PDA

View Full Version : Going to make a HUGE change.

Calaelen
January 7th, 2012, 07:47 PM
Hi All. I have gotten bored of my hair. Certainly not the length, NEVER, but I used to suffer from colour fever, and would change my hair colour about every 6 months just to change it up.

I have used demi colour Clairol Natural instinct in various shades of brown for about the last 4 years now. Before that I have been every colour out there, have bleached, have been black with odd coloured streaks, been a coppery irish red, flaming red...my hair takes damage REALLY well.

Now I've been hennaing for just over a year on top of the brown which never really faded out. I loved the henna for some time, but now I need a change, a HUGE one.

In the next few days, I am going to use Color Oops to remove as much colour from my hair as I can, I am going to leave it on much longer than the recommended time, for henna removal as talked about in Mairead's recent thread.

THEN, I am either going dark purple, dark green, or a rosy dark pinkish red.

What I need some opinions on is what CRAZY shade to go. I have never had purple before, but am not sure I could pull it off with the rest of my colouring. I am leaning toward the green, for two reason, it is my favourite colour, I would be able to wear red lipstick for once in my life without looking awful, and because 44 inch green hair what could be more whimsical fairy in the mist??

The only thing standing in the way of my green attempt will be how much colour the color oops removes. If I think green would be successful, that is likely what I'll do.

I would like some opinions though.

Here are the colours I am considering, Special Effects Virgin Rose, deep purple or, a mix of sonic green and iguana green.

So what colour would you all like to see??

Long_hair_bear
January 7th, 2012, 07:50 PM
Hi All. I have gotten bored of my hair. Certainly not the length, NEVER, but I used to suffer from colour fever, and would change my hair colour about every 6 months just to change it up.

I have used demi colour Clairol Natural instinct in various shades of brown for about the last 4 years now. Before that I have been every colour out there, have bleached, have been black with odd coloured streaks, been a coppery irish red, flaming red...my hair takes damage REALLY well.

Now I've been hennaing for just over a year on top of the brown which never really faded out. I loved the henna for some time, but now I need a change, a HUGE one.

In the next few days, I am going to use Color Oops to remove as much colour from my hair as I can, I am going to leave it on much longer than the recommended time, for henna removal as talked about in Mairead's recent thread.

THEN, I am either going dark purple, dark green, or a rosy dark pinkish red.

What I need some opinions on is what CRAZY shade to go. I have never had purple before, but am not sure I could pull it off with the rest of my colouring. I am leaning toward the green, for two reason, it is my favourite colour, I would be able to wear red lipstick for once in my life without looking awful, and because 44 inch green hair what could be more whimsical fairy in the mist??

The only thing standing in the way of my green attempt will be how much colour the color oops removes. If I think green would be successful, that is likely what I'll do.

I would like some opinions though.

Here are the colours I am considering, Special Effects Virgin Rose, deep purple or, a mix of sonic green and iguana green.

So what colour would you all like to see??

Becky votes deep purple, but purple has been my favorite color ever since I've known what a color was. I've had my hair many shades of purlple before I quit since bleaching is a no no on my dry hair. :D

Hollyfire3
January 7th, 2012, 07:52 PM
I personally think all would look amazing! I would say Purple, just because I LOVE purple (one of my favorite colors next to blue or course) and purple to me is Magic and beautiful and why not, its magic? The Rose would be cool to see, as i have never seen it as a hair color. And the green would be awsome also, because it is such a cool color. If you are feeling adventurous, do all three! You can always go back to black or dark brown over the faded colored parts. But seriously, do one side section purple, the back green and the other side Rose colored, THAT is what i would LOVE to see!:D

battles
January 7th, 2012, 07:56 PM
Virgin rose is pretty! Maybe you could mix a little of the purple into the virgin rose for a bit of a change?

Kira94
January 7th, 2012, 08:00 PM
Okay, I gotta say, 44 inch green hair would be AWESOME. Totally makes me think of fairies. :D

edit: If you google "fairy green hair" there's some really neat pictures. :)

Lostsoule77
January 7th, 2012, 08:23 PM
I would say the purple or green. You've had red hair for the past few years, even if it's a totally different shade. If you really want to change it up the green is the least like it out of the three. It would depend on how much red you can get out. If you still have alot of red, like you probably will, the purple might look the best.

