PDA

View Full Version : dye

bunnylake
January 8th, 2012, 05:55 PM
I currently have my hair dyed black with Feria. I am thinking about not dying my hair at all anymore, and my natural color is dark brown with reddish highlights. I was wondering if there is a relatively safe and natural way to lift the black out of my hair so it's mostly all one color as it grows out? Also, will the dye stay in my hair forever until it is grown out and cut off, or does it fade until it is eventually gone from each hair shaft?

In case I decide I want to keep up the black, what is the best natural or close-to-natural dye I can use?

Thank you!

Amber_Maiden
January 8th, 2012, 05:59 PM
Indigo would definitely give you black hair. Not sure how you could lift the black though... Maybe honey lightening?

PennyLaneDream
January 8th, 2012, 06:05 PM
I was also going to suggest honey lightening (it really lightens my natural colour but not sure about lifting dye) but you should also try baking soda. Either mix some with your shampoo and leave it on for a few minutes or just mix it with water. Some people say that head and shoulders shampoo lifts dye but I haven't tried that one

A. Correira
January 8th, 2012, 06:11 PM
I'm not sure about the natural remedy that could help you, but I think that the fading depends on your hair. I have a naturally light strawberry blonde and I have dyed my hair a dark brown and it all faded to my natural color within a month or two. There was pretty much no difference between my natural color at my roots and the dyed part. BUT! My hair doesn't like holding color very well, so I can quickly get back to my natureal color. And I noticed that the more often I watched my hair, the quicker it faded. It just depends on your hair. And the kind of dye that was used.

jacqueline101
January 8th, 2012, 06:18 PM
I heard clarifying shampoo fades hair colors.

swearnsue
January 8th, 2012, 06:23 PM
A mixture of indigo and henna would give black with red highlights and the more often you use it the darker it will get. My natural hair is medium brown with gray and I have hennaed every 3 or 4 weeks for 5 months and my hair is very very dark with red highlights. I don't know about removing your current dye though, maybe you don't need to? You can henna over dye.

Roscata
January 8th, 2012, 07:16 PM
Try color Oops, it's suppose to lift color without damaging, you can also to an overnight pre-color coconut oiling and use the product on your still oiled hair to further reduce damage and follow the Color Oops treatment with an SMT to condition it in case of any dryness. Good luck! :D

ETA: Black is very difficult to to lift off your hair so it might take a few applications.

jojo
January 8th, 2012, 07:37 PM
Color opps will help shift the black. I wouldnt recommend indigo or henna unless your 100% sure you want to keep this colour.

celebriangel
January 9th, 2012, 11:09 AM
Colour oops/colour B4 might lift your black. The dye will have lightened your hair underneath, though, but you could get it matched to your virgin hair.

Henna + indigo is a great, all-natural way of obtaining black. And if you wanted to eliminate the red shine you could add some veggie dye to your conditioner. However it's VERY PERMANENT.

Please for the love of god stop using Feria though. It is the most hair-frying dye out there. You could try Naturtint dyes instead, and slather your hair in coconut oil beforehand to mitigate damage.

bunnylake
January 9th, 2012, 11:15 AM
Thanks a lot. I have heard that Feria is pretty evil. I only used it once or twice in the past year or so though, so hopefully that's not too awful?

Mommyof4
January 9th, 2012, 11:20 AM
http://www.sallybeauty.com/color-remover/SBS-342350,default,pd.html?cgid=Hair05-10

This "One 'n Only Color Fix" was the gentlest color remover for my hair... I love it. It has a strong sulfur smell, but my hair didn't fry with it and it was a very even lift.

Anje
January 9th, 2012, 12:35 PM
I'll add a vote for Color Fix/Color Oops/Color B4 to try to shift the black, though Feria is reputed to be worse than most for removing.

Henna followed by indigo will give you a deep black. However, that mix should be assumed to be un-removable, as it has a tendency to turn green for those who try. Therefore, only use them if you're committed to the black hair or are willing to grow it out and be two-toned until you're willing to cut the colored hair off.

Velvet Smoke
January 9th, 2012, 12:35 PM
I don't know if you can get it, but in the UK we have "Scott Cornwall Colour B4 Remover". I used it twice in two days a few months ago and it took a lot of dye from my hair. (left a gingery tint though as I had used a lot of red dyes) but I don't think that would be a problem with black dye.
It STINKS though, like rotten eggs! My hair felt dry for a day or so, but after a few days it was back to normal. I don't think it did any lasting damage.

Don't know if this helps but just thought I'd let you know :)

spike316
January 10th, 2012, 04:42 PM
If you're looking for a less permanent option for the black Manic panic is having a big 50% off sale ATM $5 per bottle/pot of color! ^_^