PDA

View Full Version : Too much trimming?

terylenerose
January 8th, 2012, 09:50 AM
Can somebody help me out here?
I have APL hair with a few layers and am currently growing out dye/bleach. I am trimming out the bleached bottom layer at this point. The problem is that I am afraid that I will want to keep my hair at this length after I have gotten rid of the bleach. I kind of like trimming my hair, but I don't want to end up doing it for the rest of my life.
My belief system is made up of a set of rules, one of which specifies, among other things, that I am not allowed to dye my hair or cut it more than just S&D. I can trim out hair dye, but not virgin hair. I started following this belief system ~2 years ago, but in that time I have cut my hair once and done numerous trims and dye jobs. The cut was so I would have less dye to grow out, or some other convoluted reason, and I think of the dye experiment as a lesson I had to learn, but I'm afraid I will end up cutting my hair again in the near future for no discernible reason. I am my own scissor-happy hairstylist and am not fully present, in a way, when I cut off a lot of hair. I am so attached to it that I have to distance myself a little to cut much off. I am afraid that these trims will distance me further and allow me to do another drastic cut without reason.
Maybe that all sounded really weird, or stupid, but I think it's a lot like those stories of hairdressers that always want to take off 12 inches and never seem to do what you want. The only difference with me is that my hairdresser has to be reminded to just trim, not cut, almost every day. That has changed some, as it has been almost a year since I cut the last time, but I am afraid that the hairdresser (me) will take off too much in the near future.
If anyone has anything to say, I'd be happy to hear it. Advice, support, similar stories, or just whatever.

Madora
January 8th, 2012, 10:28 AM
If at all possible, just limit your trimming to once every 3 months, and S and D in between.

That way, you'll be riding herd on any possible damage and enabling your hair to grow longer.

If you haven't done so already, maybe try some updos and keep your hair up and away from your scissors.

terylenerose
January 8th, 2012, 11:55 AM
If at all possible, just limit your trimming to once every 3 months, and S and D in between.

That way, you'll be riding herd on any possible damage and enabling your hair to grow longer.

If you haven't done so already, maybe try some updos and keep your hair up and away from your scissors.
Good ideas, thanks. I don't know about updos though, the top layer is chin length in front which makes a lot of hairstyles impossible. I can do French braids, which I really like, but that's about it.
I forgot to mention, I was S&Ding but it morphed into trims. It's easier to trim, but you're right, I should S&D as well.
Thanks again! :)

jackgirl
January 11th, 2012, 10:35 AM
I hear you!! I used to have this exact same problem, and I actually resorted to throwing my scissors behind the wardrobe so I couldn't trim! As a result, I had really short hair for years, and it wasn't cut that well either. Then, life got in the way, I stopped obsessing and grew it out to APL, before over colouring, then adding henna, then bleaching henna out, finding Lhc and finally leaving it alone. It's now almost bsl, but terribly split in places and I'm fighting the urge to cut and the urge to grow. I compromised by cutting in layers last week. I love the colour and even the contrast with the roots, which are now almost 5", I just hate the dryness and the condition of the length. When you get the urge to cut, hide your scissors, give yourself a different undo, wash your hair, part it different - anything to resist it that bit longer! If you're anything like me, you want to do it to feel better about yourself, but as you have the fear of cutting, it's not what you really want, so even just giving yourself a makeover or painting your nails might help fill that urge. I actually used to compare my urge to cut as a form of self abuse - I know it's nowhere near as serious, but I did it when I was down to temporarily feel better, and I knew it wouldn't scar and would eventually grow out. Maybe that's a bit drastic compared to what you say, but I understand the bit where you say that you're not fully present :)

jacqueline101
January 11th, 2012, 11:45 AM
I like Madora advice. That's what I did after my last perm to get rid of the damage.

spidermom
January 11th, 2012, 12:16 PM
I would give the scissors to a trusted friend or family member and say "don't let me have this until (insert date)."

jackgirl
January 11th, 2012, 01:40 PM
I would give the scissors to a trusted friend or family member and say "don't let me have this until (insert date)."
That;s probably more sensible than throwing them behind the wardrobe!

Long_hair_bear
January 11th, 2012, 02:08 PM
Can somebody help me out here?
I have APL hair with a few layers and am currently growing out dye/bleach. I am trimming out the bleached bottom layer at this point. The problem is that I am afraid that I will want to keep my hair at this length after I have gotten rid of the bleach. I kind of like trimming my hair, but I don't want to end up doing it for the rest of my life.
My belief system is made up of a set of rules, one of which specifies, among other things, that I am not allowed to dye my hair or cut it more than just S&D. I can trim out hair dye, but not virgin hair. I started following this belief system ~2 years ago, but in that time I have cut my hair once and done numerous trims and dye jobs. The cut was so I would have less dye to grow out, or some other convoluted reason, and I think of the dye experiment as a lesson I had to learn, but I'm afraid I will end up cutting my hair again in the near future for no discernible reason. I am my own scissor-happy hairstylist and am not fully present, in a way, when I cut off a lot of hair. I am so attached to it that I have to distance myself a little to cut much off. I am afraid that these trims will distance me further and allow me to do another drastic cut without reason.
Maybe that all sounded really weird, or stupid, but I think it's a lot like those stories of hairdressers that always want to take off 12 inches and never seem to do what you want. The only difference with me is that my hairdresser has to be reminded to just trim, not cut, almost every day. That has changed some, as it has been almost a year since I cut the last time, but I am afraid that the hairdresser (me) will take off too much in the near future.
If anyone has anything to say, I'd be happy to hear it. Advice, support, similar stories, or just whatever.

You know what I did, and it convinces me every time not to cut my hair? Put a pic up on your desktop or somewhere else you look every day of you in short hair, then next to it, put up a pic of a lady with a gorgeous long mane of hair. Every time I wanna cut mine, usually in the summer, I look at those two pics and I remind myself that no cutting is for the greater good. :D

terylenerose
February 22nd, 2012, 04:51 PM
Haven't looked here in a while, so didn't see all the nice replies! :) Thanks, everyone. I guess this thread isn't in use anymore, but it was nice while it lasted. Just so you know, I would trim every 3 months if it didn't mean cutting off 1.5 inches of hair at once (!). I am maintaining at APL until my bleach grows out, as you know, and I know that when I'm done with that I will just grow to terminal as planned. :) Nothing can stop me now!
I am also trimming with the moon. In my case, that means not trimming when it's waning, as everyone seems to disagree on when the best times are.