Green is my favorite color though and since you're leaning that way I'll put my vote for that. :D

princessp
January 7th, 2012, 08:30 PM
Oh gosh any of those would be cool. I can't wait for pictures!

same_as
January 7th, 2012, 08:37 PM
I'll be watching this for results on the colour oops treatment. A light foresty green would look amazing though! But if you hair is naturally darker, a dark forest green would look great too :)

Kitkey
January 7th, 2012, 08:42 PM
Green! It's my favorite color too!

Alvrodul
January 7th, 2012, 08:48 PM
Go green! (If you can get the henna out, that is.)

Removing the henna is going to be the big stumbling block, I think, since it is such a bombproof color. Divorcing henna isn't going to be easy, i think, but I hope your hair survives it.

If you don't get all the henna out, I think the pinkish red could work. Purple, though ... *ponders* I actually like purple a lot. But I find it to be a tricky color - at least for me. The shades I encounter are too often muddy, or too red. Or too light.
In any case, I look forward to pics!

Chromis
January 7th, 2012, 08:58 PM
Green, green!

elfgirl
January 7th, 2012, 09:10 PM
I'm also going to cast my vote for green :D But whatever you feel is best, in the end :)

long&blonde
January 7th, 2012, 10:14 PM
Green is my favorite color too! Fairy/forest/jungle/mermaid, green is so many beautiful things! Would love to see you pull it off. However, from a former dyed my hair every color out there,15 to 55, my hair takes damage well too:green will be The trickiest of the 3 to achieve, cause purple & pink have red bases. Am looking forward to the pictures too!

moxamoll
January 7th, 2012, 10:16 PM
I'm throwing my vote in for green too! But whatever you choose, I can't wait to see pictures!!!

insomniac-uk
January 7th, 2012, 10:32 PM
I think purple or pink :) I used to bleach and dye my hair crazy colours and personally I found green the hardest to pull off, it faded really quickly and the faded colour was a horrible dirty grey green :(

LadyKate
January 7th, 2012, 10:51 PM
Green! With pictures!

akilina
January 7th, 2012, 11:34 PM
in the perfect outcome...id say green would be beautiful! like a deep green.
BUT....since you are removing henna its possible you will be brassy..and if its not lifted enough green ontop of that will just turn brown.
Purple goes with the red so nicely in my experiences though and it covered it perfectly.
and geez good luck with removing! :)
im going to try to remove mine using color oops maybe sometime soon. really though i dont see leaving the stuff on for 3 hours really being worth it. the stuff doesnt stay active for that long so it would be pointless to leave on an inactive chemical

pepperminttea
January 7th, 2012, 11:38 PM
I vote purple or rose. :) There was a girl in my high school who went green, it didn't fade... nicely.

UltraBella
January 8th, 2012, 01:27 AM
Calaelen, I just realized that I have no idea what you look like !
I don't know how to cast my vote now :(

hypersensitive
January 8th, 2012, 01:45 AM
^ I don't know either but in any case, I vote purple mainly because I'm biased toward my favorite color. I would be apprehensive of the green mainly because you don't know how leftover (if any) remnants of henna would combinr with a green color. Good luck though!

Oh, and pics or it didn't happen!

Cupofmilk
January 8th, 2012, 06:44 AM
I vote for green.green hair rocks.

XcaliburGirl
January 8th, 2012, 06:52 AM
I'd vote green, but it depends on what color your hair is after stripping the henna. If it was me, I'd be too afraid that whatever is left from stripping the henna will cause the green to come out a weird gross-looking color. If you have to strip that out, then it might damage your hair.

Also, consider the upkeep. My faded blue over orangey bleached hair turned green, but after a while it faded more and it was not a good shade. Rose or purple might fade more nicely.

CarpeDM
January 8th, 2012, 07:00 AM
My vote is for the virgin rose or deep purple...

Littlewing13
January 8th, 2012, 07:01 AM
Even if you can lift the henna, green is a difficult colour to keep looking good. If it fades it just looks manky & chloriney. It would probably take pre-bleaching too.

