PDA

View Full Version : Dry ends salvageable?

Long_hair_bear
January 8th, 2012, 08:27 AM
Howdy do everyone!

My ends are looking somewhat dry at the moment. They aren't really split, just dry. I have a hair appointment tomorrow and need to decide whether or not to trim them off or try to save them. What do you guys think? Are dry ends salvageable?

molly_grue
January 8th, 2012, 08:33 AM
What's the length of the dry parts and how dry are we talking?
If it's just an inch I would trim, but that's just me.

Long_hair_bear
January 8th, 2012, 08:36 AM
What's the length of the dry parts and how dry are we talking?
If it's just an inch I would trim, but that's just me.

Oh maybe half an inch and not crunchy dry, just dry enough that my fingers feel it. Half an inch may not seem like a lot, but it took me a full month to grow that. Also, I have hair trim phobia, so the less scissors, the better. :D

Anywhere
January 8th, 2012, 08:37 AM
MY dry (and damaged..) ends were semi-salvageable. By that I mean I needed to CO wash them every other day to keep the dust/tangles/dryness at bay, but they almost always go back to being dry after a day or two. I kept my dry damaged ends for about a year before beginning to cut them (and the damage) off.

If they're not too bad then keep them, but keep in mind you may need to baby them a lot, and they might be more prone to splits.

But to be honest, I cut off a nice chunk of my dry ends earlier this year (cut over 8" this year), and the ends felt divine. They didn't try to tangle with each other as much as they did when dry. If it's only an inch or so, and you think you could spare it, then I'd say get a trim. It will feel so much healthier.

molly_grue
January 8th, 2012, 08:40 AM
I would trim because I'd be paranoid about potential future splits travelling upwards and causing damage, if my tips were already dry.
I understand not wanting to trim though, and your hair will most likely be fine with TLC.

ktani
January 8th, 2012, 08:42 AM
Howdy do everyone!

My ends are looking somewhat dry at the moment. They aren't really split, just dry. I have a hair appointment tomorrow and need to decide whether or not to trim them off or try to save them. What do you guys think? Are dry ends salvageable?

Yes, they are, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=1932949&postcount=32

If it is build-up too, you may want to clarify first.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=1936730&postcount=2

ETA: Why lose length when there is a very good chance you will not have to do so?

Long_hair_bear
January 8th, 2012, 08:49 AM
Yes, they are, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=1932949&postcount=32

If it is build-up too, you may want to clarify first.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=1936730&postcount=2

I put jojoba oil on my ends every few days, but about two days after the oil, they are dry again. Maybe I should oil more often. :confused:

Lostsoule77
January 8th, 2012, 08:52 AM
Ktani you are amazing! I know this isn't my thread, but thank you for that second link! I have baby oil in my bathroom for my skin (the ingredients say mineral oil & fragrance) and never thought of trying it for my hair. I'm going to clarify and try using some on my hair. How much do you think would be needed for iii TBL hair?

End Hijack.

ETA: Long hair bear, have you tried using coconut oil? I think you should clarify and then try it. I has done wonders for my hair this year and supposedly works really well if you put it on your ends daily or every couple days. :)

ktani
January 8th, 2012, 08:52 AM
I put jojoba oil on my ends every few days, but about two days after the oil, they are dry again. Maybe I should oil more often. :confused:

Jojoba oil is a liquid wax. You have probably overloaded your ends and that is why they are dry.

With mineral oil/white baby oil on damp hair you only need to oil once after each wash and it will work better to hold the extra moisture in your ends.

If jojoba oil worked the same to do that, you would not need to reapply it.

ETA: Vegetable oils do not work as well to hold in extra moisture. http://ktanihairsense.blogspot.com/2011/12/mineral-oil-and-hair-care-and-skin.html

Kelikea
January 8th, 2012, 08:56 AM
If its only 1/2in and you are going for a trim anyway, then that seems an appropriate amount to trim off.

Long_hair_bear
January 8th, 2012, 08:57 AM
Jojoba oil is a liquid wax. You have probably overloaded your ends and that is why they are dry.

With mineral oil/white baby oil on damp hair you only need to oil once after each wash and it will work better to hold the extra moisture in your ends.

If jojoba oil worked the same to do that, you would not need to reapply it.

I dunno. Jojoba oil has always made my hair feel amazing and I've used it for months now. I only ever use alittle bit on my ends and I use it diluted. I may try mineral oil one day. Do you get it in the organic aisle?

ktani
January 8th, 2012, 09:01 AM
I dunno. Jojoba oil has always made my hair feel amazing and I've used it for months now. I only ever use alittle bit on my ends and I use it diluted. I may try mineral oil one day. Do you get it in the organic aisle?

You can buy white baby oil in the baby care isle or unfragranced at any pharmacy. While it is natural it is a petrochemical and it is safe.

You have simply overused the jojoba oil and it built-up. I have used jojoba oil on my hair in the past and it did the same thing for me. I overused it and it made my hair dry.

