PDA

View Full Version : Tried Himalaya Herbals Protein Shampoo & I'm in love :)

vatikagirl
January 6th, 2012, 02:29 PM
So I was just mentioning this in "Castor oil for hair growth" thread and thought why not share it out here too.

I started using this shampoo about 4-5 months ago and saw the difference from the first wash itself, I shed less hair, my scalp was fresh and happy, my hair was nor dry neither oily they were just perfectly moisturised, didnt have any frizz. So in all I thing I have found my holy grail. I just hope they never change the formula.

This shampoo is free of SLS/ALS, parabens, cones, synthetic colors and any kind of artificial foaming agents.

I shall jot down whole label down here I guess, for you to have better idea.

"Natural protein nourishment
Enriched with extracts of protein-rich herbs, our new shampoo range nourishes your hair, giving you the three essential benefits that your hair needs - strength, reduced hair fall and protection from everday damage.
Amild formulation for those who have an active lifestyle that requires frequent shampooing. Gently cleanses and provides your hair its daily dose of proteins. Keeps your hair soft, smooth and healthy

Key Ingredients:
Chickpea: Rich source of natural protein.
Amla & Black Myrobala: Natual hair tonics that strengthen hair roots
Licorice: Helps promote hair growth.

Directions: Massage gently into wet hair & scalp. Rinse thoroughly. Repeat if necessary.

Safe to use on artificially coloured or permed hair

Each ml contains: Extracts.
Amalaki (Embilica officinalis) 4mg
Haritaki (Terminalia chebula) 4mg
Bhringaraja (Eclipta prostrata) 3.4mg
Chanaka (Cicer arietinum) 3.4mg
Yashtimadhu (Glycyrrhiza glabra) 2.2mg
Bibhitaka (Terminalia bellirica) 2mg
Madayanti (Lawsonia inermis) 1mg

Inactives: Sodium Benzoate IP, Potassium Sorbate, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone.

Ayurvedic Proprietary Medicine.
Clinically proven for effectiveness."

Woah... that took up some time... so there it is... 100% herbal actives shampoo along with few inactives which are:

Sodium benzoate has the chemical formula NaC6H5CO2; it is a widely used food preservative.
Potassium sorbate is the potassium salt of sorbic acid, chemical formula C6H7KO2. Its primary use is as a food preservative. Potassium sorbate is effective in a variety of applications including food, wine, and personal care products.
Methylchloroisothiazolinone is a preservative with antibacterial and antifungal effects within the group of isothiazolinones. It is effective against gram-positive and gram-negative bacteria, yeast, and fungi.
Methylisothiazolinone is another preservative.

So in all herbal actives and preservatives thats it.

This is the site for info: http://www.himalayahealthcare.com/products/protein-shampoo-gentle-daily-care-NH.htm

Has anyone tried this shampoo?!! Or any other from himalaya herbals range, please share your views on it.
I would love to hear whether this is really a miracle product or just my mind playing up. :)

battles
January 6th, 2012, 02:48 PM
Guhhh. If only my hair liked protein. :(

jojo
January 6th, 2012, 03:39 PM
My hair loves protein and you are a naughty enabler...hurry up pay day!!!!

heres a UK link http://uk.ebid.net/for-sale/uk-herbal-himalaya-protein-shampoo-softness-and-shine-41423105.htm

Kapri
January 6th, 2012, 04:07 PM
I got into a state off product fever and bought some!! Thanks for the link JoJo!

Kapri
January 6th, 2012, 04:32 PM
Thanks too for the recommendation vatikagirl!

vatikagirl
January 6th, 2012, 05:00 PM
You are welcome girls ;) I hope this one does wonders for your hair too.
Dont forget to post a review. I'm using the gentle daily care version and I guess you guys are going for softness & shine version, we can compare notes... sounds like fun. :)

Kapri
January 7th, 2012, 02:30 AM
ooh I didn't realise there were a variety of versions. I just went on to e-bay in my product frenzy and bought a bottle!!! I will check the original site and see what I have actually ordered!!! Yes, will review.

Kapri
January 7th, 2012, 02:39 AM
It seems that I have bought a two in one shampoo for all hair types. That was what was available on e0bay. I should have checked with the main site. NOt sure what I think about the two in one approach as far as scalp health is concerned but will see how I get on. The gentle daily might be not nourishing enough for my fine, coloured hair with oily roots but the extra moisturising might be too rich in terms of weighing the hair down. At least the one I have ordered is for all hair types.

