PDA

View Full Version : Natural Shampoos That Won't Irritate Eczema

suzye
January 9th, 2012, 07:19 PM
Does anyone know of any?

bunnylake
January 9th, 2012, 08:09 PM
You might want to check the Shampoo Bar thread. Chagrin Valley shampoo bars are very mild and don't have any chemicals at all in them. I'm using them right now and i'm not sure how my hair likes them... but they are really gentle and completely natural, so they might be right for you.

suzye
January 9th, 2012, 09:29 PM
You might want to check the Shampoo Bar thread. Chagrin Valley shampoo bars are very mild and don't have any chemicals at all in them. I'm using them right now and i'm not sure how my hair likes them... but they are really gentle and completely natural, so they might be right for you.

That's a good idea! I'll check those out.

spike316
January 9th, 2012, 10:55 PM
If your hair doesn't like the shampoo bars, mine loves Toadstool Soaps' stuff. I have bleached, porous ends which seem to just absorb the oil and get gummy with shampoo bars. O_o But Toadstool has pretty much the same ingredients and I don't run into the same problems as I do with the 'poo bars.

jojo
January 10th, 2012, 12:51 AM
or you could put a barrier cream over it when you wash, something like a vasoline if its not in your hair. I am interested in this as I have psoriasis thats flared up on my scalp, its horrible trying to wash it like pouring acid on it :)

Ive tried Tgel horrible it does nothing for me, I am thinking of trying eggs mixed with honey and olive oil, the honey has anti inflamatory properties, the eggs have sulfer and the olive oil will help moisturise, does this sound like something youd want to try?

ETA= soap nuts helped mine last time, might be good for eczema too

Gypsygirl
January 10th, 2012, 12:55 AM
No eczema-related problems here, but I love this shampoo:

http://www.pureabba.com/products/specialty/gentle-shampoo

It is extremely gentle, no sulphates or other nasties... I even use it on my little daughter without any problems as well. It's definitely worth checking out. I think if I were you I'd use this and then use some kind of medicated cream or lotion rather than a medicated shampoo.

vatikagirl
January 10th, 2012, 02:23 AM
You can try out the organic soaps that are available in Indian grocery stores around US cities. Soaps like A.M.Amla No.1 soap, Kesh Nikhar soap, Chandrika Soap, Godrej Shikakai soap. I'm Attaching the links for you to read.
http://www.newlove-makeup.com/2010/12/m-amla-hair-soap-review.html
http://www.mehndiskinart.com/Kesh-Nikhar-Soap.htm
http://www.mouthshut.com/review/Shikakai-Soap-review-qunptspls

I used to use A.M.Amla soap when I was in high school, that time I possessed TB length hair which were almost without any problem and had thickness of 5.25 inches at pony. I dont know why I stopped using it, I guess facination for shampoos was to blame. Anyways if you decide to give it a try remember to oil your hair pre-poo with coconut oil. This way your hair shall come out healthier and shinier without drying effects.

Hope this was helpful.

Kizuna
January 10th, 2012, 03:00 AM
I used to have eczema all over my scalp a couple of years ago. I'm not sure what made it go away, but I like the Head & Shoulders schampoo. Now I'm doing Conditioner only and it's working very well. I hope you find something that suits and helps you!

Lapin
January 10th, 2012, 07:25 AM
I have a hybrid eczema/seborrhoeic dermatitis thing going on, mostly triggered by my horrendous allergies. The best thing I have found so far is Aveeno's baby shampoo & wash. I use it sparingly, only on my scalp, and because it's so alkaline I do an ACV rinse as needed (once every week or two). My hair has been pretty happy, and so has my scalp and face skin.

I am eyeballing the toadstool shampoo line though - the reviews are pretty tempting. The scent might inflame your eczema though... depends on how sensitive you are. I *am* very sensitive, so I have been hesitating.

