the peachy colour?? you could send Ktani a message, shes the honey queen I second this opinion. Ask Ktani about honey.

PriscillaCherel
January 10th, 2012, 02:29 AM
If you still want a platinum blonde,you should get a package blonde (number 11) en put it on some strikes on your hair (it isn't a real hard bleach you used before) but you can use it to make it a bit cooler then you have now. If you do this, it will be more platinum and less yellow/orange.

But first try the silver shampoo(purple shampoo etc..) It should be working a bit too:)

misspurdy06
January 10th, 2012, 03:30 AM
What you need is another toner. I have done this many times. Get another toner preferably an ash tone. My fav is Color Charm's Nordic blonde. No worries your hair won't turn out that exact color but it will snuff out that yellow. Your hair will be much closer to the platinum you wanted.

Get the Color Charm's Nordic blonde and a 20 volume developer and a deep conditioning pack for after.

Please trust me.

ktani
January 10th, 2012, 03:39 AM
I cannot see anyone here being negative about what happened and I am so sorry that you are in this position.

Your original colour is beautiful. You may at the end of this enjoy the new colour you end up with.

You are getting some great advice and there is a solution to the problem.

Your hair does not appear to be damaged so that you will have to sacrifice length, so it is now a question of choosing the right toner to adjust the colour to one you can live with peacefully.

Good luck!

Vapunzel91
January 10th, 2012, 03:48 AM
My experience with toner is it evens out the bleach fairly well, but only through some darkening or goldening process. If you're willing you can continue to do multiple bleach sessions at home, but no less than a week in between and no more than two hours on the hair at a time.

I'm a dark blond and I usually get the color you currently have after one bleach. I also use L'Oreal Super Blond from Fred Meyers, Wal-Mart, or a local drug store. You can try one box at a time, but you may need two since your hair is longer than mine. Also, by the picture you look like a level 8 or 9 so you'd need one or two more sessions with bleach.

I hope this helps if you decide to try platinum blond. If you check under my profile I have images of my lightened hair that went from a level 7 to a 9.5.

Charybdis
January 10th, 2012, 04:11 AM
Oh, honey, I'm sorry it didn't work out the way you wanted. I think the people who are talking about using a purple-hued/ash toner for corrective color are on the right track. If it were me, I would save up and get it done professionally, but you can probably find the info you need online. It *is* fixable. I do agree with you that the result you have right now doesn't work with your skin tone. I had an analogous experience many years ago when I tried bleaching my short, dark brown hair and turned it orange. :P But I feel worse for you, because you've put so much time into growing your hair already! Hugs, and hope you can get it to a color you're happy with, without having to spend a ton of cash.

twopoints
January 10th, 2012, 04:39 AM
I would suggest the toner. I read about a blogger (xiaxue.sg) who dyed her naturally black, waist length+ hair platinum blond (although it's pink now) and she wrote that toners helped getting rid of the yellow.

Avital88
January 10th, 2012, 05:08 AM
my friend ended up with this color once aswell, but that was in summer and within a week it was platinum by the sun..
I seriously think the color isnt as bad, it looks kinda cool, but i can understand if you were going for Gwen Stefani Whiteblond this wasnt what you wanted..
I have no further suggestions but putting a honeyblonde shade color over it, i have been in this boat many times before and i know how horrible it is when it doesnt end up the way you wanted,so thats what i used to do when i was a blonde..

Good luck and take care!!

SwordWomanRiona
January 10th, 2012, 05:15 AM
Well, I actually think that golden tone is very nice (It's very close to how I imagine Glorfindel's hair, you know ;))...but I'm sorry that you didn't get what you wanted :(

If you really wanted to stop having this colour, and didn't mind going red or dark, I'd suggest henna or henna+indigo, but I'm not very knowledgeable about how to tone down golden shades...

Maybe honey lightenings? Or maybe the colour'll fade a bit on its own after a couple of weeks?

Alacris~
January 10th, 2012, 05:26 AM
I think you are on the right track! Going white blonde isn't something a lot of people can do in one day. I usually takes a while! My white blonde streak was the same color as your hair is now. And with toning and leaving purple shampoo in for quite some time, it became white blonde. Just don't give up yet! :D

joflakes
January 10th, 2012, 05:28 AM
I actually really like the colour, too. It is just annoying that it isn't what you wanted. I don't really have anything else to add to what has already been said though!