Hamh
January 8th, 2012, 09:02 AM
All you need normal bog standard baby oil, I use this and it's is what it giving me the softest hair ever!!

Long_hair_bear
January 8th, 2012, 09:05 AM
You can buy white baby oil in the baby care isle or unfragranced at any pharmacy. While is is natural it is a petrochemical and it is safe.

You have simply overused the jojoba oil and it built-up. I have used jojoba oil on my hair in the past and it did the same thing for me. I overused it and it made my hair dry.

Well we do have different hair. :D I've never clarified, not once, because I never knew I should until joining the lhc recently. That might also be the cause. I'm not the only one here who uses jojoba, but I may be inclined to try something else for abit to compare results. :)

oniboni
January 8th, 2012, 09:05 AM
for me extra native olive oil works best on my dry ends.. (one or two drops)

and since i use AO conditioners i dont have to use much of oil..

Long_hair_bear
January 8th, 2012, 09:09 AM
for me extra native olive oil works best on my dry ends.. (one or two drops)

and since i use AO conditioners i dont have to use much of oil..

I love my conditioner. It's made of Shea butter, palm oil, and coconut oil. :D

ktani
January 8th, 2012, 09:10 AM
Ktani you are amazing! I know this isn't my thread, but thank you for that second link! I have baby oil in my bathroom for my skin (the ingredients say mineral oil & fragrance) and never thought of trying it for my hair. I'm going to clarify and try using some on my hair. How much do you think would be needed for iii TBL hair?

I would use as little as possible. Use drops only and see how far they take you. Mineral oil spreads very easily and not much is required. ETA: And you are very welcome.

End Hijack.

ETA: Long hair bear, have you tried using coconut oil? I think you should clarify and then try it. I has done wonders for my hair this year and supposedly works really well if you put it on your ends daily or every couple days. :)

Coconut oil is a wonderful oil. However, used over conditioned hair it cannot penetrate hair and the result is often "crunchy" hair. That is an oil over conditioner result.

Used over clarified hair, coconut oil does not cause that.

Mineral oil can be used over conditioned hair without problems used very lightly. It is not heavy and does not cause the hair to become stringy or greasy.

Any oil used over a lot of build-up will not yield the best results.

Long_hair_bear
January 8th, 2012, 09:13 AM
Coconut oil is a wonderful oil. However, used over conditioned hair it cannot penetrate hair and the result is often "crunchy" hair. That is an oil over conditioner result.

Mineral oil can be used over conditioned hair without problems used very lightly. It is not heavy and does not cause the hair to become stringy or greasy.

How much white baby oil do you use? Just a few drops? Does it need rinsed out or can you leave it in?

ktani
January 8th, 2012, 09:16 AM
How much white baby oil do you use? Just a few drops? Does it need rinsed out or can you leave it in?

I used 2 drops only (very small ones) over catnipped hair to test it. Others have used about 2 drops too. That may vary with hair length and thickness but the idea is to use the least amount necessary. No, you do not rinse it out. Water does not rinse out oil.

Lostsoule77
January 8th, 2012, 09:16 AM

Thank you! I only use coconut oil as a DT before washing so I haven't had any problems with it, just amazing soft hair. :) It's good to know that there is something I can use after washing that can help too. :cheese:

ktani
January 8th, 2012, 09:17 AM
Thank you! I only use coconut oil as a DT before washing so I haven't had any problems with it, just amazing soft hair. :) It's good to know that there is something I can use after washing that can help too. :cheese:

You are very welcome. Use it on damp hair.

ktani
January 8th, 2012, 09:58 AM
Well we do have different hair. :D

That is true. However, from the feedback here, my own results so far (I am not through testing), and those of my friends with different hair types, as well as results in the article I wrote, on skin care, mineral oil holds moisture in hair and skin better than other oils.

The experts in the field of cosmetics agree too that petrolatum and mineral oil, which is much lighter, have not been ETA: equalled - or surpassed for moisturizing abilities by vegetable oils.

Long_hair_bear
January 8th, 2012, 10:17 AM
That is true. However, from the feedback here, my own results so far (I am not through testing), and those of my friends with different hair types, as well as results in the article I wrote, on skin care, mineral oil holds moisture in hair and skin better than other oils.

The experts in the field of cosmetics agree too that petrolatum and mineral oil, which is much lighter, have not been ETA: equalled - or surpassed for moisturizing abilities by vegetable oils.