On a related note, the best thing I have done for my overall eczema/seb derm is:
-install a water softener on my shower head. less than $20, and it made a huge difference.
-Eucerin's eczema therapy wash. It comes in a gold bottle, and has a number of oils that my skin drinks up. I actually tried it as a shampoo just to see what would happen, and my hair didn't seem to like it. The rest if me is :inlove: over it though - very recommended!

Good luck!

suzye
January 10th, 2012, 08:12 AM
If your hair doesn't like the shampoo bars, mine loves Toadstool Soaps' stuff. I have bleached, porous ends which seem to just absorb the oil and get gummy with shampoo bars. O_o But Toadstool has pretty much the same ingredients and I don't run into the same problems as I do with the 'poo bars.

Thank you! I'll look it up! I love finding new brands.

or you could put a barrier cream over it when you wash, something like a vasoline if its not in your hair. I am interested in this as I have psoriasis thats flared up on my scalp, its horrible trying to wash it like pouring acid on it :)

Ive tried Tgel horrible it does nothing for me, I am thinking of trying eggs mixed with honey and olive oil, the honey has anti inflamatory properties, the eggs have sulfer and the olive oil will help moisturise, does this sound like something youd want to try?

ETA= soap nuts helped mine last time, might be good for eczema too

That's actually a really good idea. I'm really willing to try anything, this is getting unbearable for me, and the more natural, the better!

No eczema-related problems here, but I love this shampoo:

http://www.pureabba.com/products/specialty/gentle-shampoo

It is extremely gentle, no sulphates or other nasties... I even use it on my little daughter without any problems as well. It's definitely worth checking out. I think if I were you I'd use this and then use some kind of medicated cream or lotion rather than a medicated shampoo.

Exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for! I'll look into it, thank you!

You can try out the organic soaps that are available in Indian grocery stores around US cities. Soaps like A.M.Amla No.1 soap, Kesh Nikhar soap, Chandrika Soap, Godrej Shikakai soap. I'm Attaching the links for you to read.
http://www.newlove-makeup.com/2010/12/m-amla-hair-soap-review.html
http://www.mehndiskinart.com/Kesh-Nikhar-Soap.htm
http://www.mouthshut.com/review/Shikakai-Soap-review-qunptspls

I used to use A.M.Amla soap when I was in high school, that time I possessed TB length hair which were almost without any problem and had thickness of 5.25 inches at pony. I dont know why I stopped using it, I guess facination for shampoos was to blame. Anyways if you decide to give it a try remember to oil your hair pre-poo with coconut oil. This way your hair shall come out healthier and shinier without drying effects.

Hope this was helpful.

Very helpful! Thank you for the suggestions!

I used to have eczema all over my scalp a couple of years ago. I'm not sure what made it go away, but I like the Head & Shoulders schampoo. Now I'm doing Conditioner only and it's working very well. I hope you find something that suits and helps you!

I've tried H&S, but my hair didn't enjoy it. Conditioner only is a great idea, though. I might end up going in that direction. May I ask what conditioners you're using for it?

I have a hybrid eczema/seborrhoeic dermatitis thing going on, mostly triggered by my horrendous allergies. The best thing I have found so far is Aveeno's baby shampoo & wash. I use it sparingly, only on my scalp, and because it's so alkaline I do an ACV rinse as needed (once every week or two). My hair has been pretty happy, and so has my scalp and face skin.

I am eyeballing the toadstool shampoo line though - the reviews are pretty tempting. The scent might inflame your eczema though... depends on how sensitive you are. I *am* very sensitive, so I have been hesitating.

On a related note, the best thing I have done for my overall eczema/seb derm is:
-install a water softener on my shower head. less than $20, and it made a huge difference.
-Eucerin's eczema therapy wash. It comes in a gold bottle, and has a number of oils that my skin drinks up. I actually tried it as a shampoo just to see what would happen, and my hair didn't seem to like it. The rest if me is :inlove: over it though - very recommended!