Vatika girl is your hair dyed? How would you describe your hair? Do you also use a conditioner?

Many thanks Kapri

Here are the details of my shampoo:
Softness & Shine
All Hair Types

A 2-in-1 formulation that cleanses and conditions in one step, making your hair silky smooth and radiant. Provides your hair its daily dose of proteins, keeping it soft, lustrous and healthy.Composition
Protein Shampoo Softness & Shine contains the following ingredients:

Beansprout is a rich source of natural proteins.

Helianthus annus (Sunflower), Lotus and Achillea millefolium ( Yarrow) are effective conditioners for hair and scalp.

Emblica officinalis ( Amla) is a natural hair tonic.

vatikagirl
January 7th, 2012, 02:57 AM
Hey Kapri, I totally understand your product frenzy state... I belong to that cult too. :)

My hair is never dyed, I do henna twice a year just to condition my hair- last henna application was 8 months back, I have never permed, never heat styled, never blow-dryed. Infact my hair fall in catagory of virgin hair I guess.
I have dark brown-black hair. It has wavy texture and tends to frizz up in humid atmosphere.
I never use conditioner on my hair as they are all loaded with chemicals. I tried ACV rinses but my hair started doing reddish with that so stopped it, though I loved the way that made my hair shine.
I shall try to put up some snaps.

About your shampoo order, I dont think the 2 in 1 shampoo shall be much different as they all are herbal. Cant say much about it as I havent used it yet.

Kapri
January 7th, 2012, 03:03 AM
Vatika Girl,

Thank you for understanding product madness ! I think I will be patient then and see how I get on with the 2 in 1 version and then try your version next if that is not working. Your hair will have different needs from mine and yes some snaps would be great!

I am looking forward to reviewing! Kapri

terpentyna
January 7th, 2012, 03:06 AM
Oh wow, Himalaya Herbals is terrible for me (conditioner, oil) but I have yet to try the shampoo...

vatikagirl
January 7th, 2012, 03:07 AM
Kapri, forgot to ask you, how would you describe your hair?
I got to know from your profile that its almost straight and fine, but dont know what is the colour and condition of your hair.

vatikagirl
January 7th, 2012, 03:10 AM
terpentyna, I dont use conditioners so cant say much about it, all I can say is sorry that didn't work for you.

Loreley
January 7th, 2012, 03:41 AM
I've seen this shampoo in a webstore I order from a couple of times a year but I didn't dare to order it. Next time I'll probably buy it. :D
I have a question, though: does it make hair squeaky clean?

Yosha
January 7th, 2012, 04:00 AM
One of my friends loves her Himalaya shampoo and got me a sample. I don't know what version it was, but as far as I remember the ingredients are quite similar to the ones in the first post. It cleaned very well, and I got a decent amount of foam, but my scalp got irritated (same as I have with SL(E)S). Could be from the methylchloriosothiazolinone (http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/ingredient.php?ingred06=703924) and/or the methylisothiazolinone (http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/ingredient.php?ingred06=703935). Not sure they put this stuff in all their shampoos, if anyone finds a version without these two I'd be interested in retrying this brand!
Edit: yes it got my hair very clean, not sure it was squeaky but my hair liked it. But I can only compare to other non-SL(E)S shampoos, since my hair is used to those. Compared to SL(E)S shampoos it may be less cleaning, but that's just my guess.

vatikagirl
January 7th, 2012, 04:01 AM
Yeap it does make hair clean but the main difference with this shampoo is that you will notice your hair is nicely conditioned after the rinse off. It wont squeak but you will feel it clean and shiny in shower itself.
I'm never a huge fan of squeaky clean as I know it is a sign of dry hair after it is dried off.
Goodluck with your experiment and hope it works for you too.

Kapri
January 7th, 2012, 04:40 AM
Vatikagirl,

My hair is fine, a tiny bit bendy (ie not dead straight), has thinnish fragile ends. It is cut into a long collar bone length blunt bob but has a ferw layers still growing down. I quite like the effect of the growing out layers but they do make the ends look more spindly.