Long_hair_bear
January 10th, 2012, 08:11 AM
Ok, so first off if you have rude comments, hidesight, or I-told-you-so's please don't comment because I've had my fill of then already..

to anyone that hasn't read my other posts, I wanted to bleach/dye my hair Gwen Stefani blonde... I bought 3 boxes of platinum blonde hair dye from Target (shoulda known better), turned my hair Orange...went to Sallys, got a toner/bleach kit, and it is now cartoon character yellow blonde...I'm so depressed I wanted the platinum not this and now that I have it I miss my natural hair so much...I don't know what I was thinking...my natural color was beautiful (not to toot my own horn lol) I regret it 100% :( I would do anything to take it back because I can't afford to go to a salon to fix it (that's why I tried to do it myself in the first place and in the end I ended up spending about 50$ which Idk bout everyone else but that's SOOO much to me) so that makes me even more mad that I wasted so much money and I hate it...tonight I picked up Shimmer Lights purple shampoo by the suggestion of the Sally girl to try to tone it down...I would give anything to get my natural color back, :( I know it's my own fault...my hair was so healthy, (it still is pretty much, its pretty resilient against damange) and I miss my color...I feel so dumb.

Sorry for all the whining but I needed a vent so bad. :'(

I WANT MY OLD HAIR BACK UGH!

below is a picture of the horrible results in case someone has a suggestion [suggestions welcome]

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=8435&pictureid=123277

Been here, done this. I only just yesterday go it fixed. Actually, mine was worse because it was like 3 different colors, blonde, fuscia, and my natural brown growing out. I had my hairstylist dye it back my original color and now it's fine. I agree with some writers on here: save money and go to a salon to dye your hair back to its natural color. :)

LaurelSpring
January 10th, 2012, 08:21 AM
When I did this I called the hotline number on the box. Because the hair is so porous I had to put a color (without developer) on it first to give the color something to stick to and then color it over that. It worked reasonable well as far as I can remember.

spidermom
January 10th, 2012, 08:24 AM
I know it's not what you wanted, but I think it's kind of pretty. I wouldn't clarify right away after all that chemical treatment. I would do a few deep treatments, both protein and moisture, emphasis on the moisture. I hope you're able to tone it to something you like better. Good luck!

Maverick494
January 10th, 2012, 08:34 AM
I've been a bottle blonde for years before going natural again. I've also had the brassy colour (though this doesn't look as horrible as my hair did). I suggest that now you're here you might as well stick around and see what you can make from the color.

Here take a look at THIS (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7s5hRRuvC4). The girl has the same yellow colour (at 2:25) when she first bleached her hair,
but she quickly remedied it in the video

I think you're very close to where you want to be, so why not stick around to see if you can get it right?

RitaPG
January 10th, 2012, 09:10 AM
I bought 3 boxes of platinum blonde hair dye from Target (shoulda known better), turned my hair Orange...went to Sallys, got a toner/bleach kit, and it is now cartoon character yellow blonde...
I've never bleached, but this is normal. Bleaching all hair white in one sitting can actually be more damaging. I've read a lot of posts of people that gradually bleach, and it always looks orangey or yellow at first. The purple shampoo will also probably be a major help.
For what it's worth, I love the color. I know it looks very yellow but I love it, it's Golden! :D

alwayssmiling
January 10th, 2012, 09:30 AM
I cannot give you any technical advice but I really, really like the colour! Have just asked my teenage daughter who doesn't mince her words which were "ooh thats pretty".
Years ago I bleached my hair and regretted it immediately, I think it was just a big shock. I enjoyed experimenting with different toners until i got it just right and stayed blonde for a couple of years. Only stopped because of the breakage. HTH

holomi
January 10th, 2012, 09:39 AM
My advice would be to not go back to your natural color... you will not get your exact natural color again until it grows out. Also, the bleaching would have been for nothing. I do believe that a good salon could get you to the platinum blonde you desire without a bunch of damage, and at a decent price. I would say wait, baby your hair, and go to a professional when you can afford it. Please don't try anything else, because it could get worse. Right now it doesn't look bad at all, you're almost to platinum. It's not the desired end result, but it could be much, much worse. You're about one step away from the goal you wanted.

UP Lisa
January 10th, 2012, 09:51 AM
So sorry things didn't turn out the way you wanted. The important thing is the health of your hair, so I would mostly suggest deep treatments, as others have suggested.

The main problem I see with the color is that it does not go with your skin tone. It is a very warm Golden Blond, and you have cool coloring. Or at least it looks that way on my monitors. It is entirely up to you how you want to deal with the current color, but I sure wouldn't suggest any more bleaching. you are just lucky the damage isn't worse.

the.fee.fairy
January 10th, 2012, 10:22 AM
Aww. It looks REALLY nice on you!

