PDA

View Full Version : What are these CRAZY HAIRS?

holothuroidea
January 7th, 2012, 11:22 PM
So I was attempting to "smooth" my hair down with a boar bristle brush, as it was looking a little fuzzy and after I brushed I noticed that I have a zillion tiny hairs sticking out everywhere! They are about 1-2 inches long, and I'm thinking that I just now notice them because they are long enough to stick up in spite of the weight of my other hair.

I tried to take a picture. It's hard to see just how many of them there are because my hair is so fine, but I basically look like a porcupine.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v296/holothuroidea/SAM_0968.jpg

What are these hairs? Do you think they might be from breakage? :( Has this happened to anyone else?

I had a big post partum shed a couple of months ago. I'm really hoping this just new stuff growing in, but there's so much of it...

ladonna
January 7th, 2012, 11:26 PM
I'm not sure but that happen when I use a bbb on myself and my kids. Those pp sheds are rough I think half my hair would fall out and I had bald spots around my hairline.

akilina
January 7th, 2012, 11:28 PM
i think its very possible it is new growth!
and probably unlikely its broken especially if you take care of your hair well :]
congratulations!

Nedertane
January 7th, 2012, 11:28 PM
I'd figure it might be either broken hairs OR new little ones sprouting from the scalp. Your hair's probably no different than anyone else. I wouldn't worry too much.

Kyla
January 7th, 2012, 11:40 PM
Looks a lot like new growth to me, unless you've been wearing a ton of rough hats or something I have a hard time imagining so much damage that close to the scalp.

Mommyof4
January 7th, 2012, 11:41 PM
It looks EXACTLY like my new growth after my horrible post-partum shed. When I brush my daughter's straight hair with a BBB, I always see her new growth hair poking through like that, too. I think it's because it lays the longer hairs down, so it's easier to see the new growth, or maybe static? I doubt it's breakage, seeing as you take care of your hair :)

Amazinggrace
January 8th, 2012, 12:51 AM
Looks the same as new hair growth for me.

When you use the BBB you are bushing, the smoothing with your palm right? I'm sure you knwo about that, but I didn't at first. :)

Lissandria
January 8th, 2012, 01:34 AM
Definitely looks like new growth! Yay!

almond
January 8th, 2012, 01:59 AM
Looks like new growth! :) I had similar looking baby hairs after a terrible shed.

Aveyronnaise
January 8th, 2012, 02:07 AM
I had the same after having my son, and sorry to say I had yet another even bigger one after stopping extended breast feeding. It's been over a year since I stopped BFing and I have tons of 6 inch (approx ) all over my head.

vatikagirl
January 8th, 2012, 02:44 AM
Its new growth, look at the pointy ends... yay.. congratulations.

Um Enis
January 8th, 2012, 03:47 AM
I had a big post partum shed a couple of months ago. I'm really hoping this just new stuff growing in, but there's so much of it...

As I read your post, before I got to this line, I was thinking "hmm sounds like postpartum regrowth" and wondering if you had been pregnant....

So, yes, definitely sounds like that is what it is.

Source: Been there. Done that. x 6, God bless us :)

Mesmerise
January 8th, 2012, 05:53 AM
So I was attempting to "smooth" my hair down with a boar bristle brush, as it was looking a little fuzzy and after I brushed I noticed that I have a zillion tiny hairs sticking out everywhere! They are about 1-2 inches long, and I'm thinking that I just now notice them because they are long enough to stick up in spite of the weight of my other hair.

I tried to take a picture. It's hard to see just how many of them there are because my hair is so fine, but I basically look like a porcupine.

What are these hairs? Do you think they might be from breakage? :( Has this happened to anyone else?

I think that's your answer! After having a big shed you will soon notice a LOT of new hairs growing. I had a massive shed in 2010 (and seem to be having ANOTHER) and a month or so after my last shed stopped I had sooo many baby hairs growing! They looked ridiculous and stood right up, but eventually "settled down". It seems to me that it's actually good news as all those new hairs, mean your hair will be a lot thicker in a few months!

DuckyDot
January 8th, 2012, 06:38 AM
I had a massive (Lost half of my hair) shed last year after being sick and I have so many of these hairs, but they're finally getting a little longer. At least one day our hair will be thicker when these hairs catch up! :D

white.chocolate
January 8th, 2012, 07:06 AM
It's new growth. I have tons of them. Don't you have them along your length as well?

Lostsoule77
January 8th, 2012, 08:02 AM
As everyone else has said, it looks like new growth. I have a so many of them that my DH said it looked like a halo! You'll be able to force them down when they get a bit longer. Just think how nice and thick your hair will be when they are longer. ;)

constructamane
January 8th, 2012, 08:03 AM
My hair is short like yours, and 2 days ago, I noticed several hairs on top of my head not longer than 2 inches as well. That is about how long my hair has grown since the last cut! I think that my hair/scalp was damaged from the continual highlighting! It's now been left alone to grow normally!