Good luck!

Thank you for the suggestions and your experience! This is really helpful. I'll definitely get a water softener, I think that will help.

Arashi
January 10th, 2012, 08:21 AM
I second the Toadstool Soaps shampoo recommendation. Very gentle but also cleans well is my experience.. fragrance free, of course, is probably the best option (unfortunately, considering all of the wonderful scents).

luvnaz
January 10th, 2012, 09:30 AM
I have the same thing and it is no fun! I've tried so many things and nothing seemed to help!

Then a few weeks ago I went to a health food store and the clerk handed me Nature's Plus beauty bar. It has an Acid ph 4.5 and contains Allantoin and 500 IU of vitamin E. It is completely free of soap and lye, tallow, hexachlorophene & alkalis.

It is Fantastic!!!!!! Smells great & cleans well, but I do not have the dry, tight itchy feeling or plaques or redness at all!

I also got Florasone for eczema. It is a natural homeopathic cream with out the steroids that hydrocortizone has. The main ingredient is Cardiospermum halicacabum.

It is also Fantastic!!!!! very little itchiness and the dry flakes & plaques are gone!

I'm so happy I found these two products! I had been battling this problem for so long. I had tried so many things and nothing worked.

I'm never going back to regular shampoo with SLS or even shampoo bars with lye & tallow. I'm sticking with this Allantoin non soap. Allantoin is the active ingredient in the comfrey plant.

I hope you'll give it a try and have relief from the scalp itch! I feel so much better!

A few days ago I stopped drinking diet cola. I noticed I wasn't scratching my scalp at all! I think I am allergic to the artificial sweetener or something in the diet cola! So if you drink diet cola or anything with Aspartame in it you might try excluding that and see what happens!

Good Luck! I hope you try the Nature's Plus Beauty bar...it is really awesome :D

Amazinggrace
January 10th, 2012, 09:40 AM
I second a water softener, and avenoo baby shampoo, I can use VO5 tea therapy conditioner. When my excema is not bad I use Aussie 3 minute miracle for deep conditioning.

CarpeDM
January 10th, 2012, 09:52 AM
I'm so glad you asked this question! I have eczema and I really like to use natural products but most of the natural products out there tend to exacerbate my eczema. I was using CV bars but they made the ezcema worse. I believe it was the castor oil used in the soap that irritated my skin more. My dermatologist said to stay away from anything scented and to use Dove for sensitive skin, what a bummer! It has been hard to find a more natural shampoo, but I've had a lot of luck with Komenuka Bijin shampoo. It is pricey but it works really well. It is MOSTLY natural and it doesn't irritate my eczema. I used it before for a few years but decided to try something less expensive. Now I've recently gone back to it, because it works so well and the natural products were making my eczema flare up. Isn't it ironic that we try to go back to the natural products and get away from the chemicals and the natural products end up irritating our skin more? It can be frustrating...

moxamoll
January 10th, 2012, 10:11 AM
I have allergies and dermatographic urticaria - not quite the same, but I've also had eczema in the past, so you have my deepest sympathies.

I've used the Abba Gentle and found that it worked pretty well, so you could give it a try. (I'm actually trying to sell some on the swap board. :o It still has parabens, which I'm trying to avoid.)

I've been using shampoo bars for a couple of weeks and really liking them. I still have to read the ingredients lists carefully - only about 1/3 seem to be free of ingredients that I know are triggers for me. But that's very personal and the "safe" ones for me work really well. However, most people seem to think that you need to use a vinegar or citric acid rinse afterwards and I'm not sure how the eczema would react to that?

suzye
January 10th, 2012, 12:58 PM
You are all so very helpful! Thank you for all the suggestions. I'm gonna go through all of them and pick one or two to try out first! I hope that other people looking for an answer to the same question are successful, as well!

Gypsygirl
January 10th, 2012, 11:55 PM
Let us know what you end up doing and how it goes! :flower: