PDA

View Full Version : Roomba and long hair

Yame
January 8th, 2012, 07:56 PM
Do any of you guys have a roomba (those vacuuming robots)? How are they with shed hairs?

I have long (hip length) coarse hair that sheds everywhere. I'm getting a roomba now because I'm too lazy and busy to vacuum my place as often as I need to, plus my vacuum cleaner broke and I figured I'm better off getting a robot to do it for me than getting a new, regular vacuum.

With that said, I don't think the roomba is going to do so well with my hair so I'm thinking I'll have to borrow a vacuum cleaner and at least go over the whole house once before using the roomba for the first time. After that, will the roomba be OK to do all my cleanings or is it going to have problems with my hair?

amantha
January 8th, 2012, 08:12 PM
I have MBL hair, and my cat is long-haired. As long as your carpet isn't entirely full of fuzz/hair balls, the roomba does an adequate job of vacuuming. So I would still recommend that you run your regular vacuum over your floors and then later in the week run the roomba. However the annoying part about the roomba is that regardless of how clean your carpet is, you still have to clean the bristles between every single use. And I don't think the roomba does a good enough job vacuuming to make it the only vacuum in my home. I would still use a regular vacuum every so often.

Moonlake
January 8th, 2012, 08:28 PM

Resham Carden
January 8th, 2012, 11:06 PM
I am not sure about how well the roomba will work for you, but if you decide to use the old fashion vacuum instead, I would recommend running your fingers through the carpet to pick up the majority of your hair prior to vacuuming. I actually broke our old vacuum with my hair by not doing this! :cry:

Yame
January 9th, 2012, 06:16 AM
I am not sure about how well the roomba will work for you, but if you decide to use the old fashion vacuum instead, I would recommend running your fingers through the carpet to pick up the majority of your hair prior to vacuuming. I actually broke our old vacuum with my hair by not doing this! :cry:

This IS how my old vacuum broke... lol

julliams
January 9th, 2012, 06:33 AM
And here I was thinking it was an alternative to Zumba - lol. With an engineering husband who builds robots you would think I would know what a Roomba was!!!