PDA

View Full Version : Monstrous Haircut from Hell (with pics)

AnAudLife
January 6th, 2012, 03:25 PM
Some of you may recall my first post...I was distraught over a VERY bad haircut. I've always had long, all one length, naturally curly hair...and I went to a highly recommended stylist to have some long layers cut in my hair, it's so thick and heavy and I thought that maybe some layering would help.

Well, the "stylist" gave me 80's layers...you know the ones, short layers, like when we "feathered" our hair. The very top of my hair was literally 2 1/2 to 3 inches long and he layered it down from there. So I lost a lot of volume all over as well as the sides being significantly shorter. The back was still a little long, not to my liking but at least I could still be considered having long hair.

I haven't been able to take any rear pictures of myself but I did finally have the heart and stomach to take a picture from the front.

As you can see, I always wore it up in a clip to pull it out of my face. I've always had bangs because I loathe my hairline, it's high and it makes my forehead look huge if I don't have bangs.

First, let's look at the old Audrey, with long beautiful curls:

http://i424.photobucket.com/albums/pp329/AudaciousAudrey4367/Audreys%20Pics/BrittanyMe2002.jpg

http://i424.photobucket.com/albums/pp329/AudaciousAudrey4367/Audreys%20Pics/April2005001_1.jpg

http://i424.photobucket.com/albums/pp329/AudaciousAudrey4367/Audreys%20Pics/Profile091010028fixed.jpg

In this photo, I'm wearing it down, not pulled up into a clip. That is so hard to do with heavy natural curls and all day I was pushing it out of my face but it looked good anyway.

http://i424.photobucket.com/albums/pp329/AudaciousAudrey4367/Audreys%20Pics/Profile061511001.jpg

And here's one when my daughter used the flat iron on my curls...that little task took literally 2 hours!

http://i424.photobucket.com/albums/pp329/AudaciousAudrey4367/Audreys%20Pics/082404004.jpg

And here I am now:

http://i424.photobucket.com/albums/pp329/AudaciousAudrey4367/Audreys%20Pics/Profile110911013.jpg

I think if you look around my head you can see how short the layers really are. The only way to really manage it and make it appear halfway decent is by wearing a headband which I have on in the above picture.

I CAN'T wait for it to grow out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's driving me crazy and I feel like I look like a hot mess. I hate it!!!!!!!!!!!! It's sooooooo short ALL over!!!

kdaniels8811
January 6th, 2012, 03:40 PM
Oh, that is terrible if it is not what you wanted, you did lose a lot of hair. But what you have looks healthy and pretty. It will grow back - maybe you can learn to do the self trim!

newbeginning
January 6th, 2012, 03:44 PM
I honestly think it's not that bad. I think your texture hides a lot of the problems you think you have. I think it looks good actually.

AnAudLife
January 6th, 2012, 03:44 PM
Oh, that is terrible if it is not what you wanted, you did lose a lot of hair. But what you have looks healthy and pretty. It will grow back - maybe you can learn to do the self trim!

No it's absolutely NOT what I wanted...I wanted LONG layers, not short 80's layers! It's healthy alright, what's left of it. I've never had much problem with split ends but it's always been dry which isn't a good combo with natural curls.

Yes, it will grow back, but it's gonna take forever! :(

Thanks though.

AnAudLife
January 6th, 2012, 03:45 PM
I honestly think it's not that bad. I think your texture hides a lot of the problems you think you have. I think it looks good actually.

Thank you, I just miss my "all over" long trusses. :(

Long_hair_bear
January 6th, 2012, 04:10 PM
She's lucky it wasn't me. I would've taken her head off with her own scissors. I'm very sorry for your loss. :blossom:

caiti42
January 6th, 2012, 04:21 PM
I honestly think it looks a lot more modern that how your hair was before. I like it.

Sorry it's not what you wanted though. But it will grow out!

AnAudLife
January 6th, 2012, 04:37 PM
She's lucky it wasn't me. I would've taken her head off with her own scissors. I'm very sorry for your loss. :blossom:

It was a he and trust me when I say he got an ear full, I doubt he'll ever forget me.

