PDA

View Full Version : Noticably thinner patch of hair

same_as
January 8th, 2012, 05:21 AM
I freaked out tonight after washing olive oil out of my hair. The patch of hair above my forehead has become noticeably thinner. I'm not sure how or when exactly it happened, but I can see my scalp underneath the hair, and it's creeping me out. I talked to my mum and we're going to the doctors as soon as we can. Know it sound like I'm over-reacting a bit, but my hair is just really important to me. I have had some thinning in the past due to stress, and when I was only about four I did loose some hair in around the same section. What should I do? I'm really worried, I'm going to stop all treatments that I've been doing, and depending on how soon the doctors appointment is I'm going to stop washing it as well, in case the shampoo or conditioner I'm using is contributing.

Does anyone have any ideas on what could be causing this problem, or how I can try and fix it?

ktno1
January 8th, 2012, 05:26 AM
I would cut out any treatments you've started recently to try and isolate the problem. Remember that it may also be medical and have absolutely nothing to do with what you're putting in your hair. The best thing you can do is try not to stress too much, that will only make things worse.

Try to stay calm, which of course is easier said than done. Stay strong, love.

ktani
January 8th, 2012, 05:37 AM
Definitely keep the doctor's appointment.

However, oils can leave the hair looking thinner as well as over conditioning, if there is build-up that overloads the hair shaft. It may just be that the section is appearing to look thinner.

When my hair is wet, it looks thinner. I can see my scalp through the hair. As soon as it is damp or dry my hair looks full again and I cannot see my scalp through the hair ETA: because my hair is no longer saturated with water. It is the same idea. Your hair just may be saturated with the products you have used. If so, clarifying your hair should help in the meantime and then use less product, including the oil. Olive oil can be heavy if overused.

same_as
January 8th, 2012, 05:54 AM
Definitely keep the doctor's appointment.

However, oils can leave the hair looking thinner as well as over conditioning, if there is build-up that overloads the hair shaft. It may just be that the section is appearing to look thinner.

When my hair is wet, it looks thinner. I can see my scalp through the hair. As soon as it is damp or dry my hair looks full again and I cannot see my scalp through the hair.

I see what you mean, however, if I run my fingers through this patch, and a thicker part in the back of my head I can actually feel the difference. For the moment I'm going try and focus on other things, but it's hard when it's so obvious :(

Thanks to both of you for supportive comments, I hope it's something I can fix.

ktani
January 8th, 2012, 06:07 AM
I see what you mean, however, if I run my fingers through this patch, and a thicker part in the back of my head I can actually feel the difference. For the moment I'm going try and focus on other things, but it's hard when it's so obvious :(

Thanks to both of you for supportive comments, I hope it's something I can fix.

You are very welcome.

Another thing to consider is how tightly you do an updo. It may be that the traction or tightness is pulling the delicate roots there too tight and that may be contributing to any hair loss.

same_as
January 8th, 2012, 06:10 AM
My hair is actually really short, about 2.5-3 inches, and I've only heat styled it once in the last few years, when a friend straightened it to see what I'd look like.

ktani
January 8th, 2012, 06:19 AM
My hair is actually really short, about 2.5-3 inches, and I've only heat styled it once in the last few years, when a friend straightened it to see what I'd look like.

That eliminates one possible source of the problem.

I agree that you should not attempt to try and fix this yourself. The doctor's visit is best.

And strying calm should help too.

All the best!

same_as
January 13th, 2012, 01:23 AM
Sorry for digging up this thread again. I really need some consolation.

The doctor referred me to a dermatologist, and I may have to wait up to three months before I can get any help, which is bad, because the problem is just getting worse.

I'll update with pictures if it helps, has anyone else experienced hair loss like this? I've decided to continue with castor oil treatments though, because it's not like I've got much to loose >__<

I'm not even twenty yet, so it's not like it's coming with aging. And I consider myself to have a relatively healthy diet, are there any vitamins I might be low in that could affect this? It's really starting to affect my self confidence. I have to comb my hair all stupidly how to hide it. I'm even considering shaving it off at the moment :(

edit: adding picture for reference
https://mail.google.com/mail/?attid=0.1&disp=emb&view=att&th=134d63637d852eb3

jojo
January 13th, 2012, 02:45 AM
id definitely get some bloods done a full count and TSH to rule out anaemia and thyroid issues. In the meantime make sure you are eating a healthy diets and maybe even look into taking a multi vitamin and keeping well hydrated.

Continue to treat your hair well and try not to worry , i hope you get this cleared up soon.

same_as
January 13th, 2012, 02:52 AM
I just started taking my multivitamin again in the last few days, along with a hair skin and nail vitamin, and fish oil tablets. I got very lazy with them last year, so that could have contributed. Also trying to drink lots of water lately too.
Thank you for the suggestions :)

jasper
January 13th, 2012, 04:45 AM
I can't see the picture.
I am worrying a bit about hair thinning at my temples, creating a more exaggerated widow's peak. I have bangs, and they're getting more wispy at the sides compared to thicker in the middle, which is not a good look. I know what you mean about combing it all different to try to hid the thinness.

I have baby hairs in the areas that are thin, so I am hoping that they're re-growth and not just patches of hair with a really short terminal length. The thing I an trying is just scalp stimulation with my BBB, and I am giving it time to see what happens.

