PDA

View Full Version : How to wean myself off of blowdrying?

tigerlily83
July 14th, 2008, 05:44 PM
I'm still new to the boards (I have only lurked and posted a little)...and after reading many posts, I've decided that after many years of heat torture to my hair....that I would like to give up my flat iron/blowdryer, and stick to air drying. However, I do use heat protecting products and shampoo/condish that does minimize the damage.

I always thought that since I have pretty thick and somewhat wavy hair, that I had to blowdry my hair to get it smooth. I measured it, and it's now at 17 1/2" with some layers, after having a short inverted bob cut -shortest at just below the nape of the neck, longest at 2" below the chin- back in October '07. My mini-goal is to get it to APL or at least close to it. (my hair does go past the shoulders a little)

How do I go about weaning myself off of "blowfrying"? Is it best to just turbie towel dry? And what are some ways I can achieve smooth silky hair like I've seen on here, without killing my hair that I'm trying to grow?

Golden21
July 14th, 2008, 05:50 PM
I second this request. I am also new to the boards and have always blowdried my hair. Whenever I let it air dry it just doesn't look good. I need a solution to this also!

Teacherbear
July 14th, 2008, 05:56 PM
The thing that convinced me to stop blowfrying my hair was that I was getting more compliments on it when it was airdried. I started scrunching my wavy hair as it was drying (sometimes I "dried" it sitting in front of a box-type fan to speed the drying process). Then, I didn't brush it or comb it. I realized that that really brought out my waves and curl pattern.

If I really want to be dressed up (with my hair down) I air dry my hair and don't touch it at all. It preserves the waves/curls. I get lots of compliments that way.

Try it! :)

Curlsgirl
July 14th, 2008, 06:07 PM
I would suggest first to just let your hair dry without touching it to see what type of hair you have. Post here if you have doubts. Then you can get better advice on how to style/handle it. As for blow drying, try to not do it on a day when you are just running around town or doing something very casual at first to get sort of used to how you look. For me, part of it was just because I was so USED to blow drying for so long, I looked funny to myself not doing it. There are ways to straighten if you still want to, not the blow dry/flat iron effect maybe but there's damp bunning, combing while your hair dries and a few other ways. You may decide you like it wavy or find out you have more curl than you thought like many here do though and wear it like that instead. Whatever you decide you should look at the pics our dear friend Nightshade has of what a hair that has been exposed to heat looks like under a microscope. I daresay that will help to motivate you.

Oh NIghtshadeeeeeeeeeee, someone needs youuuuuuuuu :D

Bucatini
July 14th, 2008, 06:21 PM
Seconding what Teacherbear and curlsgirl have said, you have to sort of "just do it." And please don't be frustrated on the first day without it if you think your hair looks bad. When I finally locked mine in the closet, it was about a week of just plain weirdness before my hair settled back down. Even now, if I use the blowfryer my hair sort of "misbheaves" and does not look right for a couple of washes afterwards.

Good luck, and welcome!

Tangles
July 14th, 2008, 06:25 PM
honestly, if you're a 1a/b, you should have NO wave in your hair, except perhaps a body wave. you sound more like a 1c to me.

anyway, i found updos to be really effective in totally eliminating heat from my routine, because:
1) they tide you over a period when your hair really needs to recover from damage,
2) they can shape your hair if you do braids or buns when damp,
and 3) eliminate worries over frizz, growing out layers, and other problems, allowing me to focus on my day.

ladystar
July 14th, 2008, 06:26 PM
I use to blow dry weekly if not more, since I joined LHC I have gotten use to not blow drying as often... I only did it if I have a special event, and it made a hole lot of difference,. I give myself challenges and try not to blow dry for a month or 2 months or even longer, until I feel that I never have to do it again and just simply get use to loving my hair for its natural pattern. I know its hard to stop but its well worth it if you really want long hair, nightshade did share some pictures that motivated me to try my best to not blow dry.

tigerlily83
July 14th, 2008, 06:28 PM
honestly, if you're a 1a/b, you should have NO wave in your hair, except perhaps a body wave. you sound more like a 1c to me.