It's a really nice colour. I go with the people on here saying use a toner and purple shampoo.

My mother and sister were let loose on my hair about 8 years ago and managed to turn it candyfloss colour instead of the different colour streaks i wanted, so i know your pain!

At least with this colour, you can experiment with some wild coloured streaks :D

Gingerbear
January 10th, 2012, 10:39 AM
All is not lost! :)

For your current situation, it would be too damaging to your hair to rebleach it all over to lighten up that final stage. My suggestion would be to wait 1-2 weeks to give your hair a break, then try using a "high lift color" on it, rather than bleach. The high lift color will lighten it, but it is not as damaging as straight bleach. It can only lift hair about 2 levels, which is probably all you need to get it past that yellow stage. My hairdresser uses high lift color on the same day as my bleach/foil highlights to lighten my base color (the non-foiled hairs). She calls it a "base break". She does it all over my head once the foils are rinsed and the hair is wet in the bowl, so I think it would be relatively safe for you to do it all over. I also do it on my roots once a month at home to lighten them up between salon visits because it is less damaging. You would need to make sure the high lift color is an ash tone--I use Redken Double Fusion blondes in Ab (Ash/blue) (order on Amazon) mixed roughly 1:1 with 30 volume developer. I apply it to wet hair, wait about 10 minutes (very short contact) and shower. Every once in a while the ash pigment will make the hair have a subtle greenish-blue hue after the first shampoo, but don't get freaked out because this will come out on your next washing. (Or you can just shampoo twice that first shower). The high lift color, plus a violet/purple shampoo once a week should get you light without yellow. My other tip would be to protein load your hair for a few days before lightening as the bleached hair will be protein deficient and it helps to strengthen it up beforehand. You can also apply coconut oil or Argan oil beforehand to help protect it during the actual processing.

If you decide to do something like this again in the future, keep an eye on the hair while it is processing. It will gradually go from light brown to orange to yellow to white as the red pigments are taken out. I think you may have rinsed yours out a little too early when it was still in the yellow stage. If the bleach gets "dried out" it will stop processing, so sometimes if it is not progressing you have to either add a little more fresh bleach or use heat for a few minutes to speed up the process (although this is more damaging).

KahRistAhn
January 10th, 2012, 10:50 AM
I don't have any advice to add that hasn't already been said, but I wanted to say that it doesn't look so bad! You have very nice hair. :)

Amber_Maiden
January 10th, 2012, 11:00 AM
That sucks. Been there. :(

Darkhorse1
January 10th, 2012, 12:14 PM
I'm so in awe of people who color their own hair. I'm not confident enough--that video that someone linked here was incredible to watch---so, my advice would be to see a professional. That way, you can correct this the safest way for your hair, and then know how to do it yourself next time :)

xoxophelia
January 10th, 2012, 12:26 PM
There have been plenty of good solutions offered already so I won't chime in with another one. Just don't fret too much ^^.. sometimes it takes stronger bleach and some extra handy work. If you can't afford a salon visit to fix the color I would suggest looking for tutorials on youtube. I've seen a few for white blonde that seemed to work well.

Definitely leave it alone for awhile though so your hair can rest. The color may not be as you wanted it and somewhat unnatural, but it really isn't as bad as you may feel it is.

Take care :)

GoldberryHair
January 10th, 2012, 04:28 PM
Well, I actually think that golden tone is very nice (It's very close to how I imagine Glorfindel's hair, you know ;))...but I'm sorry that you didn't get what you wanted :(

If you really wanted to stop having this colour, and didn't mind going red or dark, I'd suggest henna or henna+indigo, but I'm not very knowledgeable about how to tone down golden shades...

Maybe honey lightenings? Or maybe the colour'll fade a bit on its own after a couple of weeks?

Glorfindel! Now that's a compliment lol

GoldberryHair
January 10th, 2012, 04:31 PM
Thank you everyone for all of your advice! :) Although I stil really miss my old hair (you don't know what you got till it's gone!) this is starting to grow on me , *a little*...I don't think I'm gonna keep trying for the Gwen Stefani blonde anymore...even if I eventually get it the upkeep will kill me...I'm glad I experimented and got it out of the way but I learned my lesson...next time listen to my dad and go to the salon! LOL

I got the Shimmer Lights purple shampoo, but I have a question...the girl at Sally's said if I use it too much it'll actually turn my hair purple?! Is this true?

