PDA

View Full Version : To shampoo, or not to shampoo?

FireFlies55
January 6th, 2012, 08:31 PM
Okay, so forgive me, it's been a while since I posted, but I have a question.

So, my hair used to be natural blonde with highlights, then a friend of mine with WL hair suggested that I looked better when I had demi-permanently dyed my hair a deep auburn colour. She, being very experienced with henna colouring, offered to colour my hair.
Result:
http://i41.tinypic.com/359ibv6.jpg
Also, this is my natural texture and, as much as I hate it, I am trying to not heat style twice a day anymore (yes, I was a huge hair sinner about a year back).

I am pleased with it actually, but my hair seems a little dry at the ends. Is this normal a few days after henna dye as with regular dye?

So, onto my question:

Right now I wash (with Suave Professionals Naturals) every other day and condition with the Suave conditioner. My hair typically feels okay after that, but lately it's felt dry and tangled. I have never had tangle-prone hair, so I am worried. I have read many articles about not shampooing your hair more than 1-2x weekly, but my roots are so unbelievably greasy, and always have been. My bangs and crown especially look like I stuck lard in my hair and pushed it as flat as possible. It's like the 90's "wet-look" but worse. So what should I do? Going out with gross hair, to me, defeats the purpose of having long hair, so going greasy 5 days a week is not an option. Are there ways to reduce oily scalp without harsh washing?

Sorry this is long, but I am really curious. I have had my hair long before, but never been instructed on hair care, and so my hair has been short most of my life. Right now it is just barely SL and my goal is midback, but I want it to be healthy and shiny when it gets there.

Thanks in advance.

akilina
January 6th, 2012, 08:34 PM
it may feel so greasy because some shampoos cause a wax build up. clarify and do some deep moisture treatments.

FireFlies55
January 6th, 2012, 08:41 PM
What is a good clarifier?

After realizing how many shampoos are apparently lying (promising nourishment, when they actually do more damage than good daily), I am trying to step towards natural, simple solutions.

Darkessa
January 6th, 2012, 08:53 PM
I dont know if you are already doing this, but try Conditioning EVERY day, and Shampooing every other or every two days.
I find that the conditioning every day helps bring the oils from my scalp down to my ends, which makes it look "cleaner". It also simply helps with tangles and overall dryness.

Try this as well. When I started doing the massaging of conditioner into my hair, I saw HUGE improvement in the health of my length. It was incredible.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=206

ALSO

I reccommend a Boar Bristle Brush.
Having dry ends and an oily scalp makes you the perfect candidate.
BBBrushes are specifically designed to bring the oils from your roots, down the shaft and to the ends. They are not for detangling, only for the oils distribution.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=210

I personally started to realize that my ends were dryer all of a sudden, and more prone to tangling.
Then a few days later, i realized I hadnt used my BBBrush in weeks. The day after I started using it again I noticed a significant different in the health and hydration of my ends.

I hope this helps!!!! Good luck and keep us posted! :D

akilina
January 6th, 2012, 08:56 PM
hmm a very simple way would be to get a different shampoo. super cheap basic shampoo like one of the basic suave shampoos and add a little bit of baking soda.
maybe invest in some sort of oil youll like and do some oil treatments
i do like to spread my shamooos out to every 2 days or wash with conditioner in between. i was greasy at first but eventually my hair normalized
another thing that i like is that ive switched to an organic shampoo. i like that i can pronounce the ingredients in it and i know what everything is in it so theres no questions like "uhhh...what is some of this crap?"

ClassicalBlonde
January 6th, 2012, 08:56 PM
I use apple cider vinegar added to water when I clarify my hair and it works great.

I wash my hair every second day with a gentle shampoo. I used to have long hair too (and foolishly cut it!) and it made no difference. Just use something that doesn't make your hair feel dry and I think you should be fine :)

battles
January 6th, 2012, 08:58 PM
Have you tried conditioner only? It doesn't work for me personally, but many members here love it.

