PDA

View Full Version : Question on hair brush

Fireflymagic
January 6th, 2012, 12:00 PM
I am just confused on buying a hair brush. I would prefer a boar bristle one. The current one wont penetrate to my scalp even though i have thin hair.
Is there any difference in a ladies brush and men's brush? Can i use a men's hair brush? Is the difference is only on the shape and number of bristles? Will it cause any damage to my hair?

princesitamaria
January 6th, 2012, 12:22 PM
I have a bbb and I got a wood comb to get out the tangles before I wash- and I would not think that there would be a big diference just that mens brushes are for short hair and with long hair you need longer bristles cause it gets so thick. Thats why I use the wood comb too.

Mommyof4
January 6th, 2012, 12:26 PM
One of my BBB's has bristles in it that have rubber edges, like a paddle brush, with the BB's mixed in.. I use that one to detangle before I wash.. They have them at Walmart and Sally's :D

Madora
January 6th, 2012, 12:54 PM
I am just confused on buying a hair brush. I would prefer a boar bristle one. The current one wont penetrate to my scalp even though i have thin hair.
Is there any difference in a ladies brush and men's brush? Can i use a men's hair brush? Is the difference is only on the shape and number of bristles? Will it cause any damage to my hair?

Whether or not the pure boar bristle brush will penetrate your scalp hair depends on the stiffness of the bristles.

Boar bristle brushes come with different stiffnesses (or lack thereof). With age, the stiffness will lessen. Also, boar bristles can vary in thickness and length..and can come in white/black/blonde/brown colors.

If at all possible, you want to get a brush that has at least 5 rows of bristles and one that is ergonomically pleasant to use. It should also lay flat when placed on its back. Rounded brushes are meant for short hair. Also, I wouldn't recommend a man's bbb as it is meant for very short hair.

Bbbs can be found at Target/Walgreen's/K-Mart/Walmart/Sally's Beauty Supply. Be sure it says 100 pure boar bristle--either on the brush on or the packaging. Many brushes claim to be boar bristle brushes but are in fact a mixture of boar bristles and plastic. Plastic is not good for your hair.

Try and select your bbb in person--test the stiffness of the bristles with your fingers by fanning them and see how they feel (how much resistance is in the bristles). You want a moderate resistence..not too stiff and definitely not too soft.

There's been a lot said about the failure of the bbb to penetrate hair. This is true--depending on the thickness of your hair, the stiffness of the bristles, and the way you brush your hair. There is more than one way to use your bbb when brushing.

No matter what type of bbb you choose, be sure to ALWAYS detangle your hair with a wide tooth comb FIRST. As a prelude to the detangling, you might want to gently fingercomb your hair, then begin the detangling process (always starting at the bottom of the strands, and then working up them, bit by bit, until you reach the roots).

pepperminttea
January 6th, 2012, 01:28 PM
Silly question, but are you buying it for detangling? If so, avoid bristle brushes, they're meant to be used on already-detangled hair.

ALongSummerWind
January 6th, 2012, 01:57 PM
What is the best brand of bbb?
I have one but want a really good one mine is to fine for my hair and doesn't brush to my scalp

Madora
January 6th, 2012, 03:50 PM
What is the best brand of bbb?
I have one but want a really good one mine is to fine for my hair and doesn't brush to my scalp

That is a matter of opinion as there is no one "best brand". You need to see the brush in person to test the bristles with your fingers, to see how it feels in your hand, and how many rows of bristles it has.

Kent of London makes superior brushes..with prices to match.

Boar bristle brushes don't always penetrate the scalp. A lot depends on your hair's thickness/the stiffness of the bristles/how you brush. How you use the brush determines how well your hair responds (or not) to the brushing. There's more than one way to brush..just depends on your preference.

jeanniet
January 6th, 2012, 04:44 PM
I have not tried Kent brushes, but have heard good things about them. I have tried a number of Mason Pearson brushes, and while they are expensive, they are absolutely top quality. I've used cheaper BBBs and there is definitely a difference (a big one) in the quality of the bristles.

Long_hair_bear
January 6th, 2012, 04:49 PM
I have a $3 one from Walmart called evolve styling brush and I think it's works just fine. Try looking there first. If not, go to Sally's.

cheetahfast
January 6th, 2012, 04:59 PM
Mine glides over my hair. I don't think it really needs to penetrate. I could be wrong. but I'm happy with mine and it works. I just use it occasionally after combing :shrug:.