PDA

View Full Version : What I don't understand about stretching washes...

julliams
January 8th, 2012, 04:01 PM
There are a couple of questions that I have regarding stretching washes that I have developed over the years of being here at LHC.

I personally wash every third day and this works fine for me. I could probably go another day but at this point, third day hair is slightly sore and starting to get itchy.

Every time I manipulate my hair in some way, it gets lankier and lankier. So for example if I have acceptable hair (as in not too greasy a scalp) on day 2, if I sit and run my fingers through it alot or massage my scalp alot, it seems to make it alot greasier quickly and then I really really have to wash it. So for me, the less I handle it the longer I can go without washing it.

Ok so here are 3 methods that I have come across that I have trouble getting my head around:

1. I keep reading that people are using a BBB to help with the greasies. Now here is what I don't understand. If my scalp is greasy and I use a BBB on it, isn't all that grease now going to travel down the hair-shaft and make my hair stick to my head for more than just a cm or so? One of the reasons I don't brush is because I want to manipulate my hair less so that it stays less greasy for longer.

2. I also hear about methods where the person says that they stretching their washes but they are using conditioner or vinegar inbetween washes which involves getting the hair wet. I guess for me "washing" involves getting the hair wet and using something to clean it, so even if I'm just washing with conditioner or vinegar or even just water - that's washing. So I'm a little confused on that. Does it just mean not using shampoo? Would using a Non-sls shampoo just be the key here?

3. And lastly using powdered substances like cornstarch or cocoa to presumably rub onto the scalp to absorb greasiness - doesn't that just result in great lumps of greasy powder balls all through your hair that you now have to brush or shake out meaning that your hair is now greasy and powdery (which is dusty/dirty)?

Ok, so these are the questions that have been travelling around in my head for a while.

Please understand I'm not trying to put these methods down - I just want to understand how they work in practice because when I imagine doing them, I see a bigger mess to deal with.

So if you do any of these things, can you explain how it helps and how your hair feels after using the method - thanks.

jacqueline101
January 8th, 2012, 04:20 PM
I've never done the powders or in between washes with vinegar. I use vinegar when I clarify. I don't know why but my hair took to my washing method once a week. I don't use brushes any more and never owned a bbb.

Madora
January 8th, 2012, 04:21 PM
If your hair tends toward oilness, then yes, the oil will be distributed down your strands when you brush. Might you have an over active sebum producing scalp?

I've never had any problems with oiliness when brushing..but then my hair tends to be a little on the dry side.

As for dry shampoos, cornstarch, etc. I think all the effort you expend to get the stuff out of your hair (and ensuing tangles/detangling involved) far outweighs any benefit you might derive from using these items. Better to find a shampoo that fights the oilies.

Amber_Maiden
January 8th, 2012, 04:27 PM
1. People use BBBs to brush the sebum down the length of hair. It makes your entire length of hair shiny and moisturized.

2. I don't understand that either. That wouldn't be stretching washes to me either.

3. I'm guessing that people brush it out? I have no idea. Never tried it.

Kelikea
January 8th, 2012, 04:29 PM
There are a couple of questions that I have regarding stretching washes that I have developed over the years of being here at LHC.

I personally wash every third day and this works fine for me. I could probably go another day but at this point, third day hair is slightly sore and starting to get itchy.

Yes, this is me, too. I can't stand that sore, itchy feeling, so I wash.

Every time I manipulate my hair in some way, it gets lankier and lankier. So for example if I have acceptable hair (as in not too greasy a scalp) on day 2, if I sit and run my fingers through it alot or massage my scalp alot, it seems to make it alot greasier quickly and then I really really have to wash it. So for me, the less I handle it the longer I can go without washing it.

Yes, fingers in the hair always lead to more greasiness. Try to keep from touching it unless you are actively styling it. Your hair looks similar to mine. Do you try re-wetting it with a spray bottle or with water in your hands to revive the waves on day 2 or 3?

Ok so here are 3 methods that I have come across that I have trouble getting my head around:

1. I keep reading that people are using a BBB to help with the greasies. Now here is what I don't understand. If my scalp is greasy and I use a BBB on it, isn't all that grease now going to travel down the hair-shaft and make my hair stick to my head for more than just a cm or so? One of the reasons I don't brush is because I want to manipulate my hair less so that it stays less greasy for longer.
I think the point of using the BBB to move the sebum and oil down is to help clean the hair shaft and the sebum and oil moisturizes all the way down. It doesn't usually look too greasy when I do this.

2. I also hear about methods where the person says that they stretching their washes but they are using conditioner or vinegar inbetween washes which involves getting the hair wet. I guess for me "washing" involves getting the hair wet and using something to clean it, so even if I'm just washing with conditioner or vinegar or even just water - that's washing. So I'm a little confused on that. Does it just mean not using shampoo? Would using a Non-sls shampoo just be the key here?

This was my question, too. The answers I got led me to believe that if you are soaking your head in the shower with any product, then it is considered washing. If your goal is to cut back specifically on shampoo, that is where the other suggestions come into play.

