PDA

View Full Version : I need encouragement to trim my own hair

Renate
January 8th, 2012, 06:27 AM
I'm dead scared to trim my own hair.

Right now it is the longest I've ever had, but the ends need a little trim in order to grow healthy. You know when you fingercomb your hair and those very last 2 centimeters are slightly tangled without having any real tangles? I'm scared the hairdresser will cut more than I ask.

I spent hours watching videos on youtube and have read Feye's Method hundreds of times.

Today I'm going shopping for hair scissors but I'm so afraid I'll mess up my straight hemline (my hair grows even). I like it straight.

The only time I cut my hair I was a retarded 13 year old and cut a piece of hair on the front to make a fringe but I cut to much and spent the next months with a piece of hair half way my forehead, my school picture that year was with that hair piece showing :p:(

Please, those who trim their hair themselves, please tell me your stories, if it works well, if it is easy to mess up, if you never had any problems with it...

Also, I intent to trim my hair while it's wet. Is that ok?

Please encourage me :(

Jayce
January 8th, 2012, 07:51 AM
I was nervous too! At least until I got the first one trim over with :) I think I trimmed barely 1/8 of an inch and sighed a big sigh of relief when it wasn't all ruined! Now, I regularly trim without a second thought.

Buy good scissors, take your time and remember - it's better to trim a tiny bit and then go back and trim a little more. When learning, a big cut can be a big risk.

jacqueline101
January 8th, 2012, 07:58 AM
I agree take your time. I'd also get something you could use a straight line. That way your hair doesn't come out crooked.

Lostsoule77
January 8th, 2012, 08:07 AM
I trimmed using Feye's method and got good results. If you're trimming when wet just remember that when dry it might shrink a bit more. If you follow the directions and remember less is more you should be ok. :)

Renate
January 8th, 2012, 12:24 PM
More stories, anyone?

I was nervous too! At least until I got the first one trim over with I think I trimmed barely 1/8 of an inch and sighed a big sigh of relief when it wasn't all ruined! Now, I regularly trim without a second thought.

Buy good scissors, take your time and remember - it's better to trim a tiny bit and then go back and trim a little more. When learning, a big cut can be a big risk.

You are right, I'll trim just a 1/4" and then see if it's alright. My hair doesn't actually need a trim, but I know damage travels fast and I don't want to cut more when it's longer. It is better to trim a tiny bit now.

I agree take your time. I'd also get something you could use a straight line. That way your hair doesn't come out crooked.

What could I use as a straight line? You mean, use a top with stripes, for example?

I trimmed using Feye's method and got good results. If you're trimming when wet just remember that when dry it might shrink a bit more. If you follow the directions and remember less is more you should be ok. :)

You are right, I'll wash my hair (it has braid waves right now) and when it dries, I'll cut it :)

Thank you :)

manderly
January 8th, 2012, 12:37 PM
Don't trim wet - much easier dry.

Small trims. Don't cut too much too fast, little bits.

Feye's is actually quite fabulous and maintains a great hemline :) Good luck!

Lostsoule77
January 8th, 2012, 01:37 PM
More stories, anyone?

You are right, I'll trim just a 1/4" and then see if it's alright. My hair doesn't actually need a trim, but I know damage travels fast and I don't want to cut more when it's longer. It is better to trim a tiny bit now.

What could I use as a straight line? You mean, use a top with stripes, for example?

You are right, I'll wash my hair (it has braid waves right now) and when it dries, I'll cut it :)

Thank you :)

You are welcome. If you are trimming for 1/4" try starting with 1/8" first. Then if you need to fix it or trim more you should end up only taking off that 1/4". If you take off 1/4" first you could, in the end, take of 1/2" or more. Good luck!

PennyLaneDream
January 8th, 2012, 01:42 PM
I was so hesitant at first but now I find it so fun! Honestly I think it's pretty hard to mess up as long as you are being careful. Oh and I trim my hair when it's slightly damp but thats just because my hair is all over the place when its dry :p Have fun and good luck!

Pazita!
January 8th, 2012, 03:06 PM
I was really scared the first time I did it, but it turned out great, the best advice I can give you is to take your time and cut just a bit and if you like it you can cut more, also buy good scissors. At first I would only trim my hair, now I even cut it in layers and it turn out great, I uses this tutorial recently and I loved it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sI8PFCEwm6E, before I used to use this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pyo7DXKT3lg&feature=fvsr (I avoided straightening my hair).

Renate
January 8th, 2012, 04:12 PM
I just did it! I'm so happy! I'll start a new thread because I want to show off my pretty shiny ends and because I'm so proud of myself! :D

tokitoki
March 20th, 2012, 08:53 PM
Hooray! reading this thread was the boost I needed to trim my own hair (I just did it!). I'm not convinced it's super even, but I have wavy/curly hair so no one will be the wiser. I cut off about an inch and a half because the ends were tangling a lot. I cut it damp so I'm not positive how much shorter it will feel but I'm just relieved to have done it after spending so much time thinking about it!
Thanks!

camillacamilla
March 20th, 2012, 09:01 PM
I've used Feye's method for YEARS..It's pretty much foolproof as long as you follow thw directions. Never had a bad cut since I started doing it myself, which is something I can't say about going to the salon.

Diamond.Eyes
March 20th, 2012, 09:06 PM
I've been trimming my own hair for the most part for about 2 years. Once you get the hang of it, it's incredibly easy. Just make sure the sections of hair you trim off are even with the rest of your hair. Also, be consistent and take the same amount off of every section that you take. Remember that it's just a trim and know your measurements before you begin. Know exactly how much you want off and make sure you aren't cutting too much off or that you aren't using blunt shears. I hope this helps. :)

tokitoki
March 20th, 2012, 09:19 PM
I've been trimming my own hair for the most part for about 2 years. Once you get the hang of it, it's incredibly easy. Just make sure the sections of hair you trim off are even with the rest of your hair. Also, be consistent and take the same amount off of every section that you take. Remember that it's just a trim and know your measurements before you begin. Know exactly how much you want off and make sure you aren't cutting too much off or that you aren't using blunt shears. I hope this helps. :)

Diamond.Eyes, I just can't get over how pretty you, your hair, and your hair color are. I think red hair is just the prettiest, the way it catches light is just so amazing! And you have such a great color! Sorry for being a creepy fangirl but I just had to gush :crush:.