I honestly think it looks a lot more modern that how your hair was before. I like it.

Sorry it's not what you wanted though. But it will grow out!

It does look a little more "up-to-date" I guess. My daughter always hated the way it was, she hated me pulling it back and up into that clip. She said I looked "way out of style", but that was okay, I liked it and ironically I got a lot of compliments on my hair the way it was.

Ho-hum...I wish we could speed up the growth process. I will never let another person touch my hair again i can assure y'all.

catamonica
January 6th, 2012, 05:00 PM
Your hair is beautiful. But it will grow back. I used to trim my own hair. But I wear a bun most
of the time, & dont have to trim. Buns promte growth. And my hairs finally growing again.
If you can find a good stylist thats fine. But I wont let anyone cut my hair. Ive read to many
beauty parlor horror stories online.

Amber_Maiden
January 6th, 2012, 05:02 PM
Your hair will grow. Patience Patience.

jacqueline101
January 6th, 2012, 05:12 PM
I like it but I'm sorry you don't.

spidermom
January 6th, 2012, 05:13 PM
You have really pretty hair, both before and after the haircut. Wow - the stylist obviously didn't understand the term "long layers".

Have you tried the bangs longer? I think they're too short.

missdelarocha
January 6th, 2012, 05:35 PM
First off, your curl texture is beautiful! No matter the style you will always have that.

I'm sorry to hear that he took a lot more length off than you would have liked, he should know much better, if it's any reassurance it looks like the same haircut but shorter, I think it will grow out nicely!

I was reading about your fringe and just wanted to suggest that you could make it a little fuller, to me personally the thinness is further accentuated by the shorter layers that have been cut in, overall creating a more out dated look. It's seems the hair behind the fringe has nowhere to go but back so adding more to the fringe would allow the rest of the hair to hang beside it, another option would be a longer, more side swept fringe.

Anyway those are just some ideas that might help, ultimately your hair is still very pretty IMO! :)

spidermom
January 6th, 2012, 06:18 PM
A longer, more side-swept fringe sounds good to me, also.

GlennaGirl
January 6th, 2012, 06:34 PM
I think your hair looks INCREDIBLY cool, am I crazy?

Carissamarie08
January 6th, 2012, 06:39 PM
A fuller bang and your good to go! :)

Aliora
January 6th, 2012, 06:45 PM
This is exactly why I refuse to let anyone else touch my hair, it seems like they never listen. Sorry she messed it up, it still looks nice though!

ktani
January 6th, 2012, 07:43 PM
I think you look great! The hair? It will grow and it does look a lot shorter but you are carrying it off very well.

Be patient. There is nothing you can do until it grows in and it will do that. You do not look bad, period. You are just not used to it. You have not lost your gorgeous curls.

WaterMusic
January 6th, 2012, 07:59 PM
To be honest, I can't really tell the difference. I think the texture of your hair hides the layers for the most part. However, I really think you should consider thicker bangs.

lindaton
January 6th, 2012, 08:53 PM
You are a very pretty girl with such beautiful curls and I know exactly how you are feeling. Ive been there. I also agree with what miss dellarocha said. Again I love your curls!

beachgirlla
January 6th, 2012, 09:11 PM

LOL, LOL, LOL :D

utdesertrunner
January 6th, 2012, 09:12 PM
I also like it better too. And agree with the fuller bang suggestions. Gorgeous curls you have there!

AnAudLife
January 6th, 2012, 09:18 PM
Gawd...thank you ALL for making me feel a little better. I'll try fuller bangs, I've even thought of letting them grow out a bit, straighten only the bangs and sweep them to the side, my daughter does that with her natural curls and I think it looks great. Here's a photo of her to give you a better idea what I'm talkin' about.

http://i424.photobucket.com/albums/pp329/AudaciousAudrey4367/Family%20Pics/020409.jpg

One of you said that you couldn't tell the difference...neither can my husband...I hope everyone else is that way too, lol.

I'm so envious of all the long hair I've been seeing around here. I really miss mine terribly and will be so happy when it gets back to where it was.

Lesson learned here.

