PDA

View Full Version : split ends... or no?

amanda_the_tall
January 6th, 2012, 07:36 PM
hello everyone,
my hair has been really tangly lately, so i've been doing some S & D, but i noticed that i have very few split ends. usually i have around 30, all over my head, but now i've only found a few. i've always thought the tangles were from the split ends catching on other hairs, but now i've noticed my hair is more dry, and the ends are starting to do this weird angle/curl. i've also been using nexxus pro mend leave in treatment, maybe that's causing the dryness, or the ends to be sealed to not show splits?

aisha.christine
January 6th, 2012, 07:43 PM
Have you tried doing a moisture treatment or clarifying?

Madora
January 6th, 2012, 09:21 PM
Try clarifying your hair first, then find a moisturizer. Splits are due to dryness mostly, but rough handling can bring them on also.

Arctic
January 8th, 2012, 05:59 AM
There are several types of damaged ends/hairs, not just the traditional split ends. Here's a link to a SPLIT END CHART (http://images26.fotki.com/v895/photos/1/1038925/4729036/SplitEndChartvi-vi.gif)to show examples of what types there are.

ktani
January 8th, 2012, 06:37 AM
Breakage, not just split ends can cause hair to catch on other hairs. You can s&d a section that tangles and check for white dots or areas of stress on the hair shaft. Not all white dots result in split ends but it does help to snip them off just above the dot or stress point, that is visible as a whiter area on the hair shaft. That area will break eventually.

I agree about clarifying first.

thecandiedmango
January 8th, 2012, 09:41 AM
For some people too much protein can cause dryness and tangles. I second Madora's suggestion: clarify, then moisturize. If the problem persists try taking protein laden products out of your regimen for a couple weeks to see what happens.

amanda_the_tall
February 18th, 2012, 12:43 PM
aha! i've found the culprit- my hair hates protein. a lot of the breakage is from needing more moisture. thank you everyone! <3

Amber_Maiden
February 18th, 2012, 12:45 PM
Definitely clarify (and condition after!).

melusine963
February 18th, 2012, 04:17 PM
There are several types of damaged ends/hairs, not just the traditional split ends. Here's a link to a SPLIT END CHART (http://images26.fotki.com/v895/photos/1/1038925/4729036/SplitEndChartvi-vi.gif)to show examples of what types there are.

Thank you for the link! I think I've found most of these on my head at one time or another :s

sazzie88
February 19th, 2012, 03:52 PM
I have been growing out an angled bob and now currently just below shoulder. I have extremely bad white dots on either sides of my hair just before my ears. These range from 1cm to 2 inches up.

I have tried oiling s&d and leaving I alone. Are they this bad because of its length and me tucking behind ears or is it because my hair gets extremely dry? I co wash every today's and found that my hair is just getting dryer and dryer

Madora
February 19th, 2012, 04:22 PM
I have been growing out an angled bob and now currently just below shoulder. I have extremely bad white dots on either sides of my hair just before my ears. These range from 1cm to 2 inches up.

I have tried oiling s&d and leaving I alone. Are they this bad because of its length and me tucking behind ears or is it because my hair gets extremely dry? I co wash every today's and found that my hair is just getting dryer and dryer

If you're handling those hairs a lot, then that might be contributing to the dots. Can you bobby pin the wayward bits so you don't handle them so much?

You also might consider limiting the co-washing to twice a week and see how your hair responds.

Splits and dry ends are signs of lack of moisture.

Also, you might want to consider clarifying your hair, then shampooing with a gentle shampoo, then using a tiny bit of mineral oil on damp (not wet) hair. The mineral oil helps trap the moisture in your hair but does not leave your hair feeling greasy. It also helps with frizz and static. Use it very sparingly..a drop or two, on your palms and fingers, then go down your damp strands with your fingers.

Ktani has written about the benefits of mineral oil for dryness so you might want to check out her wealth of information.

eta: Ktani's mineral oil link: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=225