Carissamarie08
January 10th, 2012, 04:41 PM
If you leave shimmer lights in to long it will turn your hair purple or silverish..i use shimmer lights all the time

GoldberryHair
January 10th, 2012, 04:42 PM
If you leave shimmer lights in to long it will turn your hair purple or silverish..i use shimmer lights all the time

Ooh how long is too long!? I don't wanna mess my hair up anymore?!

Carissamarie08
January 10th, 2012, 04:43 PM
I suggest leaving it in for ONLY 5 minutes. In all honestly though the shimmer lights will not get all of the brassiness out since there is still quite a bit. I have been in your position before many times, and I suggest going to Sally's and picking up "Wella-White Lady" toner with 10 volume developer, and that will do the trick and get you where you want. Ive used this toner many times on that color of hair :)

GoldberryHair
January 10th, 2012, 04:45 PM
I suggest leaving it in for ONLY 5 minutes. In all honestly though the shimmer lights will not get all of the brassiness out since there is still quite a bit. I have been in your position before many times, and I suggest going to Sally's and picking up "Wella-White Lady" toner with 10 volume developer, and that will do the trick and get you where you want. Ive used this toner many times on that color of hair :)

Thanks, I think I'm done trying to get the Platinum...too much work...maybe one day when I get more money and my hair is back to "normal" Ill actually go to a salon and get it done.

Like my dad says, worthwhile investment haha

Carissamarie08
January 10th, 2012, 04:48 PM
ok, your only about one step away to getting that color though. There are several videos on youtube about the Wella White Lady toner if you want to check them out. Good Luck!

GoldberryHair
January 10th, 2012, 04:48 PM
ok, your only about one step away to getting that color though. There are several videos on youtube about the Wella White Lady toner if you want to check them out. Good Luck!

Thanks! :)

Clytemnestra
January 10th, 2012, 05:13 PM
If you ever wanted to try platinum again perhaps think about using the Manic Panic Virgin Snow, when I was checking out the website for directions it said to get the platinum white you had to bleach it down to that yellow color that you seem to have, then apply the virgin snow for the white color. But you're right it is a lot of work, and I chickened out on bleaching it all the way.

I've gone from very, very light blonde (using colorsilk no ammonia haircolor) to dark blonde with Ion demi-permanent colors from Sally's. Actually the first time I did it my hair went to medium brown and this was a medium blonde one I used so you have to be careful as it just deposits the color, and my hair was very porous as I imagine yours is right now. The nice thing is they wash out eventually, and I like to change up my hair color now and then, so that was cool. I always pre-condition with tons of coconut oil to lessen the damage, then I put more in afterwards. Good luck!

holothuroidea
January 10th, 2012, 05:54 PM
Curse you Gwen Stefani!!

Some years ago, I wasted a lot of good hair trying to get it to be white-blonde but my hair was just so persistently orange that it never worked.

My advice to you is let your hair rest, don't wash it too much and condition it deeply. Wait a couple of weeks and see how you feel. Then you have to decide what you're going to do so you can love your hair again. Your hair is so long that it's going to take a long, long time to get back to your natural hair color so whatever you decide you are going to be living with for a while.

If you want your natural hair color back I would choose something that washes out or will blend with your new growth because what you don't want to do is get into a cycle of dying/bleaching over and over again, that is what is truly damaging.

That having been said, the color does look cartoony on you because your skin and eye coloring don't match it. HOWEVER, I think it looks awesome! Super-hero awesome. You could also take this opportunity to try on some rainbow colors (Manic Panic comes to mind), or at least that's what I would do.

Good luck!

GoldberryHair
January 10th, 2012, 05:56 PM
Curse you Gwen Stefani!!

Some years ago, I wasted a lot of good hair trying to get it to be white-blonde but my hair was just so persistently orange that it never worked.

My advice to you is let your hair rest, don't wash it too much and condition it deeply. Wait a couple of weeks and see how you feel. Then you have to decide what you're going to do so you can love your hair again. Your hair is so long that it's going to take a long, long time to get back to your natural hair color so whatever you decide you are going to be living with for a while.

If you want your natural hair color back I would choose something that washes out or will blend with your new growth because what you don't want to do is get into a cycle of dying/bleaching over and over again, that is what is truly damaging.

That having been said, the color does look cartoony on you because your skin and eye coloring don't match it. HOWEVER, I think it looks awesome! Super-hero awesome. You could also take this opportunity to try on some rainbow colors (Manic Panic comes to mind), or at least that's what I would do.