3. And lastly using powdered substances like cornstarch or cocoa to presumably rub onto the scalp to absorb greasiness - doesn't that just result in great lumps of greasy powder balls all through your hair that you now have to brush or shake out meaning that your hair is now greasy and powdery (which is dusty/dirty)?
I've never had much luck with the powders. Someone else will have to help you on that one.

Ok, so these are the questions that have been travelling around in my head for a while.

Please understand I'm not trying to put these methods down - I just want to understand how they work in practice because when I imagine doing them, I see a bigger mess to deal with.

So if you do any of these things, can you explain how it helps and how your hair feels after using the method - thanks.

Hope this helps!

Gingerbear
January 8th, 2012, 04:31 PM
1. I think the BBB is supposed to help distribute the oils from the scalp area down the shaft. If you have a lot of excessive oil or a waxy buildup, this may not be helpful to you. I use a BBB, and fine my hair does well with it on day 2, but I have the same issue you are describing on day 3 (which is why I was every other day).

2. The "washing" vs "wetting" issue does get confusing. If you are able to go 3 days without wetting your hair, that is probably best because of less manipulation. Some people, however, feel their hair does better wetting it down to distribute the oils or to help keep the wave/curl pattern nice.

3. In my experience, less is more with dry shampoos and hair powders. Just put a light sprinkling in, wait a few minutes for it to absorb the oil, and then brush it out. If you use too much, it can get clumpy, but I think it works well with just a little. I also only apply it to the part and hairline. Hope that helps!

Lissandria
January 8th, 2012, 04:33 PM
Some insight on 2. I think they mean washing/cleaning without shampoo. Personally, I do this if my head is say, really sweaty from my job or exercise ( I tea rinse my scalp or ACV or I CO wash sometimes too) but my hair otherwise wouldn't require shampooing ie it's not greasy or otherwise dirty. It is a method of "washing" so to speak but I guess generally without the friction and harshness of shampoo SLS or otherwise. That's my take on it, anyway. HTH

blondie9912
January 8th, 2012, 04:43 PM
Regarding dry shampoos, I agree, I don't really think that they're worth the effort. I've used them before and my hair just feels..awkward afterwards. Kind of chalky at the top and staticky at the ends, not fluffy and bouncy all over like it does after a washing. I would assume that dry shampoos are more effective for individuals who heat style their hair, because 'wet shampooing' once a week and dry shampooing every 2 days would mean less heat styling and therefore less damage than washing and styling every 2 days.

excentricat
January 8th, 2012, 05:18 PM
If I BBB upside down, the sebum seems to spread out and make my hair less greasy, good for an updo for another day. If I BBB right side up, my hair just plasters it's self to my head. I think it's the difference between each strand getting it's own sebum and the canopy hairs getting all the sebum.
I think if you are wetting your hair daily, you may be stretching shampooing (which may be your goal), but I wouldn't say you are stretching *washes*
In my case, it does tend to clump up on the scalp, getting it out is usually more work than a quick wash of the greasy parts would have been in the first place. I've never used real dry shampoo though, just baby powder/cornstarch/cocoa powder.

torrilin
January 8th, 2012, 05:22 PM
I don't typically use a dry shampoo. But it doesn't work the way you're imagining. No little balls of cornstarch or cocoa powder. Detangle your hair first. If your hair is dark and you use cornstarch, your roots will look greyish. Cocoa powder won't show as much on dark hair. Then you use a boar bristle brush and brush your hair until there's no more powder residue. Then wash off the brush. Figure it'll work out about the same as the classic 100 strokes advice if you use a light colored powder on dark hair.

The obvious downside is that's a lot of brushing, so it won't suit someone who is trying to maintain their waves or curls.

papera
January 8th, 2012, 05:57 PM
I agree with what has been said about brushing your hair with a BBB - it just distributes the sebum through your hair, which keeps them shiny and moisturized. I personally don't like it, as my hair gets then really greasy and sticks to the hair, just like yours.

Regarding the dry shampoo: I've been using the dry shampoo for over a year or so to stretch my washes. I know, some people would say that because the powder absorbs the sebum my hair can't get used to the extended washes, but I really don't like to go out of the house with greasy hair ... on the other side my length just feels better since it gets washed less. I spray a little bit on my fringe, parting and side-head, massage it in, let it absorb the sebum for couple of minutes and then brush it out. It's not like fresh-washed hair and surely not a substitute for the actual washing, but helps to remove the grease and hair just looks fresher and fluffier for the days in between washes. Put hair in a bun and you can't see the grease :D
By the way, it also depends on the branch you use. I made good experience with Batiste dry shampoo (Ireland and UK), but not with others.

