PDA

View Full Version : Oily hair is not fun.

AshleyTheRed
January 7th, 2012, 03:01 AM
I have oily hair. I can blame heredity and hormones. (yay being a teenager!):rolleyes: Only recently have I found a way to maintain my hair without it being greasy. I can't condition often, and I have a hard time finding the right shampoo. ACV rinses don't help, clarifying/dandruff shampoos are very harsh on the hair and scalp so I do not use them, and normal shampoos do not get rid of the "grease". I can't find advice on here anywhere, and around the web If oily hair advice can be found it is for fine or thin hair. Which can be great! Accept for the fact that my hair is neither fine nor thin.

I have found a few things that work for me.
Beer rinses. (I think there is a thread here somewhere about them. I'll try to find and link it)
Tea Tree Oil Shampoo. (I actually made my own)
Scalp Massage.

Do any of you have oily hair? What do you do to maintain healthy hair? Any advice to share? :D

WinterButterfly
January 7th, 2012, 03:18 AM
maybe use warmer water when you wash your hair. and maybe let it rinse under the water for longer periods of time. some people cant use conditioners with sillicones. how often do you wash your hair? If you wash too much your scalp can over produce oil. the cure for that is cutting back hair washes. and usually this means 2 to 4 weeks of greasy hair.

AshleyTheRed
January 7th, 2012, 03:21 AM
maybe use warmer water when you wash your hair. and maybe let it rinse under the water for longer periods of time. some people cant use conditioners with sillicones. how often do you wash your hair? If you wash too much your scalp can over produce oil. the cure for that is cutting back hair washes. and usually this means 2 to 4 weeks of greasy hair.
I don't use products with silicones, I wash my hair 2-3 times a week. I actually have found something that works for me, but :) thanks for sharing!

terpentyna
January 7th, 2012, 03:21 AM
How did you make a tea tree oil shampoo?

Me - I have an oily scalp, it is a combo of minimal hormone imbalance and definitely environment. I use a shampoo that is based on... GAH - this vegetable, it's a variation of a radish, it's Raphanus Sativus var. Niger in latin (type into google). It has a high sulphur and other mineral content and it's the only thing that, when properly formulated, helps my scalp with the greasiness, itchiness and hair falling out. Not ketoconazole shampoo, panthenol, dandruff shampoos - none of that. Also, in my case, an ACV rinse helps with the itching.

I use a tea tree oil serum for my face and my skin really appreciates it so far, so that's why I ask you about the home made shampoo.

ETA - Also, stretching washes does not work for me, if I can, I hold it out, if not - I have to wash, and I truly have tried stretching...

Vanille_
January 7th, 2012, 03:23 AM
I don't put conditioner on my scalp/roots. Only from the neck down. Also, I use some dry shampoo if my hair is acting up.

AshleyTheRed
January 7th, 2012, 03:24 AM
How did you make a tea tree oil shampoo?

Me - I have an oily scalp, it is a combo of minimal hormone imbalance and definitely environment. I use a shampoo that is based on... GAH - this vegetable, it's a variation of a radish, it's Raphanus Sativus var. Niger in latin (type into google). It has a high sulphur and other mineral content and it's the only thing that, when properly formulated, helps my scalp with the greasiness, itchiness and hair falling out. Not ketoconazole shampoo, panthenol, dandruff shampoos - none of that. Also, in my case, an ACV rinse helps with the itching.

I use a tea tree oil serum for my face and my skin really appreciates it so far, so that's why I ask you about the home made shampoo.

I took a very mild shampoo (think organic baby shampoo not that store brand stuff) that was sulfate free and added tea tree oil. It had to be a mild shampoo because I have sensitive scalp/skin. There is a Tea Tree shampoo that I use, but they were out D:,
ACV helps with my dandruff in the summer time, but not with the oil. Beer however has done wonders. My grandfather (From whom I inherited the thick oily hair) suggested it.

That vegetable based shampoo sounds interesting. I wonder if I can find anything like it around here.

