PDA

View Full Version : Alittle confused bout clarifying

Long_hair_bear
January 7th, 2012, 10:22 PM
Hey all! So I asked my hair stylists shop over the phone if they had any clarifying treatments and they said they have a clarifying shampoo they can use. Is this enough to clarify hair or do I need to do something else?

Diamond.Eyes
January 7th, 2012, 10:33 PM
I think it would be probably be enough to clarify hair, but salon visits can be a little pricey. I personally just clarify my hair with a 99 cent VO5 clarifying shampoo followed by an ACV rinse and then condition. It's pretty effective and also quite cheap. :)

Long_hair_bear
January 7th, 2012, 10:38 PM
I think it would be probably be enough to clarify hair, but salon visits can be a little pricey. I personally just clarify my hair with a 99 cent VO5 clarifying shampoo followed by an ACV rinse and then condition. It's pretty effective and also quite cheap. :)

Oh no, I'm going there anyway to get my eyebrows waxed and (hopefully) my last dye job. I'm trying to get my hair back to my original color as I refuse to cut it and let it grow out virgin.

Diamond.Eyes
January 7th, 2012, 10:42 PM
Oh no, I'm going there anyway to get my eyebrows waxed and (hopefully) my last dye job. I'm trying to get my hair back to my original color as I refuse to cut it and let it grow out virgin.
Oh, I get you :D! Well if you are already there, then it is a good idea to get it done there. :) I hope everything goes well for you! I bet it will be awesome. :flower:

ellisbell
January 7th, 2012, 10:47 PM
Clarifying can be pretty drying so it may not be the best idea to pair it with a colour treatment. The salon will probably use a sulfate shampoo anyway which should clarify your hair (of course if it doesn't have cones in it). Actually really any sulfate shampoo without cones will clarify your hair and the salon will probably charge you a ton for simply washing your hair with a harsh shampoo.

I would ask what the ingredients are in their clarifying treatment to gage if it is worth the price/won't damage your hair.

Long_hair_bear
January 7th, 2012, 10:49 PM
Clarifying can be pretty drying so it may not be the best idea to pair it with a colour treatment. The salon will probably use a sulfate shampoo anyway which should clarify your hair (of course if it doesn't have cones in it). Actually really any sulfate shampoo without cones will clarify your hair and the salon will probably charge you a ton for simply washing your hair with a harsh shampoo.

I would ask what the ingredients are in their clarifying treatment to gage if it is worth the price/won't damage your hair.

Nah they wash it for free with a color. :D

Long_hair_bear
January 8th, 2012, 08:31 AM
Does anyone know if a detox shampoo is the same as a clarifying one? I love Abba products and found this, but I'm not sure it's clarifying.

http://www.abbahaircare.com/products/specialty/detox-shampoo

Bene
January 8th, 2012, 08:48 AM
You might be overthinking this :laugh:

Clarifying, it's really just a good cleaning that removes build-up. That's it. You can clarify at home by adding some baking soda to your regular shampoo, it's that simple. Or you can get a shampoo that has the word "clarifying" on it.

With that being said, if your salon tells you they have a clarifying shampoo, it's safe to say they have a clarifying shampoo. If you suspect that they're not being entirely truthful about it (although I can't imagine a reason why they'd lie about something like that), you can ask to see the bottle.

The product you just linked to, I really think "detox" is their fancy pants, trying-to-squeeze-more-money-out-of-you-by-clever-word-usage way of saying "clarifying. The thingy says it has baking soda in it, that's good enough. I didn't look at the rest of the ingredients, but it looks fine.

Long_hair_bear
January 8th, 2012, 08:52 AM
You might be overthinking this :laugh:

Clarifying, it's really just a good cleaning that removes build-up. That's it. You can clarify at home by adding some baking soda to your regular shampoo, it's that simple. Or you can get a shampoo that has the word "clarifying" on it.

With that being said, if your salon tells you they have a clarifying shampoo, it's safe to say they have a clarifying shampoo. If you suspect that they're not being entirely truthful about it (although I can't imagine a reason why they'd lie about something like that), you can ask to see the bottle.

The product you just linked to, I really think "detox" is their fancy pants, trying-to-squeeze-more-money-out-of-you-by-clever-word-usage way of saying "clarifying. The thingy says it has baking soda in it, that's good enough. I didn't look at the rest of the ingredients, but it looks fine.

Ya I may be, but as I've never done it before, I want to make sure I'm doing it right. I love Abbas stuff and it never does my hair wrong. It's worth the money to me for how gentle it is on my hair. I've never had anything but good results from them. :D

Kelikea
January 8th, 2012, 08:54 AM
Does anyone know if a detox shampoo is the same as a clarifying one? I love Abba products and found this, but I'm not sure it's clarifying.

http://www.abbahaircare.com/products/specialty/detox-shampoo

It contains sls, and parabens. It also has glycerin, baking soda and protein. You would definitely need to add moisture after this one. And its about $17. You can get a cheap shampoo and add baking soda to it for about $1.