Still, many on here have had great results with jojoba, coconut, and almond oils. I think it's about finding what your hair likes, not about what the experts say your hair likes. I'm going to experiment with mineral, coconut, and maybe almond oils, one at a time, to see what results I get from what. I will try mineral next. I have tried jojoba for 6 months, so I'll pry try each oil for 6 months to see what results work best for my hair type. Some people swear by coconut oil, saw a thread for it yesterday actually. Others like almond. I'm just going to test all the theories, though I must say, jojoba oil has produced good results. :)

shikara
January 8th, 2012, 10:20 AM
Mineral oil and petrolatum have made me fall in love with my hair all over again, making it much more manageable, soft, and easy to fingercomb. My mineral oil is simply called Mineral Oil and was in around the skin lotions at the drug store. Its very inexpensive. My product with petrolatum is an African Gold product. Mineral oil washes out very easily for me. Its sad to see the posts where someone went to get a certain amount trimmed off but much more is taken, so if you opt for a trim, look her/him in the eye and be very specific about the half inch. Good luck!

http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb328/lmarie29/th_44053aa6.jpg (http://s1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb328/lmarie29/?action=view&current=44053aa6.jpg)

Long_hair_bear
January 8th, 2012, 10:23 AM
Mineral oil and petrolatum have made me fall in love with my hair all over again, making it much more manageable, soft, and easy to fingercomb. My mineral oil is simply called Mineral Oil and was in around the skin lotions at the drug store. Its very inexpensive. My product with petrolatum is an African Gold product. Mineral oil washes out very easily for me. Its sad to see the posts where someone went to get a certain amount trimmed off but much more is taken, so if you opt for a trim, look her/him in the eye and be very specific about the half inch. Good luck!

http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb328/lmarie29/th_44053aa6.jpg (http://s1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb328/lmarie29/?action=view&current=44053aa6.jpg)

Oh I'm not worried. My hair dresser has been my hair dresser for 7 years, and for good reason. She never takes off more than I tell her to. :D I'm going to give mineral oil a go, and I'll let everyone know how it goes.

ktani
January 8th, 2012, 10:31 AM
. I think it's about finding what your hair likes, not about what the experts say your hair likes.

I agree completely.

Good luck!

sazzie88
January 8th, 2012, 12:03 PM
I had the same problm and what solved it was a night of coconut oil and conditioner.

I put conditioner all over my hair first whilst damp and then throught the ends i put coconut oil. When i washed it out in the morning It felt as good as new. But i do S&D freqeuntly

Kapri
January 8th, 2012, 12:48 PM
Hi Ktani,

I have posted this question on the Mineral oil thread too. I thought i might be more likely to catch you here.

I was really interested in what you wrote on this thread about build up following use of conditioners and then coconut oil on top of that etc I am sure that that is what I am experiencing. My ends are dry no matter what. So, I am going to try mineral water. Do you recommend clarifying first? I do find that rather a harsh process and don't want my hair to take too much of a punishment.

Many thanks for your advice,
Kapri

jacqueline101
January 8th, 2012, 01:01 PM
I had a problem with dry ends mine would split off and break. I did a search and destroy of splits, clarified, and then done my normal routine and took cocoa nut oil and put on my ends.

ravenreed
January 8th, 2012, 01:03 PM
It may have something to do with winter weather. My ends are so parched right now. I don't know what your routine is, but I find that if I go more than two days without CO'ing, my ends feel horrible. Oils don't seem nearly as important as getting my hair thoroughly wet and conditioning the heck out of it. Then my ends feel soft and lovely again.

On the subject of oils, it can be really hard to find the right oil for one's hair. I have almost everything. The best up til now was camellia oil, but I just ordered a sample of argan oil from Henna Sooq and I think I am sold on it. My hair feels amazing today, and it really helped with detangling which is a major problem for me. I am glad I ordered the sample to see if I liked it, but I think that I will go ahead and order more.

Howdy do everyone!

ktani
January 8th, 2012, 01:07 PM
Hi Ktani,

I have posted this question on the Mineral oil thread too. I thought i might be more likely to catch you here.

I was really interested in what you wrote on this thread about build up following use of conditioners and then coconut oil on top of that etc I am sure that that is what I am experiencing. My ends are dry no matter what. So, I am going to try mineral water. Do you recommend clarifying first? I do find that rather a harsh process and don't want my hair to take too much of a punishment.

Many thanks for your advice,
Kapri

It depends on when you clarified last and how much conditioner you have used continuously since then.

This winter is appears that a number of people have used more conditioner on their ends than previously, and dry ends have been the result.

Clarifying can help.

You can use a good clarifying shampoo like Neutogena Anti Residue Shampoo, or a not too strong baking soda solution followed by a well diluted lemon juice or vinegar rinse. It is important though to remove the build-up if that is what you have, to help the ends regain moisture.

You can then condition you hair and while it is still damp, use about two drops of mineral oil (the idea is to use it lightly).

Kapri
January 8th, 2012, 01:18 PM
Ktani,

I only clarified recently but may have focused too much on the roots and mid-lengths and only let the foam flow down to the ends...

I have been slathering the ends in a variety of conditioners ..moisturising sprays, pre-wash treatments, jojoba, co etc etc All in an attempt to get the ends to look plumper and happier. I will do as you suggest. I am excited by the prospect of softer, happier ends!

Many thanks!

ktani
January 8th, 2012, 01:21 PM
Ktani,

I only clarified recently but may have focused too much on the roots and mid-lengths and only let the foam flow down to the ends...

I have been slathering the ends in a variety of conditioners ..moisturising sprays, pre-wash treatments, jojoba, co etc etc All in an attempt to get the ends to look plumper and happier. I will do as you suggest. I am excited by the prospect of softer, happier ends!

Many thanks!

It sounds like clarifying may help you then. Good luck! And you are very welcome.

Lady Neeva
January 8th, 2012, 01:51 PM
SMT! SMT!
Since I have my oily scalp condition, my hair was overmoisturized by the second try.

AdrianneJean
January 8th, 2012, 01:59 PM
I put coconut oil on my ends for about 20 minutes before a shower and my ends are getting healthier and silkier by the minute. :)

allycat
January 8th, 2012, 02:13 PM
ktani, bless your heart! I gave up on coconut oil because it made my ends crunchy. Olive oil was working a little bit better, but I just read your post about clarifying and not conditioning before application of coconut oil on damp ends, and it's amazing! My ends are like silk now. Wild!

Just when you think you've tried everything :)

Hamh
January 8th, 2012, 02:31 PM

This is exactly how I felt - back in love!! Glad you got the same results as me, soft soft soft!!

ktani, bless your heart! I gave up on coconut oil because it made my ends crunchy. Olive oil was working a little bit better, but I just read your post about clarifying and not conditioning before application of coconut oil on damp ends, and it's amazing! My ends are like silk now. Wild!

Just when you think you've tried everything :)

Ktani has been such a support to me recently and alone has made me not want to chop into my hair to recify problems that just weren't there. What a gem! :flowers:

ktani
January 8th, 2012, 03:18 PM
Thank you so much alleycat and Hamh!

On clarified hair coconut oil can penetrate partially with no heat and with heat deeply. ETA:2 unless it is used in shampoo with no barrier coatings and on hair that has been clarified.

As a treatment on clarified hair you can oil damp hair lightly, cover it with a plastic bag and then use a blow dryer on medium heat for 5 minutes.

I was not looking for or at information on mineral oil. I was researching moisture loss and low humidity.

The early study in the article and my blog covers both and gave me information on static, the other complaint here about hair (aside from dryness), this winter. ETA: The study does not mention static but it prompted me to check out how mineral oil is classified cosmetically.

Coconut oil, avocado oil and jojoba oils while great oils are not cosmetically classified as antistatic agents. Mineral oil is so classified.

And in the study so little mineral oil was needed to be effective on skin. So, ....

My friends are thrilled with mineral oil used this way too.

proo
January 8th, 2012, 04:08 PM
Will mineral oil work on clarified hair with no conditioner?
My ends are in great shape, not a big conditioner fan.

ktani
January 8th, 2012, 04:15 PM
Will mineral oil work on clarified hair with no conditioner?
My ends are in great shape, not a big conditioner fan.

Yes. A few of my friends now use it that way. Others use it over conditioned hair.

And here
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=1897730&postcount=45

and
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=1930777&postcount=18

Trish in SC
January 8th, 2012, 06:18 PM
Ktani ~ Hi there, just have more questions about the oil vs. mineral oil:

1. I've read that coconut & olive oil are the best to penetrate into the hair. Is this true? Or, does that effect only take place if there are no barriers to penetration, ie: build-up, cones, waxes.

2. Is mineral oil more superior in the way it moisturizes the hair and penetrates the cuticle?

3. Is mineral oil best used by itself, or paired with a conditioner? Or, perhaps, mixed into a conditioner?

4. Does mineral oil build up on hair, and then need to be clarified out?

** Thanks for answering. Just trying to sort out all the information, as always, so that I can improve my hair -- especially the dry ends that so many of us seem to struggle with! **

ktani
January 8th, 2012, 06:35 PM
Ktani ~ Hi there, just have more questions about the oil vs. mineral oil:

1. I've read that coconut & olive oil are the best to penetrate into the hair. Is this true? Or, does that effect only take place if there are no barriers to penetration, ie: build-up, cones, waxes.

Olive oil can only partially penetrate hair, even with heat and yes, any oil can only penetrate hair with no barrier coatings on it ETA:2 and not mixed with barrier coatings like conditioner or shea butter.

2. Is mineral oil more superior in the way it moisturizes the hair and penetrates the cuticle?

Oils can diffuse somewhat into the cuticle but mineral oil cannot penetrate hair deeper than that. Its moisturization comes from its structure and it being a surface oil - unique in not clogging pores or being an irritant, not being greasy when used lightly, and it is an antistatic agent. It is also odourless when unfragranced and colorless.

3. Is mineral oil best used by itself, or paired with a conditioner? Or, perhaps, mixed into a conditioner?

That is preference and depends on the hair. I used it over catnipped hair for one set of tests. You can use it on is own or over conditioned hair. I would not mix it with anything. ETA: The less added coatings on the hair that are not necessary the better, in my opinion and mineral oil alone washes out of the hair easier than conditioner. I was able to return to using catnip alone again the next wash, as if I had not used mineral oil at all.

