PDA

View Full Version : Shedding like crazy?

monsterna
January 9th, 2012, 11:40 AM
My hair's been noticeably shedding a lot more within the last few weeks or a month. So much that now I'm just collecting it on the wall in the shower so I can collect it and put it in the trash when I get out, otherwise the drain will be clogged up within the week.

When I run my hands through my hair, a few strands will always come out (from the root, not breakage), 90% of the time. I'm not sure if the circumference has changed, I haven't kept up with it. Hair also seems a more tangly than normal... is this from it just getting longer? It's BSL now at the longest area.

I haven't stopped or started birth control or done anything differently recently. Hoping it's just something seasonal and wondering if I'm the only one? Thanks!

jacqueline101
January 9th, 2012, 11:54 AM
I had this problem a few months ago but it seems to be better.

Tsopana
January 9th, 2012, 12:02 PM
you can run some blood tests to check if your vitamins/hormones (thyroid and others)/iron, folic acid and ferritin levels are ok..

Amber_Maiden
January 9th, 2012, 12:32 PM
Could be just a seasonal shed. I went through that. Took a month for my scalp to calm down.

jeanniet
January 9th, 2012, 01:16 PM
I've been shedding a lot the past couple of weeks. We're having a really screwy winter (no rain in weeks, and this time of year we should be drenched) so I think that's it.

girlcat36
January 9th, 2012, 01:21 PM
I have thyroid/anemia issues and that is exactly how I shed. I can comb or brush it out pre-shower until I am sure no more hair is going to be shed, then I hit the shower and 60-100 more hairs come out! Then the all day shedding of hairs......I hate that. It would be a good idea to have a doctor run some tests. He/she would probably just want to run TSH and CBC, but ideally you should have a complete iron panel+ferritin, and for thyroid they should run FreeT3 and FreeT4 as well as TSH.
Good luck.

monsterna
January 9th, 2012, 01:26 PM
Thanks everyone, maybe I will get blood work done! :)

BlondieHepburn
January 9th, 2012, 01:37 PM
I've been shedding like that for the last couple months. I was getting really worried about it, until I realized that I only started to notice this excessive shedding since reaching BSL. My conclusion has been that, after several years of having shorter hair, I had simply forgotten what is was like to have long-ish hair.

Before I turned 18 and chopped it all off, I had TBL hair that shed like a long-haired cat wherever I went. It was normal then, because I'd always had long hair. But now, after 7 years of having short hair, I started to freak out when I would have clumps of it in my fingers in the shower. I also realized that since the hairs are longer, it looks to me like 10 hairs fell out, but when I count them it's more like 3-4.

So it might be a good idea to have your health examined, but don't freak out; it might also just be your newly acquired length.

monsterna
January 9th, 2012, 01:44 PM
I've been shedding like that for the last couple months. I was getting really worried about it, until I realized that I only started to notice this excessive shedding since reaching BSL. My conclusion has been that, after several years of having shorter hair, I had simply forgotten what is was like to have long-ish hair.

Before I turned 18 and chopped it all off, I had TBL hair that shed like a long-haired cat wherever I went. It was normal then, because I'd always had long hair. But now, after 7 years of having short hair, I started to freak out when I would have clumps of it in my fingers in the shower. I also realized that since the hairs are longer, it looks to me like 10 hairs fell out, but when I count them it's more like 3-4.

So it might be a good idea to have your health examined, but don't freak out; it might also just be your newly acquired length.

I was thinking this was it too maybe. I would count the same number, thinking it was more, but it's just due to the length.