BrightEyes
January 8th, 2012, 08:06 AM
I'd say it's new growth too!! I had a pp shed after my son was born. Now those hairs are getting longer and laying down. Woot!!:D

jacqueline101
January 8th, 2012, 08:06 AM
I get those new hairs and they irritate me.

holothuroidea
January 8th, 2012, 08:12 AM
Thank you, everyone!!

I was thinking that it must be new growth but I got worried because of some bobby-pin breakage I experienced a while back. I was putting bobby pins in my hair every day to pin my fringe back and the hairs started breaking off right where I was using the pins. I'm just now growing out the cockatoo tuft long enough for it to lay flat, lol. So when I saw all those hairs I was remembering that and I think I got a little paranoid.

I do wash my hair every day and I like to brush it so I thought it might be from that. :o

Thank you everyone for calming my paranoid self. I admit I am a little obsessed, I've never had long hair before that I tried to take care of.

:flower:

spidermom
January 8th, 2012, 11:07 AM
I almost always have something like that going on. I think it's mostly new growth.

Maktub
January 8th, 2012, 01:32 PM
New growth ! :)

piffyanne
January 9th, 2012, 05:36 PM
Once again, Spidermom and I have twin heads, apparently. Frankly, I'd start getting WORRIED if I didn't have the halo effect—it appears to be a permanent part of my hair. Whatever, crazy head whose sole goal in life appears to be to drive me insane in the least possible elapsed time, do whatever you WANT. >_<

Another vote for 'new growth'!

Maktub
January 9th, 2012, 05:39 PM
I actually found the same thing on my head after a few months of tender loving LHC care !

mzBANGBANG
January 9th, 2012, 05:44 PM
Noticed the same on mine after I cut back flat iron/blowfrying to once a week. About a month ago I stated CO and BBB... looked in the mirror the other day and holy moley!!! Had them all over the place! Glad you posted and asked because I just assumed mine was breakage. :toast:

Riselda
January 9th, 2012, 06:04 PM
Lucky you, it looks like new growth.

jojo
January 9th, 2012, 07:41 PM
That my dear is new growth :cheese: baby them they are future long hairs. They will have a tapered end when new hairs and blunt when breakage but I can see by just looking it is new growth, mine looks the same; I have them at all lengths. A little AVG will smooth them down. I saw a lot since using my BBB-congratulations of your baby hairs:toast:

ClassicalBlonde
January 9th, 2012, 09:01 PM
It have this constantly! It is denfinitely new growth. I used to think it was damage from rough combing/brushing but it never stopped, even when I had been treating my hair like lace for months. I kind of get irritated at how it can ruin the way my hair looks but I've made peace with them now. Besides, I would rather have little crazy hairs sticking up everywhere than no new growth :D That wouldn't end very well!

piffyanne
January 9th, 2012, 09:05 PM
Did someone think to bring out the cigars for this, yet? This is a cause for celebration!! >passes cigars out to friends and family of OP and other new-growthers<

holothuroidea
January 9th, 2012, 10:18 PM
Did someone think to bring out the cigars for this, yet? This is a cause for celebration!! >passes cigars out to friends and family of OP and other new-growthers<

:laugh:

:toast: Everyone! Thank you so much for sharing your experiences! I love them now, and I feel much less like a porcupine. :D

piffyanne
January 9th, 2012, 10:40 PM
Frankly, there are far worse animals than porcupines. Mom and I agree that porcupines are among the cutest critters out there. Ever read How Little Porcupine Played Christmas? It's waaaaaay worth it. When we got a hedgehog, we named it "Stickball" after one of the cruel nicknames poor little porcupine was called before everyone realized how *spoiler spoiler* he was!

But I digress. Hooray, prickly hair!:cheese:

adiapalic
January 10th, 2012, 07:14 AM
Another vote for new growth! I have the same thing happening on my head too--bunches of little 2" tapered hairs everywhere! They pop up everywhere, but I'm happy they're growing. :)

holothuroidea
January 10th, 2012, 08:49 AM
I know what you guys mean about having them all the time. There has always been some and I see them on my DD, too, but now it looks like a third of my hair is 1-2 inches long. There are so many of them. They don't all really show up in the picture.. Anyway, I was just concerned at the sheer number of them!

@Piffyanne- Porcupines are really very cute. The spiky thing works for them. Me? I'm not so sure. :laugh:

I've stopped trying to smooth my hair down and it's much better now, I just let it look fuzzy and wild. I'm :rockerdud 'n it.