4. Does mineral oil build up on hair, and then need to be clarified out?

It should not used lightly. That is the whole point of my article. It is not necessary to use it heavily at all. And from my experience with it and those of others here, it washes out of the hair easily. Drying vegetable oils become resinous on exposure to oxygen and can require repeated clarifying.

I knew that mineral oil washes out easily from having used conditioners with it in them in the past too. The presence of mineral oil did not make them any more difficult to wash out eventually (I do not clarify as what I use now does not require it) and back then I just stopped using what did build-up - any conditioner - and let my shampoo wash it out gradually.

By comparison - it took ages for linden flower tea and its mucilage to gradually wash out of my hair and my shower curtain!!!! after I stopped using it.

** Thanks for answering. Just trying to sort out all the information, as always, so that I can improve my hair -- especially the dry ends that so many of us seem to struggle with! **

And you are very welcome.

ktani
January 8th, 2012, 08:07 PM
I applied the mineral oil to my fingers and finger combed but I was aiming to use it throughout my hair for my test.

For those who have used mineral oil successfully as well, application techniques with the drops please? (I had a pm on the subject).

einna
January 8th, 2012, 08:20 PM
Ktani: Can mineral oil be washed out of hair with the CO method, or even a diluted,mild, SLS free shampoo? I have been avoiding mineral oil after reading bad things about it, but you make a good case. Thanks. :)

ktani
January 8th, 2012, 08:35 PM
Ktani: Can mineral oil be washed out of hair with the CO method, or even a diluted,mild, SLS free shampoo? I have been avoiding mineral oil after reading bad things about it, but you make a good case. Thanks. :)

I see no reason why not. With what I suggest the amount used is very small.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with using mineral oil and it has more than a few advantages over other oils.

einna
January 8th, 2012, 08:53 PM
I see no reason why not. With what I suggest the amount used is very small.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with using mineral oil and it has more than a few advantages over other oils.

Thanks ktani! I will start reading up on this very soon! This is also good news for me, because it means I can still use the Joico K-pak reconstructor, that has some mineral oil in it!

ktani
January 8th, 2012, 08:56 PM
Thanks ktani! I will start reading up on this very soon! This is also good news for me, because it means I can still use the Joico K-pak reconstructor, that has some mineral oil in it!

It is in there for a good reason and you are very welcome.

blondie9912
January 8th, 2012, 11:02 PM
MY dry (and damaged..) ends were semi-salvageable. By that I mean I needed to CO wash them every other day to keep the dust/tangles/dryness at bay, but they almost always go back to being dry after a day or two. I kept my dry damaged ends for about a year before beginning to cut them (and the damage) off.

If they're not too bad then keep them, but keep in mind you may need to baby them a lot, and they might be more prone to splits.

But to be honest, I cut off a nice chunk of my dry ends earlier this year (cut over 8" this year), and the ends felt divine. They didn't try to tangle with each other as much as they did when dry. If it's only an inch or so, and you think you could spare it, then I'd say get a trim. It will feel so much healthier.

I agree completely. You might be able to make them feel nice temporarily, but who wants to worry about that all the time? I would cut my losses and get a trim, if I were you (pun intended :p)

Hamh
January 9th, 2012, 03:28 AM
I applied the mineral oil to my fingers and finger combed but I was aiming to use it throughout my hair for my test.

For those who have used mineral oil successfully as well, application techniques with the drops please? (I had a pm on the subject).

I just rub 2 drops over my palms and fingers and then work through hair with hands, wide tooth comb after then leave to dry HTH.

Kapri
January 9th, 2012, 07:51 AM
Hi Ktani and all,

I have just clarified my over co'd, over conditioned , confused and still, perplexingly, dry hair.

I the used an ordinary conditioner, rinsed it out and added a couple of drops of baby oil to sopping wet ends. In other words the oil was very dilute indeed.

I then smoothed another drop onto my palm when it was damp and smoothed some of that onto the lower lengths and ends.

My hair is currently drying with more of an s-bend in the mid-lengths and ends than usual. I am delighted with the temporary s-bend. It is a nice effect. It will drop out when the hair is dry but lovely to see it looking bendier than usual!

ktani
January 9th, 2012, 08:12 AM
Hi Ktani and all,

I have just clarified my over co'd, over conditioned , confused and still, perplexingly, dry hair.

I the used an ordinary conditioner, rinsed it out and added a couple of drops of baby oil to sopping wet ends. In other words the oil was very dilute indeed.

I then smoothed another drop onto my palm when it was damp and smoothed some of that onto the lower lengths and ends.

My hair is currently drying with more of an s-bend in the mid-lengths and ends than usual. I am delighted with the temporary s-bend. It is a nice effect. It will drop out when the hair is dry but lovely to see it looking bendier than usual!

Water does not dilute oil. However, it is the end result that counts. You can just use the oil on damp hair.

I await the final results. Glad to hear things sound good so far!