PixxieStix
January 6th, 2012, 09:00 PM
I have found that weekly deep conditioning/oiling treatments for my hair has benefited the health tremendously, as well as making my hair shiny and hydrated. If your hair is acting all funky, I'd clarify with baking soda and do a deep conditioning treatment and see how your hair is then.

Have you tried diluting your shampoo with water for starts? If it strips less away, over time your scalp will adjust to it by producing less sebum, allowing you to go longer between washes. :)

kittensoupnrice
January 6th, 2012, 09:14 PM
Right now I wash (with Suave Professionals Naturals) every other day and condition with the Suave conditioner. My hair typically feels okay after that, but lately it's felt dry and tangled. I have never had tangle-prone hair, so I am worried. I have read many articles about not shampooing your hair more than 1-2x weekly, but my roots are so unbelievably greasy, and always have been. My bangs and crown especially look like I stuck lard in my hair and pushed it as flat as possible. It's like the 90's "wet-look" but worse. So what should I do? Going out with gross hair, to me, defeats the purpose of having long hair, so going greasy 5 days a week is not an option. Are there ways to reduce oily scalp without harsh washing?

Hello. I just want to make sure my premises are correct before offering advice.

From what I read, it seems to me that...
1. You are washing every 2 days.
2. Your hair feels kind of dry and tangled on this regimen.
3. When you try to extend washes, your hair gets greasy at the roots.
4. You used to heat style twice a day, and have since stopped.

Is that right?

If it is, then my recommendations are...
If washing every other day works for you, then do it! Stretching washes doesn't work for everybody. Many people cannot go from washing every other day to only once a week. If you'd like to start stretching your washes, try only washing every three days for a while, and if that works out, moving up to four, etc.
Don't feel pressured into only shampooing once or twice a week. There are tons of people here who wash EVERY DAY and still have beautiful heads of hair.

As for feeling dry and tangly, this is probably because you are feeling some of the heat damage on your hair. Unfortunately, without ironing or blow drying, previously inflicted damage is more visible in the form of wurls or curls that won't clump properly and tangles forming. I'd go for some moisture treatments and probably also look into any products that help with slip. Hair oil or cones are good for that.

HTH! :flower:

FireFlies55
January 6th, 2012, 09:37 PM
As for feeling dry and tangly, this is probably because you are feeling some of the heat damage on your hair. Unfortunately, without ironing or blow drying, previously inflicted damage is more visible in the form of wurls or curls that won't clump properly and tangles forming.

I am trying to trim fairly frequently, which is slowing down my growth a little, but it helping get rid of the damage, but I agree that is part of it. Right now, I am doing an hot oil treatment, it has a few more minutes to sit. Thanks for your words on not feeling bad about being unable to stretch washes. I may take your advice and slowly step it into stretching.

Also, I will try baking soda, and diluting the shampoo as well as going with only conditioner between shampoos (obviously, not all at once).

Thanks to Darkessa for the BBBrush suggestion. I had one that I bought, pledging to use it but never did, so I dug it up and used it after finger detangling. It did seem to spread the oils down considerably, and my hair looked way shinier. :)

Thanks to all for the advice. I will report back on what works best. I swear, this is the most helpful forum ever, putting up with my total newbie-ness. :p

Darkessa
January 6th, 2012, 10:20 PM
Thanks to Darkessa for the BBBrush suggestion. I had one that I bought, pledging to use it but never did, so I dug it up and used it after finger detangling. It did seem to spread the oils down considerably, and my hair looked way shinier. :)

Thanks to all for the advice. I will report back on what works best. I swear, this is the most helpful forum ever, putting up with my total newbie-ness. :p

Of course! Thats what we are here for!
Im glad you noticed a difference with the BBBrush! I know it SURELY helps me!

Remember! Patience is a virtue.
:meditate:
You wont see any miracles overnight!