AnAudLife
January 6th, 2012, 09:21 PM
Oh and also, thank you for the compliments...I can't tell you how much that makes me feel better about myself. Ever since the day of the horrendous haircut my self esteem has been in the toilet.

caiti42
January 6th, 2012, 09:24 PM
Your daughter is stunning and I agree that style of bangs would look great!

lacefrost
January 6th, 2012, 10:26 PM
I think you're beautiful and your hair is too! The cool thing about curly hair is that even when people mess our hair up, no one can tell but us! Curly hair always looks good if it's healthy.

Your hair will grow. And before you know it, you'll be looking at pictures of your hair today and will be SHOCKED at how much it's grown. Hang in there!

AnAudLife
January 7th, 2012, 10:46 AM
Your daughter is stunning and I agree that style of bangs would look great!

Thank you! I'll tell her, you'll make her day.

I think you're beautiful and your hair is too! The cool thing about curly hair is that even when people mess our hair up, no one can tell but us! Curly hair always looks good if it's healthy.

Your hair will grow. And before you know it, you'll be looking at pictures of your hair today and will be SHOCKED at how much it's grown. Hang in there!

Awwww, thanks! You're right, it's easier to "hide" bad haircuts when you have curls.

heidi w.
January 7th, 2012, 11:35 AM
You appear to have a long face, kind of, so I am not certain that that lift on top is so necessary? You are a very pretty lady and your daughter is also very pretty.

If you ever again want straighter hair and less curls, consider instead of flat ironing using rollers, large ones, to smooth the hair, and a low heat setting to dry it. Roll it under so the ends will be finished. Most curlies kind of like this look sometimes, as an alternate look. That's what's fun about curly hair, you can play with it a whole lot more than my hair type: stick straight and kind of heavy.

Your newest cut doesn't look that bad. Honest. I kind of like it better than the longer lengths, especially in combination with that poofy top portion. That's kind of 70s.

I know that Jersey Girls and others mimic this kind of peak of hair these days in the center, top of hte head, and frankly, I think it looks kind of silly on most. These people have these really pretty faces and nice bone structure, as you do, and they undo it with this overly focused bit of poof that is distracting for a more complete look. I'm not that good-looking myself, and I'll never have any body.

You have beautiful eyes, and super nice bone structure. I would allow these features to shine a whole lot more.

heidi w.

MsBubbles
January 7th, 2012, 11:53 AM
Oh my goodness, your daughter's hair looks gorgeous styled like that, and you would too! You have a very pretty face. I'm sorry you lost so much length from that salon trip. I'm not sure if there's a good self-trim method for curlies (since I'm sadly devoid of any curl, myself), but if there is, somebody here will know about it. There should be no reason for you to EVER have to go through that again. If you can trim your own hair, you have 100% control over how much comes off.

AnAudLife
January 7th, 2012, 11:54 AM
Thanks Heidi.

I would love to use hot rollers or even a curling iron, but if I so much as even touch my hair after it's air dried it frizzes to a huge poof ball, literally. I've never found any product or appliance to allow me to do anything other than air dry and a little fluff.

I hear ya about the "jersey girl" thing and you were close...I'm from Texas and I so can't get over the "big TX hair" thing. lol I've worn my hair in "the clip" for over 20 years, watching new hair styles come and go, stuck in the same ole-same ole. I'm okay with it, at the end of the day if the person you're looking at in the mirror is happy (and your husband of course) then that's all that really matters.

I'm experimenting everyday with different styles to get me through this awkward growing period. Growing out my bangs is gonna kill me but I'd really like to try the side sweep thing like my daughter has.

Thanks for the compliments.

heidi w.
January 7th, 2012, 12:01 PM
Thanks Heidi.

I would love to use hot rollers or even a curling iron, but if I so much as even touch my hair after it's air dried it frizzes to a huge poof ball, literally. I've never found any product or appliance to allow me to do anything other than air dry and a little fluff.

I hear ya about the "jersey girl" thing and you were close...I'm from Texas and I so can't get over the "big TX hair" thing. lol I've worn my hair in "the clip" for over 20 years, watching new hair styles come and go, stuck in the same ole-same ole. I'm okay with it, at the end of the day if the person you're looking at in the mirror is happy (and your husband of course) then that's all that really matters.