Kapri
January 9th, 2012, 09:08 AM
Well, Ktani. My ends are softer..especially at the front where I reapplied the extra drop of baby oil. My hair has also retained some 'bend' which is unusual. I will let you know after a day or so because that is when any early effects of a given treatment evaporate and I am left with the usual dry ends. At the moment, it is promising, if not dramatic. Also, it follows a clarifying shampoo which is drying so my guess is that next time I do this the results will be more marked.

I will continue to update! Thank you as ever Ktani.

ktani
January 9th, 2012, 09:17 AM
Well, Ktani. My ends are softer..especially at the front where I reapplied the extra drop of baby oil. My hair has also retained some 'bend' which is unusual. I will let you know after a day or so because that is when any early effects of a given treatment evaporate and I am left with the usual dry ends. At the moment, it is promising, if not dramatic. Also, it follows a clarifying shampoo which is drying so my guess is that next time I do this the results will be more marked.

I will continue to update! Thank you as ever Ktani.

You are very welcome. The wet and damp hair moisture (water) should be held in more by the mineral oil to not evaporate like previous methods used to soften your ends.

If you continue to use less heavy coatings, things should improve and you should not need to clarify again for a good while. The mineral oil should simply wash out with your next shampoo.

Kapri
January 9th, 2012, 09:24 AM
Oh good! Ktani , I am so pleased that things will probably get even better. I have noted too that mineral oil should wash out.Hoorah.

Oh ... I do have a question re washing out. I don't wash the ends directly with shampoo but allow the foam to trickle down. Do I need to apply shampoo directly to the ends now that I am using mineral oil?

ktani
January 9th, 2012, 09:30 AM
Oh good! Ktani , I am so pleased that things will probably get even better. I have noted too that mineral oil should wash out.Hoorah.

Oh ... I do have a question re washing out. I don't wash the ends directly with shampoo but allow the foam to trickle down. Do I need to apply shampoo directly to the ends now that I am using mineral oil?

That was a key part of the problem and why the build-up was so bad.

I apply my shampoo to my scalp, lather it up and squeeze the lather through the length. I do not add more shampoo to the ends unless I have really used too much catnip.

However, my length and ends do get washed with shampoo that way.

While shampoo does not remove conditioner completely, it does help to remove some each time. That reduces total build-up unless the amount of conditioner used is too much.

Yes, you need to remove the mineral oil with shampoo. You do not need much to do that though. "Trickling" is not enough.

ETA: The mineral oil can also be removed with conditioner only washing. However, considering your build-up issues - I would continue to just shampoo and use a lighter conditioner, then the baby oil drops on damp hair - for now anyway.

Kapri
January 9th, 2012, 10:08 AM
Ktani,

That makes perfect sense! Thank you.

You will not believe how bendy my hair still is having dried! It looks pretty. I always thought there was a hint of curl when it was wet but the bends usually drop out when it is dry. I am quite excited to see how my hair improves following your lighter regime. It looks like I've done it deliberately or been to the hairdressers!

You are a star! I do appreciate this advice.

ktani
January 9th, 2012, 10:12 AM
Ktani,

You will not believe how bendy my hair still is having dried! It looks pretty. I always thought there was a hint of curl when it was wet but the bends usually drop out when it is dry. I am quite excited to see how my hair improves following your lighter regime. It looks like I've done it deliberately or been to the hairdressers!

You are very welcome.

I am glad but not surprised given results so far from others, that you are seeing positive results too, right from the start.

Understanding what causes a problem makes finding solutions easier.

Hamh
January 9th, 2012, 11:48 AM
Ktani,

This sounds familiar from my experiences which I posted results on (dry cold climate advice thread). I am new to mineral oil after a suggestion from Ktani to try it out and this is exactly the result I get, hairdresser hair with no blowdryer!! I just wait until mostly dry with the oil applied and put a top bun in before bed with spin pins. The result is bounce and softness I have not had for years and definitely have not experienced without products and heat.

Glad you are getting the same fantastic results as me, really puts a smile on your face doesn't it!! :D

Long_hair_bear
January 9th, 2012, 11:58 AM
Good news everyone! Well three pieces of it actually! My hairdresser (of whom I trust very much with my precious hair) said today at my appointment that my ends did not need trimmed and pry wouldn't need it for another 4 months! :joy: Piece number two, we dyed my hair back it's normal color and it came out just the right shade, meaning I'll never have to dye again. Piece number three, my hair dresser used a clarifying poo on my hair the a deep condish. My hair now feels better and less gucky! :joy: I'm the happiest about not needing a trim though! :D *shudder* scissors :run:

Kapri
January 9th, 2012, 12:13 PM
This sounds familiar from my experiences which I posted results on (dry cold climate advice thread). I am new to mineral oil after a suggestion from Ktani to try it out and this is exactly the result I get, hairdresser hair with no blowdryer!! I just wait until mostly dry with the oil applied and put a top bun in before bed with spin pins. The result is bounce and softness I have not had for years and definitely have not experienced without products and heat.