I don't suggest shaving it off as you said you considered. What if the thinner patch might still be noticeable to you in your regrowth? Personally I would not feel better about that.

Kherome
January 13th, 2012, 05:15 AM
Sorry for digging up this thread again. I really need some consolation.

The doctor referred me to a dermatologist, and I may have to wait up to three months before I can get any help, which is bad, because the problem is just getting worse.

I'll update with pictures if it helps, has anyone else experienced hair loss like this? I've decided to continue with castor oil treatments though, because it's not like I've got much to loose >__<

I'm not even twenty yet, so it's not like it's coming with aging. And I consider myself to have a relatively healthy diet, are there any vitamins I might be low in that could affect this? It's really starting to affect my self confidence. I have to comb my hair all stupidly how to hide it. I'm even considering shaving it off at the moment :(

edit: adding picture for reference
https://mail.google.com/mail/?attid=0.1&disp=emb&view=att&th=134d63637d852eb3

3 months??? Are you in Canada?

Mesmerise
January 13th, 2012, 05:26 AM
As well as checking for thyroid problems, ensure they check adrenal problems. Apparently one of the symptoms of adrenal problems is hair loss, and adrenal issues often come BEFORE thyroid issues from what I've read, so I wonder how many women go get their thyroid function tested, and it appears okay, when in reality it's their adrenal gland causing problems with hair loss!

I am wondering this at the moment as I've had lots of hair loss lately too, with noticeably thinner hair at the front (cut bangs to hide it... but they really annoy me...).

same_as
January 13th, 2012, 03:03 PM
I can still see the picture Jasper, is anyone else having a problem with seeing it?

Thanks you for all the helpful suggestions, I'll write them down before I go to make sure it's covered.
I live in Australia, if that helps at all. We get some of our medical bills back through medicare, which is similar to Canada as far as I'm aware. I don't know if it effects how long we have to wait though.

We're trying to find another dermatologist that isn't so busy.

Manny1826
January 13th, 2012, 03:06 PM
I wouldn't worry too much-- sometimes hair thins/thickens at different times in people's lives-- i'm sure you're just fine!

Anje
January 13th, 2012, 04:08 PM
In addition to getting the basics checked, you should consider that it might be a touch of alopecia areata. We've got multiple members here who have that, and they sometimes find that they get some patches of hair loss when they're going through a lot of stress.

While losing hair can definitely be a cause of stress, I would encourage you to try to chillax. Most of the things that cause female hairloss are at least somewhat treatable, including vitamin deficiencies, anemia, hormonal (thyroid and adrenal more than feminine) problems, and alopecia.

After all, you still have lots of hair. I can normally see my scalp at the top at my thickness, when there's a light right above me (read: bathrooms), and my hair hasn't thinned out at all. It's just not as enormously thick as yours.

same_as
January 14th, 2012, 01:00 AM
I've been reading about some causes of hair loss on the internet, and apparently loosing hair due to stress can start to happen a month or two after the particular time of stress. I've read that it can also take around six months for hair to start growing back after the stress has stopped. Is this true?

In July/August I spent six weeks in Taznania (Africa) traveling and voluntearing around the country with a group of twelve friends and two of my teachers. While this was one of the most amazing experiences of my life I will admit that I went through some pretty hard and stressful time (plus I was taking Malerone, an anti malerea medication, could this have contributed?).

Could this have affected my hair loss? And if it has, how long will it be before my hair grows back?

(Definetly relaxing now, I'm going to go watch a movie while giving myself a scalp message with cator oil and EVOO, then get a good nights sleep)

jojo
January 15th, 2012, 05:24 PM
I just started taking my multivitamin again in the last few days, along with a hair skin and nail vitamin, and fish oil tablets. I got very lazy with them last year, so that could have contributed. Also trying to drink lots of water lately too.
Thank you for the suggestions :)

garlic is good for hair loss too1 and remember it can take 3 months to see an improvement, just hang in there yeah?

jeanniet
January 15th, 2012, 05:37 PM
Try not to panic. In all likelihood the patch is way more obvious to you than to anyone else, so don't worry that it stands out too much. If the thinness is due to stress, it'll take time to come back, but it will come back eventually. The best thing is to see the dermatologist and see if they can pinpoint the cause. The medication you took may have caused the thinness as well, but the doctor is the best one to advise you on that. Just try to relax until your appointment.

same_as
January 15th, 2012, 06:20 PM
Many thanks again to all you guys for helping me out, and calming me down. We're still looking for a dermatologist, but in the meantime I'm just going to stop worrying about it. It really isn't that bad at the moment, and people can only see the problem if I point it out. All the worrying in the world won't make my apointment some sooner.

So I'm still going to keep up with my daily scalp messages. Using castor oil + evoo the night before a wash. But I'm going to obsess over it.

I'll update after I see the dermatologist, but I'm pretty sure it's something that can be fixed over time. I used to pull hair out around this area a lot 1-2 years ago when I got really nervous or upset. Perhaps it's still waiting to grow back :shrug:

turtlelover
January 17th, 2012, 09:31 AM
Something called PCOS can also cause hair loss issues. You might want to research that and see if you have any symptoms.