PDA

View Full Version : Help! ! Tried To Lighten Hair, Turned Orangish!

GoldberryHair
January 9th, 2012, 09:38 AM
HELP! I used to dye my hair colors all the time, albeit darkers,

and from my natural hair color which was a honey blonde I tried to lighten it to "extra light ash blonde" and I followed all the directions and knew what I was doing and now it has this horrible orangish hue...I have to work tonight so I'll have to wear a hat what do I do?

Aside from going to a salon that it.... :( I feel so dumb :(

honeyblonde
January 9th, 2012, 09:57 AM
Loreal has several "natural blonde" shades. The medium natural blonde seems to work well for me! BTW...Loreal is the ONLY brand I will use. I have tried ashy colors and they make my hair grayish. :)

Buffy
January 9th, 2012, 10:12 AM
oh no!!!! This **** can happen with "peroxide at home", that's why on your other post i suggested you to try a peroxide-free dye,like Korres.

What did you end up using?Tell us more details! The certain thing i can say for now, is buying a "silver" shampoo! You won't see a huge difference immediately, but it will help!

honeyblonde
January 9th, 2012, 10:14 AM
Ooh, either you need a higher volume developer or it was rinsed off too early.

Anje
January 9th, 2012, 10:18 AM
That can happen.

I agree -- for the moment you want one of those blue-tinted shampoos for blonds or gray-haired folks to prevent brassiness. Or a teeny (tiny!) dab of blue Manic Panic mixed in a bunch of your conditioner.

In the longer term, you need to get a toner to counteract that orange color. Someone like Kwanie who knows all about this sort of thing can tell you more than I could.

GoldberryHair
January 9th, 2012, 10:45 AM
That can happen.

I agree -- for the moment you want one of those blue-tinted shampoos for blonds or gray-haired folks to prevent brassiness. Or a teeny (tiny!) dab of blue Manic Panic mixed in a bunch of your conditioner.

In the longer term, you need to get a toner to counteract that orange color. Someone like Kwanie who knows all about this sort of thing can tell you more than I could.

I originally used Loreal Feria Lighest blonde shade and UGH....I just came back from good ol' Sallys and the girl helped me get this bleaching kit thing with a toner built in...I'm doing a test strand now...it can't look much worse so let's cross our fingers...if it doesn't work I guess I'll be wearing a hat till I such it up and go to the salon to get my NATURAL color ... :(

fyi: my hair is really resilient against damage..I used to dye it all colors and blow dry and straighten and it was healthy so I'm not too worried about the damage of this over all I just want nice NON ORANGE color... GRRR....

ugh I feels so dumb I wanna cry :(

Mommyof4
January 9th, 2012, 11:05 AM
The bleach with a toner built in will most likely just turn it a yellow/brassy even worse.. Is it kaleidocolors or something like it?

I would buy a blue-base level 12 high lift blonde, before ever just applying the hair bleach. Good luck..

faellen
January 9th, 2012, 11:10 AM
I may be wrong, but I don't think Feria has a pre-lightener in it, which is probably why you got the result you did. Odd that an ash would make your hair orange, ash blondes are usually best for getting rid of orange or yellow tones in bleached hair!

Mommyof4
January 9th, 2012, 11:13 AM
I may be wrong, but I don't think Feria has a pre-lightener in it, which is probably why you got the result you did. Odd that an ash would make your hair orange, ash blondes are usually best for getting rid of orange or yellow tones in bleached hair!

Alot of things (especially if they're not salon-grade) say "ash" or "neutral" or "red" or whatever, but then the base is totally different :/ Even some salon dyes will say for example: "Ash blonde" but be a neutral or violet base, which is okay, except, if you have orange hair and think, oh this ash will save my hair!, it won't give you the result you need.. I always read the base, I don't trust anything else, *except a seasoned cosmetologist who knows what they're doing of course* :D

kittymallow
January 9th, 2012, 11:22 AM
When you lighten a natural shade that is/was as "dark" as you with a colour it WILL become orange. A color can only lighten "so many shades" at a time, and this usally means that you cant lighten it more than 2-4 shades. I have had customers with almost white blonde hair, and it still turns yellow/orange from a lightening color. Lightening colors is difficult! i am sorry this happened to you! you now need to think about the color wheel. the opposite color of orange is green, and most ash colors are green based, so an ashy color will help. If you get it lighter and it turns yellow you need/can correct the yellow using purple:) there is a reason why colorists have 4 years of education:) i know it looks so easy to just buy something and diy, but usally that turns more expensive than a salon visit, since it uaslly turns out like this.. I really hope you can find something working out.

Mommyof4
January 9th, 2012, 11:26 AM
When you lighten a natural shade that is/was as "dark" as you with a colour it WILL become orange. A color can only lighten "so many shades" at a time, and this usally means that you cant lighten it more than 2-4 shades. I have had customers with almost white blonde hair, and it still turns yellow/orange from a lightening color. Lightening colors is difficult! i am sorry this happened to you! you now need to think about the color wheel. the opposite color of orange is green, and most ash colors are green based, so an ashy color will help. If you get it lighter and it turns yellow you need/can correct the yellow using purple:) there is a reason why colorists have 4 years of education:) i know it looks so easy to just buy something and diy, but usally that turns more expensive than a salon visit, since it uaslly turns out like this.. I really hope you can find something working out.

4 years???? Wow! I wish someone in my area had an education like that for hair! The longest course available in my area is 12 months.. I've looked online and everything trying to find a better cosmetology school, but as far as my state, 12 months is it...

AnqeIicDemise
January 9th, 2012, 11:31 AM
Yeah.. My hair is naturally dark and the one time I tried going blue all over my head I used a bleach with the toner in it. I looked like autumn (all sorts of red and orange shades).

kittymallow
January 9th, 2012, 01:24 PM
4 years???? Wow! I wish someone in my area had an education like that for hair! The longest course available in my area is 12 months.. I've looked online and everything trying to find a better cosmetology school, but as far as my state, 12 months is it...

Well i have one year of school before the hairdressing school, one year hairdresser school and two years as an apperentice before i can call myself a hairdresser. that is in fact 4 years of education to become a hairdresser. and the fun thing about beeing a hairdresser is that yua are neved done learning:)