AshleyTheRed
January 7th, 2012, 03:26 AM
I don't put conditioner on my scalp/roots. Only from the neck down. Also, I use some dry shampoo if my hair is acting up.
Can you recommend a dry shampoo? It's something I have never tried because it's usually out of my price range. (However I'm getting graduation gifts soon :D)

Vanille_
January 7th, 2012, 03:30 AM
I use Oscar Blandi Dry Shampoo which I buy cheap on Sephora.

terpentyna
January 7th, 2012, 03:35 AM
I took a very mild shampoo (think organic baby shampoo not that store brand stuff) that was sulfate free and added tea tree oil. It had to be a mild shampoo because I have sensitive scalp/skin. There is a Tea Tree shampoo that I use, but they were out D:,
ACV helps with my dandruff in the summer time, but not with the oil. Beer however has done wonders. My grandfather (From whom I inherited the thick oily hair) suggested it.

That vegetable based shampoo sounds interesting. I wonder if I can find anything like it around here.

Thanks for the tips. I have heard that beer helps to bring out your natural texture, I might try rinsing for the oiliness as well. DBF will not be thrilled, haha...

When it comes to "finding" it - you should try ethnic stores in your area, because I haven't seen any US based ones. If you type "raphanus niger shampoo" into google, some suggestions pop up so you can take a look in your free time (You'll get German, Polish, with a bit of English on the sites).

AshleyTheRed
January 7th, 2012, 03:42 AM
Thanks for the tips. I have heard that beer helps to bring out your natural texture, I might try rinsing for the oiliness as well. DBF will not be thrilled, haha...

When it comes to "finding" it - you should try ethnic stores in your area, because I haven't seen any US based ones. If you type "raphanus niger shampoo" into google, some suggestions pop up so you can take a look in your free time (You'll get German, Polish, with a bit of English on the sites).
Okay! If you rinse the beer out correctly the smell will not linger. xD

Tota
January 7th, 2012, 03:49 AM
I have very oily scalp and a severe case of seborrheic dermatitis. Imagine how fun is that, yay :D For me nothing really works except dry shampoo which I use between washes. As for shampoo - doesn't really matter what kind I use. I switch between medical shampoo (for my seborrheic dermatitis) and shampoo bars. I apply conditioner only to my ends so that doesn't matter either. I do ACV but only because it gives my hair shine - it has no effect on my scalp. :( So for me, the only thing that helps - dry shampoo. I helps me to stretch my washing to every fourth day which is A LOT for me. The other thing that also helps a tiny little bit is wearing hair up as much as possible. I don't know why, it just does. Since I'm sleeping with my top-knot, my hair looks much better and less greasy in the morning - maybe because it's not touching the scalp as much.

jojo
January 7th, 2012, 05:49 AM

the opposite is true, wash with cooler water. Hot water stimulates sebum, try washing in tepid water, use conditioner only ears down and maybe try a vinegar rinse. But the more you wash, the quicker it will get greasier, although the first few weeks would be hard, try washing no more than 2 x a week and evaluate it from there. No biggie if it does need daily washes, but replace 1 of the washes with a CO wash, it wont make your hair greasier and will protect your hair.

Madora
January 7th, 2012, 07:44 AM
AshleytheRed, if at all possible, avoid dry shampoos. They clean by means of friction and it takes a lot of shampooing to get rid of the stuff..which means more mechanical damage.

To help tame some of the oiliness, try placing a white cotton sock over your hairbrush and brush as usual. The sock will soak up some or the oil.

AshleyTheRed
January 7th, 2012, 08:00 AM
the opposite is true, wash with cooler water. Hot water stimulates sebum, try washing in tepid water, use conditioner only ears down and maybe try a vinegar rinse. But the more you wash, the quicker it will get greasier, although the first few weeks would be hard, try washing no more than 2 x a week and evaluate it from there. No biggie if it does need daily washes, but replace 1 of the washes with a CO wash, it wont make your hair greasier and will protect your hair.

I wash my hair in tepid water. (most days) I have tried washing less than three times a week, and it does not work for me. Conditioner of almost any kind is a no go on most days. Although once or twice a week I do condition my hair if I'm not going anywhere the next day.

