PDA

View Full Version : Should I clarify with baking soda?

Shona
January 8th, 2012, 04:38 PM
Hello all:)
I was hoping to get some peoples opinion on this because clarifying is still a mystery to me no matter how much I read up about on it LHC!
So my hair does get oily at the roots, no problems there. I can live with only washing my hair twice a week without major oily-ness. But my last 3inches of hair is rather dry, the thing is I don't have many/any split ends. This means I could have a build up of some sort? So clarifying with baking soda could be a good thing? I have seen some people say that it baking soda dries their hair out which I am worried about!

I have also watched on YouTube people clarifying there hair and what i gathered is you put a tablespoon of it in a large mug with warm water, and pour it over your head and rub it in, then wash with shampoo and condish? Am i getting it right? Sorry if this has been asked many many times but I have read countless theards about this and can't seem to find out what to do or if I even need to do it! thanks :)

Mina17
January 9th, 2012, 03:25 AM
Anytime your hair doesn't feel quite right it's always worth it to try clarifying. I've had good luck using baking soda to clarify, but some people do say it dries their hair out. I only use a teaspoon in two cups of water though. And make sure you follow it up with an ACV rinse.

ktani
January 9th, 2012, 03:39 AM
Anytime your hair doesn't feel quite right it's always worth it to try clarifying. I've had good luck using baking soda to clarify, but some people do say it dries their hair out. I only use a teaspoon in two cups of water though. And make sure you follow it up with an ACV rinse.

This is a good ratio to start with. And you can use either a well diluted vinegar rinse or a well diluted lemon juice rinse to follow that immediately.

If you are concerned with dryness, Neutrogena Anti Residue Shampoo is milder than Prell in the bottle and it is a very good clarifying shampoo.

An advantage of fully dissolved baking soda in water to clarify with is that you can control how strong you make it so that it is not drying.

jojo
January 9th, 2012, 07:00 AM
Ive found it drying in the past but its only temporary a good DC after will sort it out. Also everybody's hair is different, so what works for one, might not for another.

Have you ever tried a BBB? as you have oily roots, a BBB would be ideal for spreading it down the shaft. Longer hair is more prone to drier ends as the sebum is harder to distribute. Definitely try clarifying and if you still find your ends are dry either a BBB or baby oil, a teeny bit is wonderful, thanks Ktani for sharing this, just read another post of yours about this.

Ktani has a wonderful blog, link in her signature explains about oils and clarifying, well recommended read.

ktani
January 9th, 2012, 07:17 AM
Definitely try clarifying and if you still find your ends are dry either a BBB or baby oil, a teeny bit is wonderful, thanks Ktani for sharing this, just read another post of yours about this.

Ktani has a wonderful blog, link in her signature explains about oils and clarifying, well recommended read.

Thank you jojo. I enjoy your informative posts too.

Glad to hear you found the baby oil helpful.

Amber_Maiden
January 9th, 2012, 07:21 AM
I used baking soda to clarify the ends of my hair, because they felt dry- and it worked! Basking soda is only drying if used in large amounts and if used for a longer period of time and every day.

Lilhypsy
January 9th, 2012, 07:51 AM
I am about to do the clarifying myself! I have the ingredients baking soda and ACV, I've just been perusing around to figure out the best ratio/how to. The thing I'm slightly confused about is if I rinse the ACV with plain water afterwards, or just kind of leave it??

jojo
January 9th, 2012, 07:54 AM
Thank you jojo. I enjoy your informative posts too.

Glad to hear you found the baby oil helpful.

aw thank you:) the baby oil is actually better than serum. I was really amazed as I normally keep away from mineral oil but definitely a keeper. The secret is less is more!:)

ktani
January 9th, 2012, 08:05 AM
aw thank you:) the baby oil is actually better than serum. I was really amazed as I normally keep away from mineral oil but definitely a keeper. The secret is less is more!:)

Yes, it is more moisturizing than serum and no doubt easier to remove than some silicone emulsions.

And you got it - the point of the article I wrote and the recommendation is that with mineral oil less is more. That is the true beauty of it. Moisturization that works harder and lasts longer. It is antistatic as well.

It is inexpensive and cost effective too. A bottle of mineral oil lasts far longer used that way than other products whose ingredients are processed with petrochemicals ETA: and many ingredients are like potassium sorbate. And that is easier on the environment.

white.chocolate
January 9th, 2012, 08:58 AM
You've pretty much got the idea, and there are very useful comments here already. So I just want to add that if you think that b.s. is drying, you can experiment further on with the ratios. The same applies for the acid rinse. Hope it turns out well for you!

swearnsue
January 9th, 2012, 09:20 AM
I've use baking soda to clarify but used about 1/4 tsp to a quart of warm water. I massaged it into my scalp for about a minute or two, then shampooed and conditioned and rinsed with cool/cold vinegar water. It really works good but I only do it about 2 or 3 times a year. You can tell it's working when you are massaging it in you can smell icky stuff coming out of your hair. Gross, I know but then afterwards my hair is so soft and shiny. Let us know how it works out for you.