However: if you go dark purple next then change your mind & want green after all then it will likely be even more damage.

Purple lasts longer & when it fades it looks pretty anyways. All to do with the size of the colour molecules.

Amber_Maiden
January 8th, 2012, 09:47 AM
Purple. I think it would look awesome! :D

vanity_acefake
January 8th, 2012, 09:51 AM
I vote pink red or bright red.
I had my hair bright red (pillarbox red) for years.
I loved it and I miss it so.

arcane
January 8th, 2012, 10:16 AM
My advice is to look for pictures of the colours you want after they have faded. Green tends to fade patchy and yellowy, and depending on how much yellow tones you have in your hair it may not turn out how you want it too. Some purples fade pinky, others dont, and some pinks (and pinky reds) fade peachy while others are more blue toned light pinks. All depend on how light your hair is, and getting a vibrant version of these colours typically envolve lightening your hair to a very light level. A dark purple however doesn't require too light of a base, and bright red does well over a gingery colour.

I've had green, purple, and pink hair before (and red, and blue, and magenta, and pretty much any other colour natural or not you can think of). I say do whatever you want. Hey, when you get bored of one colour, switch to the next one on your list!

Alvrodul
January 8th, 2012, 10:23 AM
My advice is to look for pictures of the colours you want after they have faded. Green tends to fade patchy and yellowy, and depending on how much yellow tones you have in your hair it may not turn out how you want it too. Some purples fade pinky, others dont, and some pinks (and pinky reds) fade peachy while others are more blue toned light pinks. All depend on how light your hair is, and getting a vibrant version of these colours typically envolve lightening your hair to a very light level. A dark purple however doesn't require too light of a base, and bright red does well over a gingery colour.

I've had green, purple, and pink hair before (and red, and blue, and magenta, and pretty much any other colour natural or not you can think of). I say do whatever you want. Hey, when you get bored of one colour, switch to the next one on your list!
This sounds like an excellent idea! I haven't had any experience with "unnatural" colors myself, and I suppose fading will be an issue.

Calaelen
January 8th, 2012, 07:58 PM
We'll really have to see what happens after I use the Colour Oops..As a stylist, and also someone quite experienced with Special Effects, I think I could keep the green looking good with regular upkeep if I like it, and if not I wear scarves pretty frequently, and could just go back to that until I get it faded enough to change again :) that wouldn't be an issue, only what colour I have to start with...I did quite a lot of research about the shades of green attainable over unbleached hair, it looks quite promising depending on what results I get with the hair remover. You guys can't imagine how excited I am to do this...lol. I am getting the colour oops tomorrow.

einna
January 8th, 2012, 08:06 PM
Green! Please! :D :D Good luck, cant wait for the pics :D

UltraBella
January 9th, 2012, 12:47 AM
I vote for purple first, pink-red second, and I don't vote for green at all ! Lol :)

the.fee.fairy
January 9th, 2012, 01:34 AM
I vote for green, but only because my hair will not go green regardless of what i do to it!

If your hair takes damage really well, why not go for purple and green?

Dye the top layer green, the next layer purple etc, it makes it look peacock!

I had purple and turquoise for a while, but because i can't get blue to stay in, my turquoise went grey as it faded out...

Now my hair (see avatar) is Directions Dark Tulip. It's a really deep, dark pink. I usually go Directions Plum, but i've only got one precious pot left, so i went for the Dark Tulip because i've got two pots :)

Are you averse to permanent dyes/bleaching? If not, try dyeing your first layer black/dark brown, then bleach the next layer and carry on (it's usually better if you have the 'head layers' - top and bottom dark - shows less roots!), then dye over it in whatever colour you want. It creates natural looking (apart form the colour :)) streaks throughout the hair and gives different shades.

jojo
January 9th, 2012, 02:07 AM
I love pinks and purples if i had the guts id go for those colours!

Make sure to put some photos up!

jacqueline101
January 9th, 2012, 10:13 AM
I'd say go green.

spidermom
January 9th, 2012, 10:34 AM
Rose, definitely.