Glad you are getting the same fantastic results as me, really puts a smile on your face doesn't it!! :D

Hi Hamh, I didn't know you had had the same experience! How nice to hear from you. I know I have not touched the blow dryer tonight and am amazed. I have now combed through the hair and finger curled the ends under because I have a work meeting tomorrow and my slightly bendy hair might be looking a) less bendy tomorrow and b) too informal!

I will check out the discussion where you originally discussed this!

Kapri

Kapri
January 9th, 2012, 12:14 PM
Long Hair Bear,

I would be delighted too in your position! Great news!

ktani
January 9th, 2012, 12:49 PM
Good news everyone! Well three pieces of it actually! My hairdresser (of whom I trust very much with my precious hair) said today at my appointment that my ends did not need trimmed and pry wouldn't need it for another 4 months! :joy: Piece number two, we dyed my hair back it's normal color and it came out just the right shade, meaning I'll never have to dye again. Piece number three, my hair dresser used a clarifying poo on my hair the a deep condish. My hair now feels better and less gucky! :joy: I'm the happiest about not needing a trim though! :D *shudder* scissors :run:

Fantastic news - all of it!

blondie9912
January 9th, 2012, 02:28 PM
Ktani! As a result of your suggestion, I applied a tiny drop of mineral oil (didn't have baby) to my hair last night when it was damp after washing, and today my hair feels SO much better! It has this flex and bend to it that I've never experienced with other oils. Thank you so much for the suggestion! It truly is a treasure to have someone as knowledgeable as you in this community :flower:

ktani
January 9th, 2012, 02:35 PM
Ktani! As a result of your suggestion, I applied a tiny drop of mineral oil (didn't have baby) to my hair last night when it was damp after washing, and today my hair feels SO much better! It has this flex and bend to it that I've never experienced with other oils. Thank you so much for the suggestion! It truly is a treasure to have someone as knowledgeable as you in this community :flower:

Thank you so much!

It is amazing what such a small amount of mineral oil can do what other oils cannot ETA: do for hair!

Dark Rapunzel
January 9th, 2012, 03:21 PM
My ends used to be pretty fried until I started doing daily or every-other-day coconut oil (or other oil if coconut doesn,t work for you) treatemnts on them...that worked for me :)

Lostsoule77
January 10th, 2012, 06:46 PM
Long hair bear that is great news!

jojo
January 10th, 2012, 08:20 PM
I am falling in love with baby oil, I use it like a serum, only a drop and then another drop which I put on the ends. My ends have come back to life again, its not greasy as long as you dont use a lot and it makes my hair incredibly soft and shiny!

ETA= it washes out with no problem, a warning to dyed people it may fade dye quicker. My water runs brown when rinsing, which I don't mind as I am stopping dying to allow my silvers through but it may be problematic for those wanting to keep their colour rich.

snowfaery
January 10th, 2012, 10:59 PM
Perfect day for me to see this, the last 3 inches of my hair are looking insanely dry/splitting and feel that way too. I have henna ordered so I need to get my hair in the best shape possible so it colors in evenly. I've been doing coconut oil for about 2 weeks now and there is some improvement but it's really only improving the hair that is already in great shape not the hair that needs help. I think I still have some baby oil that I can try and use tomorrow after clarifying my hair. I haven't clarified in a little over a month I think.

Right now my pattern is cwc my hair and then use gf triple nutrition spray on it. The next night I get my hair damp and use coconut oil heavily, do a cwc in the morning and then MN. I let that sit on my hair for just under 48 hours before getting it damp again and using coconut oil again overnight, restart pattern. I don't know how well its working but I plan on dying my hair using henna by the end of the month so I need to get it in tip top shape as soon as I can and as affordable as I can.

Kapri
January 10th, 2012, 11:26 PM
Jojo,

I am going to have to keep it for the ends in that case - or perhaps the lower mid-lengths. I don't want to lose too much colour. My hair is a light brown/rich dark blonde at the moment.

It is good news though isn't it?

Kapri

Hamh
January 11th, 2012, 12:10 AM
[QUOTE=jojo;1945893]I am falling in love with baby oil, I use it like a serum, only a drop and then another drop which I put on the ends. My ends have come back to life again, its not greasy as long as you dont use a lot and it makes my hair incredibly soft and shiny!

I love it too! Nothing has made such an impact on my hair and it's so simple! Glad others are getting the same results as me.

MonaLisa
January 11th, 2012, 01:13 AM
I envy you a little bit for having such stylist :)
Great news!
Just saw this thread and to answer the original question, I think dryness is totally fixable :)

ktani
January 11th, 2012, 03:32 AM
I am falling in love with baby oil, I use it like a serum, only a drop and then another drop which I put on the ends. My ends have come back to life again, its not greasy as long as you dont use a lot and it makes my hair incredibly soft and shiny!

ETA= it washes out with no problem, a warning to dyed people it may fade dye quicker. My water runs brown when rinsing, which I don't mind as I am stopping dying to allow my silvers through but it may be problematic for those wanting to keep their colour rich.

