PDA

View Full Version : Fingercomb properly?

joyfulheart18
January 7th, 2012, 08:57 AM
How do I finger comb properly? I find that if I only finger comb in the shower, my hair doesn't come out fully "tangle free". Is that common?

torrilin
January 7th, 2012, 09:15 AM
Think about how you comb your hair with a comb. Chances are you start at the ends, and work your way up. You'll probably tend to hold the tines of the comb in some particular way in relation to your scalp. When I use a comb, I tend to hold it so the tines point down and are roughly parallel with my forehead, even if I'm working way down at the ends. But as I work the tangles out of my hair with the comb, I'll change how I tend to hold it. I'll often do a pair of passes where the comb is held parallel with my temples, and one where the comb is tines up and I work on the bottom layer of my hair.

When I fingercomb, I work in the same kind of way. I'm also a lot more likely to section my hair as a way of finding tangles to work on.

Think about how you detangle with other tools, because chances are you have some tricks that you do with a comb that you aren't applying when you use your fingers :).

Long_hair_bear
January 7th, 2012, 09:26 AM
I finger comb mine dry because my hair is very fragile wet. I start at the ends and work my way up. Then I use a wide tooth comb to get what I missed. It takes longer than a paddle brush, but there's far less damage. :D

HintOfMint
January 7th, 2012, 09:34 AM
I'll fingercomb in the shower, but that's only when I'm working the conditioner in, or rinsing the conditioner out.

Madora
January 7th, 2012, 10:24 AM
While I don't fingercomb often, I've found that using 2 fingers works best.

I bend at the waist, with all my hair in front of me, then insert the 2 fingers (slightly spread apart) and slowly go down my length. After the fingercombing is done, I then detangle with my wide tooth comb.

If you find that using one finger works for you, then go for it. Bottom line, be as gentle and go slowly.

Fingercombing is a great way to generally go through your hair and separate it a bit before you actuallystart to detangle with a comb.

shikara
January 7th, 2012, 11:29 AM
After reading your responses here, I would suggest also googling 'long hair community fingercombing' and reading previous threads on this so you can gets lots and lots of info. Ive only been fingercombing about six weeks and it quickly gets easier as you go about it and learn how to manipulate your fingers for you hair, as another poster here said. Many, including myself, saturate their hair with conditioner. I will work it in about six sections - i dont have tons of hair. I bring my hair over both shoulders to the front to work on it, using the showerhead water to help divide it if i have to. I also NEED to final rinse with diluted lemon juice, although many seem to prefer ACV. Tangles after could be shed hairs that were not fully removed. Of course, I also fingercomb before putting it up for the day, and again before bed. Fir me it is easier without cones in my products, and it may benefit you to discover whether this ingredient is good or not for your fingercombing foray!! Good luck!!

http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb328/lmarie29/th_44053aa6.jpg (http://s1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb328/lmarie29/?action=view&current=44053aa6.jpg)

Long_hair_bear
January 7th, 2012, 12:46 PM
While I don't fingercomb often, I've found that using 2 fingers works best.

I bend at the waist, with all my hair in front of me, then insert the 2 fingers (slightly spread apart) and slowly go down my length. After the fingercombing is done, I then detangle with my wide tooth comb.

If you find that using one finger works for you, then go for it. Bottom line, be as gentle and go slowly.

Fingercombing is a great way to generally go through your hair and separate it a bit before you actuallystart to detangle with a comb.

I love how Madora's responses are always so very thorough. :D

Madora
January 7th, 2012, 01:06 PM

Thanks so much, Long_hair_bear!

Re: the fingercombing procedure...while I bend at the waist, not everyone enjoys doing that, so fingercombing erect is fine too.

I find, however, that the fingercombing is a little easier to do if you part your hair from forehead to nape, then work on each side individually. I have tried finger combing with 5 fingers but preferred to work with 3 fingers or less because it gave me more control and I like to concentrate on smaller portions of my hair, rather than a larger area.

gazelle
January 7th, 2012, 01:21 PM

:D Me too. I always read her responses in any thread, very clear answers

I need to use comb after fingercombing since it does not completely detangle. But I saw members only fingercomb. Maybe it works with straight hair:confused:

Madora
January 7th, 2012, 01:27 PM
:D Me too. I always read her responses in any thread, very clear answers

I need to use comb after fingercombing since it does not completely detangle. But I saw members only fingercomb. Maybe it works with straight hair:confused:

Gazelle, I've never considered fingercombing as a full bodied detangler. I would imagine that method would work better on stick straight hair, but if you want to remove all snarls from your hair, then its best to do as you do, use a wide tooth comb after detangling to make sure those snarls are removed.

The comb tines can detect any knot/tangle/snarl and alert you that it needs to be detangled. Much more effective than relying on your fingers to get all those snarls..especially the tiny ones!

goldenmoments
January 7th, 2012, 01:27 PM
I also have a hard time fingercombing. I find its harder to work up in smaller sections as I try to work up my hair line, so too often I tighten knots :(

Madora
January 7th, 2012, 01:31 PM
I also have a hard time fingercombing. I find its harder to work up in smaller sections as I try to work up my hair line, so too often I tighten knots :(

goldenmoments, you might find it easier to avoid tightening your knots if you hold the suspected knot horizontally, and then try to pick out the snarl by coaxing out the hairs at the top of the knot, then the bottom of the not..alternating from top to bottom a little at a time. If you work on the knot while it is vertical, the knot will tighten and become impossible to get rid of, unless you cut it out.