PDA

View Full Version : Toner on virgin hair

PennyLaneDream
January 6th, 2012, 05:44 PM
I have natural blonette hair (dark blonde/light brown) with a few very grown out highlights. My hair tends to get a bit brassy, not sure if its from the sun or my water, so I recently purchased manic panic's virgin snow toner. I havent used it yet but I read the instruction and it says to use on bleached hair (obviously for people who are going for the white hair look). My question is: what will it do on my virgin hair? Will it still remove brassiness or will it be completely ineffective? Some insight on this matter would be highly appreciated

Carissamarie08
January 6th, 2012, 06:59 PM
If your natural hair has some brassiness to it then it will try and take that out as well. But since u have natural Blonde hair and bleached Blonde hair I'm not sure if the colors will turn out the same.

Mairéad
January 6th, 2012, 07:04 PM
I think I would find out, first, if the brassiness isn't being caused by hard water instead. Why not give club soda or chelating shampoo a go first? If that doesn't do the trick, how about a violet toned shampoo and/or conditioner that is designed to deal with brassy tones in blonde hair?

spike316
January 6th, 2012, 07:05 PM
A toner will neutralize yellow tones no matter what it's from. It might take a couple of tries for the dye to stick, but it won't hurt anything. ^_^

Carissamarie08
January 6th, 2012, 07:11 PM
I use shimmer lights shampoo from sally's on my highlights. Its a purple shampoo that takes brassiness out.

akilina
January 6th, 2012, 08:07 PM
not sure if it would work as well for you. i used it when i had super bleach blond hair and it did work but im thinking its because the hair was pretty porous and it actually had something to stick into. the cuticle on your hair is probably very smooth and healthy and it would not penetrate in the same way (haha sounds dirty.) it is very semi permanent. and i would recommend the same as above...a purple shampoo.

PennyLaneDream
January 6th, 2012, 09:12 PM
Thanks guys, I've decided to look for a purple shampoo. I wish I could try shimmer lights, I've heard a lot of good things about it but I've never seen it in a store in Canada :(

missdelarocha
January 7th, 2012, 12:20 AM
Well, virgin snow is really meant for bleached to the lightest lemon or butter blonde colour, it's not a very strong purple.

If you're having orange brassiness, you need a more blue toner, only yellow/gold then use purple.
I still think if you bought it you should use it! Manic Panic makes my hair feel lovely, I would recommend leaving it on for an extended period of time, even when I was using Atomic Turquoise I would sometimes sleep with it on (Since this is a toner though and we're not going for purple hair, you should check on it :p.).
It will at least condition your hair and may tone the lightest parts of your hair.

You can also make your own toners! I've successfully toned with a full strength Manic Panic purple colour mixed with conditioner (very diluted), at least that way you can make it a tiny bit stronger than Virgin Snow.

Good luck and please show us your results! :)

P.S, your supermarket will probably have a 'blonde' s+c line somewhere, otherwise a chemist type store or 'beauty supply'.

PennyLaneDream
January 7th, 2012, 12:58 AM
After reading another post on manic panic where most people were saying it helped with the condition of hair I thought why not? Even if it makes no difference to the colour at least my hair will be soft! Besides, the ends of my hair are really quite light so it might freshen up my colour a bit. Thanks for the encouragement and I will try to post pics after I use it :)

beckishness
January 7th, 2012, 01:45 PM
My hair is in a similar situation as yours. I have dark blond hair and I am growing out some highlights and blond dye. I tried Virgin Snow about a month ago, and it did make my brassy ends look a tiny bit lighter, but honestly there wasn't that much of a difference. I tried it again earlier this week (sorry, I don't have pictures) but this time I added this: http://www.sallybeauty.com/professional-protein-filler/SBS-636303,default,pd.html. I used about 50/50 of both the Virgin Snow and the filler. I left it on my hair for about an hour and a half, and when it was finished my ends lost their brassy orange sheen and now are a paler gold color. It blends with the undyed portion of my hair very well. It wouldn't hurt to give Virgin Snow a try, but I would definitely suggest trying to get your hands on a purple shampoo as well. Good luck!

PennyLaneDream
January 7th, 2012, 02:40 PM
Ooh thanks for the tip! I have enough product that I might do the same as you did, try it first by itself and if it doesn't do much I'll have a look for that purple stuff as well

ktani
January 7th, 2012, 07:02 PM
Thanks guys, I've decided to look for a purple shampoo. I wish I could try shimmer lights, I've heard a lot of good things about it but I've never seen it in a store in Canada :(

I have seen it at Shoppers Drug Mart.

sfgirl
January 7th, 2012, 07:41 PM
I've used manic panic virgin snow, and I've used other more harsh toners. Personally I HATED it, because it wasn't easy to apply (the foam just doesn't penetrate well), and it's really hard to get even. Their gel was a bit better (the one that doesn't come in a little tub).
If you can find another method I would go for it, sorry I don't have any more to recommend.

PennyLaneDream
January 7th, 2012, 11:25 PM
That would be awesome if they have it at shoppers! thanks for that I'll look next time I'm there :)

And I have the manic panic in a tub but I didn't know that it was a foam! It looks normal in the tub, does it foam when you try to apply it? I'll probably test it out anyways since I've bought it and all...

spike316
January 8th, 2012, 11:14 AM
I mix kool aide in with my shampoo and conditioner occasionally when my hair is looking yellow, it's not permanent and is a bit messy, but it's not damaging at all! Might be worth a try for you. ^_^

ktani
January 8th, 2012, 11:34 AM
That would be awesome if they have it at shoppers! thanks for that I'll look next time I'm there :)

You are very welcome.

sfgirl
January 8th, 2012, 02:28 PM
And I have the manic panic in a tub but I didn't know that it was a foam! It looks normal in the tub, does it foam when you try to apply it? I'll probably test it out anyways since I've bought it and all...

Personally I didn't like the consistency. Since you already have it though you might as well try it out, especially since you're not using it on bleached hair it won't look uneven. If you do ever want to use their gel (or get anything else from them, I used to really love their clip in extensions, but they made them a lot more thin the last time I reordered them) go through their website. A lot of times they give you a little goody like lipstick or nail polish. :D

PennyLaneDream
January 8th, 2012, 03:28 PM
I mix kool aide in with my shampoo and conditioner occasionally when my hair is looking yellow, it's not permanent and is a bit messy, but it's not damaging at all! Might be worth a try for you. ^_^
Interesting! For the long run I'm looking for something to correct the problem (I realize manic panic isn't permanent either) but I've always wanted to experiment with kool aid colouring so it's good to hear that its not damaging!
And thanks sfgirl for the tip about going through the website, I was afraid of shipping costs so I looked for it elsewhere but in the end I think it would have been a lot more straight forward through the website

FrozenBritannia
January 8th, 2012, 04:40 PM

It can be bought from well.ca
Or it least it used to be. I bought some from them just over a year ago.