PDA

View Full Version : Manic panic, good, bad, or ok for hair?

Long_hair_bear
January 6th, 2012, 09:32 PM
Hey all!

I wondered what you all thought of manic panic. I know it's vegan, and every time I've used it, it's made my hair very soft and shiny. Now I know bleaching to get it to show up is bad, but aside from that, what do you think of it? I may put it in my dark brown hair to give it a purple shine. :D

FireFlies55
January 6th, 2012, 09:42 PM
I have used 4 or 5 different Manic Panic (bare in mind, I am a naturally light-haired girl, so all of them show up well). I have always found it left my hair conditioned, and silky. Over bleached hair, it comes out harsh, but that may be due to the state of the underlying hair. However, on my natural color it came out shiny, healthy and sometimes richer than my hair looked before. I don't have experience with MP over dark hair, but since your hair is probably in great condition (if not virgin, I am not sure), it ought to soak up the color and give you that purple luster you're looking for.

Crysania
i like manic panic and i dont think its damaging but i dont think its the best dye, its expensive for the small amount in the box, very liquidy

i prefer the punky colour, it smells better, the texture is better and the staying power too

i have some pics in my albums if you wanna see =)

akilina
personally i like it! i like how it sorta fills my hair a little bit and the shine and smoothness.
although it doesnt last long enough for me to want to spend 9 dollars a jar and do it every week :P it would be a fun experiment though to see how the purple turned out! if you do it post pics!!!

FireFlies55
January 6th, 2012, 09:49 PM
its expensive for the small amount in the box, very liquidy

I do agree it's pricey. At least where I am, Beyond the Zone Color Jam is considerably cheaper for more dye. I also know that Kamakaze Purple goes on really vibrant over dark hair from going over a friend's hair. It seems to last longer than Manic Panic, too, but wasn't as moisturizing and I am unsure if it is vegan, so I haven't used it, and if vegan really matters, you may want to investigate.

Long_hair_bear
January 6th, 2012, 09:52 PM
I do agree it's pricey. At least where I am, Beyond the Zone Color Jam is considerably cheaper for more dye. I also know that Kamakaze Purple goes on really vibrant over dark hair from going over a friend's hair. It seems to last longer than Manic Panic, too, but wasn't as moisturizing and I am unsure if it is vegan, so I haven't used it, and if vegan really matters, you may want to investigate.

I've tried beyond the zone and didn't like it. I'm a manic panic fan at heart. I've tried many different neon dye brands and found mp to be the best for my hair type. :)

Vanille_
January 6th, 2012, 10:24 PM
Manic Panic is AWESOME. This is what my dark brown hair looks like in the sun with Vampire Red. NO BLEACH

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z252/onexmorexgirl/DSC01623-1.jpg

same_as
January 6th, 2012, 10:34 PM
Is Manic Panic a wash-out die? Washout dyes are actually very good for your hair. Permanent dye opens the strands up, so the colour can go in. But wash-outs help to close broken and dry hair, because it coats it sort of the same way henna does.

MagicalMystery
January 6th, 2012, 10:38 PM
I like Manic Panic, especially Tiger Lily. :) I'm also a huge fan of Punky Color.

Vanille_
January 6th, 2012, 11:28 PM
My Manic Panic results last for months.

SoulOfTheSea
January 6th, 2012, 11:37 PM
I have brown hair, and I used Manic Panic's Purple Haze AMPLIFIED on it. I made a streak of it, and it lasted for several months. It didn't damage my hair at all and the deep purple looked so awesome in the sun, and I always got compliments on it. I am iffy about your idea about bleaching your hair, when the dye looks just as cool in not bleached hair. Given your hair is light enough, that is.

Ligeia_13
January 9th, 2012, 09:39 AM
Manic Panic is AWESOME. This is what my dark brown hair looks like in the sun with Vampire Red. NO BLEACH

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z252/onexmorexgirl/DSC01623-1.jpg

Holy crap, dude! I have dark brown hair and I was considering putting some Directions red over it but I thought it might not show up. I'll have to follow you to see how it goes! :D

Vanille_
January 9th, 2012, 10:29 AM
I clarified my hair, then finished with a ph balance shampoo (no conditioner). Let my hair dry. Apply. Let sit for four or five hours with a bag over my head. Rinse and done! My hair doesn't feel silky after the rinse out because remember I clarified but didn't use conditioner. Sometimes I use a color safe conditioner on the length during the rinse out otherwise I just wait a day or two.

For the sake of being totally truthful, I guess my hair is medium brown. It just looks really dark to me. But the hair is fine and almost translucent which is why it does this in the light I think. The color is very dependent on light. In low light, my hair still looks brown. But catch me in the sun and BAM haha

omgitssarah
January 9th, 2012, 10:52 AM
Don't want to threadjack, but does anyone know if electric lava/tiger lily would show up in my hair, and what kind of color it would give? My natural color is kind of auburnish, more on the brown side than red, and I want it to be reddishorange.

Ligeia_13
January 9th, 2012, 11:40 AM
For the sake of being totally truthful, I guess my hair is medium brown. It just looks really dark to me. But the hair is fine and almost translucent which is why it does this in the light I think. The color is very dependent on light. In low light, my hair still looks brown. But catch me in the sun and BAM haha

Well, I checked your profile and it looks pretty dark to me. Darker than mine looks anyway. And I don't want ridiculously red hair anymore and since they're conditioning dyes, it sounds ideal :D

Amber_Maiden
January 9th, 2012, 12:33 PM
I found it was fine for my hair! :)

Long_hair_bear
January 9th, 2012, 12:37 PM
I have very dark brown hair and I asked my lovely stylist if she thought manic panic would show up on it as a purple sheen in the light. She said she thought not, but I might try anyway. I have an extra jar of purple haze lying around that I don't know what to do with.

Celtic Morla
January 9th, 2012, 01:05 PM
I hve alwasy found manic Panic to be good to hair. I have used it many times to dye my poodles' hair and it is always in better condition after the dye job. I do agree for staying power Punky Colors is better and just as good but I can't easi;y get it here in this region MP has more of a monopoly since they are in NYC anyhow.