Calaelen
January 9th, 2012, 11:23 AM
:) Hi again. well tonight I take the colour removal plunge. I am using Color Oops, and not touching bleach with a 10 ft pole not matter what happens. If I get results I think would take the deep green I am seeking, that's what I am doing. Failing that it will be Deep purple. I've taken the Virgin Rose option out entirely after looking at hundreds of results pics, it just isn't what I want.

So, hold on for a report, and likely pics of how the Colour Oops goes tonight :)

Calaelen
January 9th, 2012, 08:56 PM
I have my second batch of color oops on! So far though it is looking like I am not going to get enough lift for green I can still ROCK some awesome purple though :)

Calaelen
January 10th, 2012, 10:29 AM
Round three of Color Oops is on my head now. This stuff seems very gentle, I and I am using the extra strength! the last two inches of my ends are VERY dry, but they were due for a trim anyway, and I feel this was money very well spent.

for a teaser pic, here is the colour I achieved with two rounds of the colour oops
http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac210/luthienc/004-2-1.jpg
Here is the level I had before.
http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac210/luthienc/fall2010091-2.jpg
As you can see, the color oops removed all traces of the boxed brown that remained in my hair but left almost all of the henna.
I am now going for a even brighter lift to ensure I get the purple shade I desire, I do not want burgundy.
This afternoon I am purchasing the purples which I think is going to be a mix of Special Effects Deep Purple with two bottles of Pimpin' Purple. Or alternately one bottle of Joyride to two bottles of Pimpin' Purple depending on the results of my third and final colour removal round. SO EXCITED!!

FrozenBritannia
January 10th, 2012, 11:39 AM
I can't wait to see the results of the purple!!!!!

Shanbot
January 10th, 2012, 12:09 PM
I'm so looking forward to seeing if more of the henna comes out for you, and also to seeing the purple!! :cheese:

heidi w.
January 10th, 2012, 12:11 PM
If you still have henna in your hair, going to another color could potentially pose a problem. I suggest looking into this before you change color, as it could affect the outcome of your new color.

heidi w.

Calaelen
January 10th, 2012, 06:30 PM
I've had the purple on two hours now. The third round of Color Oops did remove even more of the red, but my hair was like a golden gingery, but at the same time neutralish(yep I make up words) colour at the last stage.

It turned out I couldn't get the special effects colours I wanted because the only store in my area was out, however. I got Purple Haze by Manic Panic. I was sorta worried this would leave me with burgundy hair, but I am feeling a little more confident now.

I may sleep in it over night, or might wash it out before bed...in any case look forward to results tomorrow!! *Oh I hope it works*

raveness13
January 10th, 2012, 06:43 PM
I hope your hair turns out well! Oh, and please post pictures! :flower: I think purple hair would be really pretty!

vanity_acefake
January 10th, 2012, 06:55 PM
Ooh good luck.
I am looking forward to seeing your results.
:)

FrozenBritannia
January 10th, 2012, 07:12 PM
I googled it, and it looks like you should get a really wicked purple!!

Lostsoule77
January 10th, 2012, 09:21 PM
I can't wait for the results pictures!

Gypsygirl
January 10th, 2012, 11:46 PM
You are so brave! :bigeyes: You'd better post a picture for me first thing in the morning, young lady. LOL

GlennaGirl
January 10th, 2012, 11:54 PM
Marking my spot...I have GOT to see this. So excited. Good luck!

LissaJane
January 11th, 2012, 12:50 AM
I too would like to see pics posted!

UltraBella
January 11th, 2012, 01:23 AM
Oh my gosh, I can't wait to see it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the.fee.fairy
January 11th, 2012, 01:29 AM
Argh! It's like a hair soap opera. I'm on the edge of my seat waiting for the result!!

MasCat
January 11th, 2012, 02:56 AM
(insert dramatic hamster sounds) :D

wallflower
January 11th, 2012, 03:20 AM
I say either purple or rose, because even though green is one of my favorite colors as well, I just can't picture dark green hair looking that good in real life (even though I've seen fantasy art where it looks cool). A lighter green, a blue-green, even a neon green, sure... But a dark green, in my opinion, would be really unflattering (at least, the shade I'm picturing would, but it could be different from what you have in mind). It would look almost.... sickly? Like brown hair gone wrong? And I think it would be an unflattering contrast to any skin tone. Maybe it's just me, though.