Hope that helps!

thecandiedmango
January 8th, 2012, 06:04 PM
RE: dry shampoos: I think they're best for people with shorter hair, both as a means of decreasing oiliness and increasing texture/grip in fine hair. I've never really heard of people with really long hair using them successfully. I've used a teeny bit of powder on my APL-ish hair before---less than half a teaspoon---and brushed the bejeezus out and it works fine, but I don't like the finished texture very much. If my hair looks dirty I'd rather slick it back in an updo or something.

akilina
January 8th, 2012, 06:43 PM
i think with powder if you are getting greasy clumps you have way too much oil and way too much powder. i hardly dust it really. i actually just open up the holes and barely squeeze the bottle and just hardly any kind of poofs out and its perfect and you cant even see the whiteness.
i totally agree though on the washing thing. i think if you are using any substance in your hair to cleanse it that is washing. i dont really consider WO washing though. thats more of like rinsing to me you arent using any chemicals to clean the hair. just your fingers and scalp manipulations

papera
January 8th, 2012, 06:56 PM
haha, I have hip-length hair and getting longer :)

But I guess it just depends what one gets used to and what one prefers ... I also don't use loose powders but sprays, just because they are easier to handle for me.

teela1978
January 8th, 2012, 07:00 PM
Boars bristle brushes - maybe I'm just extra oily? When I use them (brushing upside down or right side up) to spread sebum I just end up even more oily. Instead of having a couple cm of oiliness I have a few inches worth. Not good. I don't do it... ever.

corn starch/dry shampoo type stuff - I don't use this the way other people say they do. I like stick my finger in, use what's stuck on to get a bit of powder on the rest of my fingers and kinda pull it through the oily bits that show. I don't do this often, and usually I have to stick my finger in the box more than once (usually 3-4 applications per de-greasing). Honestly, it looks a bit better, but often I decide it would have been easier/better to just wash it. I never see greasy balls of anything in there, but it does tend to feel a bit funky. Good for a quick fix after work before going out, I usually plan on washing as soon as feasible afterwards though. I just use corn starch, using as little as possible is important for my hair. If I use more and try to brush it out I just end up with whitish powdery hair, not so great.

heidihug
January 8th, 2012, 07:47 PM
I don't use a BBB, it would make my hair oily as it stimulates my hyper-oil producing scalp. I try to keep contact with my scalp at a minimum between washes. Stretching washes is washing every three days to me.

I use a mix of cocoa and talcum powder as a dry shampoo on the second (and occasional third) day after washing. It works just fine for me at 48" as it did when my hair was shorter. I only use it on the first couple inches of my hair. I just brush it out with a vented brush. It's not the best, but better than looking like I've shampooed with oil.

To me a "wash" is when I get my hair wet and use a substance of any sort on it, not just shampoo.

ravenreed
January 8th, 2012, 08:23 PM
I think it's another YMMV thing.

BBB's don't do anything for me but make my hair look greasier. Even if I have just washed, using a BBB makes my hair lank and stringy. I clean mine often so I am certain it isn't from too much oil on the brush. Anyway, I only use them to brush out dry shampoos. Wetting my hair without cleansing it also makes my hair greasier, even if I do an ACV rinse at the time.

I do use powders and dry shampoo. So far I am having good luck with either Batiste spray dry shampoo or using a bit of silk powder. With the silk powder, I use a fluffy face brush to lightly coat my part and fringe areas with a bit of powder. That seems to absorb enough oil without making my hair look powdery. Then I brush it out. I have not had much success with cocoa, cornstarch, or baby powders. They all seem to build up on my scalp and make it all itchy.

caiti42
January 8th, 2012, 09:38 PM
I ❤ dry shampoo.

I'm brunette and I use baby powder or Bastise aerosol dry shampoo. Both wok great. And no, neither leave my hair white or grey. I can co wash them out fine. I also get better volume in my hair from dry shampoo than I do from washing.

Grillz
January 8th, 2012, 09:45 PM
When I use baby powder as dry shampoo I put a little bit into my palm, rub my hands together, and then rub it through at the roots. I have blonde hair so it will only turn my hair grey-ish if I put too much in... and even then, I just need to run the comb through my hair and spread the powder a little more thoroughly. If anything, the nice scent makes me feel fresher. :)

LadyKate
January 8th, 2012, 10:10 PM
Is Batiste dry shampoo available in the US? I have some small cans that my mom brought home from a trip to Canada, but haven't seen it in stores here. I did buy a Tresemme dry aerosol shampoo, but I haven't tried it yet.

ravenreed
January 8th, 2012, 10:57 PM
Yep. I get mine at Sally's Beauty Supply. I have tried several other brands of dry shampoo and like that one the best.

Is Batiste dry shampoo available in the US? I have some small cans that my mom brought home from a trip to Canada, but haven't seen it in stores here. I did buy a Tresemme dry aerosol shampoo, but I haven't tried it yet.

UP Lisa
January 9th, 2012, 01:31 PM
As far as the stretching of washes, in my opinion if you are CO washing, you are washing. And if you are using a dry shampoo, that is also the same as washing. I can't go three days without washing my hair unless I use a dry shampoo on the third day. To me, that means I can only go 2 days.