Bene
January 8th, 2012, 08:56 AM
It contains sls, and parabens. It also has glycerin, baking soda and protein. You would definitely need to add moisture after this one. And its about $17. You can get a cheap shampoo and add baking soda to it for about $1.

No more so than any other shampoo. That's what conditioner is for :)

Long_hair_bear
January 8th, 2012, 09:00 AM

Adding baking soda to hair seems like a very bad idea to me, even if diluted in shampoo. Won't it make your hair grainy?

Bene
January 8th, 2012, 09:03 AM
Adding baking soda to hair seems like a very bad idea to me, even if diluted in shampoo. Won't it make your hair grainy?

How would it make your hair grainy?

Lostsoule77
January 8th, 2012, 09:04 AM
Baking soda shouldn't make your hair grainy if you rinse well. For clarifying I just use the Neutrogena clarifying shampoo. Works really well for me. :) I think if you're going to be in the salon anyway and they say they are clarifying I would trust them (as long as it's your regular salon, which it sounds like.)

Long_hair_bear
January 8th, 2012, 09:07 AM
How would it make your hair grainy?

Well it's a powder, so I thought it might make hair grainy. I'd pry only use clarifying shampoo once a month as I hear it's harsh. :)

Kelikea
January 8th, 2012, 09:13 AM
I use baking soda for my hair, completely diluted in water. No, its not grainy. I was just commenting on your question about the Abba detox. It does contain baking soda, so if you don't want that in your hair, don't spend $17 on that shampoo. If you do want to try baking soda, it is very cheap, so another reason not to spend $17 on a shampoo that contains baking soda. Also, many people like to avoid sls and parabens, which that shampoo contains.

Bene
January 8th, 2012, 09:14 AM
Well it's a powder, so I thought it might make hair grainy. I'd pry only use clarifying shampoo once a month as I hear it's harsh. :)

Baking soda dissolves in liquid. It does not make hair grainy. If you clarify with baking soda, your hair might feel a little dry after, since it's fairly thorough. That's what conditioner is for.

Whenever I think my hair needs clarifying, I dump a tablespoon of baking soda in a cup, mix it with a bunch of water and let it all dissolve.

If you're still wary of using baking soda, then use whatever clarifying shampoo you want to use. For all intents and purposes, the results are the same. $1 bottle, $10 bottle, $20 bottle, you still get the same results. Whatever works for YOU is fine.

But yeah, don't overthink this, you'll make yourself crazy. There are articles (in the article area) that should provide you with all the answers you need.

thecandiedmango
Long_hair_bear: baking soda is very water soluble, so as long as you rinse your shampoo thoroughly it's going to dissolve in your rinse water rather than stay in your hair. I don't know how it would react with ingredients in a shampoo, but I highly doubt that it's going to be worse for your hair than a proper clarifying product, especially since you probably won't need to use very much.

xoerincolleen
If I were you, I'd just get a cheap Suave or VO5 clarifying shampoo to use at home. They usually cost < $1 and then you don't have to go through adding baking soda to your shampoo. And, like a previous poster said, whatever shampoo they use at the salon will probably clarify your hair anyways! :)

Long_hair_bear
January 8th, 2012, 09:16 AM
I use baking soda for my hair, completely diluted in water. No, its not grainy. I was just commenting on your question about the Abba detox. It does contain baking soda, so if you don't want that in your hair, don't spend $17 on that shampoo. If you do want to try baking soda, it is very cheap, so another reason not to spend $17 on a shampoo that contains baking soda. Also, many people like to avoid sls and parabens, which that shampoo contains.

Oh I don't care if a professional company mixes it in, but me doing it myself would be disastrous. Again, Abbas products have always worked wonders for me and tend to last awhile, so I don't mind paying for them every once and again.

Long_hair_bear
January 8th, 2012, 09:21 AM
If I were you, I'd just get a cheap Suave or VO5 clarifying shampoo to use at home. They usually cost < $1 and then you don't have to go through adding baking soda to your shampoo. And, like a previous poster said, whatever shampoo they use at the salon will probably clarify your hair anyways! :)

How much baking soda do you add to shampoo though? I'm not adverse to the baking soda idea; I just don't want to use too much and have my hair be nasty. Or do you do the baking soda rinse with water then shampoo with regular shampoo?

gazelle
January 8th, 2012, 04:20 PM
I sometimes use 1/2 tbs baking soda mixed with some diluted baby shampoo. After that I do a vinegar rinse. My scalp feels very well, and do not be afraid it won't make your hair nasty

jacqueline101
January 8th, 2012, 04:26 PM
I use suave natural clarifying shampoo and vinegar rinse it works for me.

Long_hair_bear
January 8th, 2012, 04:39 PM
I use suave natural clarifying shampoo and vinegar rinse it works for me.

How do you do your vinegar rinse? How much vinegar to how much water?