I cannot see why or how it can fade hair dye. I know it is recommened online to remove henna and does not and just about every oil including olive oil and coconut oil are "supposed" to help remove hair dye but do not.

I am not disputing that you are losing some colour, just the cause.

ETA: While researching the fear that coconut oil shampoo would cause colour fade on dyed hair (it had the opposite effect both used both as a pre-treatment before dyeing hair and in oil shampoo, it increased dye uptake and improved dye retention ETA:3 in a pre-treatment because it chelates iron and copper, something supported by P&G research on chelating copper and its effect on dye retention) I found no references to any oil being the cause of hair dye fade ETA:4 used straight or on its own.

Coconut oil shampoo and hair dye, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=1346266&postcount=406

Factors in hair colour fade, http://www.pgbeautygroomingscience.com/hair-color-explored.html

Reports of pre-treatment with coconut oil that include hair dye uptake being improved, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=705875&postcount=1051

ETA:2 Used as a boosters in honey lightening both extra virgin oilive oil and coconut oil can help but mineral oil has no peroxide value. It does not oxidize or go rancid.

Neither coconut oil nor olive oil have been reported to lighten hair used straight as grooming aids.

ktani
January 11th, 2012, 06:02 AM
Catnip stain is not difficult to remove. Some of it washes out with each shampoo and I reapply the catnip as a colour/conditioning treatment after each wash.

My first mineral oil/white baby oil test was to see how the drops worked over catnipped hair. As I said, there was no greasiness, stickiness, or stringiness. When I washed my hair and went back to catnip alone, there was no difference in my hair - and no catnip stain loss that I had to make up for with extra catnip.

ETA: The other thing I did notice with the drops (my hair is not dry with catnip) is that I did have a bit more volume and my waves were just as well defined. I was not expecting any huge changes. My hair has volume and defined waves without mineral oil. I am looking for a possible alternative if rushed and cannot use catnip. Unfortunately, mineral oil cannot replace catnip colour.

snowfaery
January 14th, 2012, 07:41 PM
Finally glad I found a use for all the baby oil I was given when I had my son. It's working wonders on my dry ends and the dry hair as well. I may actually have my hair in henna ready shape by the end of the month if it keeps working the way it seems to be after a week.

Long_hair_bear
January 14th, 2012, 09:10 PM
Finally glad I found a use for all the baby oil I was given when I had my son. It's working wonders on my dry ends and the dry hair as well. I may actually have my hair in henna ready shape by the end of the month if it keeps working the way it seems to be after a week.

Ya, it has worked wonders for my ends also. Mine were so dry I was considering getting them trimmed off, thinking they were beyond repair. Now, my ends are no longer dry due to mineral oil, so no trim needed for maybe for another 4 months! Last time I had a trim was the end of October. :D

ktani
January 14th, 2012, 10:48 PM
I am thrilled for both of you!

Such a small amount of something so simple and it works so well.

snowfaery
January 14th, 2012, 11:16 PM
Such a small amount of something so simple and it works so well.

Well it's not a small amount, I think I use about 3 or 4 tbsp of the oil. But compared to the 1/3 cup of coconut oil I use 3 times a week, it's a lot less and much more affordable as I have 5 bottles of baby oil from 6 years ago.

ktani
January 14th, 2012, 11:24 PM
Well it's not a small amount, I think I use about 3 or 4 tbsp of the oil. But compared to the 1/3 cup of coconut oil I use 3 times a week, it's a lot less and much more affordable as I have 5 bottles of baby oil from 6 years ago.

If that amount is working for you, great. I used less than 3 drops recently and it was more than enough.

Mineral oil washes out easily enough. I wish you well with it.

B-L
January 15th, 2012, 05:45 AM
I have had some problems with dry ends too. They are not split and I can't see any with spots.. But they do feel crunchy.. I'm using coconut oil. Did not know that it could be just that! :o

I live in Sweden so I don't know what you all mean by white baby oil.. Is that just ordinary baby oil or some special kind??

B-L
January 15th, 2012, 05:46 AM
Sorry! I mean *white spots :D

ktani
January 15th, 2012, 05:54 AM
I have had some problems with dry ends too. They are not split and I can't see any with spots.. But they do feel crunchy.. I'm using coconut oil. Did not know that it could be just that! :o

I live in Sweden so I don't know what you all mean by white baby oil.. Is that just ordinary baby oil or some special kind??

Sorry about that. I just edited that in the article when I updated. Someone else had a problem with the description too. Mineral oil is also called "white oil". It just means clear, no colour. "Ordinary baby oil" is ETA: pure cosmetic mineral oil.

B-L
January 15th, 2012, 06:15 AM
Sorry about that. I just edited that in the article when I updated. Someone else had a problem with the description too. Mineral oil is also called "white oil". It just means clear, no colour. "Ordinary baby oil" is ETA: pure cosmetic mineral oil.

Ok! Tnx :)

ktani
January 15th, 2012, 06:17 AM
Ok! Tnx :)

You are very welcome.