I'm experimenting everyday with different styles to get me through this awkward growing period. Growing out my bangs is gonna kill me but I'd really like to try the side sweep thing like my daughter has.

Thanks for the compliments.

I wouldn't use hot or steam rollers nor a curling iron (too small of a barrel for your level of curl). And I wouldn't wait to air dry the hair. You roll the hair on very large barrels (the smaller the barrel the more curl you achieve). George Michael, the long hair care enthusiast rolled the hair on super large-sized barrels of rollers, while the hair is still wet, and set the head under a heat dryer, setting the cap on low heat to dry the hair. It helps to smooth out the hair, and they say it can help with frizz, too.

The side sweep would be a nice look for you. A lot of people look good with a touch of asymmetry. It will feel really weird if you've been having your look remain constant for 20 years, with nary a change. It'll just feel weird to you. So be prepared for that. A side sweep and that bit of peacock effect doesn't usually go well together.

heidi w.

wicked kisses
January 7th, 2012, 12:04 PM
Now I'm curious: Did he use a dry or wet method?

I'm just now rediscovering my curls.

ArcticNights
January 7th, 2012, 12:29 PM
So sorry for what the hair dresser did to you! :(

But, I also think you look very pretty, with your hair at the length it is now. And i think a little bit of fuller bangs would look great on you :) That is something you can change right away, dont have to wait.

In time, you will have your lenght back. Been there, done that. By the way..., have you concidered plopping your hair?

Syrena
January 7th, 2012, 12:33 PM
Wow! You are very beautiful! My hair journey tought me to be patient. And it will take some time until your hair will grow back, but the patience will be so worth it!;)

spidermom
January 7th, 2012, 12:41 PM
Your daughter is gorgeous, and you should totally try the side-swept bangs.

cleanbug
January 7th, 2012, 12:44 PM
A longer, more side-swept fringe sounds good to me, also.

I agree. I actually don't mind your current length.
I would, however suggest a thicker side swept bang
as well. It is so frustrating when hairdressers don't
do what theyve been asked to :-(

AnAudLife
January 7th, 2012, 12:47 PM
So sorry for what the hair dresser did to you! :(

But, I also think you look very pretty, with your hair at the length it is now. And i think a little bit of fuller bangs would look great on you :) That is something you can change right away, dont have to wait.

In time, you will have your lenght back. Been there, done that. By the way..., have you concidered plopping your hair?

Plopping? Is that when you roll segments of your hair with your fingers and plop it onto of your head with a loose clip until it dries? If so yes...it didn't give me a different result as just plain old air drying.

A LOT of people really just don't get some types of curly hair. Mine is the type where it frizzes so bad if I try and work with it too much. No hair dryer can be used at all, even rollers under a cap, diffusers, low blow setting, low heat setting, it doesn't matter...can't do that. I've had several stylists refuse to do my hair, they all say they can manage it until they've tried and failed several times saying the usual "I've never had that happen", which translates to "I should have listened to you before I even attempted it because obviously I don't know what the hell I'm talkin' about". I guess you can tell I'm still angry with any hair care person right now, lol.

I literally get out of the shower, brush out my hair, coat it with gel then a light burst of hair spray all over and wait for it to dry. Then I go back to the bathroom, fluff it very lightly with my fingers and a pick and spray again. If I work with it too much I'll have to re-wet it because it starts frizzing so bad.

Wow! You are very beautiful! My hair journey tought me to be patient. And it will take some time until your hair will grow back, but the patience will be so worth it!;)

Awww, thanks Syrena.

ArcticNights
January 7th, 2012, 12:48 PM
I definately agree with Spidermom, your daughters style of bangs will suit you too. Go for it! ;)

Plopping is a way of drying the hair. A lot of curlies think its great, and it makes curly hair look more put together. I have no experience with it, as my hair is as straight and thin as a sheet.

Melisande
January 7th, 2012, 01:18 PM
Audrey, you are a very pretty woman and I can't believe you have such a grown up, gorgeous daughter. Good genes over there in TX...

