PDA

View Full Version : Silicones or not?

Hollyfire3
January 6th, 2012, 09:17 PM
got this new "natural" detangler today on sale...want to use it but detanglers scare me because of the wave ruining silicones...
heres the ingredients

aqua(water with extracts of organic calendula flower, organic rosemary leaf, organic basil flowe and organic cranberry)Rosemary and basil oils organic sunflower seed oil vegetable glycerin, panthenol (vitamin b) behentrimonium methosulfate (from plant), cinnamidopropyltrimonium (from plant) cinnamidopropyltrimonium choride (from cinnimon) cetearyl alcopolyaminopropyl biguanide SD alcohol 40-B and Sodium Benzoate (non paraben preservatives) citric acid, certified clean fragrance
can someone please look at this ingredients list to see if it contains silcones? i had to type it out, so please excuse the mistypes.

caiti42
January 6th, 2012, 09:25 PM
I see none

Hollyfire3
January 6th, 2012, 09:28 PM
I see none

Yay! I ask because the "stylist" i asked about the detangler saw my massive curls/waves and was instantly freaked...she looked at me like, you want me to recomend stuff for THAT?! Yeah..she even added the "products make the hairstyle" line of crap when i went to buy the stuff! I mean really, yeah my hair is thick and wurly and sorta frizzy, but i mean get over it i just want something to comb all these tangles out...why must hairdressers be so against long, not perfect hair? lol

dulce
January 6th, 2012, 10:22 PM
I have used silicones for years and have curly hair,it doesn't ruin hair or waves.It may work better for some people than others but there is no need to be scared of silicones.

pepperminttea
January 6th, 2012, 10:44 PM
It's 'cone-free. :) For future reference, they're easy to spot in ingredients list - they end in -cone, -conol, and -xane.

dulce: They definitely don't ruin hair, but several people (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=81919) (me included) have noticed that they can straighten hair quite a bit, especially when they build-up. Whether that's good or bad depends on your preference, but it's just something to keep in mind.

dulce
January 7th, 2012, 12:55 AM
I wish it straightened my hair ,I prefer a less curly look!

Carissamarie08
January 7th, 2012, 01:31 AM
I have to have cones or else my hair would be like sand paper. I didn't know it ruined natural waves though. I guess that is a good thing to having straight hair.

jojo
January 7th, 2012, 04:19 AM
Yep its coneless, its using glycerine for slip instead! and totally agree with pepperminttea statement!

julliams
January 7th, 2012, 07:14 AM
Some cones do straighten my hair. Here is my hair after two applications of Dove Intensive Shampoo and Moisturiser http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7162/6443720745_69097af352_m.jpg Obviously there are some serious cones in there.

Now I have been using Kevin Murphy's Luxury Wash and Rinse along with a little bit of Motion Lotion as a leave-in. The Rinse has a couple of cones in it but I have been finding that my hair is getting curlier and curlier with each wash http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7152/6626953755_58145a1132_m.jpg

So my point is, it's not always all cones, it can be certain ones or it could even be something else in the Dove that makes my hair so straight.

It's all about trial and error. I've found something that is working well for me right now so I'm thrilled.

That detangler looks cone-free to me. Looks lovely - what is the brand?

Hollyfire3
January 7th, 2012, 08:19 AM
Some cones do straighten my hair. Here is my hair after two applications of Dove Intensive Shampoo and Moisturiser http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7162/6443720745_69097af352_m.jpg Obviously there are some serious cones in there.

Now I have been using Kevin Murphy's Luxury Wash and Rinse along with a little bit of Motion Lotion as a leave-in. The Rinse has a couple of cones in it but I have been finding that my hair is getting curlier and curlier with each wash http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7152/6626953755_58145a1132_m.jpg

So my point is, it's not always all cones, it can be certain ones or it could even be something else in the Dove that makes my hair so straight.

It's all about trial and error. I've found something that is working well for me right now so I'm thrilled.

That detangler looks cone-free to me. Looks lovely - what is the brand?

Oh wow, some serious cone straightening going on in that first one! Lol, my hair doesnt hate all cones, i just know that detnaglers are usually full of them (but i desperatly need a detagler or else i literally pull my hair out trying to comb!) I'm glad you found something that work for you, this is so hard for me to do at times, because some things work sometimes, then they just dont at others. The detangler is called Original sprout luxuray detangler (or some form of that) but the one i found through google was a less nice, much cone filled version. This is one i found at some salon in the mall (the last bottle) on the sales rack, but i cannot find this exact one online. I will keep looking though, it just seems to be a different formulation then the original I'm finding while googling, so maybe the name is different? I tried it on a small section of hair when i first got it and it was wonderful! Volume and waves stayed (as did my few curls i had) and my hair was just soft enough to detangle, not so slipery it was wet. I would recomend you try it, you may also love it:D. Here, this looks like the right one, http://www.originalsprout.com/ca/styling/12-oz-miracle-detangler.html check it though, it should be the same ingredients i typed out in the first post, and cone free!

julliams
January 7th, 2012, 04:41 PM
Hollyfire, that's in Canada right? I'm in Australia and I'm pretty sure I can't get that one here. But, my husband is Canadian so if I'm in the country in the next year or so I might give it a go. It's good for me to have a list of products I can buy overseas when I travel because I prefer not to take product with me (light packer) and just buy when I'm in town. I'll make a note of it. I wonder why it makes a note of saying it's soy-free. What's wrong with soy???

Hollyfire3
January 7th, 2012, 07:59 PM
Hollyfire, that's in Canada right? I'm in Australia and I'm pretty sure I can't get that one here. But, my husband is Canadian so if I'm in the country in the next year or so I might give it a go. It's good for me to have a list of products I can buy overseas when I travel because I prefer not to take product with me (light packer) and just buy when I'm in town. I'll make a note of it. I wonder why it makes a note of saying it's soy-free. What's wrong with soy???

No, actually, its american:D. You would have to cross the border to get it, but i think the company is in Canada, so it might be from there, i just know i live in the USA and bought it here lol. You can order it online julliams, i am sure amazon or even the product's site has it for sale, just be sure to check the ingredients, because there is the one i posted then a kids version full of many many cones and not as much nice organic, natural ingredients. I am only guessing some people have a problem with soy possibly because of the estrogen or something? it is strange that it would say soy free. But seriously, this stuff is a miracle. I use only 2 tiny squirts (thats right, 2 on my crazy thick, wavy BSL hair!) and it smoothed all frizzies (not in a cone straightening way, but a creamy good type of way that looks amazing) detangled most of my hair, and even made it smell good! I was so impresed! You should order a bottle (it is sorta expensive, and this formula is only avaliable in the largest bottle) and try it out, i think it would work wonders on your hair, because it is similar to mine. :D

Anje
January 7th, 2012, 10:08 PM
Yep its coneless, its using glycerine for slip instead! and totally agree with pepperminttea statement!
I'll bet the behentrimonium methosulfate is also contributing substantially to slip. (It's a cationic surfactant, not a silicone.) I find I get a LOT more slip when I use products with that ingredient.

Hollyfire3
January 7th, 2012, 11:10 PM
I'll bet the behentrimonium methosulfate is also contributing substantially to slip. (It's a cationic surfactant, not a silicone.) I find I get a LOT more slip when I use products with that ingredient.

Lol ok, yeah this stuff is amazing (see previous post in response to julliams for my rave.) What is a cationic surfactant?:confused: