PDA

View Full Version : help with weird ends D:

Zhennni(:
January 9th, 2012, 08:15 AM
So whenever I try to put my hair in a bun ( regular bun, sock bun, bun with clips) or use rags to curl my hair, I ALWAYS end up with these weird L or J shaped ends. I have no idea why, and those ends feel very dry and rough so I just end up trimming them off:( why does this happen and what can I do to prevent it?

ktani
January 9th, 2012, 08:53 AM
It sounds as if you have some build-up on your ends. Clarifying should help.

WaitingSoLong
January 9th, 2012, 09:08 AM
I agre with ktani. If there are no obvious splits.

spidermom
January 9th, 2012, 09:20 AM
I get weird ends after bunning, too. I think it's because my buns get loose and kind of slip and twist, which scrunches up the ends. I've wet just the ends and massaged a drop of oil into them; that seems to put them right again (most of the time).

jacqueline101
January 9th, 2012, 09:59 AM
My hair did that when ever I bunned it but I thought it was me. I just learned to ignore it. The oil on the ends does sound good.

blondie9912
January 9th, 2012, 02:36 PM
My hair does that sometimes, it's a real bummer isn't it? I found this happened when my hair was dry, so clarifying and deep conditioning followed by a touch of oil on the ends should do the trick.

Amber_Maiden
January 9th, 2012, 03:46 PM
I get that as well, even though I'm chopped 13in this year. I'm guessing I have more damage than I thought, maybe you do as well...

mzBANGBANG
January 9th, 2012, 04:05 PM
I use foam curlers on my hair and whenever I do this my ends feel SO incredibly dry. I haven't tried a clarifying shampoo yet, but I do find that after I wash out my curls, my hair goes back to feeling healthy. I'm going to give the clarifying shampoo a try, like some others said it probably is just build up. The first time this happened to me I started S&Ding like crazy which also definitely helped my hair feel more soft on the ends.

I use Africa's Best Herbal Oil on the ends at night, I imagine I get a lot of build up from that and my cones. :)

Zhennni(:
January 9th, 2012, 05:24 PM
I claried a while ago and am using non-cone products so I dont know what is causing the problem...I will try oiling the ends and see if it helps :)

WaitingSoLong
January 9th, 2012, 07:58 PM
I really advocate for clarifying (yes, again). Adding ore oils to hair that is not properly clarified can really make it worse. I am not sure how build-up makes it feel dry and oils can, too, if not properly clarified. I am always amazed at what 'build-up" can do. It can feel like the opposite, really. Now I know I need to clarify as soon as myends get wonky. One must use sulfates, not just cone free stuff. I know there are other clarifying things but I am not sure what they are. I was always too afraid to try baking soda!

But listen...
I clarify once every other month or so (I only wash once or twice a week) and I am a heavy cone user. I just bought and used a chelating shampoo for the first time ever....I clarified last time I washed (about a week ago) and went ahead and did so again with the Joico chelating shampoo today....HOLY MOLY....SUPER soft, amazing! So one clarify may not be enough!

I noticed, also, that the conditioner was much more effective right after, too. I used the Garnier Fructis (GF3N) Triple Nutrition, something I usually only use for DCT's because it never gives me the slip coney conditioners do. WELL...I was very surprised at the new results and I didn't even need the cones!

jojo
January 10th, 2012, 12:55 AM
I get weird ends after bunning, too. I think it's because my buns get loose and kind of slip and twist, which scrunches up the ends. I've wet just the ends and massaged a drop of oil into them; that seems to put them right again (most of the time).

same here but i oil the ends before and it helps, still get the crinkle cut chip look on them but not that horrible dry feeling.

amanda_the_tall
February 24th, 2012, 08:48 PM
i get those too!! then they get all tangled on each other, and form knots, then break off when i run my fingers through them. :(

Lipbalmbabe
February 24th, 2012, 09:08 PM
I get these aswell maybe you need to wrap better?

Bagginslover
February 25th, 2012, 03:08 AM
When I know I'm going to wear my hair in a bun, I oil now, pretty heavily actually. I've found that not only does it help with the kinky ends, it makes my buns look neater (which is GREAT when you have as many naughty layers as I have!)