AshleyTheRed
January 7th, 2012, 08:02 AM
AshleytheRed, if at all possible, avoid dry shampoos. They clean by means of friction and it takes a lot of shampooing to get rid of the stuff..which means more mechanical damage.

To help tame some of the oiliness, try placing a white cotton sock over your hairbrush and brush as usual. The sock will soak up some or the oil.
Thanks Madora! :) I've never tried a dry shampoo, so thanks for the warning.

jojo
January 7th, 2012, 09:12 AM
I wash my hair in tepid water. (most days) I have tried washing less than three times a week, and it does not work for me. Conditioner of almost any kind is a no go on most days. Although once or twice a week I do condition my hair if I'm not going anywhere the next day.
then its probably your hormones, it will get better just wash as you need:)

torrilin
January 7th, 2012, 10:08 AM
Can you recommend a dry shampoo? It's something I have never tried because it's usually out of my price range. (However I'm getting graduation gifts soon :D)

Don't bother with stuff specially sold as dry shampoo. Baby powder or cocoa powder work perfectly well. BUT.

You're typing yourself as a wavy. If you want to maintain maximum wave, that means no brushing. And dry shampoo requires brushing and rather a lot of it, so it is better suited to maintaining a straight look. The way it works is you apply the powder to your dry scalp, comb it through your hair, and then brush until all the powder residue is removed. A boar bristle brush works well. Then wash the brush after.

teela1978
January 7th, 2012, 10:16 AM
I'm a bit of an oily head. I need a sulfate shampoo, which I dilute in a plastic container that I keep in the shower just for that purpose. I find that diluting my shampoo makes it easier to spread it all over my scalp so there aren't any spots that miss out on cleaning. Every once in a while I try sulfate-free, and always end up with little scalp pimples that end up scabby and bleeding (ick). So I stick with sulfates, usually every other day, sometimes daily. They work.

I condition every time I wash, but not anywhere near my scalp. My length is difficult to detangle if I don't!

luvnaz
January 7th, 2012, 11:09 AM
I have very oily scalp and a severe case of seborrheic dermatitis. Imagine how fun is that, yay :D For me nothing really works except dry shampoo which I use between washes. As for shampoo - doesn't really matter what kind I use. I switch between medical shampoo (for my seborrheic dermatitis) and shampoo bars. I apply conditioner only to my ends so that doesn't matter either. I do ACV but only because it gives my hair shine - it has no effect on my scalp. :( So for me, the only thing that helps - dry shampoo. I helps me to stretch my washing to every fourth day which is A LOT for me. The other thing that also helps a tiny little bit is wearing hair up as much as possible. I don't know why, it just does. Since I'm sleeping with my top-knot, my hair looks much better and less greasy in the morning - maybe because it's not touching the scalp as much.

I have the same problems...I've tried so many things to stop the itchy, dry, tight, irritation and the one thing that's worked for me is Nature's Plus beauty bar with allantoin & vitamin E. It balances the acid mantle and smells great! I also got some Florasone for eczema that really helps the itch & irritated spots! Relief at last

:)

Vanille_
January 7th, 2012, 11:15 AM
Sorry. I didn't realize dry shampoo was a no-no. Maybe it's just okay for me? I very rarely use it. And I don't feel like its damaging. I put a little at the top, near my part, rub it gently in, then brush a few strokes until there's no white. I haven't had an issue with residue or anything like that. Then again, I only do it like once a month in an emergency basically.

I can't wait to try the sock method!

Peter
January 7th, 2012, 11:19 AM
To help tame some of the oiliness, try placing a white cotton sock over your hairbrush and brush as usual. The sock will soak up some or the oil.This is interesting. I have wavy hair so I only use a comb -- do you think the sock thing would still work? It's only really my roots that get oily and I'm having trouble picturing how I would go about doing this.

heidi w.
January 7th, 2012, 11:24 AM
I have beyond oily hair: I have Seborrheic Dermatitus, (S.D.), fairly badly too. This is a kind of condition related to Dandruff, and it's pretty bad. Some don't have it quite as bad as I do. It took me a while to find a shampoo that does the trick. I can NOT condition scalp hair. I can NOT put anything on my scalp or it will aggravate and blow up a nasty case of S.D.