But your longer hairstyle, as lovely as your curls are, was a bit of a rut it seems. I'm certainly not one of the change-your-hairstyle-with-the-seasons kind of person, just the opposite. Nevertheless, I'd take this mishap as chance to change my look, de-clip my hair, change the bangs and the bigh-hair-esthetic, and play around with options. That'll make the time pass faster!

Your hair will grow. the wonderful thing about curls is that they look lovely no matter what. And your new hairstyle looks very pretty on you. Even if you don't like it ;-)

I know why I have been envious of curly girls all my life!!!

chocolatecurls
January 7th, 2012, 03:10 PM
I am a curly girl, and I agree with lacefrost - we notice the changes in our own hair more than other people do.
It is devastating when we get a "not at all what we asked for" kind of cut.
I can tell that your hair is not as thick as it was before, but your new cut does not look awful. I think you still look lovely. :)
Since you have to sport the new 'do until it grows out now is the time to experiment with the bangs. That way if you don't like the thicker bangs then you can grow them out with your short layers. Just try to make the best of it and have fun trying new hair accessories while it grows out.

Charybdis
January 7th, 2012, 03:31 PM
AnAudLife, I'm really sorry that happened to you. It's terrible when stylists (to whom you are paying good money) fail to listen to you.

That said, I think you look good with the new cut, and agree with the folks who are saying that it's time to try something new with the bangs. I have a high forehead too, and I gave up on bangs ages ago because of the constant maintenance -- and realized that my forehead looks just fine without them. I bet yours does too. Actually, I bet your current cut would look good to my eyes without the headband and with the bangs left curly and allowed to blend in with the rest of the hair. Your daughter's 'do also would probably work for you when your bangs get longer.

Your hair texture sounds very much like my DH's. If his hair is manipulated too much as it dries, it turns into a mass of frizz, and the only thing that tames it is to rewet the hair. I can't imagine what would happen if you tried to use a hairdryer on his hair. So I know what you mean about no hairdryer, no way!

jojo
January 7th, 2012, 03:44 PM
I dont actually think its terrible at all . My advice is grow your fringe out, theres nothing wrong with your forehead, your a very pretty lady. Your just not used to not having a fringe. Id suggest CO washing and allowing even more of those gorgeous curls to emerge, your hair is beautiful, stop putting yourself down, relax many people pay good money for those curls, you have them naturally!

ETA- i just read all the comments after i submitted mine and just seen your daughters hair, beautiful! and I agree with Heidi, you dont need the height on top, your face shape is the same as mine. I have a high forehead too and go from fringe to no fringe. I prefer mine now (go on shoot me spidey :P) without so it growing out again!!! I still vote no fringe and i still think your hair is pretty!

faellen
January 7th, 2012, 03:50 PM
Wow, I would pay through the roof for curls like that! I wish I had them!

I agree with what the other ladies here have said, the haircut is not so bad as you think :)

julliams
January 7th, 2012, 04:30 PM
I agree with most of what has been said here. I used to do that pouf thing too to get height and to me, that's the 80's looking bit. When I do the pouf now, I always feel very 80's even though I like the look, I'm suddenly in high school again.

The rest of your hair, to me, looks better and more modern now. I would either thicken the fringe in a sideswept thing, or lose it altogether. Show off that pretty face. I think this may be one of those cuts that really grows on you (pardon the pun) as you get used to the idea. It's really hard to embrace change when it's thrust upon you like this one was, but I honestly think it really does look great on you. When you see it flat ironed out, you can see that the layers are not really that long - looks like the shortest ones are shoulder length. The stylist just didn't take into account how much shrinkage you get. Perhaps in the future, you will need to point that part out specifically, like "I get 4" of shrinkage so if I'm to have a layer that's BSL, you need to cut it at waist for it to spring to BSL". I have wavy hair so my shrinkage is only about and inch or two. She should have known this looking at your hair but sometimes you need to point it out.

BTW, I just wanted to add that that pink makeup looks amazing on you. You really rock pink!

spidermom
January 7th, 2012, 04:50 PM
You brush your wet hair?!
Bad idea.