It definitely has some wave to it...I probably forgot *exactly* how much because I've been straightening for so long.

Aelith
July 14th, 2008, 06:49 PM
I asked a similar question myself not too long ago. And literally another inch or so makes all the difference. If you can, put it in a wet pony or small bun, pinned back, until it air dries. Once dry, take it down, or if you get used to it leave it up all day. After a while, you'll be stunned at the growth (because you haven't been looking at it loose for a while!) plus the added bonus of not needing to blowfry.

Golden21
July 14th, 2008, 07:33 PM
I am going to try this tomorrow. Thanks for mentioning to give it a few days, this is something I have never done before and probably the reason I have not liked my hair when it is not blown dry.

Future CCC-SLP
July 14th, 2008, 07:44 PM
I was a daily heat styler, either my blow dryer or flat iron. While I still do it OCCASIONALLY, I have cut down drastically. I maybe will do it once every other month depending on the occasion. I think what helped me was while I would use heat on my hair I couldn't stop thinking of all the damage I was doing! I think the big key here is to love your hair the way it is. It is taking me some time but I have found that scrunching my hair really helps bring out my waves and love it for what it is.

Good luck!

jojo
July 15th, 2008, 09:59 AM
Its hard eh? i still do occasionally use heat but not very often now. My hair looks more shiny and healthy when air dried and also I swear it grows quicker too!

Monsterkitti
July 15th, 2008, 10:17 AM
Im also pretty bad at not leaving my hair to do its own thing. I am much better than I was. I used to straighten all of it every day but now I'm trying to limit it to once a week ready for the weekend and just my short layers around my face. Makes me feel a bit more sleek without doing as much damage. Hopefully cut down gradually to only special occasions :)

Ive been finding if I can put up my hair and forget it after washing it the next day it looks much much better and with much less fuzz.

Periwinkle
July 15th, 2008, 10:35 AM
You could try blowdrying on a cold setting.

LaurelSpring
July 15th, 2008, 10:43 AM
Try it for one week. Do whatever you have to do to not blow dry it and wear it up. Summer is good for this. Take really good care of your hair and oil it and do all of the good things that the people here suggest. Then after a week go back and try it the old way. If you are like me you will feel like your blow dried hair is fried and horribly crunchy and disgusting and you wont be able to wait until you can get it back to good. That is what cured me!

angelthadiva
July 15th, 2008, 10:45 AM
I went cold turkey, and pretty much only blow dry on the lowest heat setting (occasionally when I do use the hair dryer)...

I echo what Teacherbear suggested about the box fan, that is helpful, but it makes my hair tangly...I do wet or damp updos, that is helpful too. :)

Elenna
July 15th, 2008, 11:03 AM
Blow drying causes hair damage which needs blow drying to make it presentable.

There are two solutions:
1. Cold blow drying isn’t too bad and it can help get you off the hot-blow drying.

2. Or putting your damp hair into a ponytail or bun, and letting it dry.

It takes a while but if you stop using the blow dryer, your hair texture will change for the better.

I think that the “silky-straight hair” is from henna and/or cassia. The hair that needs sunglasses because it is so shiny.

WaimeaWahine
July 15th, 2008, 02:16 PM
Absolutely agree. If you can't stand it or you have to be someplace fast and need to be dry, blow dry on cold setting only.

Avoid the urge also to standard towel drying. That did so much damage to rub chunks of my wet hair back and forth vigorously with a towel! Pat it down with a towel or gently slide the towel down the natural direction (toward floor) of the hair shaft.

Best wishes for happy and dry hair! :)

tigerlily83
July 15th, 2008, 03:35 PM
Thanks everyone for the advice!

I tried it last night and when it did dry, my hair felt so different but in a good way! I also tried out the CWC method, and I think that works really well with the no blowdrying. I'm not going to throw it out, but might still use it on occasion. I'm going to try it for a week and see how it feels. :)