PDA

View Full Version : Do antidepressants stunt hair growth?

Mkay
January 6th, 2012, 03:27 PM
I'm genuinely curious, considering they slow down your body, correct? Has there been any information or studies on this? If this is the case, man I don't know what I'll do! Thank you!

amantha
January 6th, 2012, 03:45 PM
I've never heard of anti-depressants slowing down your body nor stunting hair growth. I've been off and on them for about 6 years and my hair has always grown at the same rate and my activity levels have always been the same.

Some anti-depressants might make you sleepy. So that is the only thing I can think of that they could do to "slow" you down.

Obviously I'm not a doctor so someone correct me if I'm wrong here.

But yeah I don't think you have anything to worry about! :)

vanity_acefake
January 6th, 2012, 03:50 PM
Having being on antidepressants constantly since 2000 I promise you that they do not slow down hair growth. They work on the brain not the body.

sbhonda
January 6th, 2012, 04:01 PM
I doubt the effect would be significant either way, but I think if anything they would improve hair growth that may have been slowed down by depression. Depression itself can slow down your body processes, including healing and possibly hair growth too I suppose. Treating the depression might allow one's body to get back to its normal level of functioning, if it wasn't already there.

Mkay
January 6th, 2012, 04:16 PM
Alright, awesome! I was a little worried but I'm glad it won't affect anything!

ALongSummerWind
January 6th, 2012, 04:18 PM
Some do, it depends upon which ones you take and how much. Go onto a med site and look up you med and possible side effects, this may help. The worst one I have heard of for causing hair loss is Depakote

ALongSummerWind
January 6th, 2012, 04:19 PM
I'm genuinely curious, considering they slow down your body, correct? Has there been any information or studies on this? If this is the case, man I don't know what I'll do! Thank you!
Which one are you on?

Sushi144
January 6th, 2012, 06:38 PM
I used to take prozac and now I take seroplex, I don't think it did anything to my hair. They make your brain stop producing some kind of hormone which brings anxiety. I felt sleepy at first but as I feel better now and therefore have a better diet, my body and hair feel good. :)

PixxieStix
January 6th, 2012, 09:09 PM
Eat right, sleep well, get an appropriate amount of exercise and things should keep chugging along the way they were, hopefully sans depression though. :)

pepperminttea
January 6th, 2012, 10:14 PM
It'll depend on the specific drug, but citalopram definitely didn't slow down my hair growth when I was on it. If anything, because I was less stressed all the time, I felt healthier generally. :)

nicolezoie
January 6th, 2012, 10:32 PM
Having been on more antidepressants than I care to recall at the moment, none of them slowed my growth, but the one I'm on right now seems to be causing a little bit of thinning - cymbalta - but that could be growth cycle thing for me. So its hard to say for sure. I just went thru a major shed, but I'm experiencing massive regrowth now so ????

Good luck!

Mkay
January 7th, 2012, 09:28 AM
Thanks everyone! I currently take Celexa and Lamictal, which is citalopram and lamotrigine. I've been on antidepressants which made me gain weight and be groggy before so I was curious if it stunted hair growth as well. Good to know, I just don't want all of that interfering with my hair!