PDA

View Full Version : Oiling myths and techniques

chrystalevonne
January 7th, 2012, 09:13 AM
Hi everyone. I have been experimenting with different methods of using oils. I have tried applying from root to tip at bedtime and washing the next day. I've tried only ends to keep me from having greasy hair look and I have also read about how oil doesn't actually penetrate the hair. It only acts as a protectant to seal in the moisture inside the hair.

So after trying different methods. I have found my hair does not seem to benefit much from sleeping in oils or just wearing during the day when applied to ends of hair after it has dried. What I HAVE found is this method that truly works wonders to keep my hair moisturized (at least feeling very moisturized) all through out the day. So this is what I do. CO with non-cone condish (suave naturals Rosemary and mint) then cold water rinse. Then gently squeeze as much water as I can out. And then while still wet apply a generous amount of oil and concentrate on making sure all the ends have been saturated. Then wrap in a turbie twist to allow the heat from my head to work on it a bit. Then style as usual or go to bed ( no blow frying or flat ruin).

This has made my hair feel so amazing for several days. It feels so soft. So smooth and has been the best way to prevent knots and tangles from my damaged ends. This has been amazing for me. It took me a while to trial and error this out. I though I would share and see if anyone else using a method like this.

My theory is that the oil was doing nothing for my hair applied to already dry hair. I guess due to the fact that it doesn't penetrate and just lays on top of already dried hair. Maybe putting it on wet right after a condish it may actually seal in some of the moisture.

Am I correct in my thinking? Or is there something else to this method that is making it work? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!

HintOfMint
January 7th, 2012, 09:21 AM
Overnight oilings never did diddly for me. I prefer putting a small amount in my hair after it's washed and still damp (not soaking wet). It's pretty great with frizz that way.

ktani
January 7th, 2012, 09:22 AM
When you apply oil to dry hair it will help keep whatever moisture is there in longer.

When you apply oil to damp hair, you are helping to keep the extra moisture (water) that has not evaporated yet there longer.

luvnaz
January 7th, 2012, 09:50 AM
I wish I could try this...I need help for my dry hair & ends especially. But I don't like sleeping with my hair wet. I'd probably get an ear infection! But I might try the washing then conditioning then oiling then rinse & air dry? Or would I still feel to oily?

ktani
January 7th, 2012, 09:56 AM
I wish I could try this...I need help for my dry hair & ends especially. But I don't like sleeping with my hair wet. I'd probably get an ear infection! But I might try the washing then conditioning then oiling then rinse & air dry? Or would I still feel to oily?

Your hair needs to be damp not wet. Let most of it dry, then add a bit of oil, not too much, or it can be greasy. That part also depends on the oil used. Some oils are less greasy than others.

Nedertane
January 7th, 2012, 10:15 AM
I agree that it makes it at least just feel moist and smooth (so long as I put in the right amount, which isn't always easy...), but actually, I think the biggest benefit is the detangling. Even if I go to bed with my hair loose, the amount of tangles is DRASTICALLY reduced in the morning, thanks to the oil. And for the most part, it stays that way throughout the day. So, since tangles are my biggest problem, I am sticking with this stuff.

chrystalevonne
January 7th, 2012, 01:26 PM

This method is what I came up with because most others I tried left my hair feeling greasy or did not produce results ( lie not helping with my damaged ends well enough) I would wash. Condition with a cone free ( for me I tried with a cone consist and didn't get as nice of results) then rinse. Then let your hair either air dry some or what I do it just gently squeeze most of the water out. It just has to be damp. Think if it's soaking then it won't work right. Then apply the oil making sure you are covering all the hair from the neck down. Then I woukd not rinse. Just let it dry the rest of the way. I prefer to put in a turbie and let my head heat do a lil magic. Plus the turbie helps to dry my hair faster. U may have to experiment a few times. I sure did but finally found what works for me. Oiling will most definetly help your hair. The trick is finding the balance for you that works. Personally I do not think my hair feels like it has oil in it at all when I do it this way. Just soft. Tangle free. Smooth. And shiney. That's why I posted my technique so others can try and hope it helps someone else. I have perm/color/blow drier and flat iron damage. It was bad! This is making a huge difference. Also I will give one suggestion about trims. I put my last one off wayyyyy too long. I am going for length and couldn't bear seein any go. Even though it was so damaged. But after I just took off half an inch my hair has been breaking off much less. It is not knotting as bad and I am so glad I did finally break down and get the trim.

Long_hair_bear
January 7th, 2012, 01:33 PM
I put in a jojoba leave in after my shower when my hair is damp. I agree with everyone else... It works wonders. :D

goldenmoments
January 7th, 2012, 01:38 PM
That's wonderful you found a method that works for you!

Note that olive oil and coconut oil are absorbed by hair to a certain degree. So they don't just seal in moisture like most oils.

jacqueline101
January 7th, 2012, 01:49 PM
I spray mine on my scalp and massage it in.

moon2dove
January 7th, 2012, 02:18 PM
I sometimes add a little oil to my conditioner. That seems to work for me too.

chocolatecurls
January 7th, 2012, 02:35 PM
Thanks for the tip. I just recently started experimenting with oil so I will definitely give your method a try.