Good luck!

I've already gotten some cartoon comments at work"

Blondie (from Dagwood)
Sailor Moon
Princess Zelda (my friend, who BEGGED me to do her hairstyle) lol

holothuroidea
January 10th, 2012, 06:09 PM
I've already gotten some cartoon comments at work"

Blondie (from Dagwood)
Sailor Moon
Princess Zelda (my friend, who BEGGED me to do her hairstyle) lol

Ahh! :laugh:

You know what I would do? (Temp) dye it yellow. Make it look like you did it on purpose. http://www.haircolorsideas.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/yellow-hair-color.jpg

Or, alternatively, put strategic red/orange streaks in it or if you're feeling really crazy, green or pink.
http://www.haircolorsideas.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/ugg-off-blonde-orange-yellow-hair.jpg

If you really own it, people won't say crap to you. And if they do, you wont care.

(These strategies got me through a lot of crazy bad bleach jobs).

NymphSpirit
January 10th, 2012, 06:16 PM
You can get it platinum from that shade, just get white toner. Manic panic and directions have toners and they're not expensive as far as I know... The purple shampoo will help, but it wont be enough to remove all the yellow undertones.

EDIT: I had platinum hair for two years and my hair without toner was pretty much the same colour yours is now. So it IS light enough.

UltraBella
January 10th, 2012, 06:46 PM
I know there is a whole lot of conflicting advice on this thread and it can get confusing. You don't know who is knowledgeable in this area and who is not, and you don't want to do anything that will make you regret it more. You have said several times that you wish you had your natural color back and, as the owner of two salons, I can honestly say that is an obtainable goal. You CAN tone your hair back to -or so close to that no one will notice- your natural color. Without it being a brassy mess later. It is fully possible. You can also use a Demi-color to get very close to your natural color as well. These are both good options and an experienced stylist will be able to accomplish this for you. I would make a color consult appointment with 2 or 3 stylists in your area and ask what they would do to correct your color. Or you can just come see me, I will hook you up ;)

arcane
January 10th, 2012, 06:49 PM
So I totally did not read this whole thread, but here is my opinion and what I would do (I tried going platinum once, but gave up because I just couldn't keep damaging it the amount that it needed to get that light and stay that light. I am however now going for a near white so I can dye it pastel pink):

Your hair is NOT light enough to tone to platinum. You can however use a toner to keep the brassy tones out of your hair, which you will need to do anyways if you went platinum. Also just shampooing with a purple shampoo can help tone it over time. It needs to be the yellow of the inside of a banana to reach the colour you want. Unfortunatly that means bleach.

As what to do right now, I'd say wait a month (which is what is generally reconmended whenever you use a box dye because no matter the colour they lift your natural colour to despoit their colour) to avoid damaging it. In that time just pamper your hair. After a month you could either try bleach bathing it to get it lighter (and you can do that once a week) or going darker.

Try not to beat yourself up to much, everyone who dyes their hair makes mistakes from time to time. I know I've had some doozies. Just don't rush into changing the colour right away or you may end up with some very angry hair.

GoldberryHair
January 10th, 2012, 07:00 PM
I know there is a whole lot of conflicting advice on this thread and it can get confusing. You don't know who is knowledgeable in this area and who is not, and you don't want to do anything that will make you regret it more. You have said several times that you wish you had your natural color back and, as the owner of two salons, I can honestly say that is an obtainable goal. You CAN tone your hair back to -or so close to that no one will notice- your natural color. Without it being a brassy mess later. It is fully possible. You can also use a Demi-color to get very close to your natural color as well. These are both good options and an experienced stylist will be able to accomplish this for you. I would make a color consult appointment with 2 or 3 stylists in your area and ask what they would do to correct your color. Or you can just come see me, I will hook you up ;)

Yeah I'm going to call my aunts stylist, my friends, and my old one and see what they all say/charge and go from there eventually...

aha I'd love for you to hook me up, your hair is gorgeous so I'd trust you ;)

Achtland
January 10th, 2012, 07:28 PM

Strongly Agree :)

Springlets
January 11th, 2012, 02:06 AM
I'm not an expert, but I've tried to study a lot on this subject. This (http://www.hairfad.com/hair-color-chart.html) website has a lot of helpful information about hair coloring.

It also provides a good equation for how hair coloring actually works (It's not as simple as just picking out the color you want from the picture on the box).

