PDA

View Full Version : sulfate-FULL shampoo made my hair grow??

Buffy
January 9th, 2012, 12:33 AM
Hey guys! I'll get right to the point:

I'll sum this up in case you are bored to read the whole thing: a basically clarifying, sulfate-full shampoo made my scalp itchy and dry, but definitely made new hair grow all over my head(when i say new hair i mean newborn baby hair , not more length)!....why?!

Before i knew anything about hair i used a ....horse shampoo, recommended to me by friends!

I used it for a long time (4 months straight) and it made my hair feel so soft and weight-less...so clean!

After a while i realised it made my scalp incredibly itchy and pretty dry, but i DEFINITELY noticed hair growing all over the place! Baby hair everywhere,i tell ya! (it wasn't breakage and i didn't change anything else in my diet or hair routine).

I stoped using it because of the itchiness.
Now looking back at the ingredient list, it's basically a shampoo FILLED with sulfates,and nothing else lol!!

Here are the ingredients exactly as written on the packaging:

5-15% anionic surfactants,
<5% nonanionic surfactants,
<5% amphoteric surfactants,
<1% cationic surfactants ,
perfumes (coumarin, benzyl alcohol) ,
preservatives (Mathylchloroisothiazolinone , Mathylisothiazolinone)

Why on earth did this thing make my hair grow? Any reasonable explanation?

the.fee.fairy
January 9th, 2012, 01:26 AM
Everyone's hair and body are different. Some people hate sulfates, some can't live without them. Some people hate -cones, some can't live without them.

My hair loves abuse...seriously. After permanent dyeing, bleaching, sticking in microbraids for a months, braiding with fake hair extensions etc, i'll take it out and it will not only have grown, but it thickens and shines more than if i care for it! For some other people, they'll be shaking at the screen because if they dare to do any of this, their hair breaks and gets dry, but mine loves it.

It's the same with bodies. My aunt used to be an underwear model and wouldn't get out of bed until she'd eaten a pack of chocolate biscuits. She lived on all the food that supposed to make you fat but stayed tiny. The one time she had a massive salad, she put on weight. Lettuce made her gain weight.

So it's all about individual chemistry and how it combines with other chemistry, so if your hair chemistry needs something like sulfates, it'll take them and use them from the sulfate shampoo.

Some people swear by egg rinses and ACV, if i use it, my hair goes flat, dull and just looks unhappy. But, if i use the cheapest, roughest shampoo followed by handfuls of the cheapest conditioner then it's happy.

So maybe it's just your body chemistry feeling happier with the sulfates?

*disclaimer: I am not a chemist!*

Try finding maybe a thicker conditioner and using it on your scalp. Or, i have heard of people using E45 cream on their hair and scalp. I think there was a discussion about it here when i first joined. That would remoisturise your scalp. Or, use oils like jojoba or coconut to moisturise your scalp - that is if you want to carry on with the horse shampoo (i am SO tempted to try it now!).

jojo
January 9th, 2012, 02:04 AM
Using sulfates doesn't prevent hair growing, everybody's hair has its own growth pattern. It goes through growth spurts and stalls. Sulfates may cause problems like breakage in some but would not prevent hair growing, ive always used sulfates and had no problem but there are some who have allergies and so non sulfate shampoos are used instead. Its great you have had good growth, but id expect some growth after 4 months regardless of what you washed your hair with.

Buffy
January 9th, 2012, 02:27 AM
I'm not against sulfates! I always have and still use sulfate shampoos! But it's not just a sulfate shampoo we are talking about here:

This shampoo is filled with them and nothing else! Not any moisturising ingredients, not even cones!, it's basically a clarifying shampoo, and a strong one!!
And i used it every other day(!!!!) , PLUS because it made my hair "lighter and softer" i didn't even use conditioner most times!

Imean that has to be too much for my poor hair! And indeed it was, at least for my scalp! My scalp never felt more miserable! Yet i had new growth i had NEVER seen before on me! Even my friends and family noticed without me saying anything!

All i'm saying is, this seems odd and oximoron to me: making my scalp dry, itchy and miserable made my hair fuller than i've ever seen them before!
So i'm wondering, is there a reasonable explanation for this? That's all!

p.s.

@ the.fee.fairy you are right that it has to do with each individual's body and genes! My friend straightens and washes her hair every day and she has the best hair i've ever seen! But ........how should i say this........she has good hair REGARDLESS the abuse, not BECAUSE of it!!

@ jojo When i say 'new growth', i don't mean my hair got longer! I mean i actually had "new born" hair everywhere on my head!

Mina17
January 9th, 2012, 03:15 AM
It could be that you had clogged hair follicles and the sulfates cleared them out.

Raiscake
January 9th, 2012, 03:44 AM
Sulfates aren't always a bad thing. I love sulfate shampoo and my hair grows pretty quickly.

jojo
January 9th, 2012, 07:14 AM
I'm not against sulfates! I always have and still use sulfate shampoos! But it's not just a sulfate shampoo we are talking about here:

This shampoo is filled with them and nothing else! Not any moisturising ingredients, not even cones!, it's basically a clarifying shampoo, and a strong one!!
And i used it every other day(!!!!) , PLUS because it made my hair "lighter and softer" i didn't even use conditioner most times!

Imean that has to be too much for my poor hair! And indeed it was, at least for my scalp! My scalp never felt more miserable! Yet i had new growth i had NEVER seen before on me! Even my friends and family noticed without me saying anything!

All i'm saying is, this seems odd and oximoron to me: making my scalp dry, itchy and miserable made my hair fuller than i've ever seen them before!
So i'm wondering, is there a reasonable explanation for this? That's all!

p.s.

@ the.fee.fairy you are right that it has to do with each individual's body and genes! My friend straightens and washes her hair every day and she has the best hair i've ever seen! But ........how should i say this........she has good hair REGARDLESS the abuse, not BECAUSE of it!!

@ jojo When i say 'new growth', i don't mean my hair got longer! I mean i actually had "new born" hair everywhere on my head! did you by any chance used to straighten your hair? if you did you are probably not used to seeing these baby hairs as they get flattened down by them. Actually one good thing about straighteners!! AVG helps smooth them down. The hair grows at different rates all over the head, it will be new growth, they will soon get to a stage where they get to a more decent length.
As a rule of thumb tapered ends =new growth, blunt ends=breakage!