I've always loved purple hair. If I were to dye my hair any color, it would probably be purple. It's ethereal, mysterious, beautiful... But make sure it would go with your skin tone. A color always brings out its complementary color, and the complementary of purple is yellow. If your skin is already a yellowish tone, purple hair could make it look REALLY yellow. (I love to wear purple lipstick, but it always makes my teeth look so yellow! Ugh).

The rose color also sounds beautiful and fairy-like to me. But if you have an olive complexion, it could make your skin look green. So again, a lot of it will depend on skin tone.

Also think about what colors of clothes you usually wear, you don't want to dye your hair a gorgeous color and then realize it clashes with your clothes. That would suck!

Well, there's an artist's two cents. :P I'm really picky about color harmony, so that would be decision-maker for me. All of the colors are beautiful on their own, but how they will look with your skin, clothes, etc. is a huge factor in whether the overall effect will be beautiful.

wallflower
January 11th, 2012, 03:25 AM
Oops, I posted before reading far enough into the thread. But I think you made a good choice, and I can't wait for the results pics!

My advice could be of help to someone else who reads it, anyway. :)

georgia_peach
January 11th, 2012, 03:53 AM
I'm so excited to see your hair! Is it morning now where you are? Are your pics ready? :D

sibiryachka
January 11th, 2012, 10:32 AM
:popcorn:

Well?????

Calaelen
January 11th, 2012, 11:21 AM
You guys, except for HeidiW will not believe this...I spent a ridiculous amount of money to attempt purple hair and what I got after the colour Oops was a lovely very light henna almost the most natural looking irish red, it was pretty. for about three minutes I considered just leaving it that colour a few days to be certain what I wanted was purple, but no, I wanted purple and I wanted it NOW!

So on went the MP Purple Haze. 4.5 hours later I washed it out and anyone wanna take a guess what happened??
My hair turned almost EXACTLY the same colour it was before I started the process!! :(

I will take pics when I am feeling a little more like it, because results are just not even slightly amazing. My scalp is a nice purple...but my hair is barely changed at all.

So positives, Apparently thr MP will fade out pretty fast, and if I am left with the light henna golden splendor that I had in the pic above I will be happy.
Also, and this is paramount, I didn't damage my hair.

Henna is either an evil, or an awesome beast depending on how you look at it. If you want green or purple hair and have previously hennaed, you're going to think it evil, but if you want red forever, well nothing will give you that quite like Henna...so there, Calaelen wasted a ton of money to remove as much colour as she could, only to go right back to almost the same exact colour within hours... I'm disappointed, but seeing the positives, and if nothing else you can all learn from me.

FrozenBritannia
January 11th, 2012, 12:47 PM
Oh no!! I am sorry to hear it did not work!!

Lostsoule77
January 11th, 2012, 09:04 PM
I'm sorry to hear that. Perhaps when the store has the other brand in you could try that on top of the MP? The other brand sounded like it would be more vivid and so it might give you a more vivid color? No matter what your hair is really lovely and at least you didn't damage it. :)

Gypsygirl
January 12th, 2012, 01:52 AM
Awww... sorry to hear that, sweetie. :flowers:

Amazinggrace
January 12th, 2012, 01:58 AM
I'm sorry it didn't work out the way you wanted it to. I'm sure it is still beautiful. Hopefully it will fade quickly for you.:flowers:

the.fee.fairy
January 12th, 2012, 04:54 AM
Sorry to hear it didn't work. Hopefully it'll fade out to how you wanted it :)

jackie75
January 12th, 2012, 06:04 AM
Bummer!! :( Color oops didn't work that great for me either...even before I tried henna. I had to resort to bleach baths/soap caps. I'm finding that henna is hard to cover with manic panic. I recently mixed up some raven (purpley-red based black) with ultra violet (blue-based purple) trying to tone down the dark red. It was a fail. I'm going to wait a bit and try using my green envy over it.

My ultimate goal is purple too...but I can't decide if I want a red/warm purple or a blue/cool purple.

At least with manic panic, it washes out well for most people (not me though) and you can keep experimenting! Special effects also tend to be a lot more stronger than manic panic.

Don't give up!! :)