Color You Should Use = (Desired Level - Present Virgin Color Level) + Desired Level

The example they give is: "You want to color to Dark Blonde (Level 6) and your present virgin hair color is Dark Brown (Level 2). Then 6-2 comes to 4… and 4+6=10.

So, Level 10 is the color you may consider to work with."

Of course, as you can see from this chart (http://www.hairfad.com/images/hair-color-levels.png) going from a level 2 to a level 6 the end result would probably be entirely orange so they would still need to tone it to a more natural looking shade. This is pretty much the case for anyone who didn't lighten to a level 10 or above since their underlying pigments are yellow, gold, orange, red, etc.

Looking at your album pictures, you seem to have naturally been a level 7-8 golden blonde. You wanted either a level 11 or 12 (consider this hair color chart (http://killerpics.blogspot.com/2007/08/today.html)). 12-8 comes to 4 and 4+12= 16, obviously there is no level 16 sold in the store. That means you would have had to use 40 vol bleach (lifts hair 3-4 levels). Most store hair colors only lift 1-2 levels (using 20 vol bleach). And it looks like your hair has lightened about that much.

I say go either way; your natural hair color is very beautiful but then again since you've already lightened it, why not go for what you really wanted? :shrug: It's up to you and whatever you choose will be great! :)

PorkChop
January 11th, 2012, 02:44 AM
The colour isnt bad at all, just looks a bit more like a golden blonde not platinum

blondie9912
January 11th, 2012, 02:29 PM
Totally not trying to hijack this thread, just thought the OP might want to know :p

You mentioned you were inspired by Gwen Stefani's hair...did you know she get's her roots retouched every 10 days?

spidermom
January 11th, 2012, 02:43 PM
If I were you, I'd try the Manic Panic white. I found Manic Panic to be wonderfully conditioning.

Hmmmmmmmm; I might try white one of these days.

HairFaerie
January 11th, 2012, 03:12 PM
I used Wella T18 White Lady. You can get it at Sally's.

YES! THIS! When I was going for the platinum look, I ended up with orange/brassy hair. I used this and it gave me the platinum color I wanted!

Don't believe the person at Sally's that said a toner won't help. That's bull$#%@. The toner mentioned above works wonderfully!

They also sell little packets of purple stuff to add to the toner to even further minimize orange/brassy colors.

You can achieve the color you want, don't worry.

Gingerbear
January 11th, 2012, 04:29 PM
Totally not trying to hijack this thread, just thought the OP might want to know

You mentioned you were inspired by Gwen Stefani's hair...did you know she get's her roots retouched every 10 days?

I read this somewhere too. I think they said her stylist uses a Q-tip to apply the bleach just to the miniscule amount of root without getting it on her already bleached hair since they do it so often....I would go crazy!!

ilovejimmy
January 11th, 2012, 05:04 PM
well i think its pretty no joke! it looks good on you and if you put a little make up like some mascara and lip gloss you will look fabulous! leave your hair alone for a little while.....let it grow some and then put money aside and do low lights so you can grow it out with out having to bleach it go to a salon once you get a good amount of regrowth and the stylist can add some lowlights to even it out and you can grow your natural color out thats what i did and now i have my natural color....good luck chica!

mzBANGBANG
January 11th, 2012, 05:18 PM
I have so been through this.

I went from dyed black hair to bleach blonde... and it was layer upon layer of black dye since I was growing my hair out from a buzz cut.

I ended up rocking the strawberry blonde look for awhile before (like many others have suggested) decided to put an ash blond in there. Totally cools it down. Where I messed up was after that, when I decided I would do highlights all over my head with a box of highlighting bleach.... totally fried my ends. And since that haircut, this is what I've been growing out, after I finally decided to go back to my natural hair color (because as you said it gets expensive!).

Just keep in mind, like growing your hair it is a process! Enjoy the new look for awhile, play with it, have fun. After it's relaxed for a bit, time to experiment again!

GoldberryHair
January 11th, 2012, 08:51 PM
This manic panic white sounds interesting...I saw it at Sallys but after what happen last time I'm afraid to try it...

Alex Lou
January 12th, 2012, 03:59 PM
This manic panic white sounds interesting...I saw it at Sallys but after what happen last time I'm afraid to try it...No need to be afraid. Manic Panic is temporary. :)

spidermom
January 12th, 2012, 04:55 PM
Not only is Manic Panic temporary, but it makes your hair feel really good. I think there are conditioners in there.

GoldberryHair
January 12th, 2012, 09:11 PM
No need to be afraid. Manic Panic is temporary. :)

Not only is Manic Panic temporary, but it makes your hair feel really good. I think there are conditioners in there.

Ooooh I might have to try it then.... how long does it last do you know?

GoldberryHair
January 12th, 2012, 09:14 PM
No need to be afraid. Manic Panic is temporary. :)

Oooh that'd be nice then, how long does it last do you know??

Long_hair_bear
January 12th, 2012, 09:15 PM
Ooooh I might have to try it then.... how long does it last do you know?

I don't know about white, but ultra violet lasted about 3 to 4 weeks before it started to fade.

AnqeIicDemise
January 12th, 2012, 09:20 PM
Dude.. I'd totally slap some Manic Panic or Special Effects on it. I avoid any other brands as they're not very hair friendly, though.

Oh man.. I can see you rocking a vibrant green and I'm jealous. :D

GoldberryHair
January 12th, 2012, 09:23 PM
I've actually been considering doing some colored streaks throughout it a little, like pink, purple, blue, and since manice panic washes out eventually that'd be perfect!

AnqeIicDemise
January 12th, 2012, 09:38 PM
I've actually been considering doing some colored streaks throughout it a little, like pink, purple, blue, and since manice panic washes out eventually that'd be perfect!

See, there's always a silver lining. ^-^

And at least it came out even. My hair's dark auburn-brown color. Since I haven't been in the sun (as it doesn't seem to exist here) its darkened to a really dark brown, almost black. When I tried dying my hair blue the first time, it was such an 'Epic Fail' as people say, I wanted to die.

Green in spots. Orange in others. Blonde in yet more. Virgin spots where I missed.

Yup. I leave it to the professionals now.

GoldberryHair
January 12th, 2012, 09:42 PM
See, there's always a silver lining. ^-^

And at least it came out even. My hair's dark auburn-brown color. Since I haven't been in the sun (as it doesn't seem to exist here) its darkened to a really dark brown, almost black. When I tried dying my hair blue the first time, it was such an 'Epic Fail' as people say, I wanted to die.

Green in spots. Orange in others. Blonde in yet more. Virgin spots where I missed.

Yup. I leave it to the professionals now.

Professionals are so expensive. :( I've learned my lesson, and I'm gonna get my nat. color back, but in the meantime I'm gonna have fun with it while it's here lol

AnqeIicDemise
January 12th, 2012, 09:45 PM
Professionals are so expensive. :( I've learned my lesson, and I'm gonna get my nat. color back, but in the meantime I'm gonna have fun with it while it's here lol

Pish. I used to think the same thing and now I'm working at a 'high end' salon and I have come to realize the prices are not as crazy expensive as I thought. It really depends where you're going and who is doing it. There are some salons that charge more on thickness and length. The one I work at doesn't... we just have to know if you have really long, curly or thick hair so the artist has enough time to do the service. Personally, this makes me want to tip more.

So before you have it corrected, shop around. Decent places give complimentary consultations. Stop by, have it looked at, let them quote you a price and go to the next salon.

GoldberryHair
January 12th, 2012, 09:46 PM
Pish. I used to think the same thing and now I'm working at a 'high end' salon and I have come to realize the prices are not as crazy expensive as I thought. It really depends where you're going and who is doing it. There are some salons that charge more on thickness and length. The one I work at doesn't... we just have to know if you have really long, curly or thick hair so the artist has enough time to do the service. Personally, this makes me want to tip more.

So before you have it corrected, shop around. Decent places give complimentary consultations. Stop by, have it looked at, let them quote you a price and go to the next salon.

Yeah, I told my best friend and my aunt next time they go to their salons to ask how much it'd be for mine, just outta curiousity.

AnimaSola3o4
January 12th, 2012, 09:49 PM
I actually don't think it's as terrible as you might be thinking. It needs a little bit of something, not sure what that something is cuz I'm not a stylist lol. But I'm hoping that somewhere along the way, someone can guide you in the right direction. I have not read the whole thread yet mind you.

Luck!!

P.S., if nothing else, there's always henna in some shade! (also don't know about that lol)

GabrielleRose
January 12th, 2012, 10:30 PM
I actually think it looks quite nice on you. Your natural hair color is just as lovely. I hope you find something that will make you love your color again.

growingpains
January 13th, 2012, 12:07 AM

She's wrong!! As far as I am aware toner is deposit only. It doesn't color but tones the shade. Your hair is a yellow tone, so to get it more neutral toned you can get an ashy toner. Do some research into it but I am pretty sure this is correct.

I would recommend either: 1) leaving it for now and dying once the roots come in; 2) toning it a more ashy blond color; or 3) dying it with a semi-permanent darker blond (in an ashy shade again as your hair is really pulling the yellow tones right now and assuming you don't like it you need something cool toned to counteract that).

Lucky you don't have lots of damage! That means you can dye back to a more natural color and, if successful, can pretend this didn't happen.

error
January 13th, 2012, 01:13 AM
Oh I have a suggestion! http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/member.php?u=22627 <---this gorgeous lovely member had bleached her hair that tone of blonde before making her signature royal locks that were very admirable. Depending on your lifestyle and how acceptable a new funky hair color would be perhaps you can try out something unique and gorgeous . Manic panic dyes are hair friendly from what I have heard :> good luck !

ArienEllariel
January 13th, 2012, 01:26 AM
I have no advice but I sympathize. I used a ton of sun-in on my natural hair when it was still more blondish as a teen. I had brassy brassy brassy hair. It was bad. *pat pat*

GoldberryHair
January 13th, 2012, 05:50 AM
Thank you to everyone who contributed and/or gave me support during this "crisis" lol you're suggestions were very good and I'll be hopefully working on them once my hair has had time to rest. Meanwhile, I will take others and try to play and have fun with it while it's like this since it's not going anywhere fast lol :)

error
January 13th, 2012, 04:01 PM
Break out your make up bag do some wild make up you would not be able to do otherwise and have an awesome weekend :>

spidermom
February 2nd, 2012, 03:03 PM
Did you correct the color?
Color me curious!

GoldberryHair
February 2nd, 2012, 09:01 PM
Did you correct the color?
Color me curious!

lol I've got it pretty toned down to wear it looks a lot more "normal" and not so much cartoon. Since my hair grows fast after about another month I'm gonna dye it back to my natural color..which is when I'm gonna do a thread asking any brands (I'm going to Sallys) I should look at...

so far I was considering Ion brand in "medium golden blonde"

Thanks for asking :)

leslissocool
February 2nd, 2012, 09:20 PM
I am so sorry :blossom:

However I am a HUGE sailor moon fan, PLEASE dress up as her your hair it's exactly her color!!! :cheese:

GoldberryHair
February 2nd, 2012, 09:22 PM
I am so sorry :blossom:

However I am a HUGE sailor moon fan, PLEASE dress up as her your hair it's exactly her color!!! :cheese:

Haha, my friend asked me that too...maybe I'll see what I can do and play around with it lol

leslissocool
February 3rd, 2012, 12:53 AM
Do it, it would be totally epic! And take pictures, TONS!!! :cheer:

BranwenWolf
February 3rd, 2012, 01:05 AM
lol I've got it pretty toned down to wear it looks a lot more "normal" and not so much cartoon. Since my hair grows fast after about another month I'm gonna dye it back to my natural color..which is when I'm gonna do a thread asking any brands (I'm going to Sallys) I should look at...

so far I was considering Ion brand in "medium golden blonde"

Thanks for asking :)

I didn't bleach but I tried to get henndigo out (ha!) and I know the feeling of "OMG WHAT DID I DO TO MY PRETTY HAIR!"

I used the medium golden blonde from Garnier Nutrisse (I know you didn't ask for this but just throwing it out) to cover some of the mess and it did quite well and didn't seem to cause damage. You appear to have sturdy hair like I do.
I actually have a box of that color sitting right here that will not be used. I bought it in case my highlighting experiment went awry... so far so good.

ibleedlipstick
February 3rd, 2012, 01:44 AM
I'm in awe of how healthy your hair still looks! I mean, WOW.

PorkChop
February 3rd, 2012, 02:34 AM
Just had another look again at the picture in the OP. And I have to admit I actually do really like it, I wouldn't on everyone, but I think you pull it off and it actually looked quite cool

Rebeccalaurenxx
February 3rd, 2012, 04:19 AM
Wella in "white lady" should actually get alllllll the yelllow, brassy, orange tones out.
Its an ashy/blue toner so in counteracts with the yellow and cancels it out.
I went from a bright yellow, to white with it.
The girls that work at sallys dont know anything. Lol. Trust me. I love sallys but they really need to hire girls that know what they are talking about. Lol.

GoldberryHair
February 3rd, 2012, 07:14 AM
Do it, it would be totally epic! And take pictures, TONS!!! :cheer:

Yes lol and I'll upload them if I do...I can probably do the hair, the costume, not too sure about lol