I have a slightly oily scalp and a tendency to hair loss (deal with that with iron tablets,diet etc). I am equally concerned with scalp health as with hair health.

It is dyed natural dark blonde (roots only once a month because the white hairs show through) with a slight hint of warmth...so the dye (organic but still chemical) impacts on the condition.

I wash it once every 3 days or so.

There! A lot of detail for you!

Avital88
January 7th, 2012, 04:57 AM
hi there, thank you for mentioning it.. Next time im in the himalaya shop i will buy one for sure, im almost running out of oil too so i guess i have to go soon!

vatikagirl
January 7th, 2012, 05:01 AM
Thanks for the details Kapri, I guess scalp massages with castor oil or any other oil as a matter of fact, can do you good.
Thanks again for the details, this will be helpful when comparing notes. :)

vatikagirl
January 7th, 2012, 05:07 AM
Yosha, as you have mentioned in your profile that your hair likes Indian herbs but your scalp hates it, I guess this might be the problem with your experiment, as this shampoo is loaded with Indian herbs that may be the reason your hair liked it but your scalp got irritated.
Just a guess.

vatikagirl
January 7th, 2012, 05:09 AM
Avital88, goodluck with your experiment. Please do post your review so that we can get some more idea.
Good day.

jojo
January 7th, 2012, 05:12 AM
make sure you write a review in the review section at the top of the page.

and thanks for the recommendation!

Kapri
January 7th, 2012, 05:21 AM
Yes Vatikagirl and JoJo,

I'll let you know when a review is due! I am looking forward to this....

Yosha
January 7th, 2012, 06:21 AM
Yosha, as you have mentioned in your profile that your hair likes Indian herbs but your scalp hates it, I guess this might be the problem with your experiment, as this shampoo is loaded with Indian herbs that may be the reason your hair liked it but your scalp got irritated.
Just a guess.
Hmm you have a point there, I forgot about my experiment! Anyway I heard good things about this brand, and I know my scalp is difficult, so I'm just having bad luck I guess :(

Loreley
January 7th, 2012, 06:30 AM
Yeap it does make hair clean but the main difference with this shampoo is that you will notice your hair is nicely conditioned after the rinse off. It wont squeak but you will feel it clean and shiny in shower itself.
I'm never a huge fan of squeaky clean as I know it is a sign of dry hair after it is dried off.

Oh, that sounds great! I hate when my hair is squeaky clean after rinsing. So that's one more reason to try it. :D

vatikagirl
January 7th, 2012, 07:11 AM
Yosha, thats perfectly all right.... kudos for trying in the least.

Loreley, I guess you're on same page as me for not liking all squeaky clean feeling while washing hair. Claps :)

doctorvkp1
January 7th, 2012, 07:50 AM
hey i have been using this shampoo for quite some time now.... Most of the long haired ladies in india are using this shampoo

starshade
January 7th, 2012, 11:28 AM
Hi vatikagirl,
I've used this shampoo (or some version of it, maybe) a no of times, though not at present. My hair seemed to like it. Like you said, it cleaned, but didn't make it squeaky clean, was fairly mild and made my hair really soft. Most shampoos, even ones supposedly for my hair-type, make my hair pretty rough. Strangely though, I don't like their hair oils. Plus, the price is great!

vatikagirl
January 7th, 2012, 02:05 PM
Doctorvkp1, thanks for that info, I'm an Indian but didnt know that but the fact is I dont reside in India, so forgive me.

Starshade, thanks for the input. Good to know that you liked it.

vatikagirl
January 7th, 2012, 02:07 PM
Hey Kapri, as promised I shall be posting few snaps on the Mane forum. Check it out.

Loreley
January 27th, 2012, 10:43 AM
I tried the anti-hairfall one today but I didn't like it. :( Actually, I thought they were sulfate-free but no. It has Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate in it. For me it's not gentle enough, not because it contains sulfates but because it made my hair very dry.
I usually use a completely sulfate-free baby shampoo which is extremely mild, it remains my favourite. Maybe the ones with protein are better, I don't know. :confused:

cuties
January 27th, 2012, 11:46 AM
I have tried the Protein shampoo and although my hair loved it, my scalp did not. It made my scalp very itchy, I have a very sensitive scalp. I didn't even need to use conditioner with it at times.