S.D. is marked by little red bumps on the skin. These can sometimes erupt, and often they itch terribly which can lead to inflammation and weeping, and even bleeding. Then it dries over in a kind of scale, and the scab of skin, if you will, sort of never comes off and becomes tighter and tighter and more uncomfortable. I had mine diagnosed by a licensed Dermatologist from Stanford Medical Center in California, when I used to reside in California. Nothing solves the problem; there is no cure. There's only managing the symptoms.

I only apply shampoo of a certain kind on my scalp. It took me years to find this shampoo, but it works pretty well. I also found a nice conditioner that additionally helps, but I have to use that shampoo.

I tried ACV rinses, which helped somewhat, but still I had to wash twice a week, fully. And my scalp itched a lot of the time still. I used NIZORAL shampoo both the prescription strength which really helped; and later the OTC version, which worked less well, but it worked.

I used to clarify my hair more regularly. I don't do it anymore. I've only ever oiled the length. I can not put anything on my scalp skin. I have to change the pillowcase fairly often. I have to wash my detangling comb every time I wash my hair or I can create a new outbreak of the problem if I don't.

Now that I know how to handle it better, I have some relief, but the condition persists.

I know all about oily hair, and shorter length doesn't make one iota of difference.

I hear ya!
heidi w.

Tota
January 7th, 2012, 11:30 AM
Sorry. I didn't realize dry shampoo was a no-no. Maybe it's just okay for me? I very rarely use it. And I don't feel like its damaging. I put a little at the top, near my part, rub it gently in, then brush a few strokes until there's no white. I haven't had an issue with residue or anything like that. Then again, I only do it like once a month in an emergency basically.

I'm using dry shampoo or baby powder (depends on what's closer to grab) between washes for almost two years now and I haven't noticed any damage or build-up. I S&D monthly and microtrim every 4 months and that is all, my hair is not damaged and is not excessively shedding. So I guess it has to work for some of us ... I try to use it sparingly though because it does cost quite a lot if you use it often, but I cannot imagine life without it. And the volume I get ... I love it even more than freshly washed hair. So to each their own ;)

And I also have a feeling that it helps with my seborrheic dermatitis because it dries up my scalp and the pain and itching are less intense.

letibear
January 7th, 2012, 11:34 AM
It may seem counter-productive, but has anyone tried combating oily hair by washing LESS often? I know if I were to wash my face too much, and not use a moisturizer, my skin would in turn produce even more oil to compensate. Might the scalp work the same way? I am going to try it, and leave conditioner on ends only.

teela1978
January 7th, 2012, 12:35 PM
It may seem counter-productive, but has anyone tried combating oily hair by washing LESS often? I know if I were to wash my face too much, and not use a moisturizer, my skin would in turn produce even more oil to compensate. Might the scalp work the same way? I am going to try it, and leave conditioner on ends only.

Some members have found that using gentler shampoos, or washing less often with their normal shampoo reduced their oil production. It doesn't work for everyone though (tried it for a month or two, on more than one occasion, just ended up greasier and with little scalp pimples each time). Everyone's head is different and it really depends on your own body's biochemistry.

PennyLaneDream
January 7th, 2012, 03:33 PM
Though I agree you should try and stay away from dry shampoo as much as possible if you need a quick fix I find that a little bit of baby powder (as others have mentioned) works well and surprisingly corn starch actually works really well too. Again, if you use it sparingly you would probably be fine.

AshleyTheRed
January 7th, 2012, 05:12 PM
Don't bother with stuff specially sold as dry shampoo. Baby powder or cocoa powder work perfectly well. BUT.

You're typing yourself as a wavy. If you want to maintain maximum wave, that means no brushing. And dry shampoo requires brushing and rather a lot of it, so it is better suited to maintaining a straight look. The way it works is you apply the powder to your dry scalp, comb it through your hair, and then brush until all the powder residue is removed. A boar bristle brush works well. Then wash the brush after.

I have used baby powder before when I had to go to work and was on the move a lot.

I've tried that. Not for me. In the winter I wash 3-4 times a week, and I wash 2-3 times a week in the summer.