PDA

View Full Version : bedtime?

Lifelong
January 9th, 2012, 08:08 PM
What's the best thing to do with my hair for bed to avoid breakage? It seems that in the past couple of years that my hair is really breaking and changing. I have always worn a braid to bed and when I get up in the morning, I've got a mess. In fact, I can't keep my hair in a braid for very long before it's messy with ends sticking out everywhere.
Quick facts: My hair is at hip length. I'm 49. I stopped using shampoos with sulfates in them a couple months ago.

Thanks for any tips!

Amber_Maiden
January 9th, 2012, 08:11 PM
I put mine in a low ponytail, leave it down or put it in a top knot. I have satin pillowcases though.

Madora
January 9th, 2012, 08:24 PM
My sleep braid is a loosely braided bun on the top of my head.

I just bring all my hair in front of me, like a curtain, detangle it thoroughly with my wide tooth comb, then braid it loosely and coil it in a bun on the top of my head (kept in place with 8 3 inch crimped hairpins).

It is comfy and in the morning there is hardly any tangling to deal with. Believe me, after wearing two sleep braids to bed for more than 30 years, wearing this braided bun on top of my head made a great difference in having to deal with tangles the next morning.

PixxieStix
January 9th, 2012, 08:25 PM
What are you using to condition your hair? Have you been checking for splits? Is your hair usually dry, normal, etc? I'd definitely look into satin pillowcases, preferably made from silk. When my hair gets long enough, I plan on a loose french braid that I'll flip my head upside down for, and braid from the nape of the neck to the top of my head so the braid tail is on top of my head, that way it'll stay over my pillow and away from where I can roll on it (hopefully.)

shikara
January 9th, 2012, 08:30 PM
My hair is not so fond of oils, so what I do is start a braid, going down a few inches, bring the length close together and get it kind of wet - or shall i say, very damp. Then I put it in a large roller. That length is deliciously moisturized the next morning. You could braid, then spray lots of water on it too. I used to take damp hair, wrap it it circles, and put it in a soft cotton scarf for night allowing my hair time to soak it up. Hope you find something that works!

http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb328/lmarie29/th_44053aa6.jpg (http://s1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb328/lmarie29/?action=view&current=44053aa6.jpg)

Fairlight63
January 9th, 2012, 08:42 PM
I dampen my hair with water then put a little olive oil on it, braid it, or put it in a low pony tail rolled up then put on a silk sleep cap. The next morning my hair is all moisturized & not in a tangled mess.

KwaveT
January 9th, 2012, 09:34 PM
Funny thing about this topic is right after this one was posted somebody else brought other topic on exact same subject back to the top. Here's the near 1000 post thread:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=5171

jojo
January 9th, 2012, 09:40 PM
I put mine in a loose braid and then lightly go down the braid with some mustard oil (you could use any) and I always use a silk pillow case.

jacqueline101
January 9th, 2012, 10:09 PM
I'd try a low pony tail.

OakTreeGirl
January 9th, 2012, 10:31 PM
I put mine into a braid and tie with a soft scrunchie. Sadly I don't have a silk pillowcase, but I will look into getting one.

Gypsygirl
January 10th, 2012, 01:11 AM
I love braid waves so I tend to braid it when it is wet the night before and then sleep on it. I find that if I do about six braids for my whole head, I get the desired openness of the wave I like the best for my look. It works a lot better for me than a single braid, too, because I wake up with less of a mess.

Lifelong
January 10th, 2012, 10:59 PM
Well, thank you all for your posts.
There were some questions for me that I'll answer.
I've never tried a satin pillowcase. I'll look into that.
I'm using a variety of conditioners and lately am using a smoothing one with hemp oil in it. My hair seems to like that.
If I don't put my hair in a braid, I end up with total frizz. The braid seems to calm it down. I can't go to bed with wet hair or it doesn't dry at all. On the days I work, I get up at 4:45 am, so I have to get my hair in order quickly. It pretty much has to be ready to go the night before.
I actually don't move in m sleep, sometimes just turning my head or waking up to switch positions. Do cotton pillowcases really cause breakage?
I don't have problems with tangles except for after I wash my hair and I try to be careful brushing it out when it's wet. I can't comb it out at all, it just rips out. I use a metal brush with coated tips. Not sure if that's bad or not. It seems to get through my hair, but I do pull out quite a bit of hair from the brush when I'm done.
Thank you for the link to the other thread, as well. I'm reading through that, too.
I have never tried a sleep cap but I'll have to.

My hair used to be strong as anything. I don't know if it's just age or what. I'll keep reading for tips on this site.

Thanks!