Well, I guess that's a bit of an over-reaction. I'm sure you know how to work with your hair. But really - I think a wide-tooth comb would be a much better option.

elbow chic
January 7th, 2012, 06:20 PM
I think it looks great too. The one-length look IS romantic and lovely, but yes, the new one looks more modern.

And you do NOT look old enough to have a big-girl daughter!

AnAudLife
January 8th, 2012, 10:29 AM
THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR ALL THE LOVELY COMMENTS. It's nice to hear it from people other than family....family tends to be more gentle with their observations whereas strangers will be more inclined to tell you the truth.

When you see it flat ironed out, you can see that the layers are not really that long - looks like the shortest ones are shoulder length. The stylist just didn't take into account how much shrinkage you get. Perhaps in the future, you will need to point that part out specifically, like "I get 4" of shrinkage so if I'm to have a layer that's BSL, you need to cut it at waist for it to spring to BSL".

julliams, All the pictures, including the flat ironed one, is BEFORE the haircut. :)

You brush your wet hair?!
Bad idea.

Well, I guess that's a bit of an over-reaction. I'm sure you know how to work with your hair. But really - I think a wide-tooth comb would be a much better option.

spidermom, I use an air brush and it's more like a comb, I never use one of those old-fashioned, millions of bristles, brushes. I've always used the air brush since they came out in the early 80's and my hair has always been in great shape so I don't think I'm doing any harm.

Thanks again, everyone!!!

Kaelee
January 8th, 2012, 10:35 AM
Wow, I know it's not what you wanted and I'm so sorry you got the big chop you didn't want- but I think your hair looks AMAZING now!

I had a really bad haircut one time (I thought it was really bad at any rate) and everyone said "oh but it looks so cute! Why are you upset?" LOL I still think it looked really bad.

AnAudLife
January 8th, 2012, 10:37 AM
Wow, I know it's not what you wanted and I'm so sorry you got the big chop you didn't want- but I think your hair looks AMAZING now!

I had a really bad haircut one time (I thought it was really bad at any rate) and everyone said "oh but it looks so cute! Why are you upset?" LOL I still think it looked
really bad.

LOL, I think we're all our worst critic, I know exactly what you mean!

AnAudLife
January 8th, 2012, 10:40 AM
julliams, All the pictures, including the flat ironed one, is BEFORE the haircut. :)

Let me clarify that, all are before the haircut except the last one where I'm wearing the pink shirt, that's the after.

Lostsoule77
January 8th, 2012, 11:38 AM
I understand why you are so upset. Your long curls were gorgeous. However your current cut is more flattering and current (this is coming from someone who doesn't follow fashion & has had the same hair style her whole life so take it as you will.) Most of your "before" pictures I would think were taken in the 80's. If you went in looking like this perhaps this is why the stylist cut your hair like 80's layers? :shrug: People like to ignore what we say and interpret our words into what they think we really mean. I am sorry he didn't listen to what you were saying and that you got a cut you didn't like. I know how you feel. Just be happy that it's not permanent. :)

I also think that you could benefit from either no bangs or thicker bangs. Your daughter looks very similar to you so her style that looks so good should look just as good on you. :D

Play with your hair and learn some new styles and you will be back to those long curls in no time. For now enjoy your hair as it is and realize that your curls are still gorgeous!

Lostsoule77
January 8th, 2012, 11:39 AM
<snip>

I know that Jersey Girls and others mimic this kind of peak of hair these days in the center, top of hte head, and frankly, I think it looks kind of silly on most. These people have these really pretty faces and nice bone structure, as you do, and they undo it with this overly focused bit of poof that is distracting for a more complete look.

<snip>

heidi w.

Bolded by me

As a Jersey girl born & bred I haven't seen this style on anyone I know or around me since the early 90's. The only "Jersey Girls" I have seen this on is the Jersey Shore commercials (don't watch the show) and other TV shows. The people on Jersey Shore aren't from Jersey, but from Stanten Island, NY which is it's own world (no offense to anyone from there.) The only other Jersey people who have it are people stuck in the past pretty much.

Just thought I'd throw that out there. Don't know if you know any "Jersey Girls" IRL and wanted to help fix that misconception.