PDA

View Full Version : Troubleshooting routine at high altitude

Jimothea
January 9th, 2012, 03:15 PM
So I recently moved from approximately sea level (and super humid) to 9300-ish (and super dry), and can't figure out what to do with my washing routine, lol.

Formerly I was a CO girl (diluted w/water) followed by ACV rinses, but my hair is a completely different creature up here -- I've dropped to a 2b/2c to a 1b, for example. Now COing weighs it down to a very noticeable extent, and the water is soft enough I don't need a acid rinse any more. I've also tried oil shampooing, but again, even the coconut oil weighs it down; I seemed to reach saturation pretty quickly, and bumped down the amount of oil to shampoo, but then the static/dryness of the area took over and I bumped the ratio back up, lol. :rolleyes:

All in all, my hair and scalp love this climate, but I've been spending a lot of time in the sun --hooray!-- and my hair is already lightening considerably, which makes the weighed down oilies of CO and oil shampoo pretty noticeable, especially when the dry, bleached ends are floating vertically up to my ears from static (no really, it's pretty funny), lol. Regular S &C leaves my hair stripped feeling, especially the bottom bleached portion. Any ideas?

TIA, and happy growing!

FrozenBritannia
January 9th, 2012, 04:01 PM
This is going to sound odd, but maybe try a two in one baby shampoo, with a tea rinse after.. Clarify first of course.
My thought process being that the two in one will make sure there isn't too much conditioner going on the hair. I am only at 2280 feet, but my hair doesn't usually do well with any conditioner, and i find i have less flyaways if i don't use it at all.

Plus, the baby stuff is usually pretty cheap, and if you don't like it, you can either add some oil to it, or use it to clean the tub. :)

Madora
January 9th, 2012, 04:15 PM
Other than to keep it well moisturized, I have no clue.

But, I would suggest that for the sake of both your scalp and your hair that you wear a white scarf when outdoors to protect it.

ktani
January 9th, 2012, 04:59 PM
Dry ends and static - sounds all too familiar.

Here you go. http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=85580

The small amount of mineral oil will be washed out out by the oil shampoo no problem.